• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT2| I Want off Marc Bergevin's Wild Ride.

I don't have any long term predictions for us this year other than Varlamov actually having competition for his job might produce some truly great goal tending for us again. Other than that? Fuck man I just hope Bednar stops pairing Iginla with anything resembling speed. That alone will be a step up from Roy.

calder

Holy shit is that Harambe stuff annoying. Annoying as a meme in general, but really wince inducing every time due to all the other despicable related shit.

If 6 months ago you had asked me if Twitch chat could possibly get worse I'd have said no. How wrong I was.

Yawnier

Banned
I don't have any long term predictions for us this year other than Varlamov actually having competition for his job might produce some truly great goal tending for us again. Other than that? Fuck man I just hope Bednar stops pairing Iginla with anything resembling speed. That alone will be a step up from Roy.

Hopefully the Avs keep the Jets out of the playoffs

Foggy

How did this dumb fuck get another international coaching job?

His son is an army ranger stationed somewhere in Afghanistan now doing crazy special forces stuff. He's even talked about removing any references to hockey "battles" and "war" and "combat" and shit like that because he think it denigrates real soldiers. A combination of that and Torts being Torts. It shouldn't come as a surprise that the dude comes from a pretty extreme place on most things.

edit: woops I forgot Minnesota was a thing.

uNZOhsC.gif

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
jesus

I just decided to look at the U18 USNTDP stats more closely

Eichel had 12 points in 12 games vs NCAA opponents
Matthews had 20 points in 13 games vs NCAA opponents

he had more goals than Eichel had points o_O
and had as many GWG as eichel had goals lol

NCAA would have basically been a junior league to him if he went

zroid

Banned
I got into this really awkward / embarrassing situation on the road this morning.

I'm stopped at a red light with the intent to turn right. There's a car in front of me who's going straight; he has no turn signal on. The lane was not just a right turn lane so this is fine. There's a car behind me also turning right, and she's obviously a psycho cause she starts honking her horn and does so continuously for like a minute. I'm not sure whether she thinks there's no car in front of me and I'm just not paying attention, or whether she doesn't realize the car in front of me wanted to go straight. Either way I'm just sitting there and can't do shit, meanwhile the driver in front probably thinks I'm the one blowing the horn like a maniac.

After the light changes and I turn, the lady behind me passes me and drives away at like 30km/h over the limit sooooo yep.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I got into this really awkward / embarrassing situation on the road this morning.

I'm stopped at a red light with the intent to turn right. There's a car in front of me who's going straight; he has no turn signal on. The lane was not just a right turn lane so this is fine. There's a car behind me also turning right, and she's obviously a psycho cause she starts honking her horn and does so continuously for like a minute. I'm not sure whether she thinks there's no car in front of me and I'm just not paying attention, or whether she doesn't realize the car in front of me wanted to go straight. Either way I'm just sitting there and can't do shit, meanwhile the driver in front probably thinks I'm the one blowing the horn like a maniac.

After the light changes and I turn, the lady behind me passes me and drives away at like 30km/h over the limit sooooo yep.

Gah, that would be aggravating!

You visibly shrug and follow it up with a middle finger if she doesn't stop.

I had someone expect me to pull up to a second gas pump that wasn't free when I pulled in. She just laid on the horn so when I was done I printed a receipt and stood there contemplating it for a few minutes and then went in and got a drink.

jesus

I just decided to look at the U18 USNTDP stats more closely

Eichel had 12 points in 12 games vs NCAA opponents
Matthews had 20 points in 13 games vs NCAA opponents

he had more goals than Eichel had points o_O
and had as many GWG as eichel had goals lol

NCAA would have basically been a junior league to him if he went

Ehh can't put too much stock into that. Most NCAA teams will rest their best players in those games. In the UND/USNTDP game I went to, UND rested their top 3 scorers, two of their top-4 D, and had their 3rd string goalie in. That's a pretty standard practice for NCAA teams in those games. And they still dominate most of the time.

Quick

Banned
Gonna post the World Cup thread soon.

Give me titles.

I was at a crossing, and there was a car coming out of the opposite street and we're both trying to get onto the main road in the same direction. The car across had stopped at the stop sign first, but couldn't turn immediately since there was a car on the opposite direction about to pass her, so I go first since my way was clear. There are a set of lights immediately ahead and I went to the turning lane and she pulls up beside me screaming her head off.

I basically just gave her this blank stare as she's going nuts and drove off when the light turned green.

zroid

Banned
Gonna post the World Cup thread soon.

Give me titles.

I was at a crossing, and there was a car coming out of the opposite street and we're both trying to get onto the main road in the same direction. The car across had stopped at the stop sign first, but couldn't turn immediately since there was a car on the opposite direction about to pass her, so I go first since my way was clear. There are a set of lights immediately ahead and I went to the turning lane and she pulls up beside me screaming her head off.

I basically just gave her this blank stare as she's going nuts and drove off when the light turned green.

Road rage is weird, man

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta be Fisher right?

That's what I was thinking, but a lot of folks really want Josi to get it. The fact that Fisher might be done after this season is something that Nashville could be thinking about too.

