• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT2| I Want off Marc Bergevin's Wild Ride.

zroid

Banned
I never really believe anyone tells these athletes this kind of stuff. I'm convinced all high-level athletes conjure up these villains so they can say stuff like "they never said I would make it, BUT I BELIEVED IN MYSELF AND WORKED HARD AND HERE I AM WOOOOOOOOOO!"

That's probably true :lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I never really believe anyone tells these athletes this kind of stuff. I'm convinced all high-level athletes conjure up these villains so they can say stuff like "they never said I would make it, BUT I BELIEVED IN MYSELF AND WORKED HARD AND HERE I AM WOOOOOOOOOO!"

marner was pretty small tho...

marner vs mcdavid as reference
marnermcdavid_zpsesknnbpa.jpg~original

calder

I agree, and there's a million examples.

Micheal Jordan famously imagining insults in order to jack himself up is probably the best example. In his prime, considered easily the best player in the world and one of the best ever, loved by basically everyone... oh shit that one rookie muttered some trash talk about me under his breath during a game (except he didn't)!!!! I WILL NEVER FORGIVE THIS INSULT (that my own teammates laughingly admit never happened)!

I agree, and there's a million examples.

Micheal Jordan famously imagining insults in order to jack himself up is probably the best example. In his prime, considered easily the best player in the world and one of the best ever, loved by basically everyone... oh shit that one rookie muttered some trash talk about me under his breath during a game (except he didn't)!!!! I WILL NEVER FORGIVE THIS INSULT (that my own teammates laughingly admit never happened)!

Then again MJ is an utter cunt of a human being, so I am not surprised.

Good athlete, absolutely shit at everything else.

Of course I feel that you should be dedicated to and feel for our national anthem. To be proud over your country is really important and the national anthem is a part of that.
It depends what you mean when you say sing along. Singing demands some form of talent but you can sing without making a sound. It's about dedication, to sing in your own way. But to force people to sing is close to fascism.
You have to feel for what you do, you can not pretend. What you feel for your country, and how you show it, must come from the inside. There can not be only one way to do it. To me that is a totalitarian system, that everyone does exactly the same in every moment.

"Forcing people (to sing the anthem) is on the brink of fascism" says Sweden's general manager Tommy Boustedt [Swedish Article]

Counterpoint to the Torts comments from yesterday.

The /r/hockey thread on this one has been fun, then again /r/hockey is just as terrible as all the other subreddits.

imBask

Banned
gotta target Marner because Matthews is protected, no matter where you hit him you end up bumping against that giant nose of his

Quick

Banned
"Forcing people (to sing the anthem) is on the brink of fascism" says Sweden's general manager Tommy Boustedt [Swedish Article]

Counterpoint to the Torts comments from yesterday.

The /r/hockey thread on this one has been fun, then again /r/hockey is just as terrible as all the other subreddits.

r/hockey isn't all that bad, though threads end up being circlejerks that make even Drake blush.

"As a Leafs fan, I hope Subban does well!"
"As a Habs fan, I hope Matthews turns out great!"
"As a Pens fan, I hope Philadelphia wins the Cup one day!"

I might just be used to salt, though.

I also use r/hockey for news.

Nice. Though I do hope they eventually work on authentic/close-to-authentic/at least better-looking individual generic arenas for the other leagues. It's probably all tied up to rights issues or something.

imBask

Banned
r/hockey isn't all that bad, though threads end up being circlejerks that make even Drake blush.

"As a Leafs fan, I hope Subban does well!"
"As a Habs fan, I hope Matthews turns out great!"
"As a Pens fan, I hope Philadelphia wins the Cup one day!"

I might just be used to salt, though.

I also use r/hockey for news.

Reddit is fundamentally broken and doesn't allow any controversial opinions (relative to the subreddit your in) to break through, so that's what happens

Quick

Banned
Reddit is fundamentally broken and doesn't allow any controversial opinions (relative to the subreddit your in) to break through, so that's what happens

Definitely. Now that I think about it, Reddit in general has kind of devolved into a circlejerk.

The general idea is to get upvoted, then everyone will latch onto that comment to be visible. And the best way to seemingly do that is to either agree or post memes on that comment chain.

Specific subreddits are still fairly good at avoiding this, like r/malefashionadvice (don't judge me) or r/DIY - both seem to upvote legitimate and/or useful comments.

I don't have an account, so I only really lurk.

Definitely. Now that I think about it, Reddit in general has kind of devolved into a circlejerk.

The general idea is to get upvoted, then everyone will latch onto that comment to be visible. And the best way to seemingly do that is to either agree or post memes on that comment chain.

It doesn't help that Reddit has become the one stop shop for young conservatives and alt-righters, and the admins are too chickenshit to stamp down upon it, so they give them ad-free servers to placate them.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

I won't say all of them faced it but it's out there man.

I'm no Harvey Globetrotter but back when I played basketball in high school I've had coaches say things like that to me.

