• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT2| The Teemu Selanne Sweepstakes

gaming_noob

Caroline Cameron
@SNCaroline: Kessel on free agency: "It's something I think all guys look forward to. You can choose where you want to play. I'll see what happens."

The Bozak re-signing is looking worse and worse.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hearing two totally different stories on Stepan. One that he's going to sign today and not miss any on-ice work at camp (which really starts tomorrow) and one that the two sides aren't even close and that he's going to be a hold out. Whatever.

In the meantime, according to Dan Rosen, Marty Biron is not at Rangers camp, and Johan Hedberg is.

E6!

Theoretically the possibility of the Leafs being a contender exists. A million things have to line up and literally every young core player needs to take the next step in their development but I don't think the possibility can be discredited immediately.

A young core of Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Gardiner, Reilly, Bernier looks good on paper, and the older guys like Phaneuf, Lupul and Clarkson are solid. Again though, like every young player needs to reach their potential this year for that statement to be close to true.

Heck, any team can be a contender, all they have to do is BELIEVE!!! Except for the Flames, they are going to suck regardless, sorry Zedge. :(

Merguson

Banned
Big difference between predicting a game win vs. comparing the Leafs to a team that's won 2 Stanley Cups in the last few years.

I get that he's just pandering to the locals but come on.

"Go ahead, write it," Alfredsson told the Ottawa Sun. "I guarantee we'll win the Cup. I strongly believe this team will do it. No question about it."

Either way, both thought the team would be contenders. We know the end result.

But yes, you are right. Not a statement I would make. I need more consistency from the Leafs other than one playoff berth.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Woke up this morning and checked again--Cleary is still not going to be on Detroit this year.

Not a dream: confirmed. Happiness: abound.

Either way, both thought the team would be contenders. We know the end result.

Like I said I don't really find fault with calling the team a "contender", although it's a bit of a stretch and "contender" can mean so many things. No player will come out and say his team sucks.

But comparing the Leafs to the Blackhawks is just LOL. I don't see the similarities, both on paper and recent results.

IMO there's just as much if not more expectations on the Sens this year and no one here is comparing the team to past SC winners.

Osorio

tumblr_msyyhy63Wi1s8wrcho1_500.jpg

The awkwardness of Olympic camp is carrying over.

@lkorac10 Armstrong said he made an offer to Pietrangelo's camp late last night and felt good about something getting done.

@NormSanders Army said there is no animosity toward Petro and he holds him in the highest regard. Just thinks he should be here for camp

@StLouisBlues(2 of 2) "I want to crystalize that for our fans and 29 other poachers out there. He's going to be a Blue."
@StLouisBlues(1 of 2): Armstrong: "Alex is going to be a Blue, whether it's now or when in the future...he will be a Blue."

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
In OTT, sounds like Bobby Ryan may start on LW alongside Spezza-Michalek with Clarke MacArthur potentially on Kyle Turris's LW.

Can't wait ! That's a dangerous top line with Ryan in there now.

Just need to see who plays on the 2nd line with Turris and Mac.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Uh oh Mckenzie saying Carolina might think of going after Franson with Pitkanen done for the season.

Still wouldn't mind a first rounder.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Uh oh Mckenzie saying Carolina might think of going after Franson with Pitkanen done for the season.

Still wouldn't mind a first rounder.
Carolina isn't a playoff team, dunno if they're prepared to give up that 1st rounder when they could grab Hainsey who's still unsigned.

Red_Man

"We're not looking for son-in-laws, we're trying to win hockey games." - Oilers coach Dallas Eakins, on wanting more grit in the lineup
Damn. Feels so good to have hockey back.

Spl1nter

They're probably convinced they are a playoff team, given how much money they've invested in some of their players.

I was going to say the same thing. They probably think they are and can be a playoff team when thinking about potential and peak performance of Ward, Staals, Skinner, Tlusty, and Semin. Also possibility of Lindholm playing on the 3rd line.

Not sure if the Leafs want that development time of a 1st rounder for a current player entering into their prime. Also feel like that would end up being a bad trade for them in the long run. Franson still has a lot of potential.

Red_Man

A lot of team's are playoff teams if all their best players peak, but their division is too hard, I don't see it happening.

Top Bottom