• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT2| I Want off Marc Bergevin's Wild Ride.

zroid

Banned
JX4sv0t.jpg

Looooooooooooooool
amazing

For real. The ninties were heady days. Apparently everyone was cool driving forty five minutes to see a hockey game.

What the hell are you even talking about?

Proposed new arena in Tempe will be just minutes away from the airport, downtown and Scottsdale, where all the money is. Right now, the rink is in the middle of the desert and near the burbs and the blue hairs. There's a f'ing outlet mall on the highway across the street.

Or are you going to pull a sirbats and say that it's only an inch away on google maps?

Calamari41

41 > 38

Proposed new arena in Tempe will be just minutes away from the airport, downtown and Scottsdale, where all the money is. Right now, the rink is in the middle of the desert and near the burbs and the blue hairs. There's a f'ing outlet mall on the highway across the street.

Or are you going to pull a sirbats and say that it's only an inch away on google maps?

Not to mention the fact that it will be adjacent to ASU and the biggest nightlife district in the city.

People who have never been to the Phoenix area really need to refrain from giving their opinions on this topic. It's like the difference between the Staples Center being in the Financial District vs Hesperia. Or the Pond being across the street from Disneyland vs Corona.

imBask

Banned

isn't that like the 15th time they move the team around inside a small radius? how about we expand that radius to, let's say, the moon

What do you expect? A bunch of northeasterners who spout their mouths on shit they don't know, shocking.

It's a losing fight, Queso.

Marvie_3

Banned

Proposed new arena
in Tempe will be just minutes away from the airport, downtown and Scottsdale, where all the money is. Right now, the rink is in the middle of the desert and near the burbs and the blue hairs. There's a f'ing outlet mall on the highway across the street.

RyzBNvX.gif

isn't that like the 15th time they move the team around inside a small radius? how about we expand that radius to, let's say, the moon

The original logo foretold the future!

images

Matthews didn't get any points yesterday , it's understandable.

You'd figure with Matthews being an AZ product, and his being in hockey primarily because the Coyotes were in Phoenix, that the Coyotes would get a little more tolerance 'round the GTA.

I was actually talking about how in the 90s it was all the rage to save money and build arenas outside of the cities they belonged to. Ottawa and Phoenix are prime examples. Ease up there astrocheese, I'd like nothing more than for Phoenix to survive and I hope this new move is good for them.

I also hope Ottawa moves downtown because an arena in Kanata is f'n ridiculous.

I was actually talking about how in the 90s it was all the rage to save money and build arenas outside of the cities they belonged to. Ottawa and Phoenix are prime examples. Ease up there astrocheese, I'd like nothing more than for Phoenix to survive and I hope this new move is good for them.

I also hope Ottawa moves downtown because an arena in Kanata is f'n ridiculous.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you're from Ottawa.

Sorry, thought you might have been from Toronto. You know how THEY get.

Come here, you! Give me a squeeze.

Turris is still a punk ass though.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you're from Ottawa.

Sorry, thought you might have been from Toronto. You know how THEY get.

Come here, you! Give me a squeeze.

Turris is still a punk ass though.

I'm actually from
second best
London, but I am a dirty Leafs fan. I think Arizona brings up a lot of mixed feelings for people for reasons that are entirely not Arizona's fault. I hear a lot that "Bettman didn't try to keep Canadian teams, but the league bought Arizona to keep it there", which is only sort of fair. Canadians hate Bettman and basically blame him exclusively for Winnipeg and Quebec leaving. I wasn't a hockey fan at the time so I'm not really as emotionally caught up in that as a lot of other people are.

Anyways, I don't wish losing a team on anyone. AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

He's a leafs fan you cow.

I do legit love the city of Ottawa though. For rivalry reasons I obviously have to say the Sens are shit.

I hear a lot that "Bettman didn't try to keep Canadian teams, but the league bought Arizona to keep it there", which is only sort of fair. Canadians hate Bettman and basically blame him exclusively for Winnipeg and Quebec leaving.

I totally get that, and it sucks. Glad Winnipeg got its team back. Quebec should have one too. Also feel bad for the Atlanta fans that went out to every game. Losing a team is awful.

Almost as bad as growing up a Kings fan.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I totally get that, and it sucks. Glad Winnipeg got its team back. Quebec should have one too. Also feel bad for the Atlanta fans that went out to every game. Losing a team is awful.

Almost as bad as growing up a Kings fan.

It's almost a mercy that they tend not to grow up past age 10. Always sad to see those little coffins, though. Heartbreaking.

I hear a lot that "Bettman didn't try to keep Canadian teams, but the league bought Arizona to keep it there"

Which is a completely asinine conspiracy theory cooked up by Canadians to circlejerk themselves into feeling better about the situation in Arizona.

Guess what? You are never going to get better margins if you continue to focus upon the Canadian and Northeastern and Midwestern US market. You need to take risks.

The Nordiques and original Jets left because the Canadian dollar was in the tank, and player salaries were rising. This affected every Canadian team in the 90's, even your beloved Sens changed owners before they even played a game. Hell, the Flames and Oilers were looking mighty close to moving too. Ultimately, while it's your prerogative to blame the big Bettman boogeyman for moving the original Jets and Nordiques, ultimately, it was a shitty dollar that did them in.

Edit: Realized you weren't a Sens fan, but the point still stands.

zroid

Banned
I do legit love the city of Ottawa though. For rivalry reasons I obviously have to say the Sens are shit.

Same. My uncle lived there for most of my life, so we used to make the road trip every year or two. But a few years ago he moved to New Jersey (I know, right?), so haven't been in a while.

Also I like the Sens and I don't care if that makes me a bad Leaf fan! I could never hate Norrisson's team! 😘

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Does anyone here actually pay for ESPN Insider?

It seems pretty worthless, aside from Pronman's rankings, which I don't care for anyways. I don't see what else they can post that they could actually charge for.

The Nordiques and original Jets left because the Canadian dollar was in the tank, and player salaries were rising. This affected every Canadian team in the 90's, even your beloved Sens changed owners before they even played a game. Hell, the Flames and Oilers were looking mighty close to moving too. Ultimately, while it's your prerogative to blame the big Bettman boogeyman for moving the original Jets and Nordiques, ultimately, it was a shitty dollar that did them in.

Didn't see your edit. I wasn't watching hockey when the Nordiques left, but I sure as hell was when the Battle of Ontario was a thing.

Again, edited to fix that mistake, but the point still stands. Nearly every Canadian team was in flux during the 90's and one of them had to go, at least, they weren't going to make the cut. If it wasn't the Nordiques or Jets, then it would have been the Oilers and / or Flames, or the stillborn Sens.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'll be real right now.

I am totally going to understand why everyone not a Leafs fan is going to hate Matthews.

I didn't watch any of the games yesterday and just caught the highlights. They actually had someone break down everything he did; positives and negatives.

A whole season of this? Yeah I can understand friends.

zroid

Banned
Does anyone here actually pay for ESPN Insider?

It seems pretty worthless, aside from Pronman's rankings, which I don't care for anyways. I don't see what else they can post that they could actually charge for.
I'm pretty sure they have some good content for other leagues too if you're into that

I'll be real right now.

I am totally going to understand why everyone not a Leafs fan is going to hate Matthews.

I didn't watch any of the games yesterday and just caught the highlights. They actually had someone break down everything he did; positives and negatives.

A whole season of this? Yeah I can understand friends.

It's going to be the worst (but actually the best)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm pretty sure they have some good content for other leagues too if you're into that
So it crosses all sports? That makes more sense, I just see some hockey writers link to their stuff on there and there's no way they're adding anything to their articles that isn't in a LeBrun / Friedman article.

Silexx

Same. My uncle lived there for most of my life, so we used to make the road trip every year or two. But a few years ago he moved to New Jersey (I know, right?), so haven't been in a while.

Also I like the Sens and I don't care if that makes me a bad Leaf fan! I could never hate Norrisson's team! 😘

Don't worry, Leafs-GAF, we good now that we put you over. We're feuding with the Habs now.

Ottawa's a cool city. I only lived there for a couple months, but the thing that stood out was it's so much more travel friendly. Dedicated bike lanes, separate bus roads, etc. I remember calling/texting in for bus stop updates...in 2008!. I think the TTC just realized people have cell phones.

Can't hate on the Yotes after Cosmic's story:'( At the very least. I'm too young to remember the actual move though.

zroid

Banned
Changes coming to the concussion protocol via Friedman

For the 2016-17 season, four independent trainers (called “Central Spotters”) will be monitoring all NHL games via television. If they see “visible signs” of a concussion, they will send word to the team that their affected player must be removed from the game.

According to one source, the league plans to release full details shortly before the start of the regular season. From what I understand, all four independent spotters have hockey backgrounds but none are currently affiliated with an NHL club.

There will still also be team-affiliated spotters in every building.

There is no question this move is in response to the fallout from the Dennis Wideman suspension. Wideman was punished for cross-checking linesman Don Henderson in January, less than 10 seconds after receiving a huge hit from Nashville’s Miikka Salomaki.

Top Bottom