• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT2| The Teemu Selanne Sweepstakes

MacAttack

What don't you like about it? I like it way more than 13 because it's not just a shitty breakaway fest. You actually have to work for goals now instead of using the same move over and over again.

It just looks and feels like more of the same to me. I did notice a few changes to the gameplay but somehow it felt worse. I don't want a breakaway fest either but that wasn't the only problem with last season. From what I played of the demo (a couple of games) its still too much of the same to justify grinding a player up to Legend and unlocking all of the bullshit perks while EA fumbles around with sliders, updates, glitches and the usual BS.

You guys are making me want to give it another shot and I will, but after playing the Madden demo and seeing how much that game has improved this gen versus NHL, Im leaning in that direction. I will probably end up getting both but the rest of my EASHL team is probably going to wait for next gen before moving on from NHL 13.

Just a reminder to cancel Gamecenter or it will auto-renew when the season starts up. And it won't be 50 bucks like last time

Oh fuck, I don't think I ever cancelled. Going to check now.

Edit: Wait, how do you cancel? I just see an account and billing options page and that's it. Doesn't seem to be anything to click.

I'm not buying nhl 14 cause it's not on ps4

So the leafs have 8 'regular' tier games, one is vs the ducks..... I imagine that's going to make it stupid hard to get tix..... I hate tiered pricing

Marvie_3

Banned
It just looks and feels like more of the same to me. I did notice a few changes to the gameplay but somehow it felt worse. I don't want a breakaway fest either but that wasn't the only problem with last season. From what I played of the demo (a couple of games) its still too much of the same to justify grinding a player up to Legend and unlocking all of the bullshit perks while EA fumbles around with sliders, updates, glitches and the usual BS.

You guys are making me want to give it another shot and I will, but after playing the Madden demo and seeing how much that game has improved this gen versus NHL, Im leaning in that direction. I will probably end up getting both but the rest of my EASHL team is probably going to wait for next gen before moving on from NHL 13.
Try playing on hardcore simulation. I changed after awhile and it plays a lot better.

It's nowhere near perfect though. Playing against the AI is terrible because there's still soooo much scripted bullshit. If the AI decides they're going to score, you'll get perfect passes and a shot that has no business going in finding the back of the net. Or you'll get a stupid rebound that defies all physics that will bounce to a guy who is already in perfect position and has his stick up in the air to bat the puck. If they could put decent AI in the game, they wouldn't have this shit and it would feel a lot less robotic.

The HUT tourney pisses me off because no matter how well I defend, a fucking CHL team is capable of sniping Quick from all over the place.

Most of this doesn't matter to me though because I don't play offline that much. If its absolute shit online like 13 was, then I'm not going to stick with it long. GTA5 will be out right after that and I'd have no problem trashing NHL for GTA. Thankfully EA has come out and said that all online games will be using the hardcore simulation setting so that gives me a little hope. I guess we'll see though.

The defensive skating was so god-awful last season, it would have been difficult to make it any worse than it already was.
There was little good in 13. It amazes me how they managed to fuck everything up so bad. It did nothing but reward shitty hockey.

Superfast acceleration and shitty defensive abilities? Breakaway fest!
Spiderman goalies? Time to abuse the same scoring plays over and over again!

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Try playing on hardcore simulation. I changed after awhile and it plays a lot better.

It's nowhere near perfect though. Playing against the AI is terrible because there's still soooo much scripted bullshit. If the AI decides they're going to score, you'll get perfect passes and a shot that has no business going in finding the back of the net. Or you'll get a stupid rebound that defies all physics that will bounce to a guy who is already in perfect position and has his stick up in the air to bat the puck. If they could put decent AI in the game, they wouldn't have this shit and it would feel a lot less robotic.

The HUT tourney pisses me off because no matter how well I defend, a fucking CHL team is capable of sniping Quick from all over the place.

Most of this doesn't matter to me though because I don't play offline that much. If its absolute shit online like 13 was, then I'm not going to stick with it long. GTA5 will be out right after that and I'd have no problem trashing NHL for GTA. Thankfully EA has come out and said that all online games will be using the hardcore simulation setting so that gives me a little hope. I guess we'll see though.

There was little good in 13. It amazes me how they managed to fuck everything up so bad. It did nothing but reward shitty hockey.

