• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT| My prospects are better than yours

Yawnier

Banned
I'm starting to think Nylander might be the best choice if we pick 4th

Dubois, juolevi, tkachuk, chychrun all make me nervous

How does Dubois make you nervous? We have little center prospects after W Nylander and Dubois has skill, size, is a primary point machine and is one of the younger players at the top of the draft this year.

The other three I can understand to an extent though.

Foggy

I would probably laugh really hard when the Leafs end up at 29th in the standings next season.

Then proceed to cry and just become an Oilers fan at that point.

I think it makes the most sense to keep all expectations in a holding pattern until the Leafs can find reliable goaltending.

Samyy

How does Dubois make you nervous? We have little center prospects after W Nylander and Dubois has skill, size, is a primary point machine and is one of the younger players at the top of the draft this year.

Well Dubois has sort of jumped into the discussion for #4 fairly recently no? That would make me somewhat nervous.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

because size.

size in juniors skews stats... he isn't going to be overpowering NHL players like he can in junior.

Delryk

If Leafs are picking 4th then I think they should definitely field offers from the Habs

let's just say it's pretty unlikely Bernier will be the worst starter in the NHL again next year. his track record is that of a league average goalie, so that's probably what he'll be.

If Leafs pick 4th.. I'm sure Hunter will be all over Tkachuk.....

zroid

Banned
sAPZi2H.png

Yawnier

Banned
Well Dubois has sort of jumped into the discussion for #4 fairly recently no? That would make me somewhat nervous.

Marner had a similar progression last season where he rocketed from the top 10-15 to the top 5. They're obv not the same player but personally that doesn't concern me too much.

because size.

size in juniors skews stats... he isn't going to be overpowering NHL players like he can in junior.
Fair enough

Yeah, that's my worry, but at the same time there were reports Leafs wanted to trade down last year with Marner available, so maybe not
Yeah they wanted to trade down to the #8 spot with Columbus but Columbus didn't want to give up all their second rounders. There's a video of it on youtube

Delryk

Yeah, that's my worry, but at the same time there were reports Leafs wanted to trade down last year with Marner available, so maybe not

Well it's not like it's a really deep draft this year... And we have picks like no tomorrow. Anything can happen!.. I'd take Tkachuk over Dubois 9 times out of 10 though.

As long as we get Zaitsev on May 1st.. who cares about Radulov! .. ;-)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Just the fact that Boyle and Eric Staal will be gone is addition by subtraction. If Girardi is bought out, that's another positive. I agree about Moore as well. The Rangers need to get some young legs in the lineup and regain that speed that they lost when they traded Hagelin and St. Louis got old.

If GeneralFanager's buyout calculator is anything to go by, buying out Dan Girardi would not be ideal.

http://www.generalfanager.com/buyouts/1376?day=15&year=2016

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Henrik Lundqvist ‏@HLundqvist30 12m 12 minutes ago
A season that is hard to rate right now came to an end with a crash. The pain of disappointment will be felt for a while no denying in that.

Thank u all for the support during the year & I promise u that it will be our mission to prove any doubters we can come back better next yr

NHL is so competitive that success can never be taken for granted. With a vision/hard work I believe we can get there, I hope u do 2! #NYR

NYR breakup day is tomorrow.

Florida

Draft picks this year: 1, 4, 5, 6x2. Not great. Next couple years are mostly intact.

Contracts: Purcell, Campbell, Hudler, Jagr, Mitchell are all UFA. They have $26.6M of cap space for next season, so lots of flexibility. They'll have to look at 2017-18 since Ekblad, Smith and Huberdeau's contracts will be up.

Prospects: Decent with Crouse and Matheson. Don't really see any goaltending standouts though, which will be concerning since Luongo is 37.

Needs: A backup goalie and a top-4 defenceman.

Minnesota

Draft picks this year: 1, 4, 7x2. Yikes. They also don't have a 2nd rounder in 2017.

Contracts: Their top 4 D is locked up at around $21M total and are pretty young (Suter is the oldest at 31). Vanek and Pominville's contracts are high but at least Vanek only has one more year. There's only $6M in cap space for next year, though.

Prospects: Seem to be deep on defence but lacking up front.

Needs: A healthy Parise, a number 2 centreman, a top-6 forward. Do they have any faith in Kuemper? Might need a veteran backup too.

I can see them trading a young defenceman (Dumba) for some forward help or picks.

