• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - December 2014

I also included a note in every CN VC survey regarding lack of additional systems such as TG-16, Genny, N64, ect I try to phrase it in a "polite yet firm" tone, along the lines of, 'I still like VC but where's the rest of the content? Could you guys please work on this more somehow? Maybe contact third parties and see if they'd be willing to bring more VC games?'

Would me writing my message in broken Japanese get better results?

Because I fill out those surveys and will write a paragraph explaining how idiotic the long term strategy of trickling VC releases is, but I don't think NOA listens.

maxcriden

Would me writing my message in broken Japanese get better results?

Because I fill out those surveys and will write a paragraph explaining how idiotic the long term strategy of trickling VC releases is, but I don't think NOA listens.

You can write broken Japanese, too? We should study together.

(I don't think NOA will forward our poor Japanese writings to NCL, though.)

terrisus

Let's see here... I've got:

Full games: 24
eShop: 21
3D Classics: 7
DSiWare: 20
GBA: 10
NES: 39
GB: 35
GBC: 18
GG: 6

Total: 180

>.>

To finish the Wii U half of this:

Full Games: 11
WiiU Ware: 14
NES: 19
SNES: 30
GBA: 12

Total: 86

Total for 3DS + Wii U = 266

tebunker

Banned
I also included a note in every CN VC survey regarding lack of additional systems such as TG-16, Genny, N64, ect I try to phrase it in a "polite yet firm" tone, along the lines of, 'I still like VC but where's the rest of the content? Could you guys please work on this more somehow? Maybe contact third parties and see if they'd be willing to bring more VC games?'

I do about the same. I don't know if it makes any difference. We know that NOA has limited inputs, but honestly can they not get NCL to get the Japanese equivalents to push their NA counterparts?

I still just want a more fully fleshed out TG16 library and any other random console we could get. Stuff like Genesis games are easy to get now, and cheap like with Steam, but Neo Geo and TG, MSX, C64 etc etc are harder and harder to come by

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Now that I think about it, I wanna know what happened with Game Gear support. I was really hoping to try out the GG versions of Dynamite Headdy & Gunstar Heroes.

maxcriden

Well NintenGAF, I'm pretty close to picking up a used Retron 5. That means I will be in the market for NES and SNES, as well as Famicom and Super Famicom, gems that are not available on VC in NA. I'd love to hear suggestions, especially from sörine but from anyone! It can also play Genesis and MD games so I'd love suggestions on that front, too. Thanks all!

terrisus

Some of you might run into trouble in the coming years, last I heard the 3DS won't let you install more than 300 items regardless of SD card space.

sörine;145343668 said:
Is this true? In another thread Colonel Mustard mentioned having 310 games on his 3DS.

I think that's for the Vita. Wait, no, Vita has a 100 app limit. 3DS seems to have 300, from what I'm hearing.

Tracking that link back to its source, and looking around, leads to the Nintendo 3DS manual

(Up to 300 software titles can be saved to an SD Card.)

You can save up to 300 downloadable software titles on an SD Card. (This number will depend on the data size of the
software title and the capacity of the SD Card you are using.)

You can save a maximum of 300 Nintendo 3DS Download Software titles and Virtual Console titles on an SD Card.

• The maximum number of Nintendo DSiWare applications that can be saved to System Memory is 40.
• The maximum number of Nintendo 3DS applications or extra data files that can be saved to an SD Card is 300.

Hopefully the New 3DS fixes this >.>

terrisus

Well NintenGAF, I'm pretty close to picking up a used Retron 5. That means I will be in the market for NES and SNES, as well as Famicom and Super Famicom, gems that are not available on VC in NA. I'd love to hear suggestions, especially from sörine but from anyone! It can also play Genesis and MD games so I'd love suggestions on that front, too. Thanks all!

Lufia 1 and 2 for SNES
Absolutely amazing games.

SerTapTap

Started Weapon Shop de Omasse, I made one of each weapon available, should I keep making more or what? Game seems decently funny but I'm not sure how big of a deal losing quests will end up being.

Live a Live.

