• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2016 |OT2| I Want off Marc Bergevin's Wild Ride.

zroid

Banned
Go to Best Buy and get one or two of these.

Get free tickets to Suicide Squad. Expand your blu ray collection. You're all set.

Apparently bestbuy.ca has Dark Knight Rises for $8 and includes a $8 coupon for a Suicide Squad ticket

Not really a big fan of DKR but I have the other two in the trilogy so may as well complete it if I'm getting all my money back anyways

Quick

Banned
I have a free movie from my Scene card. I'll probably use that for Suicide Squad. IMAX is tempting though.

It also doesn't help that especially in DC review threads, often you can have rows of dumb posts going "LOL!" at a childish GIF of Chris Evans laughing.

In the SS thread alone I counted eleven posts of this. IN A ROW.

Those Chris Evans laughing gifs are fantastic though.

I post a lot on Marvel threads, so I guess I'm tied up with them. Some of them need to relax, but overall, it's not too crazy. It's usually when review threads come up for each one that things get stupid.

zroid

Banned
Saw this in the Pokémon Go OT

7qFwZQg.jpg

ayy lmao

Those Chris Evans laughing gifs are fantastic though.

I post a lot on Marvel threads, so I guess I'm tied up with them. Some of them need to relax, but overall, it's not too crazy. It's usually when review threads come up for each one that things get stupid.

In a technical aspect, yeah they are. But it doesn't help the stigma that often times it is Marvel fanboys dancing on the grave of DC fans and mocking them.

I really just wish the mods would crack down on the type of threads Foggy described. They really just turn into juvenile crow eating contests.

Quick

Banned
In a technical aspect, yeah they are. But it doesn't help the stigma that often times it is Marvel fanboys dancing on the grave of DC fans and mocking them.

I really just wish the mods would crack down on the type of threads Foggy described. They really just turn into juvenile crow eating contests.

Speaking of crow-eating, I still remember this thread someone made that basically collected every negative post when Guardians of the Galaxy was announced that stretched back to like a year before the movie came out.

Now that's crazy shit.

Holiday

Banned
GAF has an intense infatuation with the meta-spectacles like movie review threads, game review threads, and E3 "who won" threads. It's the height of absurdity.

All the movie communities I'm a part of never have review threads for critics. They just see the movie and discuss their personal response. Go figure. It's so bizarre to me how people can just gobble up critical reception as gospel.
Agreed.

And as strange as this is, perhaps even stranger to me is the box office cheering.

Speaking of crow-eating, I still remember this thread someone made that basically collected every negative post when Guardians of the Galaxy was announced that stretched back to like a year before the movie came out.

Now that's crazy shit.

Fucking pathetic is what it is.

OVER A GODDAMN MOVIE.

I still like the Marvel movies. Brings me back to the days of collecting comics during the Golden Age.

I do too to an extent.

But at some point, everybody that is chasing the MCU sort of ideals, hoping that their next Cinematic Universe is going to catch fire is going to cause the bottom to fall out of the entire genre. Especially with one side has produced stinker after stinker.

Line_HTX

Y'know... EVEN IF it ends up with horrific reviews and does worse than BvS, Suicide Squad is still going to run away with huge bank anyway.

It's the stupid Michael Bay syndrome.

No kidding. It's like everybody forgot the main golden rule of "Don't judge something until you've encountered it for yourself".

I swear in the late 90s we used to tell reviewers to shove it up their popsticle sticks and just judge by what our friends said.

It also doesn't help that especially in DC review threads, often you can have rows of dumb posts going "LOL!" at a childish GIF of Chris Evans laughing.

In the SS thread alone I counted eleven posts of this. IN A ROW.

Ahh this is good. Yes. 11 posts in a row quoting the same GIF and their satisfied reaction. This is the good shit, on line, here on this here forum. Great content.

Fucking pathetic is what it is.

OVER A GODDAMN MOVIE.

Why do people want to shit on things people like so much? Who hurt them?

Y'know... EVEN IF it ends up with horrific reviews and does worse than BvS, Suicide Squad is still going to run away with huge bank anyway.

It's the stupid Michael Bay syndrome.

How much is DC expecting Suicide Squad to make? Because they were expecting BvS to sell like gangbusters and it barely made even.

No kidding. It's like everybody forgot the main golden rule of "Don't judge something until you've encountered it for yourself".

I swear in the late 90s we used to tell reviewers to shove it up their popsticle sticks and just judge by what our friends said.

Ahh this is good. Yes. 11 posts in a row quoting the same GIF and their satisfied reaction. This is the good shit, on line, here on this here forum. Great content.

