• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT2| I Want off Marc Bergevin's Wild Ride.

zroid

Banned
Jim Rutherford wrote a players' tribune article o_O

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/jim-rutherford-what-you-dont-know-about-being-a-gm/

the story about Trevor Daley and his mom ;_____;

When we lost to the Rangers in the first round of the 2015 playoffs, I realized that we had to get faster in order to compete for the Cup. New York had this fiery little Swedish guy who had given us fits in that series by the name of Carl Hagelin. He was constantly disorienting our defensemen with his speed on the forecheck. I filed that one away in my box.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure how Pirri missed that.

Preseason for the refs, too. C'mon, man, that's obvious.

JT has not had a good preseason so far. Hopefully he settles in by the time the season starts.

zroid

Banned
In July, when it became clear that we had a shot at bringing in Phil Kessel, we had to make a big decision. Acquiring Kessel would cost us not only young talent and draft picks, but it would also come with a significant salary-cap hit. There’s always a cost. In this case, we had to be sure that Phil would fit into our room, and into our system.

In times like that, you have to rely on your box. Inside your box is all the stuff you can’t look up on the Internet. During your travels in this game, from city to city, hotel to hotel, you talk to a lot of people. You hear things. You learn all kinds of things about players. And you file it all away in your box. Over my 30 years as a GM, my box has gotten pretty full.

It was always my understanding from my intel around the league that Phil was a good guy. If I have one defining management philosophy, it’s that I really believe in second chances. If a player is a good guy, and he’s got talent, and you give him a second chance, he’ll give you everything he’s got.

The Kessel decision ultimately came down to a simple fact about the NHL that never seems to change: It’s hard to score goals in this league. It’s just hard. But Phil was a guy who had scored them year after year. He had been in a fishbowl in Toronto and he still scored 30 every year. I felt if we gave him a second chance, he’d really thrive in Pittsburgh.

So Phil came into our locker room that fall and, after watching him for a few weeks, I filed a new note into my box:

Phil Kessel isn’t a good guy, after all. He’s a great guy.

Quick

Banned

kKZHndN.gif

Cake Boss

Banned
Yo this is the first time finally seeing the difference with the Boucher system, and shit is hot. Pressure from everywhere, aggressive as fuck and shooting from everywhere.

And who the fuck is Phil Varone and why is he wearing 81 and why is he a chubby looking guy that can skate?

yyzjohn

Banned
Uh it looks like Matthews/Marner and Nylander are all playing again tomorrow

So I'll probably watch that over the Jays game

You can't be cereal man. Leafs are preseason and Jays one game they're in or out. Plenty of time to watch the Leafs.

calder

Kichton lucky he didn't connect on that charge, he instinctively threw his elbow up high while mostly missing chabot. Could have been ugly

Stasis

Our first time going to OT this year. Fun.

That was a blast!

Welp, we did well to come back in the game all things considered. Glad Vesey is OK (and scored!) and Skapski bounced back from being thrown in on that fake 5-3.

Not bad for another game where we're still (for some reason...) playing a bunch of surefire cuts and nothing resembling our real roster when compared to the opposition. Hopefully the next two will be very close to the real deal.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I think at this point Vesey, Buchnevich, and Pirri have all made the team, it's just a matter of what the configuration is (if anybody from this group is the odd man out, it's Buch, but they have to be sure he doesn't bolt right back to Russia if that's the case as he does have an out clause in his contract). The big question is what the hell does the 4th line look like. I don't think Grabner or Gerbe have really gone out and locked down roles there, and Jooris has been injured since about 2 minutes into game 1. Oscar Lindberg will probably be in as soon as he returns from injury since no better options have stepped up yet. Do they end up just running 4 skill lines? Or are Tanner Glass and Maxim Lapierre really going to make this team?

I'm guessing the defense now looks like something along the lines of:

McDonagh-Clendening
Staal-Klein
Holden-Girardi
McIlrath

If AV's comments over the last couple days are anything to go by, I think Skjei may be the odd man out. He's also still waiver-exempt, so that might play a role.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
And as I was typing all that, the Rangers made more cuts. Bunch of guys headed back to the Wolf Pack. No real surprises, and nobody who played tonight.

The Rangers still have a whopping 39 players remaining in training camp, including 23 forwards, with only 2 preseason games remaining.

Remaining Rangers:
Pavel Buchnevich, Jesper Fast, Gabriel Fontaine (who?), Nathan Gerbe, Tanner Glass, Michael Grabner, Kevin Hayes, Marek Hrivik, Nicklas Jensen, Josh Jooris (injured), Robin Kovacs, Chris Kreider, Maxim Lapierre, Oscar Lindberg (injured), JT Miller, Rick Nash, Boo Nieves (injured), Brandon Pirri, Derek Stepan, Malte Stromwall, Jimmy Vesey, Mika Zibanejad, Mats Zuccarello

Mat Bodie, Adam Clendening, John Gilmour, Dan Girardi, Ryan Graves, Nick Holden, Kevin Klein, Ryan McDonagh, Dylan McIlrath, Brady Skjei, Marc Staal, Chris Summers

Magnus Hellberg, Henrik Lundqvist, Antti Raanta, Mackenzie Skapski

zroid

Banned
And as I was typing all that, the Rangers made more cuts. Bunch of guys headed back to the Wolf Pack. No real surprises, and nobody who played tonight.

The Rangers still have a whopping 39 players remaining in training camp, including 23 forwards, with only 2 preseason games remaining.

Remaining Rangers:
Pavel Buchnevich, Jesper Fast, Gabriel Fontaine (who?), Nathan Gerbe, Tanner Glass, Michael Grabner, Kevin Hayes, Marek Hrivik, Nicklas Jensen, Josh Jooris (injured), Robin Kovacs, Chris Kreider, Maxim Lapierre, Oscar Lindberg (injured), JT Miller, Rick Nash, Boo Nieves (injured), Brandon Pirri, Derek Stepan, Malte Stromwall, Jimmy Vesey, Mika Zibanejad, Mats Zuccarello

Mat Bodie, Adam Clendening, John Gilmour, Dan Girardi, Ryan Graves, Nick Holden, Kevin Klein, Ryan McDonagh, Dylan McIlrath, Brady Skjei, Marc Staal, Chris Summers

Magnus Hellberg, Henrik Lundqvist, Antti Raanta, Mackenzie Skapski

only 39? pfft

Cake Boss

Banned
Boucher specialty is to put people to sleep, which is why he's a perfect fit for the city of Ottawa

Bitch please, coming from a fan of a team that employs Therrien,cant score for shit and just traded it's most exciting player for a cow fucker that has a personality of a mustard can.

calder

Watch Westworld bros

I expected to like it based in the subject matter (a gorgeous, bloody western and a prestige sci-fi show with HBO budget??) but that pilot exceeded my expectations. So many cool questions raised and fascinating potential storylines teased, really hope they can follow up as strongly as it starts.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I have it on in the background while I study. Another season of mediocrity awaits. I wouldn't even mind losing if we weren't so boring to watch.

Top Bottom