• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

sörine

Banned
My only guess is a VC release is seen as something to fill the gaps but at the same time it is popular enough to threaten the rest of the shop. If you're an Indie developer the last thing you want to see is your game sabotaged because DKC came out on top of it.
This is exactly how Nintendo views VC. As filler. They also believe drip feeding releases leads to more sales.

Supposedly there's a gigantic VC backlog of finished titles waiting for release going by comments from Capcom and Natsume reps. Nintendo also still sets pricing and dates for VC, unlike all other eShop games. The only likely exceptions are 3rd party platforms which presumably Sega (Game Gear) and Konami (MSX, TG16) control instead.

NOA probably hasn't given us the DK trilogies yet because we got Captain Toad for the holidays. DKL was rated by the ESRB almost a month ago so they're obviously just stuck in the que waiting.

sörine;146591030 said:
This is exactly how Nintendo views VC. As filler. They also believe drip feeding releases leads to more sales.

Supposedly there's a gigantic VC backlog of finished titles waiting for release going by comments from Capcom and Natsume reps. Nintendo also still sets pricing and dates for VC, unlike all other eShop games. The only likely exceptions are 3rd party platforms which presumably Sega (Game Gear) and Konami (MSX, TG16) control instead.

NOA probably hasn't given us the DK trilogies yet because we got Captain Toad for the holidays. DKL was rated by the ESRB almost a month ago so they're obviously just stuck in the que waiting.

It's even worse than I thought. Wow. What kind of backward business practice is this? Why would anyone have this method? It's no wonder companies are leaving Nintendo in droves.

Chopper

After ZaciSa's patch is live, plan to do a fun $0.49 sale (75% off) in Feb sometime. Not sure how long, either 1 week or 2. Unless it sells like 100+ units per day, I will actually will barely make any money. But doing it cause am curious how it might go (esp after patch is live and new assets made from Camjo-Z are live). Also doing it as sometime in March, I plan to raise the game's price to like $2.99 or $3.99 (which is why for Europe's version will also be reflected in similar price at launch).

Speaking of Europe, PEGI should have a rating by next week or the week after. Sending off to USK next week (want to make sure the stuff I sent to PEGI didn't have any issues) :)

Here is the new eShop assets you will see in NA & EU eShops: (thanks again to Camjo-Z)

1T4.png
1SWI6d.png

osrA.png

(2 sets for NA & EU regions)
I am the hype.

Seriously dude. When this shit releases in the UK, I am first in line. Crayon carnage!

So I went to check out the new releases notification and NOA is lying and saying that Natsume Wrestling came out today.

The game came out two weeks ago NOA.

Sigh

maxcriden

Was wondering if anyone has a spare SNES or Super Famicom controller they might be willing to sell or trade me. Please PM me if so. Thanks!

--

Via gonintendo, MP-only chips were patched in for MMBN2.

donny2112

I was just thinking the same thing. I have a hookup for a few of the e-Reader cards I still need, though! (Hi TTH!)

Have the Wal-Mart exclusive cards and another Series 1 opened. Never opened the Series 2 one as we need Series 3 and 4 to unlock additional block houses. :(

Rizzi

Is Lufia The Legend Returns any good? Lufia II is my favourite game of all time, and I didn't know there was a GBC Lufia game, much less one on the eshop.
Also, has Wayforward said when Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is coming to AU?

tolkir

Would someone in Europe with a 3DS be so kind to check on the eshop if Korg DSN-12 and Korg M01D are still discounted? I don't have a 3DS (yet) so I can't see. I just found out about it but I think the sale ended yesterday :/

Sorry, too late. Full price now.

Time to buy some Amiibos more before the third wave.

BooJoh

I'll love M2 forever if they patch the e-Reader levels into Super Mario Advance 4.

I had completely written the idea off, but if they're patching things into other games maybe there's hope. Even if they do I doubt we'll be able to get the things that toggle with the cards like throwable veggies throughout the game though :(

I'll love M2 forever if they patch the e-Reader levels into Super Mario Advance 4.
I want to see how they handle this for Europe. We never got the e-Reader and all the e-Reader stuff was patched out of the game. I believe the save file can still hold all the data for added salt.