Why do people want to shit on things people like so much? Who hurt them?

On the first part: I generally use reviewers as a baseline. It really helps.

On the last bit: probably because they want them to eat crow so badly. Or because the Marvel vs. DC wars are stupid and you NEED TO TAKE A SIDE or some dumb shit like that.

Line_HTX

How much is DC expecting Suicide Squad to make? Because they were expecting BvS to sell like gangbusters and it barely made even.

I dunno. I was thinking along the lines of all the other people that don't care for reviews. It's why I'm always baffled at how TMNT and Transformers got away with it.

I'm not sure if you noticed, but we are all nerds on a video game forum.

Conflict is our lives.

something something First Year Psychology Student "we're angry at everything because we're internally angry at ourselves"

I dunno. I was thinking along the lines of all the other people that don't care for reviews. It's why I'm always baffled at how TMNT and Transformers got away with it.

And the Scooby Doo movie reviews would've got away with it, if it wasn't for you meddling kids!

Probably because by this point, people know that Michael Bay is more or less directing spectacles, not character dramas. So people go just to be satisfied with explosions and action. (Which makes savoring his more personal projects like Pain and Gain better)

When it comes to DC, they expect the stars. And so far, DC hasn't delivered jack shit.

Foggy

Console wars, Marvel vs DC... Christ... Who feeds on conflict, and associated energy, so much that they need to fill every facet of their lives with it...

It's crazy. I got more than enough bullshit in my life. The idea of inserting drama into my hobby? My periodic release from the bullshit? Oof. Trifling weirdos.

It's crazy. I got more than enough bullshit in my life. The idea of inserting drama into my hobby? My periodic release from the bullshit? Oof. Trifling weirdos.

Hmmm, I wonder why that is...

Computer, zoom and enhance.

I got more than enough bullshit in my life.

Enhance 224 to 176...

I got ... life

Center and pull back. Enhance.

Got Life

Stop.

Computer, gimme a hard copy right there.

Foggy

Then again, look at me. I'm arguing half the time lol.

Haha true. My smug sense of superiority only goes so far. But there is a point where you reflect and it dawns on you that you just got into a protracted argument with what could very well be a 14 year old kid hopped up on Red Bull. At that point, a reevaluation of priorities is in order.

Haha true. My smug sense of superiority only goes so far. But there is a point where you reflect and it dawns on you that you just got into a protracted argument with what could very well be a 14 year old kid hopped up on Red Bull. At that point, a reevaluation of priorities is in order.

Most of the time my arguments are boiling down to social justice topics so often times i'm dealing with alt-right fucktards.

14 year old alt-right 4channer gettin' ya down?

ya just give 'em one of theeeeese

6qrnyvN.png

Decided to play the NHL 17 beta because I'm feeling better.

Unreal what this guy I'm going against in HUT has on his team. Backstrom, Burns, Niskanen, Okposo, Alzner, Marchand, Zetterberg, Halak, Dumba, and the rest are at least decent NHLers.

Meanwhile I have Howard or Pavalec in net, then Damon Severson, Eric Staal, Sam Bennett, and Marco Scandella. The rest are borderline AHL players.

99% certain you can't buy anything with real money on the beta but this guy, whose voice I heard at one point and he has to be somewhere between 8-12, is making me think otherwise. Unreal lineup there.

Beat his ass 5-2, if anyone cares. He had one really nice goal but the other was straight garbage. All five of mine were dirty trash goals that would make xenophobic Don Cherry proud.

EDIT: Next game Kopitar, Kessel, Kieth, Skinner, Dubban, McDavid, Letang, Vorachek, Byfuglien, Hedman, what the fuck

Clearly I need to play more and get the guaranteed stars everybody else has. Jesus.

Foggy

On the sunnier side of things, Last Chance U on Netflix is really good so far. College football doc about a JUCO football program consisting of NCAA washouts and other players trying to get recruited back to the NCAA programs. Good stuff.

Marvie_3

Banned
I still like the Marvel movies. Brings me back to the days of collecting comics during the Golden Age.
Im surprised you still remember the 1940s.

Console wars, Marvel vs DC... Christ... Who feeds on conflict, and associated energy, so much that they need to fill every facet of their lives with it...

They're BACK
This shit will never end either. Its pathetic.

Unreal what this guy I'm going against in HUT has on his team. Backstrom, Burns, Niskanen, Okposo, Alzner, Marchand, Zetterberg, Halak, Dumba, and the rest are at least decent NHLers.

Meanwhile I have Howard or Pavalec in net, then Damon Severson, Eric Staal, Sam Bennett, and Marco Scandella. The rest are borderline AHL players.

