• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Really have to wonder what more Washington could possibly do in order to better contend than it already has. They even brought in "Mr. Game 7" specifically to address situations like last night, and it still didn't work.

Foggy

I feel for the Caps but unless there's a very clear solution or a very clear upgrade going forward then you can't blow things up. Losing to the SC champs two years in a row isn't something worth overreacting to.

Quick

Banned
Washington seeningly had every tool they need to compete for the Cup and blew it by getting shut out in game 7.

And the funny thing is they've consistently been one of the best teams in the last decade. By other teams' standards, they don't have to start from scratch and rebuild.

Cake Boss

Banned
From what I saw, it just seems that Washington is a slower team than the Pens, and they have a problem of trying to be too cute and overpass in every play instead of keeping it simple and crashing the net after each shot.

If I was the EA GM of this team, I would only keep Oshie and the rest of the RFAs, and consider Ovie being traded. Replace the UFA's with either in house talent who are cheaper and better skaters like Bowie. Also have to consider playing the other million goalie prospects in the system over Holtby, those guys need to develop and he hasn't gotten the job done, move on from him.

zroid

Banned
if I were coaching the caps I would try to have them play just bad enough to finish 4th in the metro and take the 1st wildcard

I don't truly believe there is a mental hurdle with them regarding the Penguins but I wouldn't want to have to deal with that again anyway. they would have strolled right into the ECF if in the Rangers position.

why keep tormenting your fan base with the same shit

Marvie_3

Banned
Marvie your Boy Panik got a Two year extension with the Blackhawks.
Yeah at 2.8 million a year. He was good numbers wise this year but he was still crazy inconsistent. I would have liked something closer to 2. Bowman better have deals in place to dump some bloated contracts like Kruger and Seabrook or Chicagos cap is in deep shit.

Parch

Washington built a pretty good team with very nice depth, but I do believe Ovechkin is the problem. It's very difficult to have a championship team built around a winger. It needs to be a center.
If your team is going to have one of the highest paid players in the league, it better be a center if you want to win.

zroid

Banned
Washington built a pretty good team with very nice depth, but I do believe Ovechkin is the problem. It's very difficult to have a championship team built around a winger. It needs to be a center.
If your team is going to have one of the highest paid players in the league, it better be a center if you want to win.
if ovi weren't there you could just as easily call Backstrom the player they've built the team around. and now they have Kuznetsov, a star in his own right. this has nothing to do with centre talent.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Brendan Smith said:
"This has been arguably the best team I've been on...it was fun to be a part of it."
From the media scrum, sounds like Brendan Smith wants to stay with the Rangers. We'll see how the money pans out, but I feel like this should get done. I think both sides want it to happen.

Socreges

Banned
Re: Caps

Last night seemed to be as much about nerves for the Caps as anything. In game 6 when they scored five they were playing loose and had confidence finishing. But last night they had stone hands around the net. You have to think if they had a lucky bounce or more confidence in close they could have won.

Plus Ovi failed to clear and then defend on both Pens goals. He looked lazy at times.

I think you have to do something drastic. Ovechkin is the face of the team but he no longer carries it and could fetch such a good return that I think he's worth trading.

[Edit] just revealed that he was on pain-numbing injections...but then why was Trotz so disappointed in him 🤔

Cactus

Banned
Re: Caps

Last night seemed to be as much about nerves for the Caps as anything. In game 6 when they scored five they were playing loose and had confidence finishing. But last night they had stone hands around the net. You have to think if they had a lucky bounce or more confidence in close they could have won.

Plus Ovi failed to clear and then defend on both Pens goals. He looked lazy at times.

I think you have to do something drastic. Ovechkin is the face of the team but he no longer carries it and could fetch such a good return that I think he's worth trading.

[Edit] just revealed that he was on pain-numbing injections...but then why was Trotz so disappointed in him 🤔

They caught Trotz at an emotional time.

Yawnier

Banned
I'm half expecting the AAV of Downtown Connor Brown's contract to be similar to that of Panik's deal, though I do wonder if they'll go long term with him like they did with Zaitsev to bring the cap hit down a bit

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Henrik Lundqvist is going to the Worlds to play alongside Joel. He says it may be his last chance to play for Sweden with the NHL not going to the Olympics next year, so he's going to take it.

Solo

Heard it this morning, limited NMC he can either list 10 teams not to go to or he can go to.

I forget which.

I just looked his contract up. It's 10 he won't play for.

But he has 4 more years at a cap hit of $9.54M per. What team could possibly take that on? Not the Arizona/New Jersey bottom feeders, as they'd surely be on his list of 10. What contending team can slot $10M in cap hit in without fucking themselves over? Not to mention that I believe Leonsis would do right by Ovi. Meaning he won't trade him if he doesn't want to go, and if he does want to go, he'll make the deal with the team Ovi tells him he wants to go to. So in effect it's probably more like 3-4 top teams he could possibly be traded to, none of which may be able to fit him under the cap.

calder

I just looked his contract up. It's 10 he won't play for.

