• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Cake Boss

Banned
Most of the time the cinematic games don't even have good writing. Then you have Wolfenstein that is going for campy 90s action hero with one liners and it ends up having some of the best writing.

That's what confuses me the most, video game writing and story telling was always terrible, now it looks like every studio is doubling down on it.

That's what confuses me the most, video game writing and story telling was always terrible, now it looks like every studio is doubling down on it.
Blame Naughty Dog. Everyone wants to force the same type of shit because it looks pretty. God of War is something we've barely seen any actual gameplay of. God of Fucking War has become one of those games.

PillarEN

Blame Europe. I think it was Glixel podcast (maybe their pre E3 show or possibly the one where they discuss EA) where John was explaining that a Sony person told him God of War never did the numbers Sony wanted in Europe. And apparently people in Europe lap up cinematic games and less so beat em ups ala old school God of War. So to get that sweet sweet market audience money they are going for a worldwide approach to all their games. The new God of War is based on that. Cynical if you ask me going for the "one size fits all" mentality. It's a business I get it. Still, I wouldn't mind if a stronger personal touch was allowed instead of chasing audiences specifically. Like no doubt the team behind the new GoW wants to make an awesome game. It's just less likely to be an auteur type of experience and more of a market driven experience.

Blame Naughty Dog. Everyone wants to force the same type of shit because it looks pretty. God of War is something we've barely seen any actual gameplay of. God of Fucking War has become one of those games.

pressing square 6000 times (and maybe a triangle here or there) isn't much better

God of War 2 still is a really great game, and I say that as someone who holds Ninja Gaiden Black up on the highest pedestal. The first two God of War games have deeper combat mechanics if you actually look for them, but you won't get an argument out of me regarding the third one. At the time I didn't have a huge problem with it because I figured they were wrapping the franchise up.. lo and behold, they just want to make a God of War movie and call it a game now.

Cake Boss

Banned
Imagine this industry bringing back Ninja Gaiden, QTE finishes, slow walking Ryu in corridors so you can observe the amazing "environment", Ryu making snarky comments and right after each kill he makes an edgy "funny" one liner, and with 1 button hand holding baby platforming mechanics so you can observe the amazing graphics.

Pre order today at Amazon for an exclusive in game ninja outfit designed by a famous Youtuber!

Imagine this industry bringing back Ninja Gaiden, QTE finishes, slow walking Ryu in corridors so you can observe the amazing "environment", Ryu making snarky comments and right after each kill he makes an edgy "funny" one liner, and with 1 button hand holding baby platforming mechanics so you can observe the amazing graphics.

You've just created a new nightmare for me so thanks for that

PillarEN

Pre order today for an exclusive Amazon ninja outfit designed by a famous Youtuber!

Oh my god, this. What is up with all these games having to have a "funny man" who is based in some ancient world but making jokes and acting like a dorky person from 2017 who's like the main person's underling groveling at their feet? In God of War everybody is tonally present and then there is some dude who shows up and tells Kratos in a completely out of 2017 comedy movie way something like "wow and you totally threw that guy a 100 feet and oh man what trip eh". What?

Marvie_3

Banned

Pre order today at Amazon for an exclusive in game ninja outfit designed by a famous Youtuber!
Oh fuck you, cake. 😭😭😭😭

zroid

Banned
Vegas not high on Vegas

DCIg81uXgAAwWXD.jpg

if I were into gambling i might put some money on the canes

PillarEN

Well that looks unexpected and awesome.

The trailer music is also a misrepresentation (chalk it up to Ubi being Ubi). The game will have awesome music by Grant Kirkhope who is a Rare legend. He's not just a man who should be known for his N64 contributions. His Viva Pinata stuff was excellent as well.

Weevilone

The best part about Sony's conference was when they didn't announce a mid-life console upgrade for $500USD with only Forza 7 and Crackdown 3 to drive it's sales while also cannibalizing it's own best interests by making any interesting game they have available on PC anyway.

Nope, they had already covered that ground with a lower priced, lower powered mid-life crisis last fall, minus the PC part.

Alucard

Banned
The trailer music is also a misrepresentation (chalk it up to Ubi being Ubi). The game will have awesome music by Grant Kirkhope who is a Rare legend. He's not just a man who should be known for his N64 contributions. His Viva Pinata stuff was excellent as well.

Nice. What else should I watch from E3? I dig RPGs, adventure games, and whatever else looks interesting.

Holiday

Banned
Don't worry, Kojima will save the medium yet again with his next masterpiece. He definitely won't indulge all his excesses to a point beyond self-parody. Definitely not.

Yawnier

Banned
Don't worry, Kojima will save the medium yet again with his next masterpiece. He definitely won't indulge all his excesses to a point beyond self-parody. Definitely not.

I know you're being facetious but my hype for Death Stranding or whatever the hell he works on at this point is at an all time low after Peace Walker and MGSV

Holiday

Banned
I know you're being facetious but my hype for Death Stranding or whatever the hell he works on at this point is at an all time low after Peace Walker and MGSV

Weirdly, my hype for it is very high, even though it could so easily be bloated and overwrought. At least flawed Kojima is still interesting.

Alucard

Banned
Oh cool. Shadow of the Colussus remake and Crash trilogy getting a face lift. I'd be up for both those things if I had time. Ha.

Yawnier

Banned
Weirdly, my hype for it is very high, even though it could so easily be bloated and overwrought. At least flawed Kojima is still interesting.
Yeah I'm expecting it to be very interesting and weird obviously since even MGSV had it's cool moments. But I guess I'll say I'm just not expecting anything from Kojima and his team again that is on the level of a MGS2 or 3.

PillarEN

Yeah I'm expecting it to be very interesting and weird obviously since even MGSV had it's cool moments. But I guess I'll say I'm just not expecting anything from Kojima again that is on the level of a MGS2 or 3.

I haven't played MGS5 (I did play Peace Walker though). Isn't that game noted for having really tight gameplay? Are you less interested in that aspect and more interested about themes, story and character aspects?

Yawnier

Banned
I haven't played MGS5 (I did play Peace Walker though). Isn't that game noted for having really tight gameplay? Are you less interested in that aspect and more interested about themes, story and character aspects?
Oh the gameplay (and graphics) in MGSV is excellent. Without spoiling anything specific it does fall short in it's story and going in depth with much of it's themes and characters though. I've always been more interested in the latter in the MGS series, which is why MGS2 and 3 are among two of my favourite games ever

MGSV was unfinished. When it hit it's notes (opening, end of chapter 1) the game is top MGS. Ground Zeroes was also amazing as a proof of concept. Shame that Kojima couldn't realize MGSV to it's fullest

Yawnier

Banned
MGSV was unfinished. When it hit it's notes (opening, end of chapter 1) the game is top MGS. Ground Zeroes was also amazing as a proof of concept. Shame that Kojima couldn't realize MGSV to it's fullest
The game definitely had it's moments like the
Salanthropus boss fight and the zombie level where you kill your own troops
, but mannnnn the last third or so of the game just left a really bad taste in my mouth that I still haven't gotten over.

Pikma

Banned
Poor Kojima was Konami's victim, if only management had given him 4 extra years and $80,000,000 more.

Top Bottom