• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT2| I Want off Marc Bergevin's Wild Ride.

zroid

Banned
Why Your Team Sucks: Columbus Blue Jackets

Ohhhhhhhhhh yeeeeeeeahhhhh baby! Torts is BACK! How's that working out so far for you guys?

The best part about this move is they gave up a draft pick to Vancouver just to hire him! They could've looked at a coach that wouldn't have cost them compensation. Hell, had they waited until January when the NHL just randomly decided to scrap this rule, Torts would've cost them nothing. But no; they just had to have Tortorella. The guy who lasted one season in his last job, and, in the job before that, was fired because his own players were ready to overthrow him! I gotta say, it's impressive when you're so bad at your job that the word "mutiny" gets thrown in there.

By the way, it took him all of a week to alienate the team's best player in Ryan Johansen, who was gone by January!

Your Starting Goalie

Sergei Bobrovsky, who as statistics show, is just giving less of a you know what pretty much every year:

Screenshot_2016-08-16_at_8.11.57_AM.0.png

My god, that's not regression; that's a cry for help. What is Columbus DOING to this poor guy? He's just given up in front of this team, and can you really blame him? He should invoke a right to free agency based solely on asylum.

New Things That Suck

Practically nothing! NOTHING AT ALL! They signed Sam Gagner on the cheap in a deal you're just hearing about now for the first time, but that's it. That's minor tinkering. Only good teams should be allowed to do minor tinkering. If you finished fourth-last in the entire league last season, you probably should be doing more than some minor tinkers. This is like changing the drapery in your house, which also happens to be on fire.

Also, they extended Seth Jones- the piece they got in exchange for running Johansen out of town- for six more years. But, they made room for his salary by buying out Fedor Tyutin, who was the only other player that would qualify as a competent defenseman. Just look at this list of blueliners; sheesh. I'm pretty sure Jack Johnson's Corsi rating is lower than his credit score.

The amazing thing is it is only just now that Jarmo Kekelainen is entering the conversation of the worst GM in the league. As if trading away Gaborik for peanuts, hiring a bad coach, then choosing the bad coach over your star player wasn't enough. We literally needed all of these bad contracts to add up to be like "okay, yeah; he's kind of sort of bad at this job." That, and passing on the OBVIOUS choice for your No. 3 pick because you couldn't successfully trade down.

Everything about this franchise is depressing. It hails from one of the most depressing states in the Union, which really is only relevant every four years at election time. The worst part is that they play in the least relevant city in the state of Ohio! Cleveland is bad, but now they have Lebron and championships. Cincinnati has bad chili and the blessed soul of Harambe. Columbus has.....uh, the Nationwide head office, I guess?

iLLmAtlc

I watched the first 2 episodes of Mr. Robot S2 yesterday and is it just me or was that a pretty douchey premiere? They left that big cliffhanger about
where Tyrell is
at the end of S1, had 2 episodes to address it and only raised it to be a cliffhangar in episode 2.

Chris R

I watched the first 2 episodes of Mr. Robot S2 yesterday and is it just me or was that a pretty douchey premiere? They left that big cliffhanger about
where Tyrell is
at the end of S1, had 2 episodes to address it and only raised it to be a cliffhangar in episode 2.

lol

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Is it Shit on the BJs Day or something?

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 6m 6 minutes ago
#CBJ have signed veteran C Jarret Stoll to a training camp tryout

iLLmAtlc

It started off really slow, but finally picked up.

I was just having a giggle about the spoiler block not being resolved in the first two episodes of the season

I see. So similar to season 1 then, because I don't think it became very good until episode 5.

calder

From Yost today: Which historical statistics best predict future scoring rates?

A few weeks ago, a reader reached out with what I thought to be a reasonably simple question. He wanted to know which historical statistics were the most predictive for future player scoring rates.

My original thought was that the best indicator of future player scoring rates – specifically, 5-on-5 points (per 60 minutes) – was simply 5-on-5 points (per 60 minutes) in the preceding year. This should make intuitive sense: we know scoring is a real and repeatable talent for forwards, so theoretically, great scorers should remain great scorers and poor scorers should remain poor scorers. But, the more I thought about it, the more I became curious about whether my gut answer was the right one.
The interesting piece here to me is that while points per 60 is still the best predictor of future points per 60, it’s not nearly as cut and dry as I thought. In fact, Relative CorsiFor/60 – the number of incremental shots a team enjoys when a player is on the ice versus off of the ice – is almost as predictive as actual scoring rates.
The uniqueness of these two measurements (avoiding collinearity) allows us to consider the possibility of using both variables to forecast future scoring, as opposed to simply one measurement versus the other. And by using a combination of the two variables, our model can forecast with a higher level of accuracy.

As for the results: I think the list checks out. Here’s a quick forecasted top-20 scorers using the above criteria.

forecasted-top-20-scorers.jpg

It’ll be worth revisiting this post at year end to see where the stat-based approach came close, where it deviated, and whether we can refine our projections through additional criteria that weren’t considered for the purpose of this post.

Did I quote this mainly because of #2 and 3 on that list? No comment.

iLLmAtlc

Looking at some stats for fantasy hockey and Boone Jenner scored 30 goals last year? that shit cray. definitely flew under my radar.

Foggy

Looking at some stats for fantasy hockey and Boone Jenner scored 30 goals last year? that shit cray. definitely flew under my radar.

He also scored 16 goals in his rookie season and then the next year he was hit hard by injuries. He's very underrated as an offensive contributor, even around here since the only thing they want to talk about is his character.

zroid

Banned
He also scored 16 goals in his rookie season and then the next year he was hit hard by injuries. He's very underrated as an offensive contributor, even around here since the only thing they want to talk about is his character.

I guarantee that his name contributes to the impression people have that he's just a grinder

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Vita? Piracy? Drama? What?

Why would someone waste their time trying to hack a Vita? What the fuck?
It's an excellent handheld limited only by the lack of games people want for it. It came out at the wrong time.

But it's comfortable to use, has a gorgeous screen, quite a bit of RAM, and actually good analog sticks

Yawnier

Banned
Vita? Piracy? Drama? What?

Why would someone waste their time trying to hack a Vita? What the fuck?

You'd be surprised. When it comes to getting 'free' games some people lose their shit over it

I wouldn't be shocked if Sony start to ban people who were online in their PSN account when using that henkaku program or whatever.

imBask

Banned
You'd be surprised. When it comes to getting 'free' games some people lose their shit over it

I wouldn't be shocked if Sony start to ban people who were online in their PSN account when using that henkaku program or whatever.

yeah but what's the drama? I love me some good old GAF holier than thou posts

Quick

Banned
Godamn. A Snow reference. I better not get Informer stuck in my head because of you.

Sing it with me!

Informer
You know say Daddy Snow me, I'm gonna blame
A licky boom-boom down
'Tective man says Daddy Snow stabbed someone down the lane
A licky boom-boom down
Informer
You know say Daddy Snow me, I'm gonna blame
A licky boom-boom down
'Tective man says Daddy Snow stabbed someone down the lane
A licky boom-boom down

Top Bottom