• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2015 |OT| Dan Cleary was re-signed

imBask

Banned
Glendale =/= Phoenix. When the club actually played in Phoenix, attendance was much better, as were the financials. Still not great. But better. They had a chance to build there.

If you say so, fine, but it's still not an excuse... they're in Glendale now and it's a disaster, so they have to move

Quick

Banned
Off-topic:

Currently dealing with an issue at work with regards to a client. Not to get into detail, but he gave me an ultimatum that if he doesn't get his way, we'll have to find a different solution to the issue. I told the client that he is responsible for his own shit and that I just facilitate whatever he decides on.

His email to me in response:

"Hi Quick,
Let me know
Thanks,
Client"

Let you know what? What the fuck. :lol

imBask

Banned
I'm glad the Canadian hockey community is so inclusive and tolerant of fans from non-traditional markets.

what does it have to do with tolerance? they're losing money every year

Move the Coyotes in Peru if you want to, as long as they're not losing money and have a decent attendance, I don't actually care about the where

moving to phoenix would be a good idea

if it works, sure why not

Babcock doesn't seem high on Panik. He had an okay year last year. But I don't see him as an important piece of the rebuild either.

Corrado over Panik though...sounds like a lateral move.

I wish Harrington had made the team.

Socreges

Banned
3rd worst attendance in the league and a huge deficit every year... as I said, they might have fans but not enough to keep them alive
All they need is one:

bettman.jpg

I'm glad the Canadian hockey community is so inclusive and tolerant of fans from non-traditional markets.

The Coyotes have had plenty of opportunities to prove themselves as a viable traditional market and they've failed to have a profitable year since they've come to Arizona.

At some point you gotta cut your losses and try elsewhere. It has nothing to do with tolerance.

Quick

Banned
If the NHL really wants the Coyotes to stick around, they really should move them back to Phoenix. Cut a deal with Talking Stick Resort Arena to host them again.

The league allowed the Jets and Islanders to move into smaller venues (with Barclays Center having shitty sightlines), so they're clearly not opposed to that idea.

zroid

Banned
Babcock doesn't seem high on Panik. He had an okay year last year. But I don't see him as an important piece of the rebuild either.

Corrado over Panik though...sounds like a lateral move.

I wish Harrington had made the team.
Corrado is a defenceman so I don't know how that can be a lateral move from Panik :p

Harrington did make the team, btw. Him being sent down is temporary while Panik is picked up or sent down.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Does this mean I'd have a job? If so, IN.

Me too!

Off-topic:

Currently dealing with an issue at work with regards to a client. Not to get into detail, but he gave me an ultimatum that if he doesn't get his way, we'll have to find a different solution to the issue. I told the client that he is responsible for his own shit and that I just facilitate whatever he decides on.

His email to me in response:

"Hi Quick,
Let me know
Thanks,
Client"

Let you know what? What the fuck. :lol

Just let him know! Jeez it's not so hard.

A lot of Canadians want more teams in Canada, so they get disproportionately angry about struggling franchises in the States. I don't think it's particularly fair, but what are you going to do?

Edit: lol, who is Roy winking at there?

Tabris

If the NHL really wants the Coyotes to stick around, they really should move them back to Phoenix. Cut a deal with Talking Stick Resort Arena to host them again.

The league allowed the Jets and Islanders to move into smaller venues (with Barclays Center having shitty sightlines), so they're clearly not opposed to that idea.

Glendale is super close to Phoenix, so not sure what that changes?

Glendale to Phoenix is like Burnaby to Vancouver. It takes 24 mins to drive from Phoenix to Glendale.

The Jobing arena is right beside the University of Phoenix stadium.

imBask

Banned
A lot of Canadians want more teams in Canada, so they get disproportionately angry about struggling franchises in the States. I don't think it's particularly fair, but what are you going to do?

Edit: lol, who is Roy winking at there?

The last thing I want is those dirty Nordiques back, I don't necessarily want more teams in Canada.

