• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2014

maxcriden

Have you ever wanted to invent the telephone? Or win an eating contest in a castle? Or spend a wild night with a deer? Or climb mountains with a lion cub? Or wake up in a zombie town? Or save a mermaid? Fight robots in the skies
(Transformers pun intended)
? Or invent hamburgers? Yes? Play Terrangima :D

Um. Well. It depends what you mean by "invent hamburgers" :-/

terrisus

kcxqJH4.gif

I will not let you sully my memories of Dark Souls or Kingdom Hearts!

Psh, you don't even have an Earthbound avatar anymore, I don't even know who you are anymore :þ
<3

Chrom

I did some snooping around... I managed to find the Australian version of the operations manual for the New Nintendo 3DS/XL online. Here's what the PDF from Nintendo Australia's site says:

Up to 40 Nintendo DSiWare titles can be stored in the system memory and up to 300 downloadable software titles can be stored on a microSD card

Unfortunately, it looks like the same limitations on how many software can be stored on a regular 3DS/XL at one time are retained on the New 3DS/XL. Sorry terrisus!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh, New 3DS takes Micro SD cards? Completely forgot about that. Guess I'll buy a 32GB one when I see one on sale to prepare for it coming to the US.

sörine

Banned
Well NintenGAF, I'm pretty close to picking up a used Retron 5. That means I will be in the market for NES and SNES, as well as Famicom and Super Famicom, gems that are not available on VC in NA. I'd love to hear suggestions, especially from sörine but from anyone! It can also play Genesis and MD games so I'd love suggestions on that front, too. Thanks all!
Give me what genres you like?

Regarding stuff mentioned before SD3 is great and if you want to play it in english you can find repro carts with the english fantranslation (often called Secret of Mana 2). There's also NTSC Terranigma repros if you don't want to deal with PAL nastiness or the high price. Actually most of the fantranslated SNES JRPGs have repros floating around out there (FFV, Tactics Ogre, Tales of Phantasia, etc).

TheMoon

Nothing that involves hurting animals. It's strictly a kitchen affair :D

You also save the animal kingdom and are besties with a lion!

Oh, New 3DS takes Micro SD cards? Completely forgot about that. Guess I'll buy a 32GB one when I see one on sale to prepare for it coming to the US.

Yup, and ONLY microSD cards!

terrisus

I did some snooping around... I managed to find the Australian version of the operations manual for the New Nintendo 3DS/XL online. Here's what the PDF from Nintendo Australia's site says:

Unfortunately, it looks like the same limitations on how many software can be stored on a regular 3DS/XL at one time are retained on the New 3DS/XL. Sorry terrisus!

Boo =(

More fridge juggling to come in the future then, I guess >.>

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wait, so how does one transfer content from a 3DS to New 3DS if one's SD & the other's Micro SD? Would I need to get something that lets me put a micro SD card into a normal sized SD card?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wait, so how does one transfer content from a 3DS to New 3DS if one's SD & the other's Micro SD? Would I need to get something that lets me put a micro SD card into a normal sized SD card?

You can do it over the intertrons. It takes...a long ass time. You can also do a version of it that only transfers licenses and save files and it takes much less time.

TheMoon

put SD contents onto PC then onto microSD. the whole process is detailed in the New 3DS manual and also the UI when initiating the transfer, afaik.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You can do it over the intertrons. It takes...a long ass time. You can also do a version of it that only transfers licenses and save files and it takes much less time.

put SD contents onto PC then onto microSD. the whole process is detailed in the New 3DS manual and also the UI when initiating the transfer, afaik.
Ah, okay. I'm familiar with being able to switch SD cards via transfering the content on PC (I upgraded from the 2GB to 16GB), but wasn't sure if it'd work on a different system.

Buying some VC games, I have a lot all ready, but want to get some more DPP points before it ends.

Considering getting Nobunga's Amibition and Romance of the Three Kingdoms 4, if I liked Genghis Khan 2 on the SNES will I like the other Koei strategy games?

Also any other VC recommendations?

terrisus

There are also MicroSD -> SDCard adapters, where you put the MicroSD card inside of an SDCard shell, at which point it acts essentially the same as a full-size SDCard

M4Zh3UT.jpg

terrisus

Buying some VC games, I have a lot all ready, but want to get some more DPP points before it ends.

Considering getting Nobunga's Amibition and Romance of the Three Kingdoms 4, if I liked Genghis Khan 2 on the SNES will I like the other Koei strategy games?

Oh, hey, another Genghis Khan 2 fan!
I love that game <3

Sadly, I haven't really put any time in with Nobunaga's Ambition or Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV, so I can't reallu compare.
I'd say they're both worth getting though (I have them... I just haven't really put any time in with them >.>)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There are also MicroSD -> SDCard adapters, where you put the MicroSD card inside of an SDCard shell, at which point it acts essentially the same as a full-size SDCard

M4Zh3UT.jpg
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. I'll look tomorrow in town since it seems they don't cost that much (I saw about $12-$17 for 32GB on Amazon).

Oh, hey, another Genghis Khan 2 fan!
I love that game <3

Sadly, I haven't really put any time in with Nobunaga's Ambition or Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV, so I can't reallu compare.
I'd say they're both worth getting though (I have them... I just haven't really put any time in with them >.>)

Its a great game, wish it was on the wii u vc, strategy games are near perfect for the controller.

TheMoon

M4Zh3UT.jpg

I've been using one of these with my regular 3DS for quite some time. I recommend just switching over to this before doing the New 3DS transfer so you can just use the same card.

tebunker

Banned

Maybe?

I am an unabashed Koei Strategy and History series fan. I owned all the NES and SNES games. Khan was more the beginners intro to that type of game.

It was pretty easy to manage and play. There is a depth to Khan that emerges over time.

Both ROTK and NA are a lot more obtuse up front. They do not explain their functions and rules up front. It will take more trial and error and maybe some faq reading. However, ultimately if you like grand strategy like games both of those are lighter versions of that. So it would be natural to move up to them from Khan.

You know what I want now is some effing Gemfire. Preferably the Genesis version for shits and giggles.

So yeah give one of them or both a try. Also if you've played any of the Warriors games either Dynasty or Samurai or Orochi you will see a lot of familiar names/characters

Tizoc

Sega is supposed to roll out their next wave of 3D Classics "early 2015" (the second wave have been out forever in Japan). Would be nice if we got some on Thurs/New Year's day, I'm dying to play Fantasy Zone 3D.

Man if we can get them starting this Thurs...hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng
I NEED DAT OUTRUN SON!

Well, what should be my final eShop $5 credit was unlocked in my DDP account early this afternoon. Got $25 dollars worth of DDP codes over the past few years. Not bad considering 90% of it was from VC & indie titles, only retail download I have is Pikmin 3. But yeah, unless I download Capt Toad and ten dollars of additional eShop content within the next 24 hours then I'm done. Great service, wish they'd extend it.

Chrom

I've been a mere 29 points away from my last DDP code for a while, so to squeeze that last drop, I decided to pick up Pikmin Short Movies HD today, and will use the $5 to fund my purchase of the 3D version. Even though I was interested in watching these movies on my Wii U and 3DS, I personally didn't like the idea of paying for both individually, so it feels nice knowing that I'll essentially be getting both for the price of one.

Zeeman

These threads have been great for keeping up with the eShop, particularly since Nintendo was always really bad about telling us about sales and whatnot. It's not much, and a lot of people probably already have it, but here's a little something as a token of appreciation, and to end the year well:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Zeeman:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=942436.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zeeman, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

x0NgVuQ.png
Super Mario Bros. 3 (eshop) -- MB-C900BEFD815DD68B - Taken by MissileTrick. 13 entrants total.

t1419989260z1.png

This is a North American 3DS code.

3DS Haul

128 GB SD

Retail-Digital Download: 37
3DS Ware: 102
DSiWare: 46
Game Boy: 41
Game Boy Color: 16
Game Boy Advance: 10
Game Gear: 12
NES: 37

Total: 301

Need to check my Wii U later, alot of my stuff isn't downloaded at the moment due to my portable Hard Drive for it dieing on me :/

maxcriden

These threads have been great for keeping up with the eShop, particularly since Nintendo was always really bad about telling us about sales and whatnot. It's not much, and a lot of people probably already have it, but here's a little something as a token of appreciation, and to end the year well:

This is a North American 3DS code.

Zeeman, that is so kind of you. Thank you! I've gone ahead and entered since I don't have this on 3DS. :)

I love giveaways on GAFs, doing them or entering them. It's a good feeling to participate in them either way. I hope to do more in the future myself.

Chrom

Since others have already been doing it, I'd also like to share a count of the games I have saved on my systems. It seems quite smaller than what most people here seem to have, haha.

3DS (32GB)
Retail: 12
eShop: 12
DSiWare: 27
NES: 11
GB: 14
GBC: 6
GBA: 10
Total: 92

Wii U (500GB)
Retail: 8
eShop: 9
NES: 13
SNES: 7
GBA: 5
Total: 42

I can't see myself upgrading my Wii U storage anytime soon, but I feel like by the end of next year or the year after, I'll likely want to upgrade the SD card for my 3DS. I'm sure 64GB cards will be cheaper by then.

terrisus

Well I did grow up like 15 minutes from where he said that and went to St. John's several times, neat place... So it is fitting :-D

Glad someone got the reference.

It's a decent game, even if much less polished than Genghis Khan 2.
I definitely like the setting of it (I'm from western Massachusetts)

Now that I think about it, I wanna know what happened with Game Gear support. I was really hoping to try out the GG versions of Dynamite Headdy & Gunstar Heroes.
I can't imagine the sales were worth it form a cost perspective sadly (it is really sad but a lot of old games are essentially trapped behind this of it not being worth the cost to release them). Especially all the ratings required not to mention getting M2 to do their work.

