• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

zroid

Banned
this is amazing

fv7_ztDKTbGMNFpj3IEv_g.png

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
My favourite thing is playing NHL online and getting messages after a game and people calling me "frog"

Merguson

Banned
Bought a pair of Leafs tickets through the team that didn't require me to empty out my bank account or stand on my feet for hours.

Do we get trophies for this?

zroid

Banned
Loophole Lou has done it again, it seems. First it was LTIRing players who are in exile, now it's using LTIR in the off-season, which is popularly thought to not be allowed

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Loophole Lou has done it again, it seems. First it was LTIRing players who are in exile, now it's using LTIR in the off-season, which is popularly thought to not be allowed

What's sad is they're doing it but other teams thought you couldn't do it

Bunch of tricksters

imBask

Banned
Habs apparently made a $1.5M offer to Mark Streit

My only hope now is that Markov retires instead of going to play somewhere else, which wouldn't surprise me

Habs apparently made a $1.5M offer to Mark Streit

My only hope now is that Markov retires instead of going to play somewhere else, which wouldn't surprise me

I really don't know what's the hold up. Maybe Markov is thinking about retiring. If that's the case... I wouldn't mind signing Cody Franson

Montresor

So I just want to get this off my chest. I think the fan experience at a Blue Jays game at Rogers Centre is a million, million, million times better than the fan experience at a Leafs game at the ACC.

Full disclosure, I haven't been to the ACC in a couple of years - last game I went to was a game versus Florida where the crowd chanted Fire Wilson. And I've been to three Jays game this year.

The crappiest thing about the ACC is the tickets are really expensive. I'm guaranteed to be sitting in the nosebleeds. So no matter how crappy my seats are, I'm always of the mind that if the team loses, it's been a huge fucking waste of time and money and a sunk cost. That's not an issue watching from home on Sportsnet or CBC. But I'm going to go to the ACC and spend $100+ for crappy seats and they're going to play like shit? Fuck that.

Pros of going to see the Jays at the Rogers centre (from my recent experience)

*The fan experience seems catered to give the fan a fun time every single second. Whoever controls the music at the Rogers Centre does an incredible job of keeping us engaged. They have a dozen different songs they play in between plays to encourage you to just clap... it's surprisingly fun. Like the Fitz And The Tantrums song... or "Everybody Clap Your Hands", etc...

*Every single player, when they walk on, has their own intro song that plays at every at-bat. I love Russell Martin's song (an oldie but a goodie by Mase - loved his song when I was a kid). And I hate DJ Khaled but Tulo's intro song has me hooked.
*I love also how certain players have special chants. Like fucking Tulo lol. Whenever he comes on at bat, the Rogers Centre plays this little jingle and everyone at the end goes "TU-LO!" And the best is when the jingle ends, but the crowd emulates it with claps and still yells "TU-LO!" right after.

*I think hockey is unbelievably entertaining because it's fast, physical, gritty, exciting! I love it when two players go into the corner to battle for a puck. I love it when a goalie makes a point blank save. I love it when a player scores a nice one-timer or snipe and the crowd erupts in joy. But I don't know, that fast-paced action doesn't give you room to breathe. I've been thinking more and more about this but when I'm at the Rogers Centre, the fact that baseball is such as slow, methodical sport makes it so easy to keep up with what's happening. Every at-bat and pitch is slow and deliberate but I can absorb everything that's happening. Stroman just pitched - oooh that's a strike (crowd claps). Stroman just pitched - oooh a ball (crowd shrugs). It feels like it's impossible to miss anything, which to me is a plus when you're paying to sit in the crowd.

*I also love the way Osuna dabs with Russell Martin after he closes out a win. Although, last time I went (which was Saturday July 8th), Osuna wasn't needed - they had Biagini close out the game as we were winning 7-2. I joked with my friend that I hoped Biagini would get in trouble with runners on base because I fucking love seeing Osuna pitch.

*When I went last it was baking hot and the Rogers Centre roof was open. It felt and smelled like summer. I'm a pretty big guy so I immediately thought "I'm fucked - I'm going to sweat a lot" hehe. But it ended up being fine. There was often a wonderful cool breeze blowing through. And I could smell the sunscreen in the air which was oddly comforting.

So anyways - I really don't consider myself even a casual Jays fan. I pretty much won't watch any of their games at home unless they're in the playoffs. But I love going to the Rogers Centre. And I'm a hardcore Leafs fan, and I love watching hockey at home, but I could not give less of a shit about going to the ACC for a Leafs game.

What sucks about the Hockey team is how popular it is and that a lot of people want to go to games so prices rise. Also, havent been to place in 3 years so it sucks. Far bigger stadium with many more games every year has lower prices so it's better. K.

I know a place you can go for cheap hockey tickets. Plenty of good seats available too. Just short 5 hour flight away.

Top Bottom