99% certain you can't buy anything with real money on the beta but this guy, whose voice I heard at one point and he has to be somewhere between 8-12, is making me think otherwise. Unreal lineup there.

Beat his ass 5-2, if anyone cares. He had one really nice goal but the other was straight garbage. All five of mine were dirty trash goals that would make xenophobic Don Cherry proud.

EDIT: Next game Kopitar, Kessel, Kieth, Skinner, Dubban, McDavid, Letang, Vorachek, what the fuck
Ive just been playing drop in games in the beta. Its seems to play a lot better. Most of the people playing are still idiots but it seems a lot of the cheese tactics are gone.

Oe guy was saying the goalie controls are a lot better but ive been too scarred from previous years to try it again.

Ive just been playing drop in games in the beta. Its seems to play a lot better. Most of the people playing are still idiots but it seems a lot of the cheese tactics are gone.

Oe guy was saying the goalie controls are a lot better but ive been too scarred from previous years to try it again.

EASHL is a blast for sure. It's better than it's ever been I think. I just wanted to try HUT and going against two all star teams in a row was just dumb as hell.

The second team ended up going up 7-1 two minutes into the second period against me before I quit. They had 11 shots total. It was stupid. So stupid.

iLLmAtlc

Yeah the eashl is good, very little cheesing for now. Won't take long before the nerds figure it out tho I think.

I have some trouble completing passes sometimes, seems like that's a lil different from previous years. Like it's harder if you're not facing or if you're doing backhand, which makes sense.

And it's really hard to pick up loose pucks.

But yeah drop in is a total crap shoot, more than previous years because if you have a bad team it's a lot harder to dominate the game yourself given the preset builds.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
You can't get AHL players (well not officially) in HUT in the Beta. You can only view NHL teams and National Teams (which just have logos and jerseys).

There's still a lot for them to fix in the UI front end side. Weber is still the Preds main player pic when you go to the Preds HUT collection for instance.

Regarding DC/Suicide Squad, it's depressing. I enjoyed Man of Steel and Batman v Superman a decent amount, and I'm sure I will like SS, but when I look at what Marvel is doing I can't help but feel a bit let down by DC.

Not from some dumb silly fanboy standpoint, but from the idea that DC has just as many amazing characters that could absolutely be fantastic on the big screen. But they keep putzing along and just putting our mediocre movies that just kill any momentum they make.

EDIT: Opened my first HUT pack on the beta. Got Larkin, Rakell, Marleau, and Elliott. Dumping Marleau on the market because eff that guy. Decent enough pack otherwise though.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

EDIT: Next game Kopitar, Kessel, Kieth, Skinner, Dubban, McDavid, Letang, Vorachek, Byfuglien, Hedman, what the fuck

Clearly I need to play more and get the guaranteed stars everybody else has. Jesus.

to be fair, in the beta it's play 1 game - get 1 pack. Earning is SO accelerated, so you don't have to play that much to get such a lineup.

NHL17 is pretty much the same as NHL16, only with some superficial improvements.

- Puck feels a lot more bouncy, ESPECIALLY in front of the goal / less glued to the stick.
- Increased net-presence battles leading to a seeming increase in deflected goals from the blue line
- Tons of customization options which is great and should add some nice progression/achievements to EASHL.

Otherwise, pretty much the same thing.

iLLmAtlc

Oh that's another thing, how the f does the net battle work? Seems like a lot of the times I hold triangle and nothing happens

Oof those Suicide Squad reviews. In more positive DC news, episode 1 of the Batman Telltale game came out today. Haven't played a Telltale game since Walking Dead season 1, hope this is decent.

PS can anyone in the NHL 17 beta share impressions of how the moment to moment game feels in general? An improvement over 16 or basically the same?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Oh that's another thing, how the f does the net battle work? Seems like a lot of the times I hold triangle and nothing happens

you push them out of the way. or get pushed. you don't want to initiate a net battle when you're on the attack, you want to tie them up when you're on defense

Oof those Suicide Squad reviews. In more positive DC news, episode 1 of the Batman Telltale game came out today. Haven't played a Telltale game since Walking Dead season 1, hope this is decent.

PS can anyone in the NHL 17 beta share impressions of how the moment to moment game feels in general? An improvement over 16 or basically the same?

basically the same in terms of general gameplay, the only differences I've noticed I posted above

Samyy

It's official now, McCrimmon's going to Vegas

Smart move for him to pass on the Leafs offer, was kind of afraid Vegas might target Mark Hunter because its been speculated he wants to be GM, therefore a Assistant GM position would probably be enticing.

Top Bottom