• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong | OT | IGNorant Ape

Sentenza

I was able to craft it after beating Cyan Loong but did not have the materials. Both wikis say you unlock it after beating Cyan Loong, but you need to beat Yellow Loong to get the Kun Steel drop. I think for Yellow Loong to even spawn, you need to beat the three others. Not sure about that though.
I'm not sure when you exactly get the recipe, I can't remember, but the point is that the craft requires ALL the materials you get from the killing of all four dragons.
Otherwise you'll be always short on something.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I'm not sure when you exactly get the recipe, I can't remember, but the point is that the craft requires ALL the materials you get from the killing of all four dragons.
Otherwise you'll be always short on something.
Yeah, definitely need to beat all four because it's the reward for the questline. I think you need to beat the first 3 for Yellow Loong to spawn. During the cinematic after his defeat, the old sage tells him, "All your three brothers have been defeated", so I assume they must have been dealt with to fight him, unless of course, a different line of dialogue is said.

Didn't know you could upgrade it though. I just beat Yellow Loong in NG+ yesterday. From memory, do you recall the damage? Hard to part with the tri-spear that has 135 attack, 6% crit chance, and that incredible Thrust Stance special. I used Golden Loong for the rest of the game after acquiring it and changed it in NG+.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Yeah, definitely need to beat all four because it's the reward for the questline. I think you need to beat the first 3 for Yellow Loong to spawn. During the cinematic after his defeat, the old sage tells him, "All your three brothers have been defeated", so I assume they must have been dealt with to fight him, unless of course, a different line of dialogue is said.

Didn't know you could upgrade it though. I just beat Yellow Loong in NG+ yesterday. From memory, do you recall the damage? Hard to part with the tri-spear that has 135 attack, 6% crit chance, and that incredible Thrust Stance special. I used Golden Loong for the rest of the game after acquiring it and changed it in NG+.
My favorite is the "end game" staff, anyway. That set bonus PLUS not losing focus when you reach 4 points is too good.
From what I remember the Loong staff upgraded has slightly higher damage(140 vs 135 or something like that) and critic chance than the above.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It was situational af but most of the times it helped. On some bosses if timed correctly, I could just cast the snake skill, the clones and just watch the boss hp get drained to half easily. Sadly most of the times they'd get crowd controlled or they couldnt do shit since due to the boss mechanics/invincibility moments. I would certainly invest points in it.
What is the snake skill? The invisibility?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Nope. You get the Golden Loong Staff before. It’s just not craftable. You get it after beating Cyan Loong.

Because you did. You just don't get the necessary materials until defeating Yellow Loong who drops the Kun Steel needed to craft it.

Upgrade them maybe? I've been told maxed Pluck of Many can take almost half of the health of late-game bosses.
I wrote in my post that i upgraded them to max before using them, still no great result.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Played 30min and didnt really enjoy it and moved on.
When does this game click for most people? lol
If you are in search for a bigger challenge, let's say from chapt 3, althought chap 2 has a couple of decently challenging bosses.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
What is the snake skill? The invisibility?

Spirit transformation. Tho its better with the whole poison build which you can get around the caves chapter, with the spiders.

That being said, I wouldnt worry too much about builds if bosses dont pose a challenge for you atm, sadly you get the best gear automatically at the end which kinda defeats the whole purpose of gearing up, but I suppose theres some gimmicky builds that I may now be aware that are better than it, dunno.

SkylineRKR

You need to beat all 4 Loongs indeed. And the Duskveil. In NG+ you only need to beat 3 Loongs for the stronger staff, so you can ignore Yellow.

I now made the Fuban. Its probably the best though I do miss the shock damage from the Loong staff. For this one all you need to do is beat 2 bosses out of the Fuban chapter 2, and Chapter 4 Scorpionlord and final boss. I did the latter 2 since that secret area is very easy to open (it takes only 2 boss fights in the hollows) plus I accidentally skipped the scorpion first time. Fuban staff has 25% base crit. Which is about 45% when your stats are maxed, can be further enhanced by pills and cloud step. The gourd from Scorpion is great in combination with the pilgrim set, as it makes you sip super fast on top of being super fast in general.

A problem is that I really like Rock Solid, but there is almost no reason to drop cloud step for the utility it has. You can safely charge a level 4 inside RoF, you can heal and buff, wait out super attacks etc. Its too useful. I wish RS had some sort of great buff upon using or a bigger knockdown. Perhaps it should be buffed.

Never really used Pluck of Many. Too much mana that is better spent using other spells more frequently. A really underrated one is Cloud Step. It's amazing for stepping out of dicey situations and can give you free heals and buffing time. I heard Fire Ring is also really good. Saw a strategy of a guy just using Pillar Stance in the middle of the ring against Scorpion Lord and he didn't even use one sip. Whatever damage Scorpion Lord dealt, he recovered it inside the ring. Seemed like an easy cheesy strategy. People also don't use their vessels enough. Wind Tamer is a free stun that leaves bosses open for a few seconds. At the point you're facing Scorpion Lord, you might have also unlocked Yellow Lining or Ebon Flow. Both can do 30% of his health.
The ring is extremely good. You almost can't die in it and focus charges in it as well. But, if a boss is in water its useless though it works against the final boss.

You can use pluck of many without unlocking the last orb, it saves mana. And you can equip 3 (or 4 in NG+) Thunderbane curios which can be farmed from those thunder casters in the thunderclap temple.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just about done with chapter 2. Tiger bro was the only challenging part (didn't have pluck of many yet, which seems really strong).

It's fun stacking the abilities and spells I guess. Aggravating when your final smashes miss for no apparent reason or your big spells get interrupted, but at least for the latter you can set things up with cloud step.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Just about done with chapter 2. Tiger bro was the only challenging part (didn't have pluck of many yet, which seems really strong).

It's fun stacking the abilities and spells I guess. Aggravating when your final smashes miss for no apparent reason or your big spells get interrupted, but at least for the latter you can set things up with cloud step.

When you unlock the ability to use heavy attacks in cloud step

Star Wars Fun GIF by MOODMAN

Gaiff

Beat the Chapter's final boss yet? If not, let us know how it is. He's generally considered the hardest or at the very least, second hardest boss up to that point.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Beat the Chapter's final boss yet? If not, let us know how it is. He's generally considered the hardest or at the very least, second hardest boss up to that point.
Ah, I'll check back in afterwards then.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's time! Post your top 5 boss fights, ranked by difficulty:

1. Erlang
2. Hundred-eyed daoist master
3. Yellow Loong
4. Scorpion lord
5. Yaksha King

Special mention to the Cyan Loong, which I was fucking up so hard that the poor fellow wasn't able to enter his second phase. :lollipop_tongue:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I can confirm that Yellow Wind Sage is still hard on NG+. I destroyed everyone thanks to Erland's bane and pluck of manys doing my heavy attacks, but yellow wind sage is the first boss on NG+ that actually defeated me. Not once but three times. Had to switch to my spirit to finish him off because the mother fucker just wouldnt stop attacking and all my dodge skills have left me since i no longer need to use it.

I feel bad for people trying this boss without the wind vessel.

Gaiff

1. Erlang
3. Yellow Loong
4. Scorpion lord
5. Yaksha King

Special mention to the Cyan Loong, which I was fucking up so hard that the poor fellow wasn't able to enter his second phase. :lollipop_tongue:
Assuming you fight them as soon as possible.

1. Yellow Loong
2. Yin Tiger
3. Erlang Shen
4. Great Sage's Broken Shell
5. Scorpion Lord

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Assuming you fight them as soon as possible.

1. Yellow Loong
2. Yin Tiger
3. Erlang Shen
4. Great Sage's Broken Shell
5. Scorpionlord
That's a good ranking too. Forgot about Yin Tiger, took me quite a few tries until I was able to beat him.

If there's one thing I didn't liek about his fight is the damn grab attack, those feel kinda cheap on every boss but specially on this one since the dude will do it right after reappearing.

Gaiff

That's a good ranking too. Forgot about Yin Tiger, took me quite a few tries until I was able to beat him.

