• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Quick

Banned
Dopey, like an erection, the cap will rise. And like a pity fuck, McDavid, Strome, Stamkos and Tavares will take a massive discount to make a superteam in Toronto.

Book It. Quick Guarantee.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I feel bad that this Iwata stuff is lost on me. I get that he was a really important guy, but this stuff seems pretty dramatic.

*shrugs*

Quick

Banned
I feel bad that this Iwata stuff is lost on me. I get that he was a really important guy, but this stuff seems pretty dramatic.

*shrugs*

I'm with you on this one, Red.

I respect his contributions and importance to the industry, but I just don't care that much.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

I respect his contributions and importance to the industry, but I just don't care that much.
It all seems a little Steve Jobsish kind of worshiping going on right now, it's weird.

I don't either. But that's gaming side for you. Hyperbolic as fuck.

Same as the thread asking people to eat crow now that Shenmue 3 is funded. Like, I understand your enthusiasm, but do you have to be so smug?

Quick

Banned
It all seems a little Steve Jobsish kind of worshiping going on right now, it's weird.

I just find the hero worshiping of business leaders weird in general, personally. But Iwata and his contributions certainly aren't quite like your other gaming industry CEOs or something.

zroid

Banned

Respectfully, it's a pretty different scenario from Steve Jobs. They were both visionaries to be sure, but the reason Iwata's death had such a strong impact on people is because of the manner in which he ran his company and carried himself. For the last 10 years or so, a lot of people, industry members and consumers both, almost felt like we knew him on a personal level. It was a real connection that doesn't happen with most executives, in any industry. When Hiroshi Yamauchi died a couple years ago, it didn't have anywhere near the same impact, even though he was certainly a more important figure in Nintendo's history. That coupled with the sudden and unexpected nature of his death, it was very emotional for a lot of us.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Steve Jobs was a cutthroat businessman who ran a slick marketing department. Iwata was something else entirely.

I don't blame anybody for not feeling it, though. It's different if you grew up a fan of the guy's games and believed in his mission in the industry. Plus there's the whole general empathy for seeing a nice guy die young.

Quick

Banned
I don't either. But that's gaming side for you. Hyperbolic as fuck.

Same as the thread asking people to eat crow now that Shenmue 3 is funded. Like, I understand your enthusiasm, but do you have to be so smug?

Off-Topic GAF can really get into that eat crow shit with Marvel movies. I love the MCU community here, and I participate regularly (movie OTs, general posting), but I just don't bother with the victim complex of "everyone expects us to fail, let's get the crows ready to serve!" I think I saw Red's post get quoted when he talked about Guardians of the Galaxy and it was part of this massive post quoting everyone who thought it wouldn't do well.

I loved each movie, I want to see them do more and do well. But I'm not gonna be an ass about it.

Respectfully, it's a pretty different scenario from Steve Jobs. They were both visionaries to be sure, but the reason Iwata's death had such a strong impact on people is because of the manner in which he ran his company and carried himself. For the last 10 years or so, a lot of people, industry members and consumers both, almost felt like we knew him on a personal level. It was a real connection that doesn't happen with most executives, in any industry. When Hiroshi Yamauchi died a couple years ago, it didn't have anywhere near the same impact, even though he was certainly a more important figure in Nintendo's history. That coupled with the sudden and unexpected nature of his death, it was very emotional for a lot of us.

Sure. I can agree with this. Iwata's done something right if he garners this much outpouring of condolences.

When Jobs died, it was the same. It was a sad thing, but I tip my hat and wish my condolences.

LINES FOR SILVER ARROWS NHL 2004 ATLANTA THRASHERS

Kovalchuk - Briere - Jagr
Nagy - Richards - Fedotenko
Keane - Prospal - Vrbata
Clymer - Hartnell - McKay

Lidstrom - Chara
Morris - Salei
Khavanov - Marchment

Kiprusoff
Miller

zroid

Banned
I didn't even follow any sports in those days, but I still remember how incredibly angry everyone in Toronto was when the Leafs missed the playoffs after the lockout. Little did they know...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Wasn't it 70? I don't think the Rangers even hit 100?

I believe they hit that high after the trade deadline just because of all the big name players they took on... but they never paid out that much.

I didn't even follow any sports in those days, but I still remember how incredibly angry everyone in Toronto was when the Leafs missed the playoffs after the lockout. Little did they know...

Why did the devils play clemmenson... whyyyyy

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6030196#post6030196

I believe they hit that high after the trade deadline just because of all the big name players they took on... but they never paid out that much.

Why did the devils play clemmenson... whyyyyy

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6030196#post6030196

Is Luongo playing today? A win would give him a share of the record with Brodeur (and in fewer games). :)

giphy.gif

If only Past Soc knew what Future Soc knows now

calder

Spotify is making me seriously salty.

This is what they wrote to me

*facepalm*

My email address is the same for Apple ID and Spotify :(

Spotify Pls

I grew to love spotify the last few months, but I started using Apple Music's free trial and I'm really liking it a lot. It's annoying to get into at first because iTunes makes it confusing (say cloud one more time motherfuckers!) but it looks a lot better than spotify imo.

Also the fact spotify STILL hasn't come out with a family plan in Canada is legitimately infuriating. What a joke.

In other important calder media consumption news: the SirriusXM terrestrial repeater in Winnipeg has been broken for almost two months now, making the satellite radio in the car totally useless 80% of the time. And nothing is more annoying than the horrific customer service from XM, they just reply with the bullshit non answers that drives everyone nuts and then say it's fixed after clearly not understanding the question. Is there a single large media/tech/etc company with good support anywhere?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'm kind of amazed at how quickly free agency just died

With 3 expected deep drafts in a row.... NHL is going to look very different very quickly and the FA lists in 3-5 years will be brutal to look at... the European leagues are going to be loaded with some great talent.

At least daniel cleary will still be around to drag the red wings down for the next couple decades

1Q82oBB_zpsr9afnkya.gif~original

zroid

Banned
Apparently the Tukwila expansion bid is going to be made, and they have a fully private funding plan for the arena, which sounds promising.

Seattle, dude.

Ohh

It didn't click to me. I wasn't thinking Seattle
Good stuff from Josh Weissbock:

Wi14jS0.gif

Assuming 10 games minimum, here's the list from this year of 20 year olds with a good chance of being NHL regulars:

Chris Tierney
Mikhail Grigorenko
Connor Brown
Derrick Pouliot (probably has an ever higher chance since he did it playing D)
Emile Poirier
Charles Hudon
Brendan Leipsic
Brandon Montour
Matt Dumba (also did it playing D)

Only name I didn't recognize was Brandon Montour....an overage defenseman the Ducks drafted last year?
I hope Hudon makes it to the lineup this year

Marvie_3

Banned
Sums it up pretty well. For me, its all of that plus the fact that he had such a big impact on many of my favorite games and series of all time. I didnt always agree with some of the moves he made as nintendo president but his view on gaming as a whole is very similar to mine.

Apparently the Tukwila expansion bid is going to be made, and they have a fully private funding plan for the arena, which sounds promising.
Good. City of Seattle did an impressive job of dragging their feet.

Top Bottom