Hopefully the New 3DS fixes this >.>
Protip: The system settings manual in the 3DS has info on the New 3DS and 2DS (it is the same OS basically so the same manual).

Also the 300 number doesn't include channels with the system or DSiWare it would seem...

I've been a mere 29 points away from my last DDP code for a while, so to squeeze that last drop, I decided to pick up Pikmin Short Movies HD today, and will use the $5 to fund my purchase of the 3D version. Even though I was interested in watching these movies on my Wii U and 3DS, I personally didn't like the idea of paying for both individually, so it feels nice knowing that I'll essentially be getting both for the price of one.
Apparently the 3D effect is really weak and not worth bothering with.

Chrom

Protip: The system settings manual in the 3DS has info on the New 3DS and 2DS (it is the same OS basically so the same manual).

Oh, that's neat. That doesn't seem to be true on 9.4.0-21U though, unfortunately. I just checked on mine (US here) and there doesn't appear to be any mention of the New 3DS anywhere.

G0523

Welp, I'm finally done with Nintendo's DDP. Bought Castlevania: Circle of the Moon and Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (already have Aria of Sorrow) and NES Remix 2 since I already have NES Remix 1. My total points earned is 1166. I've redeemed 2 $5 codes and still have 166 points left over, and I will not spend $30 more dollars to get another $5 code. It was fun! Hopefully Nintendo will do something like this again in the future (but we all know better).

Maybe?

I am an unabashed Koei Strategy and History series fan. I owned all the NES and SNES games. Khan was more the beginners intro to that type of game.

It was pretty easy to manage and play. There is a depth to Khan that emerges over time.

Both ROTK and NA are a lot more obtuse up front. They do not explain their functions and rules up front. It will take more trial and error and maybe some faq reading. However, ultimately if you like grand strategy like games both of those are lighter versions of that. So it would be natural to move up to them from Khan.

You know what I want now is some effing Gemfire. Preferably the Genesis version for shits and giggles.

So yeah give one of them or both a try. Also if you've played any of the Warriors games either Dynasty or Samurai or Orochi you will see a lot of familiar names/characters

Thanks, I play a lot of grand strategy (Paradox games counts as that right?) Will probably pick one up tonight and the other tommorrow.

tebunker

Banned
Glad someone got the reference.

It's a decent game, even if much less polished than Genghis Khan 2.
I definitely like the setting of it (I'm from western Massachusetts)

I wish the game was better mind you. It was weird playing a game about events that took place where I lived, and putting all that together. It was a challenging game.

Damn you K-T, why can't I have the rest of this damned Historical/Strategy series on VC

maxcriden

sörine;145376011 said:
Give me what genres you like?

Regarding stuff mentioned before SD3 is great and if you want to play it in english you can find repro carts with the english fantranslation (often called Secret of Mana 2). There's also NTSC Terranigma repros if you don't want to deal with PAL nastiness or the high price. Actually most of the fantranslated SNES JRPGs have repros floating around out there (FFV, Tactics Ogre, Tales of Phantasia, etc).

Faves: platformers...2D games...Zelda-likes...offbeat games. :) Thanks!!

Nothing that involves hurting animals. It's strictly a kitchen affair :D

You also save the animal kingdom and are besties with a lion!

Alright, that sounds amazing. Must play!!

neat giveaway, good luck to all!

Congrats MissileTrick! Couldn't have gone to a nicer guy =)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I can't imagine the sales were worth it form a cost perspective sadly (it is really sad but a lot of old games are essentially trapped behind this of it not being worth the cost to release them). Especially all the ratings required not to mention getting M2 to do their work.

Also the 300 number doesn't include channels with the system or DSiWare it would seem...

Apparently the 3D effect is really weak and not worth bothering with.

Honestly, it pains me to say it but the Pikmins shorts are such a letdown.
The only decently cute one is the first one.
The others just drag on too much and they aren't funny at all. Of course I love the little dudes are the wonderful flora and fauna of the world but man even with my deepest love for the series I wouldn't recommend anyone to actually spend money on them.
Also, avoid the 3DS version at all costs if you're doing it for the stereoscopic effect.

maxcriden

Honestly, it pains me to say it but the Pikmins shorts are such a letdown.
The only decently cute one is the first one.
The others just drag on too much and they aren't funny at all. Of course I love the little dudes are the wonderful flora and fauna of the world but man even with my deepest love for the series I wouldn't recommend anyone to actually spend money on them.
Also, avoid the 3DS version at all costs if you're doing it for the stereoscopic effect.

I wasn't really into that building one, but I did like the glass jar one. The carrot one was eh. I felt like only the glass jar one captured the cuteness of Pikmin for me.

Got Nobunga, definitely need a FAQ after being killed before my turn and in the next game on turn 1.

I like the controls though, when I get to understand it a bit better, I think I will really enjoy it.

Top Bottom