• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2014

wilflare

this is crazy T_T spent all my existing eShop credit to get more DDP :/
really sad the programme is ending

still need 200++ for another $5 but oh well guess I'm done

zroid

Banned
my favourite thing about DDP is that even though you ostensibly get back 10%, you are potentially getting 11.1%, since the credit earned can be applied toward the next code (and the next one). assuming you use the money on Wii U of course.

G0523

my favourite thing about DDP is that even though you ostensibly get back 10%, you are potentially getting 11.1%, since the credit earned can be applied toward the next code (and the next one). assuming you use the money on Wii U of course.

What about tax?

zigg

Why not 11.11111111111%

G0523

no, it doesn't count tax of course :p although many people don't have to pay tax on the eShop, and even those who do can evade all or most of it.

Really? That's...something I didn't know about. Lol. I don't get taxed on Amazon but I do on all three consoles' makertplaces. :/

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No tax on digital goods here.

Hell at its height I was saving 10% back from DDP, 6.25% from no sales tax, 20% off because of ultra cheap best buy cards.

The best single deal I got on the entire digital thing was getting Mario Kart 8 and NSMB Wii U. Both games retailed for 110, which would have cost 116.88.

Instead it actually cost me...

60-12=48!

48 dollars for both games, plus 10 dollars back (realistically, 12 dollars back) so in the end it only cost me 36 dollars.

Javier

Digital hauls? Sure.

Nintendo 3DS:

- 3DSware/Retail: 50
- 3D Classics: 7
- NES: 18
- GB/GBC: 21
- GBA: 10
- DSiWare: 33

Total: 139 digital games. (+35 games on cart = 174 total games)

No tax on digital goods here.

Hell at its height I was saving 10% back from DDP, 6.25% from no sales tax, 20% off because of ultra cheap best buy cards.

The best single deal I got on the entire digital thing was getting Mario Kart 8 and NSMB Wii U. Both games retailed for 110, which would have cost 116.88.

Instead it actually cost me...

60-12=48!

48 dollars for both games, plus 10 dollars back (realistically, 12 dollars back) so in the end it only cost me 36 dollars.

I went above that

5 off 10$ eshop card x 10+
+no sales tax (6%)
+DPP

Chopper

What the hell?! Thought I'd cracked my last DDP code by picking up 3D World, but it only registered as a £29.40 purchase! I still need 29 points. Duck Hunt should do it, right?

Why did that happen? Mario was definitely £34.99.

What the hell?! Thought I'd cracked my last DDP code by picking up 3D World, but it only registered as a £29.40 purchase! I still need 29 points. Duck Hunt should do it, right?

Why did that happen? Mario was definitely £34.99.

tax?

Buy Duck Hunt or some 4-5 dollar indie game

sörine

Banned
Faves: platformers...2D games...Zelda-likes...offbeat games. :) Thanks!!
Okay. 5 quick suggestions each platform for games not on Wii/3DS/U Virtual Consoles. Sticking to US releases, beware some can get pricey.

NES
-Crystalis (SNK) amazing action rpg, avoid the janky GBC port and get this
-Journey to Sillius (Sunsoft) excellent platformer with top tier soundtrack
-Legacy of the Wizard (Falcom) side scrolling arpg, super dense, hardcore
-The Guardian Legend (Compile) half shooter, half zelda, all awesome
-The Krion Conquest (Vic Tokai) basically Megaman

Genesis
-Contra Hardcorps (Konami) great run & gun, possibly the best Contra
-Crusader of Centy (Nextech) basically ALTTP with animal buddies, really underrated
-Quackshot starring Donald Duck (Sega) charming platformer that's locked in the vault
-Ranger-X (Nextech) beautiful mech side scroller
-Rocket Knight Adventures (Konami) Konami's best 16bit platformer

SNES/SFC
-Metal Warriors (Lucasarts) spiritual sequel to Cybernator, really good
-Secret of Evermore (Square USA) Mana's long lost cousin, unfairly underrated
-SkyBlazer (Sony) excellent platformer from the studio that went on to make boring car games
-Tetris Attack (Intelligent Systems) best puzzle game ever made
-The Twisted Tales of Spike McDang (Naxat) Zelda-ish adventure game starring a cute vampire, super Japanese

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
If I wasn't lazy (and it wasn't "pennies") I swear I'd call customer's care to get a fuckin' 5€ refund on Shovel Knight WiiU.
I've bought it 3 days ago (DDP ending) 'cause their pr said:
Shovel Knight: €9.99 | £8.66 until 31/12, then €14.99 | £12.99) (it was only if you own it on 3DS too)

"Then €14.99" my ass, it's now discounted to €9.99 until the 8th, without the need of owning the 3DS version. Basically wasted my DDP code with that prank, fuck off NOE will ya?

EDIT:
I'm trying to remember if that offer with the date and everything appeared on my WiiU's Gamepad tho? 'Cause I can't find the original NOE's pr at all.

Owari

I want to bite the bullet on Pokemon TCG on JP 3DS VC, but I'm afraid I won't be able to play cause of all the japanese. Hmm.

also

Banned
I can't imagine the sales were worth it form a cost perspective sadly (it is really sad but a lot of old games are essentially trapped behind this of it not being worth the cost to release them). Especially all the ratings required not to mention getting M2 to do their work.
IIRC, DLC doesn't have to be rated if it doesn't exceed the initial rating. Can't they just make a single app for each console and release it with the most violent/sexual game to get a high rating and then just release the other games as DLC, free of the rating cost?

Do all the games even have to be rated again? Searching on the PEGI website doesn't show the ratings of any Wii U virtual console games that were already released on the Wii, but it does show Earthbound which leads me to believe that publishers don't need to rerate games they previously released on VC.
For 3DS it's weird; some games are rated (Metroid, Balloon Fight), some aren't (Castlevania, Mega Man _)

also

Banned
I want to bite the bullet on Pokemon TCG on JP 3DS VC, but I'm afraid I won't be able to play cause of all the japanese. Hmm.
The vocabulary in the cards is quite limited

-asleep, poisoned, burned, paralyzed, confused, status conditions, damage counters
-flip a coin if heads/tails
-do X more/less damage, do X damage to yourself
-discard/draw X cards
-discard pile, deck, bench, prize cards
-basic Pokemo, stage 1, stage 2
-active Pokemon, defending Pokemon
-evolve, devolve, remove
-trainer, Pokemon, energy
-search

Ok, there are some more complicated pokepowers (Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur...) and attacks, but there aren't many of the them. If you understand the above basic expressions, you should be fine. Obviously you won't get much of the story, but it's really nothing special.
The only problem I see is that a NPC will asks you if he can get all your spare energy cards, so you should put them all into a dummy deck before talking to him. You could just say no but if you agree, he will give you something (I think an exclusive promo card). This is a one time only event.
ib29aAWilrGV8p.jpg

Later you can battle him. If you win you'll get a promo card, which is completely useless; it confuses your own Pokemon, which has no benefit whatsoever.

Owari

The vocabulary in the cards is quite limited

-asleep, poisoned, burned, paralyzed, confused, status conditions, damage counters
-flip a coin if heads/tails
-do X more/less damage, do X damage to yourself
-discard/draw X cards
-discard pile, deck, bench, prize cards
-basic Pokemo, stage 1, stage 2
-active Pokemon, defending Pokemon
-evolve, devolve, remove
-trainer, Pokemon, energy
-search

Ok, there are some more complicated pokepowers (Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur...) and attacks, but there aren't many of the them. If you understand the above basic expressions, you should be fine. Obviously you won't get much of the story, but it's really nothing special.
The only problem I see is that a NPC will asks you if he can get all your spare energy cards, so you should put them all into a dummy deck before talking to him. You could just say no but if you agree, he will give you something (I think an exclusive promo card). This is a one time only event.
ib29aAWilrGV8p.jpg

Later you can battle him. If you win you'll get a promo card, which is completely useless; it confuses your own Pokemon, which has no benefit whatsoever.

Well I played it when it first came out, so hopefully I remember a bit! Been looking fer a good VC game anyway! Thank you for the advice!

tebunker

Banned
Change your system zip code to Alaska. Been doing that for years. Zero tax.
Delaware works as well

Just curious... Is this legal? For example, I remember when filling out my state taxes last year, they asked me about internet purchases. If it's fine to do, cool, but it makes me nervous to try.

It is 100% fishy. You are responsible to pay your state sales tax on any and all purchases you made that aren't taxed. You have probably forgotten to pay those sales taxes many times. It is a nigh impossible law to enforce, and honeslty I can't recall anyone getting audited over it. The IRS doesn't enforce state law.

It would be a nightmare because, again how would they figure the end number, and then the amounts collected are not worth the expenses.

maxcriden

sörine;145435393 said:
Okay. 5 quick suggestions each platform for games not on Wii/3DS/U Virtual Consoles. Sticking to US releases, beware some can get pricey.

NES
-Crystalis (SNK) amazing action rpg, avoid the janky GBC port and get this
-Journey to Sillius (Sunsoft) excellent platformer with top tier soundtrack
-Legacy of the Wizard (Falcom) side scrolling arpg, super dense, hardcore
-The Guardian Legend (Compile) half shooter, half zelda, all awesome
-The Krion Conquest (Vic Tokai) basically Megaman

Genesis
-Contra Hardcorps (Konami) great run & gun, possibly the best Contra
-Crusader of Centy (Nextech) basically ALTTP with animal buddies, really underrated
-Quackshot starring Donald Duck (Sega) charming platformer that's locked in the vault
-Ranger-X (Nextech) beautiful mech side scroller
-Rocket Knight Adventures (Konami) Konami's best 16bit platformer

SNES/SFC
-Metal Warriors (Lucasarts) spiritual sequel to Cybernator, really good
-Secret of Evermore (Square USA) Mana's long lost cousin, unfairly underrated
-SkyBlazer (Sony) excellent platformer from the studio that went on to make boring car games
-Tetris Attack (Intelligent Systems) best puzzle game ever made
-The Twisted Tales of Spike McDang (Naxat) Zelda-ish adventure game starring a cute vampire, super Japanese

Those all sound amazing. Thank you so much! I'll try to pick them up ASAP. :)

Empty

i'm 8 points off on my nintendo network premium fml

is there a wii u eshop games like gunman clive that's cheap and worthwhile

zigg

It is 100% fishy. You are responsible to pay your state sales tax on any and all purchases you made that aren't taxed. You have probably forgotten to pay those sales taxes many times. It is a nigh impossible law to enforce, and honeslty I can't recall anyone getting audited over it. The IRS doesn't enforce state law.

It would be a nightmare because, again how would they figure the end number, and then the amounts collected are not worth the expenses.
This is a pretty good summary of how it works, yeah. It's state tax law. In Michigan, one is required to total up untaxed yet taxable purchases made in another state (or apply a rule that comes up with a number based on other numbers on your income tax return) and pay that as "use tax".

I'd add that if one thinks paying sales tax on eShop purchases is silly, the thing one should be doing is getting your state legislature to repeal the tax, not trying to make illegal end-runs around it.

maxcriden

what do you like about it?

nintendolife gave it a 4/10. not that they are the alpha and omega of how good a game is, i'll happily take a gaffers opinion over them. just curious.

I generally trust and agree with them, but as a fellow GAFer made the game, I was glad to give it a shot regardless. I think it has a fun and addictive quality to it, and a charming artstyle.

If it doesn't appeal to you, though, I think Cosmophony is well worth the $4 for an Amplitude-esque rails rhythm shooter. It's pretty rad.

Empty

I generally trust and agree with them, but as a fellow GAFer made the game, I was glad to give it a shot regardless. I think it has a fun and addictive quality to it, and a charming artstyle.

