• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT2| - Dan Cleary

Quick

Banned
iMhb2vUP107Sg.gif

Is prefer to stick with the 16. So long as people don't take too fucking long to pick, we should be good. Maybe if you can determine draft order earlier things may be faster.

Agree with this. It also makes sure people draft right. Take flyers on vets and rookies out to prove themselves.

#50in07 will probably get picked if we do a 16 teamer. And that's always good.

Don't agree on new 3DS hype. The existing system hardly has 10 games I care about owning and now I need to buy another one to get the next 10 games worth the trouble? Shit sounds like smart phone lifecycles, no thanks.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I keep looking at it and throwing money at the screen, but nothing is happening :(

2015 :(

I'm not thrilled about small hardware upgrades like this that feature exclusive content, but the thing looks so sexy with those SNES coloured buttons!

Calamari41

41 > 38
Don't agree on new 3DS hype. The existing system hardly has 10 games I care about owning and now I need to buy another one to get the next 10 games worth the trouble? Shit sounds like smart phone lifecycles, no thanks.

It's a bit clumsy now, but if they can get this strategy going it would actually mean that your systems would have their lives extended. Rather than cutting off support for the older system as the new one is getting ready to launch, you could potentially have shared software for a time between the two. Even if you can't get every single new release on the old hardware, it still means months or years of support for the old one that wouldn't have been there with a hard generational cutoff.

Think of it like what we've seen with the cross-generational development between PS3 and PS4, except you wouldn't have to buy two copies of the game to play on both systems. Again, this isn't as much the case with the New 3DS since the specs aren't that much higher, but in my mind it is a positive development toward the kind of output that I described.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Release redesigns that make your previous model obsolete? How is this a good thing?

I already explained it. Release upgraded systems that specifically don't make your previous models obsolete. Ease generational transitions rather than cutting support for legacy systems cold.

And as I also said, this is a clumsy implementation of that but I like the idea. They just need to execute it fully in the future.

Acid08

Banned
It's a cool upgrade but I personally don't see any reason to buy it. If they had actually put higher res screens on it then maybe.

I specifically didn't buy the original 3DS because of how much Nintendo loves redesigns. Thought the XL was a safe purchase because surely Nintendo wouldn't pull something like this. Guess I was wrong.

Socreges

Banned
I already explained it. Release upgraded systems that specifically don't make your previous models obsolete. Ease generational transitions rather than cutting support for legacy systems cold.

And as I also said, this is a clumsy implementation of that but I like the idea. They just need to execute it fully in the future.
You're assuming that Nintendo would want to have this ease of transition. But we can be confident that they're going to A) exploit this new hardware with any new first party titles, and B) encourage consumers to buy the new hardware (meaning delivering lots of major s/w)

Granted, both sides are making assumptions. But I'd be surprised if Nintendo continued to support the <<OLD!>> Nintendo 3DS

2015 :(

I'm not thrilled about small hardware upgrades like this that feature exclusive content, but the thing looks so sexy with those SNES coloured buttons!
You are what's wrong with humanity

Calamari41

41 > 38
You're assuming that Nintendo would want to have this ease of transition. But we can be confident that they're going to A) exploit this new hardware with any new first party titles, and B) encourage consumers to buy the new hardware (meaning delivering lots of major s/w)

Granted, both sides are making assumptions. But I'd be surprised if Nintendo continued to support the <<OLD!>> Nintendo 3DS

Their investor meetings over the past year have talked about this plan in pretty solid detail. They definitely want it.

And honestly, they aren't going to stop supporting the old 3DS any time soon. It would be suicide to outright stop making games that can be played on it as though this were a traditional generational change. This is way closer to the Gameboy to Gameboy Color transition than the Gameboy Color to Gameboy Advance transition.

It would be real shitty of them to make exclusive games for this thing. I don't see that happening, but it would definitely be bullshit if it did.

It looks good visually. Except that "second stick" is a fucking disaster.

Marvie_3

Banned
It would be real shitty of them to make exclusive games for this thing. I don't see that happening, but it would definitely be bullshit if it did.

