• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2015 |OT| Dan Cleary was re-signed

Heretic

Too early? Yes. But who cares...

y1u1zlR.png

From @DTMAboutHeart, a hockey-graphs.com writer.
Lol! My Ducks at 46%

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dave Cameron says he would like each player to improve by 5 per cent. He says that 20 guys doing that would equal 100 per cent improvement.
Sounds like Dopey saying all the bottom 6 guys the Leafs added would make up for Kessels absence offensively

Pikma

Banned
Interesting that they're still given such a high percent. I guess all it takes is one solid winning streak to nullify this whole episode, but still. Doesn't seem like things are getting any better any time soon.
Patience, things will get better the moment you arrive to the AAC.

BUT if you, for some fucking weird reason, are not able to score against Lehtonen then it'll be time to panic.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Posting playoff odds before the first month of the season is over is a Tabris move.
The first 10 games of a season are often pretty indicative of where teams will end up

- Teams that posted a points percentage of at least .700 over the first 10 games of the season made the playoffs 73 percent of the time and won two of the three Stanley Cups (the 2010-11 Boston Bruins and 2011-12 Los Angeles Kings).

- Teams that were between .600 and .699 over their first 10 games made the playoffs 60 percent and won the other Stanley Cup (the 2013-14 Los Angeles Kings).

- If a team was between .500 and .599, their playoff chances dropped down to 46 percent. Any team that was below .500 over the first 10 games only had a 39 percent chance, and it goes down to only 26 percent for teams .400 or worse.

- If you go back over the past eight full seasons, 12 of the 16 Stanley Cup Finalists had a points percentage of at least .550 in their first 10 games and nine of them were over .600. Only three teams that went on to reach the Final were lower than .500 in their first 10 games, and none of them won it.

Obviously shit happens like the Senators run, but on average having a poor start is really difficult to over come.

calder

Posting playoff odds before the first month of the season is over is a Tabris move.

That's what I'd expect to hear a fan of a team on the outside looking in to say.

If you don't have a playoff spot on halloween... you're very unlikely to get one.

Socreges

Banned
The first 10 games of a season are often pretty indicative of where teams will end up

Obviously shit happens like the Senators run, but on average having a poor start is really difficult to over come.
Well, it isn't so much that it's difficult to overcome. It's that poor teams often have poor starts and great teams often have great starts. But the statistics, as you've demonstrated, most definitely 'allow' for great teams to have poor starts and turn it around. And vice versa.

calder

Well, it isn't so much that it's difficult to overcome. It's that poor teams often have poor starts and great teams often have great starts. But the statistics, as you've demonstrated, most definitely 'allow' for great teams to have poor starts and turn it around. And vice versa.

I think it's crazy that, if they were in the Central instead of the Pacific, the Ducks playoffs odds would already be around 20%. But they are lucky that they only have to catch the third best team in the Pacific, which should be doable. The chart terrifies me as a Jets fan because it shows how we need another Central team, probably the Hawks or Stars, to continue or start sucking enough for us to finish ahead of them. And damn that's kinda hard to imagine, which means that even playing as well as they are (good, not great) and banking some points early it's going to be extremely tough to make it.

Naturally, all right thinking hockey fans are hoping the Ducks skid continues so they fire Boudreau and hire Carlyle again, because holy shit would that be funny.

calder

Sad to see Evander Kane hurt again, but it's sure not a shocker to see him go down for a few weeks. Love that guy when he's playing (mostly, parts of his game are seemingly designed to drive fans of his team nuts) but even though his injuries aren't often related he just has so many you start to wonder.

calder

Hold on a second. The Ducks have only scored SIX goals? In 7 games? What is going on out there?

Forgot to edit this in my other post. The Ducks have a shooting percentage of 2.5% right now, which is almost impossibly bad. And since SP beyond a percentage point or so past the league average is mostly luck it's a big sign that they are just hugely unluckly so far and they'll start winning soon. But will they panic and fire Boudreau first? I think it would be a huge mistake because I think he's a good coach (granted other ppl disagree) but if they did ignoring everything else just regression on SP alone would probably mean the Ducks would fire off a nice winning streak when the new come comes in. Which obviously happens a lot when new coaches come in.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
They might as well cancel the rest of the season and start the playoffs now.