Honestly, nobody on the Preds roster really screams "leader" to me other than Fisher
and Subban

Yooooo J.T Brown with the fire

https://twitter.com/JTBrown23/status/773310843752706049

I'd love to see more guys come out like this against that prick

Guess I was late. Good. Call out Torts comments for the bullshit they are. Then again, I guess I'm not surprised, considering Torts is a dumbfuck on this subject, considering he's a relatively well-off white hockey coach from the Northeast.

Most NHL players probably agree with Torts straight up

Gee, I wonder why? Maybe it's because the NHL is a white as Wonder Bread league where nobody is willing to take a stand on fucking anything, lest they rock the boat?

Speaking of the World Cup. I went to Walmart today and they are selling World Cup Figures like this one:

carey-price-team-canada-2016-world-cup-of-hockey-6-figure-imports-dragon-25.jpg

Import Dragons made them, they also made other NHL figures, I have a Gallagher one from them.They were $19.96 each

The ones I saw they had were: Holtby,Price,Lundquist,Seguin,McDavid,Toews,Stamkos, Gaudreau, Halak, Crosby, Ghostbear, Markov and Ovi. They had a whole bunch.

Yawnier

Banned
Speaking of the World Cup. I went to Walmart today and they are selling World Cup Figures like this one:

carey-price-team-canada-2016-world-cup-of-hockey-6-figure-imports-dragon-25.jpg

Import Dragons made them, they also made other NHL figures, I have a Gallagher one from them.They were $19.96 each

The ones I saw they had were: Holtby,Price,Lundquist,Seguin,McDavid,Toews,Stamkos, Gaudreau, Halak, Crosby, Ghostbear, Markov and Ovi. They had a whole bunch.

No Matthews or Rielly? Mehhhhhh

Or get traded to Nashville

Exactly.

This league is one of the most sheltered league out there, and nearly 98% white.

Torts needs to realize that the entire issue of Kaep sitting down is bigger then he is. There's an entire fucking race of people who are marginalized and treated like shite, implicitly by the government. They are well within their right to sit down for an anthem that glorifies that marginalization, just as you are well within to stand for it.

Don't be surprised to have people criticize your opinion for the piece of shit that it is. Then again, Torts is like a little dictator in how he operates.

Foggy

Guess I was late. Good. Call out Torts comments for the bullshit they are. Then again, I guess I'm not surprised, considering Torts is a dumbfuck on this subject, considering he's a relatively well-off white hockey coach from the Northeast.

He's a parent of his son who's in the military right now. Most military parents I know are pretty fanatical about anything broaching the subject which is probably a defense mechanism more than anything. That probably informs it more than anything. But it's not like I'd be surprised if he said that regardless. Hell, I'm sure every coach across the country is saying stuff like this behind closed doors.

Good on JT Brown though. I doubt Seth Jones would say much even though I'd love him too. Dude's so non-confrontational he probably upgrades his combo meal to large every time he gets asked.

Socreges

Banned
Huh
How many teams can we really think of that have drastically changed to that degree though? A handful at most.
What degree of change is necessary here? Virtually every team has changed enough to impact where they'd fall in the standings and several have changed considerably.

It's like trying to predict tomorrow's weather while only looking at what month it is. Kinda pointless without accounting for other variables.

DopeyFish

He's a parent of his son who's in the military right now. Most military parents I know are pretty fanatical about anything broaching the subject which is probably a defense mechanism more than anything. That probably informs it more than anything. But it's not like I'd be surprised if he said that regardless. Hell, I'm sure every coach across the country is saying stuff like this behind closed doors.

Good on JT Brown though. I doubt Seth Jones would say much even though I'd love him too. Dude's so non-confrontational he probably upgrades his combo meal to large every time he gets asked.

No surprise. Then again, it's pretty certain most white Americans don't give a shit about anything involving black people until it's literally slapping them in the face. Even then I doubt it.

I really wish there was someone from the black diaspora in the NHL that would take a stand ala' Carmelo Anthony. This is an issue that affects them just as much, whether they are Canadian or American. I doubt it though, because they'll get blasted by the Canadian media that likes their good ol' boys plain and nonthreatening.

DopeyFish

“There’s a lot of characteristics when I talk about Auston in the locker room that I used with an individual last year in Edmonton,” said McLellan, clearly referencing Connor McDavid. “They’re different players, but the ‘wow’ factor, the maturity, the size and strength and poise with the puck, the ability to pick up concepts really quick and for me the lack of intimidation.

“He’s not intimidated by any of the players that are out there. The Leafs will have a very good player for many, many years.”

halp

Foggy

No surprise. Then again, it's pretty certain most white Americans don't give a shit about anything involving black people until it's literally slapping them in the face. Even then I doubt it.

I really wish there was someone from the black diaspora in the NHL that would take a stand ala' Carmelo Anthony. This is an issue that affects them just as much, whether they are Canadian or American. I doubt it though, because they'll get blasted by the Canadian media that likes their good ol' boys plain and nonthreatening.

Yeah all the talk about how the culture is different in the NHL and how it's a team sport and shit like that whenever the topic of athletes getting arrested for drugs or domestic violence or whatever the hell. It's ignorant and it comes from a pretty ugly place.

White people here don't like to think about it. Even the young people growing up just think of racism as "hatred" and as long as you don't act like the racist boogeymen then you're a good guy. It's why people get so damn defensive. They think they've done enough by just not hating someone for their race and don't want to spend another second thinking about it. At the very least, the scab is getting picked.

k2tTUKE.jpg

Top Bottom