I also had a few coaches who felt I could be really great too.

imBask

Banned
It doesn't help that Reddit has become the one stop shop for young conservatives and alt-righters, and the admins are too chickenshit to stamp down upon it, so they give them ad-free servers to placate them.

we already argued about that, it's not. Some subreddits are alt-right crazies and some subreddits are also alt-left crazies, and some are straight up nazis. That's how the website works

make an account and follow what YOU want to see in your circlejerk feed and you'll be fine

Quick

Banned

They probably see it as "there's nothing wrong about having subreddits for people with opposing/alternative views."

The problem though, is that gives people the excuse to basically let out their really shit opinions and they're protected in their own bubble. It's basically a bastardization of "free speech."

"Get all Muslims out of America!"
"But why, racistman4trump?"
"Because [shit opinion]"
"Oh boy, you can't be saying that!"
"Oh yes I can, those are my beliefs and I can say it because free speech!"
"Oh okay then."

I'm no Harvey Globetrotter but back when I played basketball in high school I've had coaches say things like that to me.

I've never had coaches outright tell me that I'm shit or anything, but I used to play soccer in a camp or league as a kid. While coaches were generally supportive, they never really gave me any serious critiques.

I don't know if that says anything about me not worth critiquing, or if the coaching staff were shit, but I probably could've used it then. Maybe I would've taken it more seriously. I don't play soccer anymore, though I've looked into getting back. Just need to get into better shape.

Quick

Banned
we already argued about that, it's not. Some subreddits are alt-right crazies and some subreddits are also alt-left crazies, and some are straight up nazis. That's how the website works

make an account and follow what YOU want to see in your circlejerk feed and you'll be fine

Also this. End of the day, visit the subreddits you want. Easiest solution.

I don't actively search for anything deeper than shit that would be useful for me and would make me laugh.

Yawnier

Banned

I've had an account on reddit for 4-5 years and I added a filter to any posts or content that are Donald Trump and Milo Yiannopoulos related so I don't see most of that stuff

Foggy

Damn, I don't even understand that. Even if it's negative motivation, there have to better ways. But I guess local coaches aren't always the sharpest. I wonder how many of these coaches practice their Babcock grimace.

Quick

Banned
I've been waiting on a second-gen Apple Watch. I've been thinking of getting one since it launched, but I wasn't going to buy a first gen Apple device.

imBask

Banned
Nintendo partnering with Apple a couple of years late after android took over is the most Nintendo move ever

also no headphones jack for the iphone 7 confirmed, officially killing the slight chance of me picking up an iPhone in january

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
My boss has an apple watch and everytime he uses it he looks like an idiot

Would not recommend

zroid

Banned
Why Your Team Sucks: Montréal Canadiens

Never forget:

Bill Simmons ✔ @BillSimmons
Just send the Stanley Cup to Montreal right now. No way this team is losing next spring, the season is over.
9:43 PM - 24 Oct 2015

For those keeping score, after their first nine games, the "2016 Stanley Cup contender' Montreal Canadiens went 29-38-6 (64 points). Comparatively, after their first nine games, the Leafs- a team that announced to the entire world its entire plan was to get the first overall pick- went 28-36-9 (65 points). Seriously; how bad of a team are you if your record is comparable to a team that was trying to suck?!

Of course, there's a simple excuse here: they didn't have Carey Price. Without their star goaltender, the team just wasn't good enough to compete. Yet people believe this is a Cup contender. If the line between "good team" and "draft lottery team" is one player, you are not actually a good team. You are an adequate team wholly dependent on your best player. Price won the Hart for a reason; he keeps this franchise from going into complete disarray. He's like the puppy people in a failing marriage buy because they think it'll keep them together.

I shouldn't be so harsh. Montreal isn't just one good player. As I recall, you have a pretty good defenseman, too. But more on him later.

Your Head Coach

Michel Therrien! The French's answer to Randy Carlyle! He has a career 375 wins in 756 games, but he gives his soundbites in French, which is really what this franchise values most. The Habs could fire him, the Habs should fire him, but deep down, you know he will just be replaced with someone worse. Can you name a great French coach that's currently available? Neither can I. Eventually, the Habs will find one, but boy will he be awful.

Cake Boss

Banned
For those keeping score, after their first nine games, the "2016 Stanley Cup contender' Montreal Canadiens went 29-38-6 (64 points). Comparatively, after their first nine games, the Leafs- a team that announced to the entire world its entire plan was to get the first overall pick- went 28-36-9 (65 points). Seriously; how bad of a team are you if your record is comparable to a team that was trying to suck?!

whoopi-dead-o.gif

ayyy I didn't even know about this stat lmao.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed with everything about why the team sucks, but the second half of the article is just a Leafs fan ejaculating all of his salt about the team onto his screen.

Can't wait to see it quoted a billion times over the season.

The fact that the Habs are used as a sticking point by Francophones who want to separate Quebec from Canada means that as long as the Habs believe that they should cater to the whims of those people, they won't be a good team.

Management should focus upon building a winner. But I sure don't see that from eye level.

Top Bottom