• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT2| I Want off Marc Bergevin's Wild Ride.

Those ratings actually don't seem that bad for a quickly assembled hockey tournament. Panic time if the ratings are like that in 2020 however.

iLLmAtlc

I doubt they're gonna scrap the idea altogether, I'm sure they're really pumped about keeping all that international money in house for a change. If they're gonna host it in the USA I'm sure it could still be similarly lucrative if they went through Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc.

Most likely it just means they'll go crawling back to NBC(SN).

zroid

Banned
The two main problems holding back this tourney from being successful in USA were:

1) USA Hockey completely fucked up their roster and the team has had nothing but negative buzz since the beginning

2) Team North America is by far the most appealing thing about the tournament, and nobody in charge really expected it to be that way. Team NA's games vs Russia and Sweden were two of the most entertaining hockey games ever played, but the team wasn't marketed well in the States, so nobody cared. They're pretty much the darlings of the tourney in Canada.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The two main problems holding back this tourney from being successful in USA were:

1) USA Hockey completely fucked up their roster and the team has had nothing but negative buzz since the beginning

2) Team North America is by far the most appealing thing about the tournament, and nobody in charge really expected it to be that way. Team NA's games vs Russia and Sweden were two of the most entertaining hockey games ever played, but the team wasn't marketed well in the States, so nobody cared. They're pretty much the darlings of the tourney in Canada.

The main problem was the fact that nobody anywhere even knew the thing was happening.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Those ratings actually don't seem that bad for a quickly assembled hockey tournament. Panic time if the ratings are like that in 2020 however.
I've had so many people ask me "what the fuck is Team Europe & Team North America?"

A lot of people who follow hockey casually are confused about the entire tournament.

iLLmAtlc

I think the primary problem in the USA is nobody can be arsed to watch teams besides their own. There's clearly a ton of interest in many areas like the northeast, but even Tampa drew monster local ratings for the SCF a couple years ago.

You'd think they solve that problem by calling it Team USA, but *shrug*. Maybe it was way too gimmicky for anyone to consider it actually an international tournament.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
weird how crazy leafs fans who won't admit their team is doing dirty shit can turn this place upside down

But Lupul could breathe deeply and crack a rib. He's ridiculously injury prone.

I don't know much about how injuries and the cap work so I can't really comment on that. But I believe that Lupul is injured considering his history.

zroid

Banned
I think the primary problem in the USA is nobody can be arsed to watch teams besides their own. There's clearly a ton of interest in many areas like the northeast, but even Tampa drew monster local ratings for the SCF a couple years ago.

You'd think they solve that problem by calling it Team USA, but *shrug*. Maybe it was way too gimmicky for anyone to consider it actually an international tournament.

"Team America" lol

yyzjohn

Banned
But Lupul could breathe deeply and crack a rib. He's ridiculously injury prone.

I don't know much about how injuries and the cap work so I can't really comment on that. But I believe that Lupul is injured considering his history.

The whole narrative of "dirty shit" is laughable too considering there are players involved here too. As if an able-bodied player will just voluntarily sit out when he really wants to play. If the player has an issue with it he could take up a case with the NHLPA and complain that the Leafs are forcing him to sit out.

Then Cowen is also somehow thrown into the same boat. The Leafs tried to buy him out, but he's saying he's injured and can't be bought out, so it's the exact opposite of Lupul and Robidas, he wants to be injured but the Leafs are saying he was healthy.

iLLmAtlc

DID YOU KNOW, that if youpaste text from a PDF into the firefox search bar, and copy that, it'll remove the line breaks and formatting you so you can put it right into word? >_>

Apparently the USA vs Canada game drew 766k viewers on ESPN. That's probably the peak of the tournament now that USA is out.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/09/21/tuesday-cable-ratings-september-20-2016/

Can't imagine ESPN and NHL being too stoked about those numbers. Seems like they were only up against re-runs and not much else.

E: a 3AM EST airing of NFL Primetime on ESPN drew 806k lol.

When you're being outviewed by a NFL Primetime in the middle of the night... not a good look.

Cake Boss

Banned
Lol even the TSN 1050 guys are questioning the Leafs Loophole that they created.

Great quote from Hayes.