Still it is weird they do this for the Capcom Mega Man game but didn't do it for the data transfer stuff in Fire Emblem (speaking of which it would have been insane if in Japan they had offered the competition exclusive FE6 maps, detailed at the bottom of this page) which again was another not in Europe thing (NOE was so great in the early 2000s).

Chrom

Still it is weird they do this for the Capcom Mega Man game but didn't do it for the data transfer stuff in Fire Emblem (speaking of which it would have been insane if in Japan they had offered the competition exclusive FE6 maps, detailed at the bottom of this page) which again was another not in Europe thing (NOE was so great in the early 2000s).

I had those same thoughts. I think this is pretty cool and I hope it's indicative of future Virtual Console games doing the same where applicable, but I can't see why Nintendo didn't do this for FE7 (and FE8?) that had download-exclusive content that could've easily been patched in. Hopefully they still do this with the special FE6 Trial Maps, should they release that game.

Was wondering if anyone has a spare SNES or Super Famicom controller they might be willing to sell or trade me. Please PM me if so. Thanks!

--

I have a spare Snes pad but shipping to the US is going to cost a bit.

sörine

Banned
It's even worse than I thought. Wow. What kind of backward business practice is this? Why would anyone have this method? It's no wonder companies are leaving Nintendo in droves.
It's doubly infuriating since evidently NA is by a wide margin the biggest market for Virtual Console. But since we get a good number of Wii U indie games, we get squeezed out on the retro stuff compared to Japan. 3DS in Japan has the opposite problem though, they get a bunch of eShop games so 3DS VC is essentially dead there.

Honestly I feel like Nintendo should treat VC as a separate entity from the mainline platform releases, at least in the west where both 3DS and Wii U have enough of those releases anyway. Make Monday the weekly VC release day and put out a good 3-6 games each week. They don't need to deluge the market but scheduling should at least get back up to early Wii standards. VC could be something that actually helps build appeal and drives userbase rather than something they unceremoniously throw out for the faithful when they've got nothing else. Also get on Konami, Sega and D4's cases about bringing their own platforms to 3DS and Wii U.

sörine;146650178 said:
Honestly I feel like Nintendo should treat VC as a separate entity from the mainline platform releases, at least in the west where both 3DS and Wii U have enough of those releases anyway. Make Monday the weekly VC release day and put out a good 3-6 games each week. They don't need to deluge the market but scheduling should at least get back up to early Wii standards. VC could be something that actually helps build appeal and drives userbase rather than something they unceremoniously throw out for the faithful when they've got nothing else. Also get on Konami, Sega and D4's cases about bringing their own platforms to 3DS and Wii U.

I like your idea. It would be cool if they got rid of the Thursday nonsense and just let pubs/devs release their games whenever they want to. I'm getting tired of waiting every Thursday for disappointment.

Have we ever gotten any comments from Square as to why they're not supporting the VC outside of Japan?

maxcriden

I have a spare Snes pad but shipping to the US is going to cost a bit.

PMing you! Thanks man.

I like your idea. It would be cool if they got rid of the Thursday nonsense and just let pubs/devs release their games whenever they want to. I'm getting tired of waiting every Thursday for disappointment.

Have we ever gotten any comments from Square as to why they're not supporting the VC outside of Japan?

This is all I could find:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/239878-...to-bring-final-fantasy-vi-advance-to-wii-u-vc (specifically about FFVI Advance)

GulAtiCa

We can publish our games whenever we want actually. It just makes no sense to not release it on a Thursday if it's not a multiplatform launch. Games like The Cave for Wii U, wasn't released on a Thursday. Unless you are a pretty big name and doing a multiplatform release, releasing a game not on Thursday be like suicide. All the Nintendo & game sites, release the Nintendo PR, which helps promotes your game for example.

We can also do sales whenever we want to too. Even have them start and end on different non-Thursdays. You just have to wait 1/2 time the sale period before you can do another sale.

maxcriden

This Mario Party Advance review is kinda sad and hilarious:

Be prepared for the Mario Party party that isn't quite the party to begin with!