I agree. I mean look at these playoff series we would get in the East if the playoffs started right now:

VF79yoj.png

Habs-Wings, Battle of Florida, Rangers-Flyers, and an Isles-Caps rematch? Not bad.

Silexx

Dopey Cameron stats wow wtf.

I expected nothing less than a coach that's willing to put Borowiscki on the top pairing with Karlsson.

Yeah, but as opposed to who else?

Is there any D on this team other than Methot that can reasonably pair up with Karlsson?

Calamari41

41 > 38
Forgot to edit this in my other post. The Ducks have a shooting percentage of 2.5% right now, which is almost impossibly bad. And since SP beyond a percentage point or so past the league average is mostly luck it's a big sign that they are just hugely unluckly so far and they'll start winning soon. But will they panic and fire Boudreau first? I think it would be a huge mistake because I think he's a good coach (granted other ppl disagree) but if they did ignoring everything else just regression on SP alone would probably mean the Ducks would fire off a nice winning streak when the new come comes in. Which obviously happens a lot when new coaches come in.

There's nothing I hate more than the "we're so unlucky" excuse, but that's honestly kind of what I've observed. Especially in the Colorado game, where we had an absolutely massive number of our shots blocked. I can't find the exact stat, but I believe they were saying on the radio right after the game that the number was in the 40s.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Did you guys see the news?

"Netflix has confirmed that Canada is its only market with streaming rights for Star Wars: Episode VII in 2016" (~July)

Netflix Canada getting something before Netflix US? Shocking

zroid

Banned
Shooting % is basically driven by three things:

1. Opposition goaltending
2. Luck
3. Talent

The fact is you can't control any of these. You can change the roster to affect the talent, but the Ducks clearly have the talent because they've shot for a high percentage in the past.

One thing that doesn't really affect shooting % is coaching. Coaching systems can affect save % to a small degree with defensive tactics, but not really true with sh%. It just comes and goes.

"Netflix has confirmed that Canada is its only market with streaming rights for Star Wars: Episode VII in 2016" (~July)

Our TV selection is usually pretty good, but as far as movies are concerned it takes a long time for them to go up on streaming and it's usually a poor selection.

Quick

Banned

Saw that this morning. Actual shocking news.

Cake Boss

Banned
Yeah, but as opposed to who else?

Is there any D on this team other than Methot that can reasonably pair up with Karlsson?

Weirdock? Wideman?
Even Cowen before Boroshit.

Now it looks like hes been scratched for next game. Only in Ottawa would you go from the 3rd pairing to the 1st pairing then to being scratched.

calder

I bought two sets of Force Awakens tickets for opening weekend at the VIP theatre. My wife will go to one showing with me, but the other I'll probably end up going to alone. I don't even care lol.

I *could* describe how excited I am for this movie but I won't because it's downright sad.

Silexx

Weirdock? Wideman?
Even Cowen before Boroshit.

Now it looks like hes been scratched for next game. Only in Ottawa would you go from the 3rd pairing to the 1st pairing then to being scratched.

You want a shutdown guy to go with Karlsson. Weircoch and Wideman are puck movers, so I can see why Boro would be chosen over those guys and it's not a slight on those two. As for Cowen, yeah maybe he could be better, but I'm not sure Cameron is all that confident with him.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I just sw Ex Machina and It Follows were added. Need to watch both of those.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Save the 2 hours spent watching It Follows on something more fun, like jamming a pencil up your urethra.

I just saw this two days ago myself, and agree. The concept is amazing, but there are only two remotely scary scenes in the whole thing. The movie constantly breaks its own rules, and the main characters act like complete idiots and also pass over the simple solution to the issue even with it staring the dude in the face at the end.

Cake Boss

Banned
You want a shutdown guy to go with Karlsson. Weircoch and Wideman are puck movers, so I can see why Boro would be chosen over those guys and it's not a slight on those two. As for Cowen, yeah maybe he could be better, but I'm not sure Cameron is all that confident with him.

It was shown last year that Weidcocks best games was when he was paired with Karlsson, this isn't the 2003 NHL where you need a so called shut down guy with the puck mover, 2 puck movers on a one line that drives possession is more ideal. As for Cowen, coach seems to play him almost 20minutes a night, I call that confidence.

Top Bottom