• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT2| I Want off Marc Bergevin's Wild Ride.

Everyone knows it's a blatant cash grab. With that said, I'm not sure why many NHL fans are vocally against the idea of this thing "replacing" the Olympics (not that anyone thinks it actually could). The Olympics are awful, and I would personally rather that money go into the NHL owners' coffers than the IOC's.

Either way, if the WCOH is successful (aka people are watching) then it will continue, otherwise it won't. Pretty straightforward.

I don't think I'll enjoy the WCOH as much as I do with the Olympics.

zroid

Banned
I don't think I'll enjoy the WCOH as much as I do with the Olympics.
I know, everyone loves the Olympics because it's the only international tournament where the stakes are high. My point is that the Olympics aren't inherently better than the WCOH. In terms of human rights toll, you could argue it's a hell of a lot worse.

Quick

Banned
The World Cup of Hockey is not the Olympics, and likely never will be, no matter how badly the NHL wants it to be. It’s a made-for-TV, jersey-selling cash grab that will give the NHL a national spotlight — back on ESPN for the first time sine 2004 — during the thick of baseball pennant races and the start of football season.

I wish this article got into the nitty gritty of why this more then ever seems to be a massive cash grab, but alas it isn't. It's yet another puff piece about the WCH. It's only takes a somewhat differing opinion then the shilling from Sportsnet in the first few lines.

I don't think anything more needs to be said about the WCH. It's unabashedly a cash grab, and everyone who follows hockey like we do knows it. It's basically the All-Star Game with some effort.

I'm not against it, but I'm not super excited for it either. Like zroid said, it's never going to replace the Olympics. But maybe with better marketing strategies or marketing in general, it could at least generate a remotely similar type of buzz as the Olympics or the FIFA World Cup (which is probably their long-term goal/hope).

Tabris

Yeah... I'm not feeling the World Cup when NFL Week 1 is here. Sorry.

Agreed. I also find it hard to have the same level of interest in a sport with no fantasy implications.

Winter olympics is a different story. Super interested when that happens due to national pride, but this NHL world tournament? No thanks.

zroid

Banned
the NFL is the shittiest league to ever exist. Even worse than the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Man I decided I wasn't going to watch the NFL this year, because it just makes me feel like an awful person. Then today I found myself checking when the season was starting... 🙈🙈🙈

Have you been in an NFL fantasy league with a bunch of buddies with actual money on the line?

No, and honestly, I don't want to.

Ultimately, there isn't much to do with what is present within the fantasy leagues that are popular. I much prefer having full control over finances, and I want the players I choose to actually mean something over a full season, instead of a week by week difference.

If I am going to play armchair manager, I want to have full control over a team. Not simply choose the players and make adjustments as I see fit. And I want an actual endgoal, not just bragging rights between a group of people. I want to see the fruits of my labor, mainly, playing for a championship.

Marvie_3

Banned
fantasy is honestly stupid, would much rather build a team in a game and see the fruits of my labor there.
This. Fantasy sports are awful. Even worse is hearing people talk about their fantasy teams.

Man I decided I wasn't going to watch the NFL this year, because it just makes me feel like an awful person. Then today I found myself checking when the season was starting... 🙈🙈🙈
Havent watched any football in a couple years now. Its been great.

Quick

Banned
Should've had the World Cup in early-August, IMO.

Players were probably against that as it cuts down on their summer vacation.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Have you been in an NFL fantasy league with a bunch of buddies with actual money on the line?

Fantasy football is the absolute worst thing about football. Root for your actual fucking team and not a revolving and arbitrary collection of whoever the fuck.

Marvie_3

Banned
Fantasy football is the absolute worst thing about football. Root for your actual fucking team and not a revolving and arbitrary collection of whoever the fuck.
This. Plus you get the tools who think theyre a sports guru just because they beat a few of their frat buddies in a fantasy league or some random guy on their fantasy team they never heard of before the season played halfway decent.

This. Plus you get the tools who think theyre a sports guru just because they beat a few of their frat buddies in a fantasy league or some random guy on their fantasy team they never heard of before the season played halfway decent.

this is entirely too accurate :lol

So essentially, you just described Tabris.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I started to look at Filip Forsberg's and William Nylander's stats side by side and somehow my hand ended up in my pants

Marvie_3

Banned
I mentioned it awhile back but I figured I'd ask again. Is anyone up for an NHL-GAF EASHL team in NHL 17? I remember a few people were interested the first time I mentioned it.

malfcn

I like it, why would a goalie need all that extra padding on their shoulders? He's not even protecting anything. We could see more top cheese goals this season.

There isn't quite as much padding in that area as it would appear. I could post pictures of my chest protector if needed. Normally there is the body piece with arms sewn in - that spot has zero padding. Then there is a shoulder cap to protector that gap, and then the shoulder wing over top. The shapes and sizes of wings are constantly tweaked to maximize protection versus mobility.

I mentioned it awhile back but I figured I'd ask again. Is anyone up for an NHL-GAF EASHL team in NHL 17? I remember a few people were interested the first time I mentioned it.

NHL 16 was boring, I'm not even bothering with 17

Everyone needs to copy Diamond Dynasty from MLB The Show, I like it way better than Ultimate Team garbage

Calamari41

41 > 38
fantasy is honestly stupid, would much rather build a team in a game and see the fruits of my labor there.

Fantasy sports is basically Dungeons and Dragons for people who think they're too cool for that nerdy Dungeons and Dragons shit.

Like, this nerd can recite the stats on all the weird monster things, and you know the on-base percentage of every player in MLB. No real difference.

Top Bottom