• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT2| The Teemu Selanne Sweepstakes

Acid08

Banned
Seems like a lot of suspensions and general animosity for it only being pre-season. Don't remember it being this bad in recent years.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Seems like a lot of suspensions and general animosity for it only being pre-season. Don't remember it being this bad in recent years.

You forgot about the original shanabans? That first preseason with shanahan was suspension city

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Vancouver suspensions.

Watch Kessel get nothing.

Nhlwheelofjustice.gif

Activate star mode!

Honestly, 5 games+ (8) is a bit much IMHO. It's not like he purposely hit him in the jaw. He missed his hit and his stick bounced up. Oh well. NHL punishes by damage dealt, not intent anyway. Hence Kessel will get a slap on the wrist.

On the bright side, that means that Shibkaruk will hopefully/most likely at least get 5 games with the team to start the season, which is awesome. Esp with Booth being injured, possibly.

Vancouver suspensions.

Well that's fucking stupid.

Duncan Keith gets 5 games for intentionally elbowing Daniel Sedin's head.

Brad Marchand gets 5 games for intentionally clipping Sami Salo.

Zach Kassian gets 5 games for accidentally high-sticking Sam Gagner in the mouth.

2 games should've been the max, and even then, it'd be questionable. NHL continuing to suspend based on injury as opposed to intent.

yyzjohn

Banned
One of my buddies that is going to Habs/Leafs season opener with me next week is a big Leafs fan and is having a meltdown over no Clarkson and possibly no Kessel in that game. Hilarious.

Tell him its only one game. He can save his meltdowns when the Leafs are 0-5 to start the season.

Smiley90

Kassian actually got suspended for that?

Gagner broke his jaw, and Kassian isn't a star player, so yeah.

The day the NHL starts punishing on intent and not result will be a good day for the league and a bad day for Dustin Brown.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
lol!

To be honest, It looked like Kessel wanted to go...

If you really think that, you might just be dumber than Scott.

Kessel did good last night. Any one of you would be saying the same if your star player had the same reaction, which is really the litmus test here. He got away from the berserk Scott, gave him a few good whacks, beat the shit out of Flynn, and then came back to give the angry gorilla a few good pokes. Fantastic.

Well that's fucking stupid.

Duncan Keith gets 5 games for intentionally elbowing Daniel Sedin's head.

Brad Marchand gets 5 games for intentionally clipping Sami Salo.

Zach Kassian gets 5 games for accidentally high-sticking Sam Gagner in the mouth.

2 games should've been the max, and even then, it'd be questionable. NHL continuing to suspend based on injury as opposed to intent.

Oh you're back.

The Sedin/Salo hits also resulted in concussions, which is what the league is supposed to be cracking down on. Not saying a broken jaw is nothing, but at least it's easily diagnosed and fixed.

Acid08

Banned
If you really think that, you might just be dumber than Scott.

Kessel did good last night. Any one of you would be saying the same if your star player had the same reaction, which is really the litmus test here. He got away from the berserk Scott, gave him a few good whacks, beat the shit out of Flynn, and then came back to give the angry gorilla a few good pokes. Fantastic.
Kessel shouldn't have taken those extra whacks at Scott after two dudes had already jumped him. Everything before and after was fine, the last poke was hilarious.

RC

Banned
The Kassian suspension seems a bit harsh. But if that's the precedent Kessel should at least get a game.

CCF23

I can't argue with longer suspensions for stupid, careless plays that result in severe injuries. I can, however, continue to bitch about the lack of consistency from the DOJ.

Smiley90

Hopefully Shinkaruk sticks with the team for the start if the season then.

With Kassian out and Booth potentially out too, and with how convincing he's been, I definitely hope he'll get a 5game, if not 9game tryout. He deserves it. He'll be playing on the third line tonight (I think?) to see if he can adjust to different linemates. If he can, he's probably/hopefully gonna start the season with the Canucks. Potentially on the 2nd line with Kesler&Booth or if not Booth, then maybe Hansen or Higgins.

TUSR

Banned
With Kassian out and Booth potentially out too, and with how convincing he's been, I definitely hope he'll get a 5game, if not 9game tryout. He deserves it. He'll be playing on the third line tonight (I think?) to see if he can adjust to different linemates. If he can, he's probably/hopefully gonna start the season with the Canucks. Potentially on the 2nd line with Kesler&Booth or if not Booth, then maybe Hansen or Higgins.

I never figured out why booth is injured again. Bandaid man

jaybeeze

Originally he was to play the third line, yeah, with Richardson and Hansen but that was before Kass and Weise got suspended. Maybe Horvat gets to slot in now.

I wonder if Torts will slide Burrows up to play with the Sedins...that would counteract his wishes of him and Kesler playing together though. Hopefully not, I want Kesler to have at least one top 6 winger alongside him to start the season if Booth doesn't recover in time.

Fuck, how the hell did things get turned upside down so fast, lol.

Edit: Canucks recalled Zach Hamill, centre who can play RW. Didn't pay attention to him in camp, is he any good?

Smiley90

Originally he was to play the third line, yeah, with Richardson and Hansen but that was before Kass and Weise got suspended. Maybe Horvat gets to slot in now.

I wonder if Torts will slide Burrows up to play with the Sedins...that would counteract his wishes of him and Kesler playing together though. Hopefully not, I want Kesler to have at least one top 6 winger alongside him to start the season if Booth doesn't recover in time.

Edit: Canucks recalled Zach Hamill, centre who can play RW. Didn't pay attention to him in camp, is he any good?

No he's not.

Hamill is borderline worthless. He's just going to be a pre-season body.

Canucks have been wrecked in terms of young players who can fill in on the top 9, with Jensen, Schroeder and Kassian all out.

Starting line-up could look like this:

Sedin-Sedin-Shinkaruk
Horvat-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Gaunce-Hansen
Sestito-Richardson-Santorelli

Ideally they would replace Sestito with Lain. If the Oilers are going to be shitheads and try to run us, I'd like to have a 6'6" giant ready to deter that.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
That Kassian suspension seems ridiculous considering it was an accident..... The NHL is so bush league in policing themselves, what a joke.

How has Weber been so far Smiley / other Canuck fans who've watched him?

CCF23

Canucks have been wrecked in terms of young players who can fill in on the top 9, with Jensen, Schroeder and Kassian all out.

Sedin-Sedin-Shinkaruk
Horvat-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Gaunce-Hansen

Ideally they would replace Sestito with Lain. If the Oilers are going to be shitheads and try to run us, I'd like to have a 6'6" giant ready to deter that.

I don't think Horvat sticks. He has been invisible. I think Booth will probably be ready.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised. He's not fantastic, but he's miles ahead of Alberts for the number 7 spot with the way they've both played, in my eyes.

I don't think Horvat sticks. He has been invisible. I think Booth will probably be ready.

I agree with that, it's only in-case Booth doesn't play. If Booth plays, then they just switch up. I think Shinkaruk will be given an opportunity to play on the top line.

CCF23

I agree with that, it's only in-case Booth doesn't play. If Booth plays, then they just switch up. I think Shinkaruk will be given an opportunity to play on the top line.

I think we might see, until Kassian is back:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Shinkaruk
Higgins - Richardson - Hansen
shitty 4th line that probably has Gaunce on it.

and then when Kassian is back Shinkaruk sent to Jr unless he's REALLY lighting it up, Kassian goes with the twins, 7 - 17 - 14 2nd line, same bottom 6.

Smiley90

Sedin-Sedin-Shinkaruk
Horvat-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Gaunce-Hansen

Horvat isn't quite ready yet, I think. More realistically we'd have something like:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Shinkaruk-Kesler-Hansen
Higgins-Gaunce-Weise
Santorelli-Lain-Richardson

Then as soon as Kassian is back, Burrows, Hansen and Weise move one line down each, while Richardson takes over 3C from Gaunce and Gaunce gets sent down. Then once Booth is back, he replaces Shinkaruk.

That's how imagine our first 9 games, at least. Not sure who of Hansen/Higgins will make a better 2nd line RW, but I just went with Hansen for simplicity's sake.

I think we might see, until Kassian is back:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Shinkaruk
Higgins - Richardson - Hansen
shitty 4th line that probably has Gaunce on it.

I think Gaunce starts as 3C and Richardson on the 4th. At least I hope so.

That Kassian suspension seems ridiculous considering it was an accident..... The NHL is so bush league in policing themselves, what a joke.

He's been like the 7C he'll probably be for us. Has shown promise, but quite a few moments where he's made very poor decisions defensively. It's getting better though, so it might just be getting used to teammates/the system. He'll probably play once our D corps inevitably gets injured.

Horvat isn't quite ready yet, I think. More realistically we'd have something like:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Shinkaruk-Kesler-Hansen
Higgins-Gaunce-Weise
Santorelli-Lain-Richardson

Then as soon as Kassian is back, Burrows, Hansen and Weise move one line down each, while Richardson takes over 3C from Gaunce and Gaunce gets sent down. Then once Booth is back, he replaces Shinkaruk.

That's how imagine our first 9 games, at least. Not sure who of Hansen/Higgins will make a better 2nd line RW, but I just went with Hansen for simplicity's sake.

I can't imagine Weise being on that 3rd line over Santorelli or Richardson. He certainly hasn't played better than either of them.

Torts REALLY wants Burrows and Kesler together, which is why I put Shinkaruk up on that top line. Either way. Kassian being suspended is only good news for Gaunce and Shinkaruk.

I think once Kassian is back, and Booth is healthy, lines should look like this:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Gaunce-Hansen
Santorelli-Richardson-Weise

Which gives us a pretty good look 4th line.

Smiley90

I can't imagine Weise being on that 3rd line over Santorelli or Richardson. He certainly hasn't played better than either of them.

Torts REALLY wants Burrows and Kesler together, which is why I put Shinkaruk up on that top line. Either way. Kassian being suspended is only good news for Gaunce and Shinkaruk.

He might try Shinkaruk with the Sedins for a preseason game to see what happens. Now is the time to experiment. Question is, can Shinkaruk play RW?

If so, then

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows/Shinkaruk
Booth-Kesler-Burrows/Shinkaruk
Higgins-Gaunce-Hansen
Santorelli-Richardson-Weise

to start the season doesn't seem so bad. then after tryouts are "over", assuming both get sent down, Richardson will probably be 3C and Lain becomes 4C. Kassian takes 1RW and Burrows 2RW.

And yeah you're probably right, Richardson > Santorelli > Weise given their preseason play.

I liked the idea of having three Centers as our 4th line :lol

EDIT: You SOB edited your post with lines. I agree.

jaybeeze

I'd rather not use Gaunce as a centre, as his 'success' has been because of him playing wing.

Sedins / Kass
Shink / Kesler / Burrows
Booth / Santo / Higgins
Gaunce / Richardson / Hansen.

Eh. The 4th line needs some work, I just wanted an all ex-Panthers line, haha.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Tinordi HAS to start in Montreal.

Edit: Prust fighting in preseason again? =/

At least he fed the other guy but still

I've actually been pleasantly surprised. He's not fantastic, but he's miles ahead of Alberts for the number 7 spot with the way they've both played, in my eyes.
Thats good to hear, hopefully he can work into the Canucks top 6.

Cake Boss

Banned
So the jackoffs that make up Ottawa radio are claiming that Bobby Ryan is out of shape and the Sun says he doesn't shoot the puck enough. HE'S PLAYED TWO FUCKING GAMES !!!

Sean Simpsons is a fuckwad, guy randomly makes up shit on players, last year he was all over Anderson, Weircioch, Turris and Zibenejad. All of them had great seasons. This year it seems hes all over Conacher, Ryan, McArthur over 2 pre season games.

Lets make a joke and laugh at my own joke for 10 min straight on local radio.

Smiley90

Our top 6 is essentially set with

Garrison-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Corrado

we don't have proper 1st pairing/2nd pairing/3rd pairing, as shown by our 1D playing with our 6D (Hamhuis and Corrado) :lol But it's just the way things have seemed to work out, so we have 3 solid pairings. Weber will probably get his fair share of time as soon as injuries strike.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Tinordi HAS to start in Montreal.

Edit: Prust fighting in preseason again? =/

At least he fed the other guy but still

Seems like good guy Prust is obliging some of the nobodies who are trying to make their team.

Acid08

Banned
Torres is injured, they're waiting on some tests to see if it's a knee sprain or a full on tear. 6 weeks of recovery if sprained, surgery and 3-4 months of recover if torn. hrtc or dstrdl, how's Etem doing?

At least this gives one of our skilled prospects like Nieto or Hamilton a chance to get in the lineup!

McLellan says replacing Torres in #SJSharks lineup not limited to young guys like Hamilton/Nieto. Maybe likes of McCarthy, Kearns or Pelech.

.....or TMac's favorite goons will get the ice time instead. Fuck off.

Heretic

Torres is injured, they're waiting on some tests to see if it's a knee sprain or a full on tear. 6 weeks of recovery if sprained, surgery and 3-4 months of recover if torn. hrtc or dstrdl, how's Etem doing?

At least this gives one of our skilled prospects like Nieto or Hamilton a chance to get in the lineup!

.....or TMac's favorite goons will get the ice time instead. Fuck off.
Etem is day to day according to Bruce.

Top Bottom