• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata Review Thread

Once again, I'm pleasantly surprised by these review scores. I've been low balling the scores of practically every release this year.

I expected low 80s at best from Horizon, and that game over-delivered. I expect around 94-95 from Zelda, and it got a 98!

I wasn't even expecting great scores from Nier: Automata, despite the first one being a cult classic. Now it's close to 90. The game might actually not bomb this time.

The critical hits have been relentless this year.

Fraxin

I normally don't participate in metacritic fuckery but man do I wish it it would rise to 90.

Me too, Barely care for reviews, however don't know why I want this game to get at least a 90. (I'm buying it regardless)

Does OP know who is reviewing it from EasyAllies?

Edit: Just checked, Ben Moore is reviewing it for EasyAllies,, Sorry for that stupid question.

SarusGray

Once again, I'm pleasantly surprised by these review scores. I've been low balling the scores of practically every release this year.

I expected low 80s at best from Horizon, and that game over-delivered. I expect mid 94-95 from Zelda, and it got a 98!

I wasn't even expecting great scores from Nier: Automata, despite the first one being a cult classic. Now it's close to 90. The game actually not bomb this time.

what a great top post! What a great start of a year for gaming too!

gngf123

Calculated the actual average rating...

We're at 89.86111

If the next score is 95 or higher, we've got 90 in the bag.

You'd need to calculate the average with Metacritic weighted averaging intact for that, which isn't something they make public.

Now, Opencritic you can do it with I think.

Metacritic? Don't different review sites have different weight for MC?

Not each publication is weighted equally, though.

Yes, but as Squire states...

They do and MC isn't forthcoming with their actual algorithm.

... so it's all we have to go on to make estimations. (And it lines up, assuming they don't round up.)

Now, Opencritic you can do it with I think.

I'll run the numbers for OC & see.

Elandyll

Banned
Glad to see that my impression of the demo translated in the actual game...
Gj to Taro, Platinum and SE.

It's arriving tomorrow and I'm nowhere Nier done with Horizon. I have one month to finish both before Persona5 arrives...

1st world problems.

I'm happy this game is reviewing well. I'm sticking to my one game at a time rule so I'll be playing this after I beat Horizon and then finish Zelda. Might buy it early just to support them.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
can we stop. It's going to be silly if Nier ends up getting a lower score and then its the talk of the town in this thread.

#gamersgetmoregreatgames

And on top of that it's just literally ONE POINT! Like people have to understand that, that means basically nothing. They are pretty much reviewed the same as far as quality is concerned.

Okay, I've calculated the actual average rating for both Metacritic & Opencritic...

We're at 89.86111 on Metacritic (They do not round scores up | Rounds down to 89)
We're at 88.7931 on Opencritic (They do round scores up | Rounds up to 89)

If the next Metacritic score is 95 or higher, we've got 90 in the bag there, while Opencritic simply needs another 90 or higher. (Metacritic Score may be subject to their internal algorithm.)

2017 is out of fucking control.

I won't have time for this until at least Summer, but I think I'll pick it up early anyway just to support the release. I'd hate to see games like this getting lost in the avalanche lately

SarusGray

Glad to see that my impression of the demo translated in the actual game...
Gj to Taro, Platinum and SE.

It's arriving tomorrow and I'm nowhere Nier done with Horizon. I have one month to finish both before Persona5 arrives...

1st world problems.

no... NO.

Okay, I've calculated the actual average rating for both Metacritic & Opencritic...

We're at 89.86111 on Metacritic (They do not round scores | Rounds down to 89)
We're at 88.7931 on Opencritic (They do round scores | Rounds up to 89)

If the next Metacritic score is 95 or higher, we've got 90 in the bag there, while Opencritic simply needs another 90 or higher. (Metacritic Score may be subject to their internal algorithm.)

we really shouldn't be doing this to ourselves

there will probably be at least 10 more reviews before all is said and done

any kind of calculation like this will be outdated a few days from now

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Weirdly enough I actually feel happier for Taura than Yoko, mainly because Yoko's kept working for a long time without too much in the way of critical approval, and Platinum really need a "win" after the Scalebound cancellation.

Also, watching Today's SE presents thing it was nice to see him looking a lot looser and more relaxed despite Saito and Yoko's clowning still being in full effect!

I am not gonna deny that I am a bit gutted that this isn't going to land on Xbox. A damn shame too.

I remember that the dev said it was going to depend on how well the PS4 version would do but then later they said it wasn't gonna happen. No market for it in Japan. But what about us? I would buy it right away. :(

Slightly hoping Phil Spencer's visit to Japan may have changed a few things. Come on Square Enix make it happen.

SarusGray

Weirdly enough I actually feel happier for Taura than Yoko, mainly because Yoko's kept working for a long time without too much in the way of critical approval, and Platinum really need a "win" after the Scalebound cancellation.

Also, watching Today's SE presents thing it was nice to see him looking a lot looser and more relaxed despite Saito and Yoko's clowning still being in full effect!

True. That was really sad.

Maxinas

Sounds like a solid game, cool. It will probably settle at around 87-89. Now wondering how well Persona 5 will do, it's definitely better than Persona 4, and hopefully the critics will see why.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
That video made me look up my reaction to the reveal
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=168375198&postcount=35

Still unreal tbh

I have too many posts, i can't even track my reaction in that thread :/ But it was just as jubilant let me tell you

Literally made E3 for me that year, and it wasn't even at Sony's conference, it was off to the side in SE's event where a lot of people in the industry looked at Yoko Taro in bemusement for putting on the now trademark Emil head and confusion about what Nier even was in the first place

I can't stress enough how flabbergasted i am that we got to this point

VRMN

Good lord this year. Horizon is already sitting on the burner thanks to Zelda. This and Mass Effect this month and Persona at the start of April. I might not need another game this year after this slate.

I have too many posts, i can't even track my reaction in that thread :/ But it was just as jubilant let me tell you

Literally made E3 for me that year, and it wasn't even at Sony's conference, it was off to the side in SE's event where a lot of people in the industry looked at Yoko Taro in bemusement for putting on the now trademark Emil head and confusion about what Nier even was in the first place

I can't stress enough how flabbergasted i am that we got to this point
the most shocking thing to me was that we went from a piece of concept art and an announcement at that E3 to release so quickly. I had thought for sure it was SE announcing shit too early again.

^Platinum released Metal Gear Rising in like just over a year since reveal. They work fast normally. Thankfully. If this was an internal Square Japan project instead, we'd be waiting in 2020 for it.

Indeed, seeing it open well in Japan was promising. But on the other hand in the west it could be a very different story.

Supposedly some places are running out of stock on pre-orders, so it seems to be doing well so far.

I expected low 80s at best from Horizon, and that game over-delivered. I expect around 94-95 from Zelda, and it got a 98!

I wasn't even expecting great scores from Nier: Automata, despite the first one being a cult classic. Now it's close to 90. The game might actually not bomb this time.

So far, it didn't bomb in Japan. Selling out of it's initial stock, and should easily hit a quarter million over there.

Good lord this year. Horizon is already sitting on the burner thanks to Zelda. This and Mass Effect this month and Persona at the start of April. I might not need another game this year after this slate.

The high amount of top quality games means I have a lot of strong titles to pick up when the gaming releases don't appeal to me. Nioh,horizon,mass effect and zelda will probably take me to the late end of 2017.

Top Bottom