Philadelphia

Draft picks this year: 1, 2x2, 3x2, 4, 5, 6x2, 7. Intact for the next two seasons, too.

Contracts: Remember RJ Umberger? 34 this year at a $4.6M cap hit. Thankfully it's only one more year. I wouldn't be surprised if they bought him out.

Mark Streit turns 39 this year but he only has 1 more year at $5.25M. Andrew MacDonald has 4 more years at $5M per. Gudas is an RFA and Gostisbehere will be an RFA next year.

With only about $5M left in cap space, that $8.25M cap hit on Voracek for 11 goals this year doesn't look great.

Prospects: Deep on defence.

Needs: Losing Couturier really hurt their chances against the Caps. Maybe some more forward depth? A Mason/Neuvirth tandem seems fine (but both are UFA's next year). Their defence is set, to the point that trading one of them could help elsewhere. The cap space is a concern, though.

Sitting in Russian Lit and hear an app notification and figured it was the Score. I was thinking, "Oh no, Avs signed Radulov." But then it was for Compher, bullet dodged.

Socreges

Banned
Florida

Draft picks this year: 1, 4, 5, 6x2. Not great. Next couple years are mostly intact.

Contracts: Purcell, Campbell, Hudler, Jagr, Mitchell are all UFA. They have $26.6M of cap space for next season, so lots of flexibility. They'll have to look at 2017-18 since Ekblad, Smith and Huberdeau's contracts will be up.

Prospects: Decent with Crouse and Matheson. Don't really see any goaltending standouts though, which will be concerning since Luongo is 37.

Needs: A backup goalie and a top-4 defenceman.
If only they'd hung onto Markstrom!

Florida

Needs: A backup goalie and a top-4 defenceman

Couple things are Trocheck and Gudbranson are RFA, expecting them to account for ~8-10 million in cap space.

Jagr says he wants to come back so I expect his deal in the next few days. Hurdler, Purcell should be gone.

Gut feeling is Campbell will go to FA, so a PMD is needed.

We actually have a interesting prospect in Sam Motembault in the QMJ, but he is a long ways out.

zroid

Banned
As old as Campbell is, his fancystats are still crazy good. Will be interesting to see how Florida fills that hole if they don't bring him back.

Curufinwe

Philadelphia

Draft picks this year: 1, 2x2, 3x2, 4, 5, 6x2, 7. Intact for the next two seasons, too.

Contracts: Remember RJ Umberger? 34 this year at a $4.6M cap hit. Thankfully it's only one more year. I wouldn't be surprised if they bought him out.

Mark Streit turns 39 this year but he only has 1 more year at $5.25M. Andrew MacDonald has 4 more years at $5M per. Gudas is an RFA and Gostisbehere will be an RFA next year.

With only about $5M left in cap space, that $8.25M cap hit on Voracek for 11 goals this year doesn't look great.

Prospects: Deep on defence.

Needs: Losing Couturier really hurt their chances against the Caps. Maybe some more forward depth? A Mason/Neuvirth tandem seems fine (but both are UFA's next year). Their defence is set, to the point that trading one of them could help elsewhere. The cap space is a concern, though.

I don't know where they are getting $5m in cap space from.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/flyers

For 2016-17 it says $4.9m, but that includes seven contracts that won't be on the team. As well as Vinny's retained salary, and Umberger's $4.6m hit which should shrink to $1.6m when he's bought out.

A season that is hard to rate right now came to an end with a crash. The pain of disappointment will be felt for a while no denying in that.

Thank u all for the support during the year & I promise u that it will be our mission to prove any doubters we can come back better next yr

NHL is so competitive that success can never be taken for granted. With a vision/hard work I believe we can get there, I hope u do 2! #NYR

NYR breakup day is tomorrow.

:( This sux

zroid

Banned
Here's the schedule for the Leafs rookie tournament in London this September:

Friday, September 16, 2016

3:35 p.m. Game # 1 – Pittsburgh (black) vs. Montreal (red)

7:00 p.m. Game #2 – Ottawa (white) vs. Toronto (blue)

Saturday, September 17, 2016

3:35 p.m. Game #3 Pittsburgh (black) vs. Ottawa (white)

7:00 p.m. Game #4 Toronto (blue) vs. Montreal (red)

Sunday, September 18, 2016

1:00 p.m. Game #5 Montreal (red) vs. Ottawa (white)

4:35 p.m. Game #6 Toronto (blue) vs. Pittsburgh (black)

Quick

Banned
Top Bottom