• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VPhys

I think they could have updated/ made a more ergonomic controller but I guess that would have taken away the magic of this for some people.

FyreWulff

I think they could have updated/ made a more ergonomic controller but I guess that would have taken away the magic of this for some people.

An ergonomic controller already existed for the NES. It doesn't have that iconic look though

NES-101-Controller.jpg

It came with later releases and the NES2

iphys

A lot of us learned to put our thumb tip on the B button and use our thumb joint to tap A because of always wanting to hold B in SMB, which made this angled button layout very non-ergonomic for us.

NeOak

A lot of us learned to put our thumb tip on the B button and use our thumb joint to tap A because of always wanting to hold B in SMB, which made this angled button layout very non-ergonomic for us.

Thank God they moved running to Y in the SNES and jumping to B.

It boggles my mind how many people are actually interested in this. Probably the same gullible people that re-bought NES/SNES/N64/Gamecube titles multiple times over the last 10 years on Wii and Wii-U.

I do so love a drive-by shit post....

It's $60. It will make a fun gift and a great novelty item. But sure, shit on people for buying something that they find value in owning.

SystemUser

An ergonomic controller already existed for the NES. It doesn't have that iconic look though

It would be cool if they release another NES Classic with different games and using the toploader design with dog bone controllers. I think this might work as the third installment in the Mini live (NES Classic, SNES Classic, NES Toploader). It might be too niche though since most people only know the frontloader and the controllers with hard corners.

Cynn

Would be alot cooler if the door opened and they sold mini NES carts with like 30 games each or if it had NFC and they loaded games to Amiibos. Will probably still get one.
I would buy mini NES carts all day long. Especially if they had mini replica boxes and instruction books.

NES-101-Controller.jpg

I play Punch-Out!! using that dog bone every night (on an AV Famicom). I can't imagine going back to the hand-shredding square controllers for serious play.

Hobbun

They sort of did this already with the NES edition of the Gameboy Advance and the NES Classics line.

I never had a Gameboy Advance, myself.

Besides, I would be right there to purchase these (a mini-NES game cartridge line) as it's something that can be played on your TV.

You could do this with the NES Classics line, actually…

Well, that would be somewhat awful, as the 224p NES games get scaled down to 160p on the GBA and it looks bad. The Game Boy Interface boot disc can scale it back up, and then it will look even worse!

Don't Amiibos have like, a few kB of storage space?
Yes the space is absolutely tiny on them*. It is only metadata that can stored really (plus a small header saying what it is...along the lines of character 25 from franchise P and variant 1 of this which games then recognize as being Pikachu from Pokemon).

*-To the extent Cards that the eCard Reader used over a decade ago have more storage capacity...of course those are read-only (and you still needed several to load a single NES ROM).

RPGCrazied

Can you imagine a SNES one with all the Final Fantasies and jRPG's? I'd pay hardcore for that. I really hope they have screen filtering with these. Playing as is on a big TV aren't going to look any good. Also, why no Dragon Warrior??

Can you imagine a SNES one with all the Final Fantasies and jRPG's? I'd pay hardcore for that. I really hope they have screen filtering with these. Playing as is on a big TV aren't going to look any good. Also, why no Dragon Warrior??
It makes so much sense for a SNES classic that Nintendo probably won't do it

RPGCrazied

And no way to add games? There is so many missing. Should have a built in flash drive with a storefront to buy more games. Easy money Nintendo.

And no way to add games? There is so many missing. Should have a built in flash drive with a storefront to buy more games. Easy money Nintendo.

Basically making a virtual console box would be the easy money (Even if the concept isn't easy, as the turnaround would take much longer than this thing). Making a plug n play series for people who won't bother with going to an online storefront to buy more games is the quick money.

They need the quick money.

UberTag

Basically making a virtual console box would be the easy money (Even if the concept isn't easy, as the turnaround would take much longer than this thing). Making a plug n play series for people who won't bother with going to an online storefront to buy more games is the quick money.

They need the quick money.
The counter-argument would be... why not both? Go the quick money route as they have with the pre-loaded collection but facilitate a means of being able to supplement with additional titles through a virtual storefront. Best of both worlds that way.

Decider

I play Punch-Out!! using that dog bone every night (on an AV Famicom). I can't imagine going back to the hand-shredding square controllers for serious play.

On the other hand, I love the feel of the original controllers and can't stand the feel of the dogbones. Very happy with the NES Mini ones.

This explains a lot about how my wife holds game controllers.

She presses all the buttons with her thumb joint instead of her thumbprint.

The counter-argument would be... why not both? Go the quick money route as they have with the pre-loaded collection but facilitate a means of being able to supplement with additional titles through a virtual storefront. Best of both worlds that way.

They're still manufacturing all these things themselves, I'm pretty sure they're busy with developing their actual console than cash in on something that's worth more manufacturing and development effort than the Classic Mini NES right now. And if you say they should go and license that sort of thing out, we're risking a Sega here.

Ultima_5

Every time I see this thread bumped I keep hoping its for amazon pre orders but it's always just people complaining/discussing the product :/

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If NIntendo sold the games that way would you be able to get 30 of them (and the console) for $60?

Nope.

I have no issues with how they did it. The perfect nostalgia sweet spot fix, IMO. I don't have time with 2+ gens of backlogs already, to collect more things to collect dust essentially, lol.

Nope.

I have no issues with how they did it. The perfect nostalgia sweet spot fix, IMO. I don't have time with 2+ gens of backlogs already, to collect more things to collect dust essentially, lol.

I agree. Nintendo did a great job of not overthinking this thing and it's why it's going to print them money this holiday season. I just hope they get an SNES and N64 version out ASAP.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
If NIntendo sold the games that way would you be able to get 30 of them (and the console) for $60?
I think most people's ideal was them doing expansion carts with 5-10 additional games rather than one per cart. That way you still get the sales from the people that want that initial 30-game package and nothing else, but there's the window for add-on sales from people that want more.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I agree. Nintendo did a great job of not overthinking this thing and it's why it's going to print them money this holiday season. I just hope they get an SNES and N64 version out ASAP.

Fingers definitely crossed for the SNES. This does as well as it is appearing, it would have to be a sure thing.

I wish Sega would do this very same thing with the Genesis.

I think most people's ideal was them doing expansion carts with 5-10 additional games rather than one per cart. That way you still get the sales from the people that want that initial 30-game package and nothing else, but there's the window for add-on sales from people that want more.

Then you have to manage inventory of different cart sku's, build more parts into the system to read carts, build anti-piracy measures etc. The increased costs would not be offset by additional revenue. Outside of nerds like us, how many people do you you think really want any more games than are included?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

They are going to have an NX in which they want to sell you the games in a pick and choose manner.

This is just to get old school people to have that novelty nostalgia collector bug (introducing Nintendo back into their lives, and paying attention to the 'around the corner' NX) in which it worked on me, and also new people who are younger to never own an NES introduced into their legacy.

Whip it out from time to time, get some quick fix nostalgia in, and then put it back on display. They made the smart and economical choice.

To add to my earlier point. I did not give a shit about the NX this whole time. Since they announced this, I am now paying attention, and interested in what the NX is for potential purchase, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom