• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2015 |OT| Dan Cleary was re-signed

Quick

Banned
you didnt include me on the list, im not just a gigantic weeaboo man.

what type of stick did you cut down? typically if you cut a composite too short, you can put a plug in the top to extend it. but if it was wood, youre out of luck.

ive never really had issues with freezing with a cage, what weather conditions are you playing in?

Sorry TUSR-kun. :'''''(

Yeah, it's wood. It was cheap anyway, so it's not a big deal. It's fine for shots. I have a composite that gets the most use, so the wood's relegated to backup.

As for the cage, we're talking middle of winter. -10C to -5C. I was thinking of either a full cage or a visor/half-cage combo.

Pikma

Banned
Holy shit, that was bad.

Glad to see Oduya's okay, but refs gave McDavid a free pass on that.
Dirty as fuck, especially because the game never got physical at all so it's not like there was any need for that kind of shit. If Roussel had done it, dude would've ended up with 5 mins in the box, no doubt.

TUSR

Banned
Sorry TUSR-kun. :'''''(

Yeah, it's wood. It was cheap anyway, so it's not a big deal. It's fine for shots. I have a composite that gets the most use, so the wood's relegated to backup.

As for the cage, we're talking middle of winter. -10C to -5C. I was thinking of either a full cage or a visor/half-cage combo.
you still get air circulating through the visor/cage combos

but in cooler weather if you wear contacts you will notice a decent difference compared to a cage for eye comfort

-5 to -10 isn't that bad, I only ever notice my nose getting cold with a half visor

the cage visor combo shouldn't fog up too much more than a half visor

edit: speaking of hockey, I'm not playing on a team this year because I got a huge concussion last year

Slightly off-topic:

Hockey equipment talk time (Fubar? Crazed? Kave?).

I cut down one of my sticks to reach my chin when I'm on skates, and it feels too short. I have trouble taking passes or possession, since I would wrongly perceive the pass and come up short of it or I try to take the puck, and I end up whiffing on it. I may have made a mistake. Not too big a mistake, since I just use it as a backup stick that's more for shooting (I've gotten into a weird habit of constantly flipping between sticks during games).

I'm also looking to buy a new helmet and a cage. My helmet safety expired, and it always felt too small anyway. One thing I'm worried about with a cage is when I play outdoors and possible freezing.

The lie on the blade can also affect your judgement of taking passes/puck handling. One step up or down in the lie of the blade can make a difference of a few inches of how close you typically hold your stick to your body.

Chin - mouth area is a general rule of thumb for height of stick. Slightly longer if you play defense (for poke checks).

That McDavid hit was incredibly terrible. What a joke. No penalty at all?

Slightly off-topic:

I cut down one of my sticks to reach my chin when I'm on skates, and it feels too short. I have trouble taking passes or possession, since I would wrongly perceive the pass and come up short of it or I try to take the puck, and I end up whiffing on it. I may have made a mistake. Not too big a mistake, since I just use it as a backup stick that's more for shooting (I've gotten into a weird habit of constantly flipping between sticks during games).

I'm also looking to buy a new helmet and a cage. My helmet safety expired, and it always felt too small anyway. One thing I'm worried about with a cage is when I play outdoors and possible freezing.

You could try and buy a stick plug to extend the length a bit if you want to kind of go back to what it was before. Easy to install and pretty cheap. Should only be a couple bucks.

As for helmets, I don't know enough about them. I need to buy a new one too. Can't you buy plastic cages? If not the clear plastic full shield bubble. Bauer makes some. I've seen several people use those and like them, although you have to breathe a certain way in order to not fog the shield up occasionally.

EDIT: Oops didn't see your clarification on the stick earlier. I know there are wood plugs but I'm not sure how they work.

Slightly off-topic:

I play pond hockey with a metal cage no problem. Even in the frigid winter we had last year. I have a Bauer helmet.

I have my stick cut to chin length on skates and it works for me. If its not a wood stick just buy a plug extender

EDIT: Oh, it is wood, dunno then. And seeing the temperatures, I still dont think a cage is any issue, I wear a mask underneath when it was that cold. I'm in pittsburgh though, it doesnt get as consistently that cold here as it does in canadaland

Foggy

It would be nice if the Blue Jackets played well today. Although, I'm morbidly curious of what it would take for Todd Richards to be fired.

zroid

Banned
I don't even think he threw a lot of hits in junior. The kid is obviously feeling the pressure huge.

Now that he scored his first goal, hopefully he can relax a bit and just play. Probably not though, he's still going to have a "star cam" focused on him for 60 minutes each game.

I know it's early but I feel he's still not ready yet. But let's see in a few months, he's probably still nervous with all the pressure on him.

Speaking of Pressure, I'm not ready for today's Blue Jays game.

Pikma

Banned
The Score had a really fucking great headline yesterday for their article about McDavid's first goal, it was something like

McDavid scores his first NHL goal, is 893 goals behind Gretzky

Unfortunately, it seems like they removed it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Poor McDavid, he's still trying to learn his own strength. I feel sorry for the kid and wish him the best of luck.

I know you guys got a kick out of that, but ever since then Kreider did do a great job over the course of last season of learning how to use his size and strength in a more controlled and productive manner, so I still stand completely by it. :D

Apropos of nothing, looking forward to seeing Price and the Habs' home opener tomorrow.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Through four games, the #Habs have the 2nd highest score-adjusted Corsi in the NHL at 58.6%. That's new.
Again, we've only played shit teams so far, but there's an obvious change in tactics on the ice. The next few games against the Rangers, Wings and Blues should be more telling about where we're really at.

:lol

Calamari41

41 > 38
I know you guys got a kick out of that, but ever since then Kreider did do a great job over the course of last season of learning how to use his size and strength in a more controlled and productive manner, so I still stand completely by it. :D

Apropos of nothing, looking forward to seeing Price and the Habs' home opener tomorrow.

Haha, I had forgotten where that had come from. I was assuming it was about Our Friend John Scott.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Again, we've only played shit teams so far, but there's an obvious change in tactics on the ice. The next few games against the Rangers, Wings and Blues should be more telling about where we're really at.

:lol

Even Emelin has been decent. Although I think it has more to do with the overall change in the way they play, than him getting any better, plus Petry's influence. He has been hitting more though.

imBask

Banned
Even Emelin has been decent. Although I think it has more to do with the overall change in the way they play, than him getting any better, plus Petry's influence. He has been hitting more though.

Petry is to Emelin what Markov was to Komisarek

trade Emelin as soon as a team is willing to bite

Parch

McDavid got away with one there. I thought for sure it would be a penalty when I saw it.
He's big enough that he can dish it out, or more correctly he's big enough that he can take a fair amount of physical play which I'm sure he'll get a lot of. He'll only get stronger too.

Oilers are trying to really focus on team defense and it's not really working. The goaltending has kept them in games. It also means they're not creating enough chances and not finishing the ones they get. They have to open it up and let the kids fly. Otherwise it's going to be another long season of mediocrity.

Dear Calamari41,

Today, two teams collide.

The Ducks and the Coyotes.

May Ryan Getzlaf shit himself and be forced out of the game in shame. Aside from that, may it be a competitive, well played match.

Pikma

Banned
Jays will lose!

Edit: Stars recalled McKenzie and placed Eaves on IR
:(

Hopefully McKenzie doesn't play like he did in the preseason

Slightly off-topic:

As TUSR said, you can put a plug on it if it is a composite stick, but with it being wood you are kinda out luck there. I actually prefer shorter stick (though I'm also not a tall guy) as I seem to have much better puck control overall and it doesn't hamper my shot.

Since it is a backup stick I wouldn't fret about it, keep giving it a try and if worse comes to worse, get a new backup stick (you can get even some composites now a days that are decent for pretty cheap).

In terms of a helmet, I haven't used a cage since high school but I also wear glasses when I play so a cage prevents me from being able to adjust them quickly. You can always wear a half head fleece or whatever they are called underneath your cage because those won't really get in the way and will keep you warm. I find though when I'm playing even outdoors that my face stays pretty warm.

When looking at a new helmet, go to a store to look at them and mess with all the adjustments, if you can't get one to feel right while in the store, than you probably won't be able to get it to feel right when playing. Helmets now a days have a ton of ways to adjust them too.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Not surprised by some of the lineup changes in practice today. McIlrath didn't really impress as much as I'd have liked yesterday, though it was a tough game to judge him in, and Tanner Glass is, well, a constant in all our lives.

Practice lines today:

Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Stepan-Hayes
Miller-Lindberg-Stalberg
Etem/Stoll-Moore-Fast

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Yandle-Klein

This is the first time since that start of the season that Etem has practiced on a real line, albeit only alternating with Stoll. Wonder if that means we'll see him making his regular season Rangers debut tomorrow.

Quick

Banned
Thanks for the tips, everyone. NHL-GAF hockey game will happen one day!

you still get air circulating through the visor/cage combos

but in cooler weather if you wear contacts you will notice a decent difference compared to a cage for eye comfort

-5 to -10 isn't that bad, I only ever notice my nose getting cold with a half visor

the cage visor combo shouldn't fog up too much more than a half visor

edit: speaking of hockey, I'm not playing on a team this year because I got a huge concussion last year

Sorry to hear about your concussion. :(

The lie on the blade can also affect your judgement of taking passes/puck handling. One step up or down in the lie of the blade can make a difference of a few inches of how close you typically hold your stick to your body.

Chin - mouth area is a general rule of thumb for height of stick. Slightly longer if you play defense (for poke checks).

I should've chopped it down to around mouth level instead of going fully down to the chin. Ah well. At worst, it's good for ball hockey. But it works fine, just need to get used to the length of it.

As for helmets, I don't know enough about them. I need to buy a new one too. Can't you buy plastic cages? If not the clear plastic full shield bubble. Bauer makes some. I've seen several people use those and like them, although you have to breathe a certain way in order to not fog the shield up occasionally.

I'm debating between a full cage, or half cage with a visor. I guess my only concern is fogging up the visor, especially when I'm outside. I've seen those Bauer full shield bubbles, that was actually my first choice, but again, fogging issues.

I play pond hockey with a metal cage no problem. Even in the frigid winter we had last year. I have a Bauer helmet.

I have my stick cut to chin length on skates and it works for me. If its not a wood stick just buy a plug extender

EDIT: Oh, it is wood, dunno then. And seeing the temperatures, I still dont think a cage is any issue, I wear a mask underneath when it was that cold. I'm in pittsburgh though, it doesnt get as consistently that cold here as it does in canadaland

I'd probably just need to get used to the length. It's weird. I guess that's what happens when you play with different sized sticks.

As TUSR said, you can put a plug on it if it is a composite stick, but with it being wood you are kinda out luck there. I actually prefer shorter stick (though I'm also not a tall guy) as I seem to have much better puck control overall and it doesn't hamper my shot.

Since it is a backup stick I wouldn't fret about it, keep giving it a try and if worse comes to worse, get a new backup stick (you can get even some composites now a days that are decent for pretty cheap).

In terms of a helmet, I haven't used a cage since high school but I also wear glasses when I play so a cage prevents me from being able to adjust them quickly. You can always wear a half head fleece or whatever they are called underneath your cage because those won't really get in the way and will keep you warm. I find though when I'm playing even outdoors that my face stays pretty warm.

When looking at a new helmet, go to a store to look at them and mess with all the adjustments, if you can't get one to feel right while in the store, than you probably won't be able to get it to feel right when playing. Helmets now a days have a ton of ways to adjust them too.

I played outdoors before, so I know how the conditions are, but I haven't worn a visor or cage before. But I figured, for maximum safety, I should invest in full-face protection.

Under Armor has this head gear/balaclava that looks like it's right up my alley.

Forgot you were canadian too, Quick :(
I take it back then

Jays will win!

I accept this. Normally, I'd have you sent to Mimico, Ontario for correction with Don Cherry, but I'll let it slide.

Top Bottom