• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Marvie_3

Banned
Hoping that schmuck Jurco steps up for your guys this year.
Me too. You could see flashes of talent there but Q never gave him much of a shot this year. Not getting my hopes too high on him though.

true, I haven't seen a ton of Sadd since he went to the Jackets but what I did see he's still awesome.

The more I think about Hammer the more I think this was plan B and they shopped Seabrook hard with no real takers.
Thats what I think too. Price was probably too high to ditch him.

Im guessing Hossa will be a Coyote next year.

HariKari

Sure, those future fans of whatever city the team is moving to.

I'm sure the phone is ringing off the hook for new season ticket holders and sponsors.

Everything is still a disaster in local politics around the team, the stadium deal is in complete limbo, the fan base that does exist continues to get smacked around... but sure, great day.

Traded for Stepan, a goalie, and a partner for OEL. Still upset?

Arizona traded away their 7th overall pick?

You were shitting on the Coyotes for not having a 1c and a goalie, are you just an unreasonable hater?

Solo

Giroux makes 8.2m for the next 5 years? ��

4 straight years of declining production.
Getting old.
5 more years.
Albatross contract.
Stay. The. Fuck. Away. Bergevin.

4 hours later......

"The Montreal Canadiens have traded F Alex Galchenyuk, F Max Pacioretty, and a 2018 1st for Claude Giroux (Philly retains 0% salary")

Samyy

I actually think our management has completely lost the script tbh so I wouldn't be shocked if we grossly overpaid for Hamonic
Lou has had a really negative impact

yyzjohn

Banned
I actually think our management has completely lost the script tbh so I wouldn't be shocked if we grossly overpaid for Hamonic
Lou has had a really negative impact

Exactly what moves that they've done give you the idea they've completely lost the script?

Marvie_3

Banned
Same. He's been on a (steepish?) decline the past couple of seasons but it's hard to believe this was the best return he could've gotten.
Hes declined a tiny bit but I wouldnt call it steep. When you take the amount of punishment he does, its go to take its toll eventually. Hammer is 30 now so I feel he has some good years left but its only a matter of time until it catches up to him.

Hes declined a tiny bit but I wouldnt call it steep. When you take the amount of punishment he does, its go to take its toll eventually. Hammer is 30 now so I feel he has some good years left but its only a matter of time until it catches up to him.

Yeah I mean this year especially he had a lot of defensive lapses that are uncharacteristic of him and he was particularly brutal towards the end and into the playoffs. A declining Hjalmarsson is still a solid #2 or #3 on most teams but I think it's pretty clear he's lost a step lately. Even with that said he was probably the most reliable d man on the team and I don't see how Murphy and Dauphin fit into the mix on an already crappy blue line.

Marvie_3

Banned
Yeah I mean this year especially he had a lot of defensive lapses that are uncharacteristic of him and he was particularly brutal towards the end and into the playoffs. A declining Hjalmarsson is still a solid #2 or #3 on most teams but I think it's pretty clear he's lost a step lately. Even with that said he was probably the most reliable d man on the team and I don't see how Murphy and Dauphin fit into the mix on an already crappy blue line.
Well Dauphin doesnt fit on the blue line because he's a center. :p

To be fair to Hammer, most of the defense had those lapses. The Keith/Hammer pairing never really worked except on paper. They never seemed to quite click the way Seabs/Keith did as a pair.

Seabrook and TVR/Oduya was a mess and mistakes are expected from rookies.

Seabrook and Kempny were great together. Keith and TVR were really good last year.

Chicagos defensive pairings never really made sense all year and it showed.

Samyy

Exactly what moves that they've done give you the idea they've completely lost the script?

- Signing Matt Martin
- Protecting Matt Martin in an expansion draft and losing a pretty promising prospect
- A ton of rumours last year that they were looking into Russell
- Playing Ben Smith
- Bringing back Roman Polak and Hunwick
- Drafting some completely useless D-men last year purely based on size who will 100% bust.
- Nikita Zaitsev contract

yyzjohn

Banned
- Signing Matt Martin
- Protecting Matt Martin in an expansion draft and losing a pretty promising prospect
- A ton of rumours last year that they were looking into Russell
- Playing Ben Smith
- Bringing back Roman Polak and Hunwick
- Drafting some completely useless D-men last year purely based on size who will 100% bust.
- Nikita Zaitsev contract

OK you've listed Martin moves twice. He's not egregiously bad.

Russell rumors are just that -- rumors...take them with a grain of salt. Leafs didn't sign Russell so have no idea how this is a mark against management?

Ben Smith - talk to Babcock.

Polak & Hunwick although bad in the early part of the season were actually not that bad down the stretch.

Zaitsev -- what's wrong with locking up Zaitsev to a 4.5 cap hit? Reasonable for a guy on the 2nd pair.

hi0RHpH.jpg

Hunwick -- cheaper than Phaneuf.

Yawnier

Banned
I won't be shocked if Matt Martin gets bought out before the last year of his deal. Leafs are gonna be in a massive cap crunch in 2019-2020 and will need all the space they can get

I also wouldn't put much into the Russell rumors from last year, I thought that was confirmed to be complete BS from his agent to up his value.

Top Bottom