Seiken Densetsu 3

Mother 3

There's a lot of stuff that didn't make it to the West.

sörine

Banned
Now that I think about it, I wanna know what happened with Game Gear support. I was really hoping to try out the GG versions of Dynamite Headdy & Gunstar Heroes.
Sega and M2 decided to move on to their 3D Remaster Project.

I wouldn't mind more GG games, and SMS games while they're at it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Started Weapon Shop de Omasse, I made one of each weapon available, should I keep making more or what? Game seems decently funny but I'm not sure how big of a deal losing quests will end up being.
Eventually, after the major characters complete their quests, you'll have the ability to make even more powerful weapons. Personally, one of each is fine, but might be a good idea to make a spare if someone takes one just in case someone else appears & want something similar. Or maybe try to "buff" one that matches the character's attack style.

SerTapTap

Eventually, after the major characters complete their quests, you'll have the ability to make even more powerful weapons. Personally, one of each is fine, but might be a good idea to make a spare if someone takes one just in case someone else appears & want something similar. Or maybe try to "buff" one that matches the character's attack style.

Is it possible to influence which stats get buffed? Stat improvements when smithing seem minor (for now? Does that change?) and random, all other buffs also appear random. And it seems just successfully completing quests (then polishing) matters the most for performance?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You'll eventually get materials that can improve a certain stat or increase your chances of raising them before making them. As for WHILE making the weapon, I couldn't figure it out.

Thanks guys. Are those all RPGs? I'm not generally a big JRPG guy. (Seiken Densetsu doesn't ring a bell at all, though.)

I can't think of much else you won't find in the US, but most games that made a Western release will be crazy overpriced. You will find more supply of those same games in Japan though.

maxcriden

I can't think of much else you won't find in the US, but most games that made a Western release will be crazy overpriced. You will find more supply of those same games in Japan though.

Ah, okay. I figure most Western release games will not be that pricy for the kind of stuff I'm looking for. That Mickey Mouse game for SNES for example is cheap on eBay. There's also B/S/T here, CAG and GameTZ for deals. I dunno, it seems like loose carts are pretty cheap for pre-N64 games these days.

Ah, okay. I figure most Western release games will not be that pricy for the kind of stuff I'm looking for. That Mickey Mouse game for SNES for example is cheap on eBay. There's also B/S/T here, CAG and GameTZ for deals. I dunno, it seems like loose carts are pretty cheap for pre-N64 games these days.

It all depends on what you're looking for.

You won't find a cart of Earthbound for less than $100 nowadays.

terrisus

Thanks guys. Are those all RPGs? I'm not generally a big JRPG guy. (Seiken Densetsu doesn't ring a bell at all, though.)

Ah. Yeah, if you're not that into JRPGs, that changes my suggestion list significantly >.>

I think I read about it on terrisus.com.

ohyou.jpg

maxcriden

It all depends on what you're looking for.

You won't find a cart of Earthbound for less than $100 nowadays.

I see. Well, I suppose I just figured most games like that were either obscure to the point of not being of interest to me, or already on VC anyway. It's really more any non-VC games I'm interested in, they definitely don't have to be expensive (preferably not, in fact) or Japanese-only.

tolkir

Seiken Densetsu 2 is Secret of Mana.

Seiken Densetsu 3 is the sequel never localized.

Some localized recommendations:
Terranigma, Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, Soul Blazer

maxcriden

Seiken Densetsu 2 is Secret of Mana.

Seiken Densetsu 3 is the sequel never localized.

Some localized recommendations:
Terranigma, Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, Soul Blazer

Oh, thanks tolkir! I've always been interested in Terranigma. That one isn't turn-based, right?

Are Illusion of Gaia...is that one associated with Secret of Mana at all? I always had thought it was but maybe it's just the similar title.

I didn't realize Soul Blazer was on any non-PSX system but now that I write this I'm probably thinking of Soul Reaver, which always looked like it had a neat story but wayyyy more violent than I care for.

Note that Terranigma was only localized into English in PAL regions.

I think the R5 is region-free, though.

