• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2015 |OT| Dan Cleary was re-signed

imBask

Banned
It Follows looked alright, I still wanna see it... Horror movies are rarely "good" but they're still entertaining

anyones got a good slasher movie to recommend?

Silexx

It was shown last year that Weidcocks best games was when he was paired with Karlsson, this isn't the 2003 NHL where you need a so called shut down guy with the puck mover, 2 puck movers on a one line that drives possession is more ideal. As for Cowen, coach seems to play him almost 20minutes a night, I call that confidence.

I think that's mostly a function of injuries on our blueline more than Cowen earning those minutes. Though he may have been improving lately as I've not heard much complaining about his play. (I admit I've missed a few games so far and I've only paid passing attention to the team's performance.)

All that said, I do concede that he's probably a better choice than Boro.

Foggy

So Johansen won't play on Tuesday because they're still dealing with whatever non-contagious illness he has that's been affecting his energy. Oh and apparently he went to the emergency room over the summer because of an elevated heart rhythm. Oh but docs found nothing wrong. Oh and it has nothing to with what's going on now. Maybe. Or something.

imBask

Banned
So Johansen won't play on Tuesday because they're still dealing with whatever non-contagious illness he has that's been affecting his energy. Oh and apparently he went to the emergency room over the summer because of an elevated heart rhythm. Oh but docs found nothing wrong. Oh and it has nothing to with what's going on now. Maybe. Or something.

he got Tortorenitis

Why is Guenin still in the lineup despite Gormley outplaying him? This is pretty frustrating, most coaches have one pet player that's fairly bad, but this is so glaringly obvious.

Mono?

Stasis

I bought two sets of Force Awakens tickets for opening weekend at the VIP theatre. My wife will go to one showing with me, but the other I'll probably end up going to alone. I don't even care lol.

I *could* describe how excited I am for this movie but I won't because it's downright sad.

The last time I saw a movie in theatres was Star Trek. The first of the new gen, so like... 2009? It was with my gf. I think it's only fitting we go see the "first" Star Wars of the new gen as our second theatre film. Gonna reserve some VIP seats as well, just not sure when I wanna go. When are there less annoying people? Like, Tuesday at 1pm? Or are kids on Xmas break by then? Fuck I dunno how movies work anymore. Used to go like 3 times a week when I was younger. I'm out of the loop.

Help me decide.

Foggy

The last time I saw a movie in theatres was Star Trek. The first of the new gen, so like... 2009? It was with my gf. I think it's only fitting we go see the "first" Star Wars of the new gen as our second theatre film. Gonna reserve some VIP seats as well, just not sure when I wanna go. When are there less annoying people? Like, Tuesday at 1pm? Or are kids on Xmas break by then? Fuck I dunno how movies work anymore. Used to go like 3 times a week when I was younger. I'm out of the loop.

Help me decide.

The theater I go to has $5 movies before 12pm and obnoxious people typically don't show up to any given movie that early unless it's a kids movie. Late morning weekends are the sweet spot

Quick

Banned
I hit up mid-to-late afternoon movies on a weekday sometimes. There would be like 5 people in the theatre in total. I was lucky enough to be in a theatre with 3 people, and I just sat at the very back.

I'm excited for Star Wars. I haven't bought my tickets yet because of potential scheduling conflicts, but I'll end up getting tickets soon probably (if available). On the other hand, I've generally been lucky with highly anticipated movies and being able to watch on the day of release.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
You want a shutdown guy to go with Karlsson. Weircoch and Wideman are puck movers, so I can see why Boro would be chosen over those guys and it's not a slight on those two. As for Cowen, yeah maybe he could be better, but I'm not sure Cameron is all that confident with him.

Why wouldn't you want two puck movers playing together?

Playing some shitty defenceman with Karlsson just because he's a "shutdown" guy is a horrible strategy. Habs have Markov and Subban on their top pair and seem to be doing fine.

You should have as many puck moving defencemen on your team as possible.

Yawnier

Banned
I haven't bought my stars wars tickets yet cuz I don't know where I'll be 2 months from now.

It will be the first movie I go to since... that Planet of the Apes movie from last summer, which was surprisingly good.

I like the experience of watching a movie in theatres, especially on opening weekend for a blockbuster with a crowd.

Agreed. There's nothing like it. But of course, say that on the OT side and you'll basically get a bunch of people saying "Why not spend $10,000 on your own home theatre system?" like that's an actual viable option

EDIT: Last movie I saw in theatres was Jurassic World as well, will probably see Spectre if I'm not shitfaced that weekend

zroid

Banned
I'm the opposite lol, opening day crowds agitate and annoy me. I'm seeing Star Wars on opening weekend but I tried to pick a relatively innocuous time (Sunday afternoon) so it hopefully won't be that bad. Usually I wait like 2-3 weeks minimum if I'm going to see a movie in the theatre just so it'll be close to empty.

I'm the opposite lol, opening day crowds agitate and annoy me. I'm seeing Star Wars on opening weekend but I tried to pick a relatively innocuous time (Sunday afternoon) so it hopefully won't be that bad. Usually I wait like 2-3 weeks minimum if I'm going to see a movie in the theatre just so it'll be close to empty.

I try to avoid opening weekend crowds for big movies usually. Might go a week afterward. But I can see the appeal from both sides, I just wish people that hate crowds weren't so....militant about it.

