• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL October 2015 |OT| Dan Cleary was re-signed

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
THE NIGHTMARE IS ALMOST OFFICIALLY OVER!!! Guys hold me!!!
Z8hbhna.gif

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
In the Yahoo league is there anything preventing you from dropping someone, adding an IR guy, placing him on IR, and then adding the dropped guy back?

Not sure if the GAF league works the same way, though...

Dropped guys go to Waivers and can be picked up by other teams before you get the chance again, so that's the risk...

Smiley90

So they're on waivers for 24 hours or something?

I'm not sure exactly how long... But anyone can claim them. It might be up to a week if I remember right, actually, since people dont check every day and then it would lose its purpose.

I was wondering if I could get some opinions from some PC guys here.

Newegg.ca is doing parts bundles, which make up a PC. No OS or accessories, and they're not assembled.

I found a few of them, but this one seems good for the price.

Edit: Or this.

I haven't kept up with prices or builds for a couple years, so take this with a grain of salt:

CPU: Intel should still be better than AMD. AMD is cheaper and better for CPU-intensive games, but Intel is better at everything else. Skylake (6000 series) is the successor to Haswell (4000 series) and was released in August. Skylake is better but Haswell will be cheaper. Can't go wrong with either.

Motherboard: As long as it's compatible and has enough slots it should be fine...? Don't hold me to this.

RAM: 8 or 16GB should be plenty.

GPU: NVIDIA seems to run cooler than AMD. AMD is usually cheaper. Depends on how much you want to spend. This is from June: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2883...n-graphics-cards-for-every-budget.html?page=5

PSU: Aim for a more reliable brand with enough wattage for your GPU.

HDD: Get an SSD for your OS and main apps. 500GB is about $200, 250GB for $120 or so. Could get a regular HDD if you need more space.

Case: Try to get one with a USB 3.0 port but I think any case will do.

Anyway I just spent 5 minutes and came up with this. My strategy was to restrict it to a few merchants (can just use NCIX and price-match everything) and sort every part by rating (then pick one with many positive reviews):

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/qZZWhM

At $1000, it's on the high side (especially with only 8GB RAM and a mid-range card), but I did include an SSD and you could probably spend less on the case and MB.

If you'd rather get a pre-built one, some of the Alienware desktops are decent. http://www.alienware.ca/Landings/desktops.aspx?~ck=mn

EDIT: $600 build, i3, 750 Ti: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/8Bzpcf

I'm not sure exactly how long... But anyone can claim them. It might be up to a week if I remember right, actually, since people dont check every day and then it would lose its purpose.

When a player is dropped, they go on waivers for however long the league sets it as (usually 24 hours). Anyone can pick them up (priority is shown on the main league page). Afterwards, they go into the free agent pool.

Just remember that the person on IR cannot be moved into a starting position if your roster is full, and it takes a day to drop someone. So if an injured player will return, say, tomorrow, drop someone now so your roster has a spot for him tomorrow.

imBask

Banned
That's pretty awesome.

Offensive-set game, breakaways, a penalty shot, it's the NHL's wet dream.

I find it kinda weird that they added that, but also added coachs challenge... They want more goals and that's understandable, but I think challenges might reduce the number of goals considerably, considering how some teams are built around crashing the net

Curufinwe

Logan Pyett, a defenseman the Flyers signed to an AHL contract in August, is out indefinitely with sarcoma in his upper left leg.

Really not impressed with Roy last night. I don't know why he decided to start double shifting the top two lines in the second. I don't know why he put Barrie and Guenin on the Parise line when he did. I don't know why he benched the third line and then threw McLeod and Skille out at the end of the game. I don't know why Holden had more icetime in the third than EJ and Beauchemin. I don't know why he pulled Varlamov to put Cody fucking McLeod on the ice instead of Duchene or Rantanen or ANYONE CAPABLE OF SCORING GOALS.

It was a team loss last night but Roy led them to it as soon as Minnesota made him nervous in the second.

Smiley90

Just checked, Sammy's league is set to 2 days waiver time - I think it was longer last year that's why I misremembered... But w/e.

That's pretty awesome.

Offensive-set game, breakaways, a penalty shot, it's the NHL's wet dream.

Kypreos was trying to say he thinks its dumb, I think hes dumb, that OT alone proves it, super exciting, lots of action. I love the scrambles and the bank passes to self, all that open ice is so crazy to see. Can't wait to see more OTs now really.

Quick

Banned
I find it kinda weird that they added that, but also added coachs challenge... They want more goals and that's understandable, but I think challenges might reduce the number of goals considerably, considering how some teams are built around crashing the net

The NHL's adapting to the demand for more accurate play calls in sports. I don't mind coach's challenge, since it's positioned to be a gamble.

The NHL and NFL are the two leagues that have made the most advancements in technology for officiating. I don't think that's such a bad thing.

This isn't the crease rule. This is getting calls right.

Quick

Banned
Kypreos was trying to say he thinks its dumb, I think hes dumb, that OT alone proves it, super exciting, lots of action. I love the scrambles and the bank passes to self, all that open ice is so crazy to see. Can't wait to see more OTs now really.

One of the best things about 3-on-3 OT is eliminating the trap in some form.

The next thing the league needs to do is remove the trapezoid. Goalies already play the puck around the no-play zone anyway. Plus, it would probably add some more excitement to OT.

Saving this so we can fondly look back on how good 3-on-3 was before coaching ruined it six months later.

I'm really curious to see how coaches adapt to it.

Really not impressed with Roy last night. I don't know why he decided to start double shifting the top two lines in the second. I don't know why he put Barrie and Guenin on the Parise line when he did. I don't know why he benched the third line and then threw McLeod and Skille out at the end of the game. I don't know why Holden had more icetime in the third than EJ and Beauchemin. I don't know why he pulled Varlamov to put Cody fucking McLeod on the ice instead of Duchene or Rantanen or ANYONE CAPABLE OF SCORING GOALS.

It was a team loss last night but Roy led them to it as soon as Minnesota made him nervous in the second.

And he didn't call a timeout when he should have, that was a joke. Hopefully Holden and Guenin get the boot soon.

Smiley90

I wonder if some teams will play 3F... And just train the forwards how to defend against breakaways, since there won't be any "normal" defensive plays

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if some teams will play 3F... And just train the forwards how to defend against breakaways, since there won't be any "normal" defensive plays

AV experimented with some 3F looks in the offensive zone during the preseason. Not sure if he'll stick with it or not, but the Rangers have a lot of pretty good two way options (Fast, Moore, Stepan, Lindberg, Nash, etc.), so they might be able to get away with it.

Curufinwe

I don't know why she keeps lying about this:

At the 11th hour, an agreement was reached with Cleary, who had just rejected a three-year, $8.25-million verbal agreement with the Philadelphia Flyers.

The Flyers could not actually offer Cleary anything but a PTO until Pronger went on LTIR, which could not happen until the end of training camp, after all the preseason games. If he was bad in those preseason games they could have let the PTO expire with no obligations. Unsurprisingly, Cleary decided to sign with Detroit before going to camp and looking like hot trash.

"Verbal agreements" with the Flyers aren't binding. Just ask Simone Gagne.

Top Bottom