• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

LotusHD

Banned
People were soooooo sure this won't get more than 80 on Metacritic lol. It's #1 for PS4 now

Yea I'm like, have we been watching the same gameplay and trailers here?

His past work almost meant nothing for me, because it was obviously hampered by its gameplay. When you got Platinum of all people working on it, and you also have a demo confirming that yes, this is a good game, I couldn't help but have far higher expectations lol

WetWaffle

Damn, this one is getting good reviews too. I already had to break my "Never buy a game for $60" rule with Horizon, then Yakuza 0 and Gravity Rush 2 with that Target sale. Just gonna wait till it's on sale, it's a SE rpg, and likely isnt gonna sell very high so it shouldn't take too long

Intel_89

I'm pretty sure that it'll stay above 85 which confirms that yet another great game is about to come out, the end of 2016/beggining of 2017 is freaking packed man.

killatopak

Damn, this one is getting good reviews too. I already had to break my "Never buy a game for $60" rule with Horizon, then Yakuza 0 and Gravity Rush 2 with that Target sale. Just gonna wait till it's on sale, it's a SE rpg, and likely isnt gonna sell very high so it shouldn't take too long

This is pretty much up in the air. Japanese people liked it well enough to buy 200k on the first week. I could see this easily being another Nioh and getting a million sold.

SE well. SE is gonna SE but it's not gonna drop in price as fast as thought it would be.

SarusGray

This is pretty much up in the air. Japanese people liked it well enough to buy 200k on the first week. I could see this easily being another Nioh and getting a million sold.

SE well. SE is gonna SE but it's not gonna drop in price as fast as thought it would be.

combat is really fun and the game had a good demo and is on PC. If this doesn't sell a million that would be very sad :-S

Yea I'm like, have we been watching the same gameplay and trailers here?

His past work almost meant nothing for me, because it was obviously hampered by its gameplay. When you got Platinum of all people working on it, and you also have a demo confirming that yes, this is a good game, I couldn't help but have far higher expectations lol

To be fair, I ended up with very different thought processes on NieR with the demo and the final game:

Demo: whew, this will be an amazing Platinum action game with great set-pieces and combat with the Yoko Taro flavor and story.

Game: whew, this is a through-and-through Yoko Taro game that is finally unhinged from the limitations of inferior development know-how and a clearer sense of how to tell his story.

Platinum makes the game a lot more fun to play and less boring, but the real draw and what elevates Automata isn't the "Platinum stuff", it's all the Yoko Taro stuff.

WetWaffle

Well then, guess my only option is to go on blackout mode and just bide my time playing the demo while everyone enjoys the experience

LotusHD

Banned
To be fair, I ended up with very different thought processes on NieR with the demo and the final game:

Demo: whew, this will be an amazing Platinum action game with great set-pieces and combat with the Yoko Taro flavor and story.

Game: whew, this is a through-and-through Yoko Taro game that is finally unhinged from the limitations of inferior development know-how and a clearer sense of how to tell his story.

Platinum makes the game a lot more fun to play and less boring, but the real draw and what elevates Automata isn't the "Platinum stuff", it's all the Yoko Taro stuff.

I did simple addition from the beginning:

Yoko Taro (Good storyteller, genre-shifts, etc.) + Godly Music (Keiichi Okabe) + Poor Gameplay = 1st Nier, mediocre but still a cult classic

Now:

Yoko Taro + Okabe + Platinum = Much, much better game

From Day 1 of finding out this game became a thing, Nier fans were telling everyone that pretty much all a sequel would need is competent gameplay, which Platinum is certainly known for, so I felt confident that it would be a success.

SarusGray

Well then, guess my only option is to go on blackout mode and just bide my time playing the demo while everyone enjoys the experience

orrr BUY it at full price so platinum games and yoko can make more awesome games ;-D. I know.. we all aren't rich. (I'm not rich)

I hope all of those people who thought it would do badly are eating delicious crow right about now. Mmmmm. Must taste nice. :p

In all seriousness I'm glad it's getting the scores the first game should have gotten in the first place (which was definitely my favourite game last gen).

Good to hear the reviews turn out. Been buying Day 1 more recently (w/Amazon or BB 20%) to support titles like Nioh and NierA out of the gate.

icespide

Banned
I've already got this preloaded (preordered digitally to support platinum) but I am trying to get through Nioh and Horizon before firing it up and by that time I'll have to juggle Persona.

god damn

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That feeling when reviewers give Platinum all the credit and don't credit Yoko Taro in any measure in their reviews

tumblr_m67jtm4fnB1qdmrhmo1_400.gif

the reviewer didn't know how to follow a marker on their mini-map :(

and then gave up on completing the game for his review

To be fair, it's a little more than that. The translation for the first (mandatory) fishing mission is off and it doesn't tell you quite the right thing to do - it stumped me and lots and lots of other people at the time.

WetWaffle

orrr BUY it at full price so platinum games and yoko can make more awesome games ;-D. I know.. we all aren't rich. (I'm not rich)
Aint that the truth. It's tough being a college student. My parents had to borrow most of my finacial aid this semester so I got to make $270 last 2 more months. Who knows, maybe I'll get some of it back when they get their tax refund, and then I can buy it full price :)

I'm a Platinum fan but this is music to my ears.

Top Bottom