If it doesn't appeal to you, though, I think Cosmophony is well worth the $4 for an Amplitude-esque rails rhythm shooter. It's pretty rad.

thanks!

tebunker

Banned
what do you like about it?

nintendolife gave it a 4/10. not that they are the alpha and omega of how good a game is, i'll happily take a gaffers opinion over them. just curious.

Sorry I am just going to go out and say it for the 1000th time, Nintendolife does not write good reviews. I don't feel like they are thorough, well written, or well edited. Yes it is a fan site but they can try to be better. I get the feeling of that a lot of their reviews are half assed. It is a shame that more sites don't review more eshop content b/c NL is one of the few that do review everything, and that does make them a resource at least.

Zacisa's is a solid tower defense style game with a unique art style and okay music. It is what it is. I am not claiming it to be some amazing thing or best game ever but I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it for the price.

Also like you I will take the opinion here over near anywhere else. Max has played like everything, and now I kind of want Cosmophony

Experien

Just got my 8th code from DDP because the Zelda DLC...I don't think I'll have time, HDD, or idea to fill up 410 points for another code.

Experien

Maryland works, honestly surprised me we dont pay taxes on it.

So do purchases today count toward DPP or not?

I am in MD too. You only pay tax for stuff if there is a PHYSICAL store/business residence in your state.

As for everyone wondering about DDP today...of course it works! Why wouldn't it?

The site doesn't close tomorrow. Today is the last day to make any eShop purchases to get credit...sure it takes time to process your purchases but as it says, you have until June 2015 to redeem your $5 cards. And they don't expire.

I am in MD too. You only pay tax for stuff if there is a PHYSICAL store/business residence in your state.

As for everyone wondering about DDP today...of course it works! Why wouldn't it?

The site doesn't close tomorrow. Today is the last day to make any eShop purchases to get credit...sure it takes time to process your purchases but as it says, you have until June 2015 to redeem your $5 cards. And they don't expire.

It says on site before December 31st

tebunker

Banned
This is true in almost every state. For instance Amazon doesn't collect sales tax in any state where they don't have a physical site.

Nintendo just seems to be overly aggressive in collecting the sales tax. They actually have little legal responsibility to do so since they do not have a location in every state.

See Steam for a perfect example, they only collect for WA residents.

***### Note I am not recommending or advising anyone avoid paying sales tax, I am merely discussing the facts and the absurdity and inconsistency in the law ###***

I made it, I managed to get my last NNP code. Sadly I decided Dr. Luigi would be the last game to do it with. Immediately after buying it I remembered "won't this go on sale sometime?" then I went to play it thinking "at least Operation L will be cool". Operation L sucks. Its faster paced only because there are so few viruses in the playing area. Made even more bizarre by the fact it lets you play after virus 20 (and saves your progress) but it never puts more than 40 viruses into the bottle. Of course if it had classic levels of viruses it would be RNG hell.

I really should have just stuck with Dr.Mario 64 (or at least the Nintendo Puzzle Collection port of it) and just said fuck it to that NNP code so the moral of story is don't do things on impulse and don't leave them till the last minute.

terrisus

I made it, I managed to get my last NNP code. Sadly I decided Dr. Luigi would be the last game to do it with. Immediately after buying it I remembered "won't this go on sale sometime?" then I went to play it thinking "at least Operation L will be cool". Operation L sucks. Its faster paced only because there are so few viruses in the playing area. Made even more bizarre by the fact it lets you play after virus 20 (and saves your progress) but it never puts more than 40 viruses into the bottle. Of course if it had classic levels of viruses it would be RNG hell.

I really should have just stuck with Dr.Mario 64 (or at least the Nintendo Puzzle Collection port of it) and just said fuck it to that NNP code so the moral of story is don't do things on impulse and don't leave them till the last minute.

You can never have enough copies of Dr. Mario <3

Dr. Mario 64 is kind of spoiled for me due to the fact that I was playing it with my sister when we got the call that our cat had to be put to sleep =(

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So if I use my free 24hours trial ticket for Wii U Sports Clubs for tennis and golf, do I need the Wii U to be online to be allowed to play them? Or I can just DL and active the trial and then bring the console with me and play wherever even if without an Internet connection?

