• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Classic Mini - NES Coming on November 11th (30 NES games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joedick

I wonder if the thinking is more "When TV news stations are doing stories about the hot holiday Black Friday items, let's make sure the mention our brand"

There isn't much sense in doing that if you don't have product on shelves for Black Friday. If anything, Nintendo may not want the unsold inventory on to be reported on their financials at the end of the quarter.

maxcriden

From the financial briefings, and based on the Famicom Mini being announced way after the other models and originally Nintendo indicating JP would not get this product (which technically they aren't but still), I get the strong sense Nintendo wasn't sure if this would flop or fly as a product, and once they found out it's seemingly the former hopefully they were able to ramp up production some, or at least will have considerable restocks soon enough after release. I think Nintendo's rep of undershipping is in part exacerbated by the initial amiibo situation that was in part no fault of their own due to the west coast port strike.

Jerm411

It'd be nice if we had a list or good idea of who is actually getting physical stock in on Friday to buy since we couldn't frickin pre-order....

I'm assuming most if not all major retailers but this could become a needle in a haystack scenario trying to find one....

There was a brief preorder up again on Amazon UK today saying 11th. I preordered, and it said 11th all day. Was well happy. I checked again right now, and it says Dec. 1st delivery. God damn it.

Randam

Will check out our local stores on Friday.

Little bit disappointed that we are getting the American football and not Nintendo World Cup

Randam

Cuningas de Häme;223443259 said:
Agreed. World Cup is the GOAT.

I will get this for Christmas (if there's any left then), looks really awesome piece of nostalgia.
Real bummer that we don't get World Cup. No real sports game in there other than temco bowl..

Bedlam

Will check out our local stores on Friday.

Little bit disappointed that we are getting the American football and not Nintendo World Cup
Yup, too bad Nintendo didn't customize the game selection for Europe a bit. Loved World Cup, I still have fond memories of playing it in between Mario and Adventure Island at my cousin's house. Good times! ;/

fernoca

From the financial briefings, and based on the Famicom Mini being announced way after the other models and originally Nintendo indicating JP would not get this product (which technically they aren't but still), I get the strong sense Nintendo wasn't sure if this would flop or fly as a product, and once they found out it's seemingly the former hopefully they were able to ramp up production some, or at least will have considerable restocks soon enough after release. I think Nintendo's rep of undershipping is in part exacerbated by the initial amiibo situation that was in part no fault of their own due to the west coast port strike.
Plus they probably just have no idea what to expect.

People had no interest in amiibo until reports of some like Wii Fit been rare. Wii U never got a bump in sales (well, outside a snall bump by Splatoon). 3DS is selling well, but not as well as expected.

They probably made this to have something ready for the "NX delay", not expecting much ... and turned out many wanted it.

Oh it's going to be huge, I was talking to some people at work about it and nearly all of em had heard about it and plan on getting one. Most of them aren't even that big into video games.

I think this thing is going to have absolutely insane market penetration.

Hatty

So I should be able to go to GameStop when it opens on Friday and get one right? My mom is really excited about this and I want to surprise her

Hawk269

It'd be nice if we had a list or good idea of who is actually getting physical stock in on Friday to buy since we couldn't frickin pre-order....

I'm assuming most if not all major retailers but this could become a needle in a haystack scenario trying to find one....

Toys "R" Us will have them Friday morning. Not sure of other retailers, but a few friends that work for TRU confirmed they already have them and will be ready for Friday morning.

Impulsor

Oh it's going to be huge, I was talking to some people at work about it and nearly all of em had heard about it and plan on getting one. Most of them aren't even that big into video games.

I think this thing is going to have absolutely insane market penetration.

But it isn't. Because Nintendo is only going to produce 5 of them per country. A lot of people are already trying to get one here and can't because there isn't any stock.

Yukinari

I like how Nintendo World just takes the piss out of yet another extremely limited item.

