• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT2| I Want off Marc Bergevin's Wild Ride.

yyzjohn

Banned
Despite all these claims of gaming the system, the Leafs aren't really doing that unless Lupul is placed on LTIR

if it's just regular IR, then they're not even helping themselves as much as they could. Sending him to the minors would be the best option.

Seems like either he's legit injured (eh...), or they're giving him a break by not forcing him to play in the minors against his will.

All Leafs haters are crying foul here but nobody can explain exactly what rule the Leafs are breaking? Should they be forced to play an injured guy? Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that Lupul is injury prone? He failed his damn physical last week.

Cake Boss

Banned
Seems like the team has created it's own cap world where they can just pay out people not to play for them instead of counting against the cap. Robidas, Lupul, Horton, Laich, Greening, Cowen etc.

Silexx

All Leafs haters are crying foul here but nobody can explain exactly what rule the Leafs are breaking? Should they be forced to play an injured guy? Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that Lupul is injury prone? He failed his damn physical last week.

I don't think they're outright breaking any rules here, but they are probably circumventing the spirit of the CBA and that's something that the league explicitly forbids.

zroid

Banned
Frankly it looks to me like Lou is doing Lupul a favour with this injury stuff so as to spare him the bus rides in the minors. Leafs are in a cap crunch, it would behoove them to get that extra $1M in relief.

It all seems to be within the rules. The 'problem' is that only a few teams in the league are rich enough to actually take on the contracts of injured, veteran players.

yyzjohn

Banned

You can't place players on LTIR until after training camp ends.

Players can not be placed on long-term injured reserve until after training camps have ended. That means that during the off-season, including training camp, players like Stephane Robidas have their full cap hit count towards the league's upper limit. They can only be placed on LTIR once the season has started (which is one reason teams often perform a lot of roster moves on paper in the final day or two of training camp).

Delryk

Lupul released a statement
with a gun pointed at his head, I'm sure

Cs98KdCWIAAPZxy.jpg

Instead of boning Reimers' wife, you should have been training then. You sick bastard!

Cake Boss

Banned
lol it seems like a nerve was hit on some of you with this issue.

oh well, back to smart management*.

* = Having an unlimited budget to bury shitty contracts.

imBask

Banned
How did the Habs get away with not playing Carey Price most of last season and thereby getting a top 10 pick? Fucking shenanigans!

horrible comparison and you know it. We have no reason to fake an injury on Price, you have a billion reasons to fake injuries on your idiotic contracts.

you deserve to relinquish Matthews you god damn cheaters. I bet you also think Brady and Belichick did "nothing wrong"

zroid

Banned
horrible comparison and you know it. We have no reason to fake an injury on Price, you have a billion reasons to fake injuries on your idiotic contracts.

you deserve to relinquish Matthews you god damn cheaters. I bet you also think Brady and Belichick did "nothing wrong"

Again, the Leafs would be better off sending their idiotic contracts to the minors than faking IR

I do think the injuries are questionable, but there's no basis for saying they're cheating the CBA. If they are, then they're doing it poorly.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Started a franchise in NHL 17 last night with the Coyotes, immediately moved them to Seattle (Seattle Storm, don't care about the WNBA). Had to sim through a full season before they let you move them, team finished like 24th in the league. However, I found it hilarious that near the trade deadline, the Wings traded Zetterberg and Kronwall to the Sens (loooool cakeboss) for a ton of picks, then Tatar to the Isles for a 1st rounder. I'll start my reign as Seattle GM tonight and bring the Cup back to the first ever Cup winner in NHL history!

Cake Boss

Banned
Started a franchise in NHL 17 last night with the Coyotes, immediately moved them to Seattle (Seattle Storm, don't care about the WNBA). Had to sim through a full season before they let you move them, team finished like 24th in the league. However, I found it hilarious that near the trade deadline, the Wings traded Zetterberg and Kronwall to the Sens (loooool cakeboss) for a ton of picks, then Tatar to the Isles for a 1st rounder. I'll start my reign as Seattle GM tonight and bring the Cup back to the first ever Cup winner in NHL history!

Terrible trade, like we need anymore #1 Centers.

imBask

Banned
Again, the Leafs would be better off sending their idiotic contracts to the minors than faking IR

I do think the injuries are questionable, but there's no basis for saying they're cheating the CBA. If they are, then they're doing it poorly.

if we we're doing the same scummy tactics as you instead of ruining our team the right way, you leafs fans would all stroking eachother in a circle right now

Wings have been offering me Zetterberg and Kronwall every 2 days for the first half of my season. They need to fix this shit lol

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Claude Julien feels he has what he needs among his D-men corps for success this year: "We plan to upgrade our D with our play on the ice."
Good one Claude

Although to be fair, he did do a good job with the tire fire he had for defense last season. Not sure how much mileage is left on Chara though.

yyzjohn

Banned

Anyone who has followed Lupul's storied career can't really claim fake injuries with this guy. You do realize he had surgery this year yeah? Same goes for Robidas and his reconstructed knee that made him unable to pivot left lol.

And Lou is voting for Trump

zroid

Banned

Marvie_3

Banned
Apparently the USA vs Canada game drew 766k viewers on ESPN. That's probably the peak of the tournament now that USA is out.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/09/21/tuesday-cable-ratings-september-20-2016/

Can't imagine ESPN and NHL being too stoked about those numbers. Seems like they were only up against re-runs and not much else.

E: a 3AM EST airing of NFL Primetime on ESPN drew 806k lol.
Good. Hopefully we dont have to deal with this waste of time in the future.

Seems like the team has created it's own cap world where they can just pay out people not to play for them instead of counting against the cap. Robidas, Lupul, Horton, Laich, Greening, Cowen etc.

You're right on this point with Lupul, Robidas and Cowan but to be clear Laich and Greening do actually play and I'm pretty sure Horton can like barely move because of his back.

I think Lupul will play this year eventually. The minimum number of games to expose him in the expansion draft.

Top Bottom