So I'm really torn guys, and I could use some opinions. The eshop sales right now have some tempting offers for me. Namely on Wii U, the Lego games have been catching my eye because I do really enjoy the Lego games, HOWEVER...I had bought and played Lego Hobbit on Wii U, and I was pretty disappointed with the inconsistent framerate. I rarely notice stuff like that, but it just seemed like it choppy to me at times, and was such a distraction.

Lego Movie, and Lego Batman 3 being on sale are what I've been looking, but are either one of them worth getting on Wii U? or are they as technically flawed as the other Lego game I played.

I did pick up some eshop only games that were on sale that I've been meaning to check out like Armillo, Stick it to the Man, and Paper Monsters Recut.

There isn't really much on sale for 3DS that is blowing me away, except the usual Atlus games like Etrian Odyssey which I always consider buying, but never do. I just don't know if I'd like that game or not. I like certain RPGs, but I prefer a strong narrative like something such as Persona 4.

So I'm really torn guys, and I could use some opinions. The eshop sales right now have some tempting offers for me. Namely on Wii U, the Lego games have been catching my eye because I do really enjoy the Lego games, HOWEVER...I had bought and played Lego Hobbit on Wii U, and I was pretty disappointed with the inconsistent framerate. I rarely notice stuff like that, but it just seemed like it choppy to me at times, and was such a distraction.

Lego Movie, and Lego Batman 3 being on sale are what I've been looking, but are either one of them worth getting on Wii U? or are they as technically flawed as the other Lego game I played.

I did pick up some eshop only games that were on sale that I've been meaning to check out like Armillo, Stick it to the Man, and Paper Monsters Recut.

There isn't really much on sale for 3DS that is blowing me away, except the usual Atlus games like Etrian Odyssey which I always consider buying, but never do. I just don't know if I'd like that game or not. I like certain RPGs, but I prefer a strong narrative like something such as Persona 4.

I got the lego movie last night as well, havent tried it out yet though.

tebunker

Banned
So if I use my free 24hours trial ticket for Wii U Sports Clubs for tennis and golf, do I need the Wii U to be online to be allowed to play them? Or I can just DL and active the trial and then bring the console with me and play wherever even if without an Internet connection?

I know when you are connected it check constantly for the "license" I have no idea how that will work offline

I got the lego movie last night as well, havent tried it out yet though.

Wait...the lego sale is over, isn't it? Well shit, I guess that answers my question.

I wasn't able to get to gamestop to use my gift card any sooner then this morning because I've been stuck at home with the damn flu :(

Well now I got $40 eshop credit that I really don't know what to do with.

BooJoh

Wait...the lego sale is over, isn't it? Well shit, I guess that answers my question.

I wasn't able to get to gamestop to use my gift card any sooner then this morning because I've been stuck at home with the damn flu :(

Well now I got $40 eshop credit that I really don't know what to do with.

This probably isn't much help to you now, and it wasn't even part of the sale, but if you haven't played it Lego City Undercover is probably the best Lego game on Wii U (if not the best Lego game, period.) It's like 17GB or something to download though.

This probably isn't much help to you now, and it wasn't even part of the sale, but if you haven't played it Lego City Undercover is probably the best Lego game on Wii U (if not the best Lego game, period.) It's like 17GB or something to download though.

I played it briefly before, and yeah I'd love to get it on eshop because I'm one of those weird people who has bought almost all of my games on Wii U digitally. Games that I've bought on release day have always been on eshop cuz it saved me from going to a stupid place like gamestop or walmart.

However, for Lego City, even though I would love to get the game...I just can't stand that after almost 2 years, it hasn't gone on sale or down in price once. I want to buy it, I want to give them my money, but I can't justify it when they don't give a deal on it of any kind, when it can be found cheaper physically. Same reason why I still don't own Need for Speed, Warriors Orochi, or Batman Arkham City on Wii U. Would love to add them to my Wii U hard drive, but not when they don't lower the damn price.

Top Bottom