First it was a Kid Icarus Uprising card, then Hyrule Warriors collectors edition, then mario kart 8 blue shell trophy and now this.

"Be one of the first 250 people to give us 60 dollars"

Ordered from the Nintendo UK Store, but no dispatch just yet. Mine is bundled with the retro Mario plush so that could be delaying it slightly.

[edit]

It has since updated from Awaiting Stock Pick to Awaiting Dispatch so maybe it's going out today after all.

Celine

There was a brief preorder up again on Amazon UK today saying 11th. I preordered, and it said 11th all day. Was well happy. I checked again right now, and it says Dec. 1st delivery. God damn it.
My order at Amazon Italy too is scheduled for 29 Nov - 1 Dec.
At least I got a 10 euro discount.

Real bummer that we don't get World Cup. No real sports game in there other than temco bowl..
Yeah, I wish we europeans got Nintendo World Cup instead of Tecmo Bowl.

I like how Nintendo World just takes the piss out of yet another extremely limited item.

First it was a Kid Icarus Uprising card, then Hyrule Warriors collectors edition, then mario kart 8 blue shell trophy and now this.
amiibo came after all that and they listened to the demand for those.
I believe Nintendo didn't think the NES classic would be so popular. But let's wait. it's not even out yet.

maxcriden

So I should be able to go to GameStop when it opens on Friday and get one right? My mom is really excited about this and I want to surprise her

That's what my GS said, yeah, and they expect to have stock at opening - but I suggest you call yours the day before and check. Some GameStop stores are doing a reserve list sort of thing even though they aren't officially doing preorders and it's unclear how much they'll enforce it. So it's better to call and ask about all that IMO. Hope that helps and that you can easily get one for your mom!

Do we have any information on whether they'll produce more stock next year or whether this is a limited item?

Nope. At the least, it seems beyond the initial order more will probably come in this holiday season in terms of restocks as demand seems higher than Nintendo expected.

HeySeuss

Anybody get an shipping email from TRU yet? Put my preorder in before it got sold out so hoping I'll get it Friday but I'm not holding my breath.

Shiggy

Nope. At the least, it seems beyond the initial order more will probably come in this holiday season in terms of restocks as demand seems higher than Nintendo expected.

At least in Europe (Germany) it seems like even that stock has been sold out. I don't see any site where it can still be preordered. I hope that Game UK is gonna send me the two NES controllers that I ordered, not sure how reliable they are...

maxcriden

At least in Europe (Germany) it seems like even that stock has been sold out. I don't see any site where it can still be preordered. I hope that Game UK is gonna send me the two NES controllers that I ordered, not sure how reliable they are...

Stock is definitely sold through for preorders in US (where there were very few) and in EU at this point. I think any restock or additional stock beyond day one hasn't happened yet, but presumably they will make more for holiday season demand. The comments from Nintendo indicate they didn't anticipate how big a seller this would be, so I expect them to make more at least for the holidays. I also expect if it's anything like the US situation where many stores will have stock day one, stores in EU, especially those that didn't take preorders, hopefully will have stock. Though, unfortunately in your case IIRC you're not physically in the EU, right? So hopefully you can purchase one online soon.

Randam

people told me, Nintendo doesn't have the rights to Nintendo World Cup anymore?
that is why it was never released on VC too!?

Shiggy

Stock is definitely sold through for preorders in US (where there were very few) and in EU at this point. I think any restock or additional stock beyond day one hasn't happened yet, but presumably they will make more for holiday season demand. The comments from Nintendo indicate they didn't anticipate how big a seller this would be, so I expect them to make more at least for the holidays. I also expect if it's anything like the US situation where many stores will have stock day one, stores in EU, especially those that didn't take preorders, hopefully will have stock. Though, unfortunately in your case IIRC you're not physically in the EU, right? So hopefully you can purchase one online soon.

There's not gonna be more for the holidays in Germany at least. That stock has already been sold (or day 1 purchases got delayed). Amazon.de is extremely reliable in terms of preorders and even they cancelled or delayed some orders.