Superfast acceleration and shitty defensive abilities? Breakaway fest!
Spiderman goalies? Time to abuse the same scoring plays over and over again!
Where did they say this???

Marvie_3

Banned
Where did they say this???

One of the developers said it on the EA forums. I can't find the direct quote right now.

Edit: Found it.

4rrohbp.png

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Bunch of goddamned chickens here balking at the prospect of getting a mouthful of your own spunk. I love the stuff, it's like nectar of the goddamned gods. Between that and a little juice, you just wring the bedsheets out after a night with a couple girls. Just wring out the bedsheets and drip it all into your mouth. Goddamn nothing makes you feel more like a beast than a mix of fluids. Live a little.

I am being serious. I've swallowed tons of my own semen. So have others. It's not a horrible thing unless you have a stank-ass dick. It also is a good incentive. If it's not clean and good enough for me to put in my mouth, why would I expect a big gal to do the same? It just wouldn't be fair. It's been said that I'll never ask someone to do something I wouldn't do first. I prove it.

GAF, what are you doing, GAF, stahp it

Samyy

Oh he is just trolling guys
I mean he has to be trolling, theres no way not even on gaf
He is trolling right?
Right??

CCF23

I'm really liking the NHL 14 demo. The new hitting is great, same with the new fighting engine. The hitting feels a bit too easy right now, but I expect that to be tuned. Same with the frequency of fights.

Aside from that, the skating feels better (no more huge, gliding circles) and it just feels like a more polished experience. Some minor gripes, for sure, but it should be better than last year's game.

Smiley90

We could make a blockbuster movie based on all 7.

We'll call it... 7 Monkeys. In a post-apocalyptic future, CakeBoss travels through time to find out which of his alts is responsible for his liver failure.

Also, downloading the NHL 14 demo now.

Smiley90

Is it just me or does NHL14 (at least in hardcore simulation) have 1-sided fight initiations? I throw a huge hit and I get challenged almost immediately at least 2/3 times per period.

I'm not complaining, the hits feel reaaaaally sweet. Bodies flying everywhere, much more so than NHl13. I'm definitely playing D again in EASHL. Then wsox can stop complaining about me ruining offense, too. :p

Marvie_3

Banned
Is it just me or does NHL14 (at least in hardcore simulation) have 1-sided fight initiations? I throw a huge hit and I get challenged almost immediately at least 2/3 times per period.

I'm not complaining, the hits feel reaaaaally sweet. Bodies flying everywhere, much more so than NHl13. I'm definitely playing D again in EASHL. Then wsox can stop complaining about me ruining offense, too. :p

Stuff like the fighting is always cranked way the hell up in demos. Since that's their big addition this year, they need to show it off.

Smiley90

Stuff like the fighting is always cranked way the hell up in demos. Since that's their big addition this year, they need to show it off.

But it's not even the number of fights - it's one-sided. I believe previous games needed both players to agree to a fight, no? Now it's a hit and I'm suddenly in a fight without even clicking anything.

Marvie_3

Banned
But it's not even the number of fights - it's one-sided. I believe previous games needed both players to agree to a fight, no? Now it's a hit and I'm suddenly in a fight without even clicking anything.

That's the new "feature". The enforcer engine. Almost as big of a waste of time as the NHL 94 mode.

Cake Boss

Banned
NHL 12- Hey guys , we got this new feature where you get to waste time after the whistle on hitting, hooking and grabbing people for no reason, all it is basically making your game go on longer than it should be.

NHL 13- Hey guys, we got rid of the shit so you can play the actual game and not waste time on stupid shit.

NHL 14- Hey, here are some stupid shit you can do after the whistle.

Smiley90

That's the new "feature". The enforcer engine. Almost as big of a waste of time as the NHL 94 mode.

For what it's worth, I laughed a bit when I got challenged to a fight after shooting the puck at the goalie post-whistle. It's somewhat realistic.

Smiley90

When Patrick Kane is stepping in to fight Chara, it's not realistic at all.

I haven't had that happen yet. I've gotten challenged as Hall though, with no way of having one of my other, more suited players able to step in. That's a bit annoying, since you can essentially just take out the other team's best players without them being able to defend themselves.

Top Bottom