Quick

Banned

Glendale to Phoenix is like Burnaby to Vancouver. It takes 24 mins to drive from Phoenix to Glendale.

Clearly it's not working as well as both Glendale and the NHL were hoping. So why not move them back to downtown Phoenix proper.

Didn't know so many NHL GAFfers had financial stakes in the NHL as a whole. You guys must be rich to be so concerned about the league's financial performance.

Tales from your ass. On a typical weeknight, it's a 45 minute - 1:15 commute from downtown Phoenix to Glendale. From Scottsdale, where the money is, it's over an hour.

"Super close" my ass. Get out of here.

Holiday

Banned
As a fan of a historic Original Twelve team, I think expansion franchises should have to tithe to established ones for the first ten years, or offer their prospects as tribute.

To be fair to the rest of the posters, the cap is tied to H.R.R. (Shudder) so when Phoenix and Florida don't sell out, the cap goes down and teams might have to get rid of players they otherwise would have kept.

Quick

Banned
Me too!

Just let him know! Jeez it's not so hard.

I emailed to clarify if he meant, and he's still sticking with his ultimatum. My boss won't budge on it, so I just told him that he'll need to deal with finding a solution to his problems by himself.

Tabris

Tales from your ass. On a typical weeknight, it's a 45 minute - 1:15 commute from downtown Phoenix to Glendale. From Scottsdale, where the money is, it's over an hour.

"Super close" my ass. Get out of here.

Not tales from my ass. Been to Phoenix multiple times. I stayed in Scottsdale. I visited Glendale. Phoenix is super easy to navigate due to those highways. You go Highway 10 then Highway 101.

Maybe during rush hour, but not at 6:30pm to get to the game.

Also I did that commute time using google maps by doing directions from jobing arena to downtown phoenix.

Clearly it's not working as well as both Glendale and the NHL were hoping. So why not move them back to downtown Phoenix proper.

Has nothing to do with Glendale and everything to do with that entire city / area. Nobody in Arizona gives a fuck about hockey except snowbirds in Scottsdale. Worst market choice.

Not tales from my ass. Been to Phoenix multiple times. I stayed in Scottsdale. I visited Glendale. Phoenix is super easy to navigate due to those highways. You go Highway 10 then Highway 101.

Maybe during rush hour, but not at 6:30pm to get to the game.

Also I did that commute time using google maps by doing directions from jobing arena to downtown phoenix.

Ok then. You certainly know more than the locals that, you know, actually live there. Good to know that the drive from downtown took me and others a lot less time than, you know, it actually does.

Has nothing to do with Glendale and everything to do with that entire city / area. Nobody in Arizona gives a fuck about hockey except snowbirds in Scottsdale. Worst market choice.

Oh come on. All I did was share an outlook on the season and, as expected, a response like this comes out.

Ok then. You certainly know more than the locals that, you know, actually live there. Good to know that the drive from downtown took me and others a lot less time than, you know, it actually does.

Oh come on. All I did was share an outlook on the season and, as expected, a response like this comes out.

tabrisignore.gif

6:30 PM is part of rush hour.

Not only that, but who the hell plans on getting to the game 1 minute before the puck drops?

Game times in Arizona are 7PM, sometimes 7:30.

Westgate, where the rink is, has a ton of great places to hang out at before the game. They also allow tailgating in the lot for certain games if you want. So in order to get there with an hour to spare to get game ready, you have to leave Phoenix or Scottsdale at 4:30-5 and hope no traffic is in the way.

But if you have a job and/or family to take, it makes it impossible to get there with any kind of cushion.

If the rink was in an urban area, like it used to be when they were at America West, there's a much bigger pool of fans that can get there.

But hey Google Maps tells me its close, so the people there just suck.

Holiday

Banned
I wonder if Google maps could calculate the estimated time for the Blues to win a Cup. Or do their numbers not go that high?

Top Bottom