The second stick is the only thing I'm not a fan of. Buying the fuck out of the new 3DS.

calder

Ok, so if I get Hockeystreams this year instead of GCL it has a native app for the chromecast thing? I'm really all about proper app support, I'm too lazy to fuck around with browser shit. I'm out of HDMI inputs on my receiver so I'd need mini switch of some kind but those are cheap.

... I just asked a Hockeystreams question out loud three times assuming that Smelly would appear behind me in my cubicle but nothing yet. Must be in a meeting or something.

Calamari41

41 > 38

They are making exclusive games for it, but the difference I think is that these games couldn't work on the old 3DS even if they wanted them to. For example, there's no way to get Xenoblade to work adequately on the old model, but I guess the new one has just enough kick to get it going.

Nintendo isn't going to throw away the 60 million person userbase of the old 3DS by releasing Link Between Worlds 2 (or whatever) as a N3DS exclusive when it can run on both. They will just give the N3DS version better 3D, better framerate, whatever. Exactly like we got with the Gameboy Color.

The second stick is the only thing I'm not a fan of. Buying the fuck out of the new 3DS.

Yeah that thing is weird as hell, but I guess I can see its use as a dedicated camera control input. Eh.

Socreges

Banned
Their investor meetings over the past year have talked about this plan in pretty solid detail. They definitely want it.

And honestly, they aren't going to stop supporting the old 3DS any time soon. It would be suicide to outright stop making games that can be played on it as though this were a traditional generational change. This is way closer to the Gameboy to Gameboy Color transition than the Gameboy Color to Gameboy Advance transition.
Maybe I'm not being clear. I'm talking about their key first-party software. ie, what matters in transitions like these. If they release a new Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc, I firmly expect it to be exclusive to the new 3DS. Meanwhile the old 3DS will continue to get Pushmo 3000 and other such small titles.

Xenoblade is exclusive (ignoring the Wii version). They're setting a precedent there.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Maybe I'm not being clear. I'm talking about their key first-party software. ie, what matters in transitions like these. If they release a new Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc, I firmly expect it to be exclusive to the new 3DS. Meanwhile the old 3DS will continue to get Pushmo 3000 and other such small titles.

I don't expect them to be exclusive, maybe a couple, but we will find out. Like, if Mario 3D Land 2 were coming out next year around when this thing releases, I would fully expect it to be playable on both.

They'd be throwing away millions in software sales and defeating the entire premise behind this "master plan" of cross-generational compatibility. Exclusives will exist of course, especially when they go full-bore on this plan during the next big generation switch, but there would be no point in this plan if they were going to do a hard cutoff anyway.

Again, this is more of a Gameboy Color transition as opposed to a generational transition. The vast majority of Gameboy Color games released could be played on the OG Gameboy. I expect the same here.

Edit: as time goes on, of course development will shift more fully to the new system. But the entire point of their new way of doing things is to eliminate the hard cutoffs of support.

Socreges

Banned
I don't expect them to be, maybe a couple, but we will find out. Like, if Mario 3D Land 2 were coming out next year around when this thing releases, I would fully expect it to be playable on both.

They'd be throwing away millions in software sales and defeating the entire premise behind this "master plan" of cross-generational compatibility. Exclusives will exist of course, especially when they go full-bore on this plan during the next big generation switch, but there would be no point in this plan if they were going to do a hard cutoff anyway.
This isn't just a difference of colour. Or of sharper 3D. There is a difference in power (see: Xenoblade). If they develop software for BOTH, they are necessarily compromising the potential of the game.

I'm positive there is a, say, Zelda game far enough along that is essentially a 3DS game that isn't designed for the New 3DS but will release for it with 'superior 3D'. That will be the bridge in 2015, but it's not unlike other h/w transitions.

My point is this: Nintendo WILL begin to block out people who refuse to buy the new h/w (from their most desirable s/w) and it'll be sooner than you imply. And this, in my mind, is unfortunate for consumers, especially since the generational leap doesn't appear to be significant.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Fair enough, but I will wait until it actually happens before I take to the streets.

And I kind of started arguing beyond my initial point, which was that I like the idea of this but the execution is sloppy. A half step. What I actually look forward to is the full implementation of this concept with the next round of hardware.

Edit: The nerds on the Gaming side seem to be saying that the GB to GBC had a similar bump in specs.

Top Bottom