• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

yyzjohn

Banned
I won't be shocked if Matt Martin gets bought out before the last year of his deal. Leafs are gonna be in a massive cap crunch in 2019-2020 and will need all the space they can get

I also wouldn't put much into the Russell rumors from last year, I thought that was confirmed to be complete BS from his agent to up his value.

Leafs only have 3 forwards under contract for 2019-2020 and one of them is Nathan Horton. I hardly think the 2.5 from Martin is going to be a huge factor.

Forwards under contract:
Nathan Horton
Nazem Kadri
Matt Martin

You're telling me the Leafs can't figure out their forwards cap situation from this starting point?

Samyy

OK you've listed Martin moves twice. He's not egregiously bad.

Zaitsev -- what's wrong with locking up Zaitsev to a 4.5 cap hit? Reasonable for a guy on the 2nd pair.

Martin - 2.5mil x 4 years "he's not egregiously bad". If that's your best description for him there's no justification for giving him that contract and playing him over Leivo/Leipsic/Kapanen/Soshnikov/ or whoever else.

Zaitsev is fine #4 in his prime years. But you've locked this guy up for 7 years and I can't see him getting much better then he currently is at his age. Should you be paying a #4 guy that much money and term? I can't see the justification for that.

yyzjohn

Banned
Martin - 2.5mil x 4 years "he's not egregiously bad". If that's your best description for him there's no justification for giving him that contract and playing him over Leivo/Leipsic/Kapanen/Soshnikov/ or whoever else.

Zaitsev is fine #4 in his prime years. But you've locked this guy up for 7 years and I can't see him getting much better then he currently is at his age. Should you be paying a #4 guy that much money and term? I can't see the justification for that.

Leivo/Leipsic/Kapanen/Soshnikov, are all those guys going to be 4th line players? You've got to have some experience on the team and not a team full of rookies on every line. It's not like Martin hurts the Leafs out there, he is what he is, but his contract is hardly an indication that management have lost their minds. You can find a dubious contract on every team in the league, and honestly a 2.5 million hit is way easier to absorb then someone making over $5M (see David Clarkson)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 6m 6 minutes ago
Tons of action this morning. Hearing Vegas continues to push to move into the top 3 and the NYR may also trade up. Lots of moving parts.
I'm sorry, what?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Does the draft start at 4pm pacific or only the show, with the picks starting at, say, 5 or so?

zroid

Banned
What has Lou really done well with the Leafs other than the Phaneuf trade?

granted, the Phaneuf trade was very good

Also, I don't know how much Lou actually influences their drafting but their 2016 draft was really suspect compared to the 2015 draft before he was brought in

edit: oh yeah the Rielly and Kadri contracts were excellent

yyzjohn

Banned

Also, I don't know how much Lou really influences their drafting but their 2016 draft was really suspect compared to the 2015 draft before he was brought in

Hunter runs the draft. Lou doesn't have a blank cheque either. I know he was the be all and end all in NJ, but over here Shanahan has the final say.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Also, I don't know how much Lou actually influences their drafting but their 2016 draft was really suspect compared to the 2015 draft before he was brought in

No more sideburns

yyzjohn

Banned

Don't forget those deadline deals last year when he dealt stiffs like Winnik etc for picks. Did pretty well there.

I just came back from the dentist what's happ...

giphy.webp

zroid

Banned
True, Lou has made some good deadline deals.

I think the problem is, besides the Kadri and Rielly contracts, all the moves which have been intended to help the team compete in the present have been rather underwhelming. these are the kinds of moves which can hurt your team over the long term, so if he doesn't get it right, the leafs will be screwed.

for example:

- Andersen trade and contract were very risky (1st year went pretty well, but this could still go downhill in a hurry)
- everything related to Matt Martin (including re-signing Ben Smith 🤢)
- Zaitsev contract is defensible, but you have to really strain yourself to defend it tbh
- Boyle trade was an overpayment

Honestly, I dunno if they make the playoffs without Boyle.

I can almost buy that, but at the same time, Peter Holland would have been at least as good as their 4C down the stretch. Maybe he doesn't win as many faceoffs but he would have contributed more offensively.

yyzjohn

Banned
Love how the Overdrive crew asked Matthews who was more proud of him winning the Calder, his dad or his other dad Babcock. Lol

yyzjohn

Banned
True, Lou has made some good deadline deals.

I think the problem is, besides the Kadri and Rielly contracts, all the moves which have been intended to help the team compete in the present have been rather underwhelming. these are the kinds of moves which can hurt your team over the long term, so if he doesn't get it right, the leafs will be screwed.

for example:

- Andersen trade and contract were very risky (1st year went pretty well, but this could still go downhill in a hurry)
- everything related to Matt Martin (including re-signing Ben Smith 🤢)
- Zaitsev contract is defensible, but you have to really strain yourself to defend it tbh
- Boyle trade was an overpayment

People complaining about Martin, but all season he didn't have a real center to play with. Holland. Smith, the Goat. Finally when they got Boyle you noticed the 4th line was actually effective. Other than a slight overpayment on Martin's contract I fail to see how it's such a bad move. Give him a decent center on the 4th line and they can play.

zroid

Banned
People complaining about Martin, but all season he didn't have a real center to play with. Holland. Smith, the Goat. Finally when they got Boyle you noticed the 4th line was actually effective. Other than a slight overpayment on Martin's contract I fail to see how it's such a bad move. Give him a decent center on the 4th line and they can play.

it's a "slight overpayment" if it was a 1 year deal. for 4 years it's virtually incomprehensible. now he's devouring a roster spot for 3 more years instead of letting an actual skilled player take his spot. Like, say, Brendan Leipsic, maybe? look at columbus last year for an example of what a REAL 4th line can contribute to a team.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
That was actually my first thought upon hearing him head back to the Hawks. "Well, at least that one dude should be happy." lol

It's also literally the FB message I sent him this morning when I read the news :lol

Silexx

Dorion said teams were calling about Methot but trading Methot didn't sit right with him so he left Methot for Vegas.

Lol wut
I mean, he was still going to lose an asset, plus whoever he acquired he would have to worry about protecting meaning someone else valuable was going to be exposed.

Trading Methot wouldn't really have solved anything.

Cake Boss

Banned
Exactly, I hate the whole he lost an asset for nothing argument. Shit makes no sense, everyone lost an asset or lost an asset in order to protect someone for nothing. Some teams just lost a bigger asset than other just because of the way they are structured with ECLs and shit.

It also happens the teams that lost the biggest assets were the final 4 in the yoffs.

Neal, Methot, Fleury and Theodore.

calder

8 years is painful but you kinda have to for top line guys in that situation. Damn is that going to suck in a couple of years.

Top Bottom