I see. Well, I suppose I just figured most games like that were either obscure to the point of not being of interest to me, or already on VC anyway. It's really more any non-VC games I'm interested in, they definitely don't have to be expensive (preferably not, in fact) or Japanese-only.

Well, there's a huge library to choose from with the Retron.

Edit: I was wrong. The controllers are wireless.

maxcriden

Well, there's a huge library to choose from with the Retron. The only big loss is for 2 player games, so no fighting games or Mario Kart.

I see. Yeah, we (my wife and I) usually play SP games together so that's no big deal. Plenty of current MP games like MK8 on hand if we feel the need. Mostly we trade off levels or segments of games. Anyway, I realize it's a massive library; just was wondering if there are non-VC games in particular I should be keeping an eye out for that people considered their faves. :)

terrisus

Well, just as far as searching for it goes.

Also, even if it's region-free, does it take care of the whole "50hz/60hz" thing?
(I honestly don't know)

Oh, thanks tolkir! I've always been interested in Terranigma. That one isn't turn-based, right?

Are Illusion of Gaia...is that one associated with Secret of Mana at all? I always had thought it was but maybe it's just the similar title.

I didn't realize Soul Blazer was on any non-PSX system but now that I write this I'm probably thinking of Soul Reaver, which always looked like it had a neat story but wayyyy more violent than I care for.

Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma are part of one series.
Secret of Mana is something unrelated.
And, yeah, you're probably thinking of Soul Reaver, or something else at least.

Sega is supposed to roll out their next wave of 3D Classics "early 2015" (the second wave have been out forever in Japan). Would be nice if we got some on Thurs/New Year's day, I'm dying to play Fantasy Zone 3D.

tolkir

Terranigma is ARPG.
Soul Blazer is Enix and Secret of Mana is Squaresoft. Not associated at all.

Maybe you has heard about Soul Blazer Trilogy (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma) because they're developed by the same developer. Gameplay and other elements are similar too.
Although they're different IPs.

Edit: Beaten. :p

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh right, 3D After Burner II is the first game in the 2nd wave of Sega's 3D Classics. Hopefully, we'll get it in Jan. then hear of the exact order. Wanna get Outrun & the Fantasy Zone games.

Also hope we'll get a sale on the first wave. Kind of surprised it hasn't happened considering how they love to put their stuff on sale on PSN & XBLA.

maxcriden

Terranigma is ARPG.
Soul Blazer is Enix and Secret of Mana is Squaresoft. Not associated at all.

Maybe you has heard about Soul Blazer Trilogy (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma) because they're developed by the same developer. Gameplay and other elements are similar too.
Although they're different IPs.

Edit: Beaten. :p

Oh neat, thanks tolkir! I'll be glad to check those out. :)

TheMoon

I didn't realize Soul Blazer was on any non-PSX system but now that I write this I'm probably thinking of Soul Reaver, which always looked like it had a neat story but wayyyy more violent than I care for..

Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia (Time in EU), Terranigma are Enix games (made by Quintet, also responsible for Actraiser)

The Mana (Seiken Densetsu) series is Squaresoft.

The Soul Blazer trilogy has a lot of similarities with classic 2D Zelda in the ALTTP vein. If you have any love for those, play them. Most importantly play Terranigma. It's the Scram Kitty of the SNES :p

maxcriden

Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia (Time in EU), Terranigma are Enix games (made by Quintet, also responsible for Actraiser)

The Mana (Seiken Densetsu) series is Squaresoft.

The Soul Blazer trilogy has a lot of similarities with classic 2D Zelda in the ALTTP vein. If you have any love for those, play them. Most importantly play Terranigma. It's the Scram Kitty of the SNES :p

TheMoon pls

You know the way to my gaming feels

TheMoon

TheMoon pls

You know the way to my gaming feels

Have you ever wanted to invent the telephone? Or win an eating contest in a castle? Or spend a wild night with a deer? Or climb mountains with a lion cub? Or wake up in a zombie town? Or save a mermaid? Fight robots in the skies
(Transformers pun intended)
? Or invent hamburgers? Yes? Play Terrangima :D

Top Bottom