" It seems like the players that the team doesn't want around seem to be all injured"

🤔🤔🤔

zroid

Banned
Lol even the TSN 1050 guys are questioning the Leafs Loophole that they created.

Great quote from Hayes.

" It seems like the players that the team doesn't want around seem to be all injured"

🤔🤔🤔

I was listening to somebody on SN590 say the same thing earlier. These guys are so ignorant, nobody understands how IR, LTIR, or the salary cap works. 😒

zroid

Banned
Sure thing boss.

Can't wait for Bozak get "injured" and never be seen again and placed 'LTIR'

Ok let me explain it as succinctly as I can:

1) last year the only Leaf placed on LTIR was Horton -- Robidas was on regular IR which does not give you any cap relief

2) LTIR does not actually free up cap space, it just lets you go over the cap under extenuating circumstances

3) The Leafs do not benefit from placing anyone but Horton on LTIR because they aren't over the cap by more than a couple million $ including his cap hit.

4) The Leafs DO have a problem with performance bonuses. You're allowed a certain cushion for exceeding the cap with potential bonuses; currently they're close to it I think. LTIR has no impact on this bonus cushion. Given their cap situation, they are probably going to face cap penalties in 2017-18 due to these performance bonuses. It probably won't be a big problem though since they should have a bunch of cap space freed up next summer.

iLLmAtlc

I don't think the NHL is THAT corrupt. If the leafs were making up bullshit it'd be so easy for the NHL order independent tests.

Lupul gets hurt all the time, it's not that hard to imagine it happening again.

But I think people saying "this isn't even LTIR" are mistaken. That doesn't start till the season opens, so if Lupul is hurt then he'll be going on that 100% guaranteed.

zroid

Banned
I don't think the NHL is THAT corrupt. If the leafs were making up bullshit it'd be so easy for the NHL order independent tests.

Lupul gets hurt all the time, it's not that hard to imagine it happening again.

But I think people saying "this isn't even LTIR" are mistaken. That doesn't start till the season opens, so if Lupul is hurt then he'll be going on that 100% guaranteed.

Well it's like I said, Robidas was never placed on LTIR, so there's no reason to expect Lupul will be. Also, placing either of them on LTIR does not actually help the Leafs in any way. Horton's LTIR bonus cushion is enough.

zroid

Banned
I checked CapFriendly and did the math:

Salary cap = $73,000,000
Leafs cap hit = $73,827,000

Leafs will get room for their $827,000 overage by placing Horton ($5,300,000) on LTIR

Performance bonus ceiling = $73,000,000 + 7.5% = $78,475,000
Leafs potential performance bonuses = $3,700,000
Leafs cap hit + perf bonus = $77,527,000

So they should have a little less than $1M clearance under the performance bonus ceiling

zroid

Banned
Welp, the dream is dead for Team North America, but Matthews and Rielly will get to join training camp so that's nice I guess

Line_HTX

Well, that was fun while it lasted. I enjoyed the flashy graphics ESPN did, and having Hull / Chelios in studio was alright.

20 more days, I take it? It's like they're starting immediately after baseball ends.

Marvie_3

Banned
Well, that was fun while it lasted. I enjoyed the flashy graphics ESPN did, and having Hull / Chelios in studio was alright.

20 more days, I take it? It's like they're starting immediately after baseball ends.
Baseball never ends. Once MLB season is over its on to Australian baseball!

The WCoH is during a poor time, but I can't think of a better one when the NHL runs October to June. September is the start of school with people coming back from vacation; does anyone really want to watch hockey? It's competing against the NFL and season premieres of TV shows, too.

With teams NA and Europe, it's confusing for an international tournament (I remember this thread laughing at the announcement). There's no qualifying and I didn't see a lot of advertising for this.

It's also a questionable name because people associate the "World Cup" with soccer. Traditions are one thing, but there's little brand recognition.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
lol wait our training camp roster is 79 players? jesus fuck

we can almost do 2 split squad games at the same time

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
from what i've heard they're all getting signed and 56 of them are going to be "injured" for the rest of the season

I don't doubt it

Our practice facility is probably a hospital

people probably come rushing into the ER and there's someone standing there... leg fallen off or some shit and he's all like "congratulations, you're an honorary maple leaf"

but what about the leg you prick

Top Bottom