I normally forget a movie is in theaters even if I am hyped about it. I prefer to avoid the massive crowds since I like certain seats in the theater but I think watching a movie with a bunch of people for the first time is a really cool experience though

Quick

Banned
Agreed. There's nothing like it. But of course, say that on the OT side and you'll basically get a bunch of people saying "Why not spend $10,000 on your own home theatre system?" like that's an actual viable option

EDIT: Last movie I saw in theatres was Jurassic World as well, will probably see Spectre if I'm not shitfaced that weekend

I saw Steve Jobs last week, before that, Straight Outta Compton. I watched the blockbusters of this year.

I don't mind quiet theatres at all. I probably prefer it. But I also enjoy the buzz of a crowd for something like Jurassic World or a Marvel movie.

zroid

Banned
I try to avoid opening weekend crowds for big movies usually. Might go a week afterward. But I can see the appeal from both sides, I just wish people that hate crowds weren't so....militant about it.

I used to be more of the opening weekend type when I was a teenager. I think I'm too old for that nowadays. Get off my lawn, etc. :p

I used to be more of the opening weekend type when I was a teenager. I think I'm too old for that nowadays. Get off my lawn, etc. :p

God, I'm 18 and sometimes I feel so old. I enjoy watching golf, quieter and smaller crowds, baseball, the works. I also can't do the same thing for more then 15 minutes before I get bored (So no endurance races in racing games unless it's GT and I'm on B-Spec)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
God, I'm 18 and sometimes I feel so old. I enjoy watching golf, quieter and smaller crowds, baseball, the works. I also can't do the same thing for more then 15 minutes before I get bored (So no endurance races in racing games unless it's GT and I'm on B-Spec)

ewwwwwwwww

Well at least I am not the youngest here. I am only 22 but it seems like most of NHLgaf is pretty old lol

Smiley90

We're not old we are character guys and cats with heart, grit and leadership.

image.php

Smiley90

so by that margin zroid is essentially your slave

Man if Quick had written Kave_Man instead this would be really awkward right now

nearly as awkward as that super racist comment at the Toronto-GAF meetup that DID NOT, I REPEAT, DID NOT come from me

Pikma

Banned
Get the fuck outta here you fucking babies, there's no room for more diaper wearing individuals, we already have Schuey

Quick

Banned
so by that margin zroid is essentially your slave

ALRIGHT ALRIGHT OKAY LET'S GO.

HOCKEY IS BACK. BUT SO IS COMMUNISM, IT WOULD SEEM, EH. YOU LOOK AT ALL THESE EUROPEENS IN THE NHL RIGHT NOW WEARIN' THE VISORS AN' HOTDOGGIN' AN' IT'S LIKE THE COMMUNIST MANIFESTO COME TO LIFE, EH.

LOOK HERE...WHASYOURNAME...SLIVER ROWERS, KIDS LIKE YOU NEED TO BE IN SCHOOL, EH. NONE OF THIS ZBOX OR PLAYCASTIN' OR NINTENNO WEENIN' 'ROUND, EH. THEM GAMES, YOU KNOW, THEY ROT YOUR BRAIN. YOU EVER HEAR OF SIDNEY CROSBY PLAYIN' VIDEO GAMES? NO, OF COURSE NOT. I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED IF VIDEO GAMES WERE DESIGNED BY KARL MARX HIMSELF, EH.

NOW, LET ME TELL YOU KIDS A STORY: I WAS IN THE BATHROOM, WASHIN' MY HANDS, WHEN A BUNCH OF EUROPEENS RAN INSIDE A BATHROOM STALL. THEY LEFT THE DOOR OPEN AN' LEFT THEIR SHOES ON IN THE CARPET 'CAUSE THEY'RE A BUNCH OF NO-GOOD COMMIES, EH. ANYWAY, THEY'RE IN THE STALL PLAYIN' THOSE GAMEGEARS AN' NINTENNO BOYS, EH, ALL WHILE EXCHANGIN' COMMUNIST MANIFESTO NOTES. BOY, I WAS REAL STEAMED. ALL OF A SUDDEN, A BUNCH OF GOOD CANADIAN KIDS FROM MIMICO, ONTARIO RAN IN ANOTHER STALL, TOOK THEIR SHOES OFF, AN' LEFT THE DOOR OPEN - 'CAUSE THEY'RE GOOD CANADIAN KIDS. ANYHOW, THEY RAN IN, SANG THE CANADIAN ANTHEM, AN' STARTED READIN' MY BOOK, DON CHERRY'S HOCKEY STORIES AN' STUFF, AN' LEARNED ALL 'BOUT THE GAME OF HOCKEY. THOSE EUROPEENS GOT REAL EMBARRASSED AN' RAN OUT THE BATHROOM WITHOUT WASHIN' THEIR HANDS, EH. THEY WENT BACK TO EUROPE AN' RUINED THEIR ECONOMY, LET ME TELL YOU!

THOSE GOOD CANADIAN KIDS FROM MIMICO, ONTARIO REMINDED ME OF BOBBY ORR. GOD LOVE 'EM.

doncherry_1024x768.jpg

There's nothing I hate more than the "we're so unlucky" excuse, but that's honestly kind of what I've observed. Especially in the Colorado game, where we had an absolutely massive number of our shots blocked. I can't find the exact stat, but I believe they were saying on the radio right after the game that the number was in the 40s.

Has the league gotten quicker and younger and also cottoned on to our system?

Are we *predictable* now?

Top Bottom