If there's one thing I didn't liek about his fight is the damn grab attack, those feel kinda cheap on every boss but specially on this one since the dude will do it right after reappearing.
That's a problem throughout the whole game. Generally, grab attacks are highly telegraphed and predictable because if they do connect, they're unblockable and do a lot of damage. In this game, they come out in like 10 frames without a wind-up or warning.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
how high wtf GIF

nLJSJcx.jpeg

Some textures have a reaaaaally low definition, they stand out a lot imo especially when everything else is looking so good. Also I would love a minimap, I know design choice blablabla, it's still annoying.

Other than that I really enjoy the game so far.

SkylineRKR

I can confirm that Yellow Wind Sage is still hard on NG+. I destroyed everyone thanks to Erland's bane and pluck of manys doing my heavy attacks, but yellow wind sage is the first boss on NG+ that actually defeated me. Not once but three times. Had to switch to my spirit to finish him off because the mother fucker just wouldnt stop attacking and all my dodge skills have left me since i no longer need to use it.

I feel bad for people trying this boss without the wind vessel.

I beat him easily on NG+. You can stun him a lot and he isn't hard to counterflow. I used the wind vessel when he made the area full of sandstorms. I never saw him dropping the beetles this time, I think he was dead before he would enter this phase.

1. Erlang
3. Yellow Loong
4. Scorpion lord
5. Yaksha King

This is a good list. I just beat 2, 4 and 5 on NG+. I died to all of those still. But number 2 is actually easy if you use the needle on the dark phase, I never had it equipped in my runs though, lol. If you don't use it his final part is straight up bullshit.

But you can lay waste on them with transformation, spirit, spells rotation. I however don't use cloud step in NG+, so its a bit harder overall. On the flip side, Ring of Fire keeps me near invincible. And I always ignored banes resistance, yet it can make fights absolutely easier, a lot of them have an element.

NeoLed

That's a problem throughout the whole game. Generally, grab attacks are highly telegraphed and predictable because if they do connect, they're unblockable and do a lot of damage. In this game, they come out in like 10 frames without a wind-up or warning.
Yin Tiger telegraph
When he disappear,
If he speak, it will be a multi slash attack
If he didn't say anything, it will be a grab attack
If he didn't say anything and there is a crater, he is doing a jump attack

Gaiff

Didn’t die to one boss in NG+ yet and I just finished Chapter 4. The trident with thrust stance does absurd damage. Plus, you always got Azure Dome in a pinch. You can also use the resurrection spell. The Destined One becomes insanely powerful.

Sentenza Sentenza Are you are we can upgrade the Golden Loong Staff? I don’t see this option anywhere.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I love this weapon ability and watching everyone of my clones attack in sync is simply wonderful. Just destroying bosses left and right with this build. I had planned on switching to Pillar stance for NG+ but this is such much fun.

xCNPear.gif

Love the crit damage too. Ive gone up as high as 7000 on a big head baby's hit that got the crit bonus.

Gonzito

Man what is wrong with texture streaming in this game? Some textures are absolutely awful, like FF7 Remake/Rebirth levels of bad. I thought UE5 would fix this shit.

GymWolf

Gold Member
how high wtf GIF

nLJSJcx.jpeg

Some textures have a reaaaaally low definition, they stand out a lot imo especially when everything else is looking so good. Also I would love a minimap, I know design choice blablabla, it's still annoying.

Other than that I really enjoy the game so far.
Chap 2 is full choke of these bad textures.
You literally have some rocky walls with 3 different tiers of textures close to each other :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

SlimySnake

Man what is wrong with texture streaming in this game? Some textures are absolutely awful, like FF7 Remake/Rebirth levels of bad. I thought UE5 would fix this shit.
Same. It makes no sense because Nanite was sold as this big fix for texture streaming but maybe us laymen simply misunderstood it.

The worst part is that even on cinematic textures, the game is using just 6.5 GB of vram. Why? This is a next gen game that literally goes out of its way to make every single visual effect next gen, and then they skimp out on vram? I was watching the first three trailers they posted on their channel including the UE5 test, and the textures are way better. Lighting was downgraded too, but its still excellent so im not too upset about that. Several boss fights and scenarios were also cut but we might get them in DLC. But the texture downgrade makes no sense to me.

Found this classic Chinese animation movie from the 1960s which is all about Wukong's first rebellion against the celestial court, recently uploaded to Youtube with English subtitles, It ends right before the Buddha shows up so the movie can have a happy ending.