From what I've heard, stock in stores (at Media Markt/Saturn) is also limited, with them also not taking preorders for some time already.

Not sure if Nintendo simply didn't have the production capacity to get more stock on time. But it seemed rather obvious months ago already when online preorders sold out almost instantaneously.

Don't worry about me, I have my Amazon order which will be shipped tomorrow, and I hope Game UK will also ship the NES controllers I ordered last week.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ordered from the Nintendo UK Store, but no dispatch just yet. Mine is bundled with the retro Mario plush so that could be delaying it slightly.

I was on holiday when that bundle went up so I missed it. Have an Amazon order, but I've been tempted to cancel it and hope that when they get new stock (even if its in the new year) they'll bring the bundle back since other bundles with said plush/cushion are available.

maxcriden

There's not gonna be more for the holidays in Germany at least. That stock has already been sold (or day 1 purchases got delayed). Amazon.de is extremely reliable in terms of preorders and even they cancelled or delayed some orders.

From what I've heard, stock in stores (at Media Markt/Saturn) is also limited, with them also not taking preorders for some time already.

Not sure if Nintendo simply didn't have the production capacity to get more stock on time. But it seemed rather obvious months ago already when online preorders sold out almost instantaneously.

Don't worry about me, I have my Amazon order which will be shipped tomorrow, and I hope Game UK will also ship the NES controllers I ordered last week.

Hmm, I see. Well, is it not possible all initial stock sold and they'll have kore later in the holiday season? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure I understand how all stock sold now doesn't mean Nintendo will offer more stock to retailers later. Anyway, glad you got yours. Fingers crossed for your controllers to come also. :)

Shiggy

Hmm, I see. Well, is it not possible all initial stock sold and they'll have kore later in the holiday season? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure I understand how all stock sold now doesn't mean Nintendo will offer more stock to retailers later. Anyway, glad you got yours. Fingers crossed for your controllers to come also. :)

Retailers already got stock notices, and some people already got told they will only receive their systems in December. It's unlikely that, in let's say 4 weeks, Nintendo will just say "oh, we have found something here, you want it?", and suddenly new stock appears. From the retailers I follow, they say more stock may come in 2017, but they have no firm information and thus do no more preorders as of now.

Celine

The game was developed by Technos which also developed Double Dragon II included on NES CM.
Arc System should be the owner of the rights for Technos library.

Nekketsu High School Dodgeball Club: Soccer (japanese World Cup) is available on Virtual Console (Wii and Wii U) in Japan.

maxcriden

Retailers already got stock notices, and some people already got told they will only receive their systems in December. It's unlikely that, in let's say 4 weeks, Nintendo will just say "oh, we have found something here, you want it?", and suddenly new stock appears. From the retailers I follow, they say more stock may come in 2017, but they have no firm information and thus do no more preorders as of now.

I see. Thanks for the clarification. I'm not too familiar with how all that works. That's unfortunate then for those looking to buy during the holiday season. I hope to walk into GameStop Friday morning when they open and buy one.

D.Lo

There are many oddities like this.

Contra has had no VC releases... despite it being included in Contra 4. And the MSX2 version was released on Japanese VC too. It's very weird.

omg, hyped!

EcJc3Og.jpg

Edit: received one today from Nintendo for the site I write for, gonna play the living crap out of this one!!

JoeNut

Getting one for my birthday apparently, can't wait to play through donkey kong and the Mario's again, but other than those i've never played any of them, where do i start? Zelda?

Petrae

That's a negative. Given the allocation numbers that we've seen here-- and what I've heard locally-- the 10-15 units per store will likely go in the first 30 minutes of business.

So unless you want to camp out on Thursday night or get to your store (with no line) very early Friday morning... you may want to line up alternatives.

At least going by the anecdotal posts in this thread, walmart will have way more stock that gamestops so I would try there first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom