• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT2| The Teemu Selanne Sweepstakes

Quick

Banned
Speaking of beta, holy shit at this video I just saw in OT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r71l-ajiuHA#t=14m0s

Basically a guy goes on a "virtual date" with a female streamer (that the girl did for fun), confesses his love to her, and....you can probably guess what happens next.

tumblr_ljs9de0HaR1qclt3z.gif

The US money lawsuit thread is a funny one.

I didn't realize people cared a lot about a line that barely anybody will actually read on their money.

Honestly I used to be of a mindset that would've supported this loosely, more because of the symbolic meaning behind having such a thing on the currency of a nation that claims separation of church and state.

However, the biggest thing that I've come to realize about the way I used to think was that I was always under the impression that I was constantly at odds with things I disagree with no matter how benign the thing was. It's very easy to play the victim in a world filled with shit you don't agree with, a lot of people get sucked into that and never come out.

Samyy

This is why I'm not an atheist.

Action of a few generalizing over the whole, blah blah blah
Most athiests I know don't even join associations like these, we just live our lives and don't really care what other people believe. Would I support its removal? Sure. Would I give two-shits if its not removed? Not really.

I also think the term militant atheist is hilarious.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This is why I'm not an atheist.

R/atheism =/= atheism.

Atheism = Not believing in any deity. That's literally all it is. The rest are actions of people, not actions as a group.

Not to mention atheism is defined as a non-group. Atheists are as much a coherent group as non-engineering majors are a group. They're defined by NOT being something.

Edit: what the high-schooler above me said.

R/atheism =/= atheism.

Atheism = Not believing in any deity. That's literally all it is. The rest are actions of people, not actions as a group.

Not to mention atheism is defined as a non-group. Atheists are as much a coherent group as non-engineering majors are a group. They're defined by NOT being something.

Edit: what the high-schooler above me said.
Well, there's also that. I don't not believe in any deity.

Regardless though, the term atheism just has so much baggage and drama associated with it that it's much easier for me to say I'm agnostic.

Samyy

Regardless though, the term atheism just has so much baggage and drama associated with it that it's much easier for me to say I'm agnostic.

Well that makes a lot more sense then your earlier comment :p

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Tortorella said he strongly dislikes players tweeting during the season... Luongo's response:

Strombone ‏@strombone1 27m
😷

:lol

So, supposedly the NHL is going to be cracking down hard on how players wear their uniforms this year.

As I was scanning my Twitter feed this morning, I noticed the NHL's public relations team shared via Twitter a NHL UNIFORM GUIDELINES graphic and stated that these rules would be strictly enforced this year. When I sat down to write up this blog post, the tweet was gone.

Not sure why they deleted it, but I grabbed everything beforehand so I can still share it here with you guys. The reason is I thought some of the rules were interesting and if it's being "strictly enforced," does that mean a player can now sit in the box for an improper uniform?

Two minutes for showing your pads.

RULE 9.5 governs all protective equipment, including pants. Players are not permitted to tuck their jersey into their pants in such a manner where the top padding of the pant and/or additional body protection (affixed to the pant or affixed to the Player's body) is exposed outside the jersey. The back uniform number must not be covered or obstructed in any fashion by the protruding pads or other protective padding.

Is it just me, or was this written for Alex Ovechkin?

WNy7rrL.png

More here: http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2013/9/13/nhl-tweets-then-deletes-uniform-rules.html

Samyy

Jesus christ NHL why the fuck does it matter?
Shit like this is so dumb... I hope they pulled it because they aren't planning to go through with that crap.

Let the players express themselves a bit, god forbid they develop as personalities to sell your game to the public. Same shit applies to goal celebrations (though not officially enforced) the shaming by the media on players who like to show some bit of emotion is ridiculous.

Agnostic is likely the proper term you and most people want to stick with. Not just because of the baggage it comes with but because you have an intellectual burden with it.

Sure, they can call it you lack of belief or whatever nonsense you want, but you cannot be intellectually honest in such a position without justification.

Its like if I told you I had french toast this morning for breakfast. Then you tell me, I don't believe you or I lack belief in your statement. Philosophically, that is committing the fallacy of begging the question until you state why. Like, "I saw you eating a breakfast burrito". Greek philosophers developed the phrase "To deny a truth is to affirm another truth" to weed out the radical skepticism from the intellectual space.

And with any justification, it of course requires you to also demonstrate that your theory of knowledge actually can confirm the truth value of such a premise. This is because epistemology is a complicated matter.

By contrast, calling yourself an agnostic frees you from any burden because you remained uncommitted to the premises or conclusion. Its a much more rational position to hold.

Man.... hockey season needs to hurry up and start....

Samyy

Would you guys take Crosby or Stamkos #1 in a fantasy draft...
Im afraid of Crosby's injury history and not sure what to do.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 3h
Brodeur: "There’s goalies - I won’t name names, but they’re not too far – they have different padding that it’s not about protection."

awwwww shittt da queen!

ZeroGravity

The Lightning’s next captain will be announced at an invitation-only event on Oct. 1, two days before the season-opening game at Boston. Pictured on the invitation are owner Jeff Vinik, general manager Steve Yzerman, Cooper and the two leading candidates for captain: Marty St. Louis and Steven Stamkos. The captaincy opened up with the team bought out Vinny Lecavalier’s contract in June.
It really doesn't need to be this much of a production, guys. Just give it to St. Louis and be done with it.

I just started playing SR3, I hadnt really played the others, and I am loving it. I hated GTA 4 so I will most likely pass on 5.

Well, 3 Saint's Row games have come out since GTA4, so one would expect them to better. It looks like GTA5 has addressed a lot of the problems its predecessor had.

And yea, I can't resist the GTA5 spoiler thread. The hype crept up on me out of nowhere.

Top Bottom