He'll waive it to come to Winnipeg and play alongside his illegitimate son Laine. The PP will look a little weird because they will both literally be standing in the same spot constantly but they'll figure it out.

Solo

He'll waive it to come to Winnipeg and play alongside his illegitimate son Laine. The PP will look a little weird because they will both literally be standing in the same spot constantly but they'll figure it out.

In a career-defining move, Ovi will learn to shoot left handed and will be the first ambidextrous player to win the Rocket.

Didn't see the Caps game, but the Ducks also played with a lot of pressure and gave up an early goal. They poured it on in the second, got a goal, and then won it in the third.

Even then, they were scrambling a bit in their own zone and the Oilers had chances themselves, but couldn't finish.

Maybe they could trade/expose Holtby but he's 27 and Grubauer is only two years younger. $6.1M isn't a bad contract either.

No picks in the first three rounds though. Ouch.

imBask

Banned

And Crosby has a concussion, and half the Penguins are injured

already finding excuses, this is why the Caps are complete trash

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Dan Rosen @drosennhl
AV said it's definitely possible Staal and Girardi will see less ice time next yr b/c the NYR are looking to add a young 'D' to their core.
Steve Zipay‏ @stevezipay
One of AV's more telling quotes: "We're definitely looking at bringing in another young defenseman next year."

I've been saying this was the plan for a while now, but this is the first time I've actually heard someone in the org say it outright. That said, AV also said Girardi would be getting less ice time this season and getting scratched more in back to backs, and that didn't happen beyond the first month or two of the season.

One Ranger may need surgery, but they won't know for sure until tomorrow. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if it was Dan Girardi, whose ankle has apparently been pretty gnarly ever since blocking a shot late in the season. If it is him, that alters the plans for how to deal with the defense rather significantly since we won't be allowed to buy him out.

Dan Rosen‏ @drosennhl 9m9 minutes ago
AV said Zibanejad is at a "crossroads" in his career and he needs to "figure it out" because he absolutely can be a high-end C in the NHL.
Not the first time I've heard AV say something like this about one of his players. Last year it was Kevin Hayes, who came back and took his game to a new level this season. Zibanejad has also said similar things about his own inability to be consistent. This season was pretty rough for him with the broken leg and adjusting to a new team and system, so it will be exciting to see how he does next year with this season under his belt.

Sean Hartnett‏ @HartnettHockey 6m 6 minutes ago
#NYR HC Alain Vigneault: "The Chris Kreider we saw in the 3rd period of Game 6. Boy, I would have liked to see him on a more regular basis."
No lies detected here. This is the enigma that is Chris Kreider. A borderline superstar elite power forward.......when he feels like it.

Meanwhile, Brady Skjei and Kevin Hayes are off to represent USA at Worlds.

calder

@StevenEllisNHL
Claude GIroux and Pierre-Édouard Bellemare were getting rough in a scrum in front of the net. They're, uh, #Flyers teammates. #IIHFWorlds

FlyersGAF tell us why all Girioux's teammates punch him in the face the second they get a chance to. Do you need to trade him? Is he a Locker Room Problem? My phone is always charged, we can work something out.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
That has been Zibby's assessment since he's been in the NHL.

Still love him tho.
Pretty much.

He also led the Rangers in points in the playoffs. Scored an OT winner against Montreal. Scored the first goal for the team when facing elimination against the Sens. Proved he could be clutch. Hopefully he gets a full season to get something rolling next year.

Solo

FlyersGAF tell us why all Girioux's teammates punch him in the face the second they get a chance to. Do you need to trade him? Is he a Locker Room Problem? My phone is always charged, we can work something out.

To be honest, my other fear aside from overpaying to get Hanzal is that Bergevin will make an atrocious trade for a declining Giroux. Then he can proclaim that he's "fixed" our centre depth when in reality we'll get 2 albatross contracts and AGally will have a nice career in Philly.

Bergevin knows that next season is his last chance, and as such that makes him dangerous. I can see a desperation move or two, an overpayment or two, coming this summer as he desperately tries to save his ass. I just hope he doesn't get the chance to fuck us over more royally than we already are.

Curufinwe

To be honest, my other fear aside from overpaying to get Hanzal is that Bergevin will make an atrocious trade for a declining Giroux. Then he can proclaim that he's "fixed" our centre depth when in reality we'll get 2 albatross contracts and AGally will have a nice career in Philly.

Bergevin knows that next season is his last chance, and as such that makes him dangerous. I can see a desperation move or two, an overpayment or two, coming this summer as he desperately tries to save his ass. I just hope he doesn't get the chance to fuck us over more royally than we already are.

G has a NMC.

No Montreal Clause.

Solo

At 29 and after 4 straight years of declining production with 5 more years at an $8.275M cap hit, a no Montreal clause is just fine by me!

Top Bottom