ZehDon

Oh boy, that Yellow Wind Sage in Chapter 2. I really do wish designers of these games would realise that fucking with visibility is not a difficulty mechanic - it's just un-fun. From Soft went overboard in Shadow of Erdtree, and it really spoiled a few of the fights.

Fortunately I beat the secret boss, but I didn't realise that the item was designed to counter the boss's sandstorm until I did some reading. The more you know, I guess. I'll try again tomorrow.

Last edited:

Gaiff

Same. It makes no sense because Nanite was sold as this big fix for texture streaming but maybe us laymen simply misunderstood it.
The way I understood it is that Nanite is purely for geometry. Virtual Textures can be used in conjunction with Nanite to achieve with texture data what Nanites does with mesh data. They’re independent though and you can have high-quality texture stream, high-quality geometry, or both. It would appear Wukong makes extensive use of Nanite but not Virtual Textures.

SkylineRKR

Didn’t die to one boss in NG+ yet and I just finished Chapter 4. The trident with thrust stance does absurd damage. Plus, you always got Azure Dome in a pinch. You can also use the resurrection spell. The Destined One becomes insanely powerful.

Sentenza Sentenza Are you are we can upgrade the Golden Loong Staff? I don’t see this option anywhere.

It should be in the same tree in NG+. Its the Stormflash. Remove your shock bane resistances when using it though. Its very good. I have both this and the Fuban and I am not sure, I feel Fuban doesn't crit that much more with heavy strikes and I lose the shock.

Also don't forget to beat the Yin Tiger again for another curio slot.

draliko

Got to chapter 6 (forgot about secret area in 5 and now I miss one Boss... Damn I'll need to go Ng+) switching build was mandatory for scorpionlord and yellow bit*h loong... Now last stretch and Ng+ maybe (not so sure, sincerely missing playing a mmorpg, unsure if worth going back to wow or ff14 until Christmas)

Eszti

Banned
this game is actually very easy if you use everything the game gives you. especially the special items for bosses that you have to obtain through side quests. i had no issue with anyone besides the snake guy in chapter 1. it doesnt even really matter how you are speced didnt need to respec once. and i fucking terrible at something like elden ring but this was relatively easy. map design is terrible tho

SkylineRKR

Got to chapter 6 (forgot about secret area in 5 and now I miss one Boss... Damn I'll need to go Ng+) switching build was mandatory for scorpionlord and yellow bit*h loong... Now last stretch and Ng+ maybe (not so sure, sincerely missing playing a mmorpg, unsure if worth going back to wow or ff14 until Christmas)

Those secret areas aren't missable. Since you beat chapter 5 you have already beaten all Carts, so you can exhaust the NPC dialogue at the first shrine, and then go to the Emerald shrine where he is standing in the spot where the final cart fight was. And then go to the cooling slope shrine area that opens up after the ball to start the secret area.

draliko

Those secret areas aren't missable. Since you beat chapter 5 you have already beaten all Carts, so you can exhaust the NPC dialogue at the first shrine, and then go to the Emerald shrine where he is standing in the spot where the final cart fight was. And then go to the cooling slope shrine area that opens up after the ball to start the secret area.
The bull was nowhere to be found, reading on Reddit seemed quite common "misstep", in the end I found it again (took quite a bit of area resets) and was able to complete the secret area, now I can tackle chapter 6 💪

Gaiff

Nah, the Gold Cart isn't needed to complete the chapter.

SkylineRKR

Lol i one shot secret boss
Erlang.
But died in phase 2. This is much tougher in NG+. You can absolutely die in the first half if you get hit a few times and have no focus for regen stomps. Hit him twice, evade or rock solid. Dont spam.

At 50%, with the fire fists, you have won.

MrJangles

Neo Member
Probably been asked but how difficult is this game? I don't mind a game with a few challenging sections but I just don't have the time or patience for these ultra hard games like Sekiro or Demons Souls.

SkylineRKR

Probably been asked but how difficult is this game? I don't mind a game with a few challenging sections but I just don't have the time or patience for these ultra hard games like Sekiro or Demons Souls.

Its absolutely not easy. Some bosses will be a roadblock. I'd say its on par with Souls, but with no penalty if you die.

Top Bottom