Mario Party Advance is a strange game that is not really fun to play. There are some novel ideas for the solo player mode, but the game never reaches a certain level of satisfaction. The board game is punishingly hard and a large majority of the game is quite bland. The animations are stiff as well and that is a bummer, mostly because the game does look sharp and the colors pop on the big screen. It is just a shame that barely anyone will experience it, because Mario Party Advance is not the GBA classic you are searching for!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/39351/mario-party-advance-review-mini

sörine;146650178 said:

Best idea I've heard yet. Someone hire this man at NOA.

GulAtiCa

I am IN LOVE. Well done GulAtiCa and Camjo-Z!
Glad you like it. Camjo-Z really did a great job.

I am the hype.

Seriously dude. When this shit releases in the UK, I am first in line. Crayon carnage!
:)

--------------

Speaking of ZaciSa, maybe you guys can give me some suggestions. Still a few weeks till I can submit for Europe and few days till I will submit to NOA for the patch.

Do any of you have any suggestions on how I can improve the "Base" image? Like, this image, is what the "base" of the tower defense game currently looks like. A green circle/etc (that turns red-ish when damaged). Any suggestions on any ways to improve on it to help make it clear that this is "something you must protect"?

Sorry to mention this here, but someone gave me a couple of eshop gift cards recently, and even with the receipt, she couldn't return them at walmart. If anyone wants $30 worth of eshop credit for $25, let me know. Just trying to make it up somewhat because otherwise I'm stuck with them.

Sorry to mention this here, but someone gave me a couple of eshop gift cards recently, and even with the receipt, she couldn't return them at walmart. If anyone wants $30 worth of eshop credit for $25, let me know. Just trying to make it up somewhat because otherwise I'm stuck with them.

Pretty sure maxcriden wants this

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
sörine;146591030 said:

That's not totally true though seeing as different regions push out more VC titles at once than others. I mean we already discussed this yesterday.

It's more like NOA than Nintendo.

Glad you like it. Camjo-Z really did a great job.

:)

--------------

Speaking of ZaciSa, maybe you guys can give me some suggestions. Still a few weeks till I can submit for Europe and few days till I will submit to NOA for the patch.

Do any of you have any suggestions on how I can improve the "Base" image? Like, this image, is what the "base" of the tower defense game currently looks like. A green circle/etc (that turns red-ish when damaged). Any suggestions on any ways to improve on it to help make it clear that this is "something you must protect"?

Write the word BASE on it? Not being facetious. Or maybe a shield?

Chrom

Maybe have the base glow or pulsate in brightness.

I just loaded $10 on my 3DS with the objective of buying a few weird/cheap Japanese indie games...I came out with

-Kemonomix+
-Samurai Smash Cats
-Sky Peace

Will give impressions if anyone cares.

maxcriden

I'm so weird. I got a Retron 5 and the lack of built-in save functions and punishing difficulty of older games is bumming me out a bit. I haven't bought a ton of games yet but I have bought some and now I'm second-guessing myself a bit. I was mainly interested in the idea of being able to play some older obscure, cute and charming games that wouldn't be on VC, stuff like Mickey no Tokyo Disneyland Daibōken

dai_balloon.png

and Cool Spot SNES

cool_spot.jpg

and Syonen Ashibe

SyoHaunted.gif

and Yume Penguin Monogatari

ypm04.gif

But now I'm just not sure if my gaming eyes were bigger than my gaming stomach...thoughts?

How is the Retron 5 Max? I always want one and when I go to get it I see the reviews of how cheaply made they are and I chicken out.

maxcriden

How is the Retron 5 Max? I always want one and when I go to get it I see the reviews of how cheaply made they are and I chicken out.

The Retron itself is pretty nice. Maybe I should just send this whole kit and caboodle to you, Broggie. It's not the Retron I have any issues with at all. I haven't messed with the filter settings so the NES is just okay but can probably look better with a different filter, but GBA with letterbox looks terrific, and the Genesis games look very good as well. Using an HDTV. So I have been really pleased with the device. It's more the older games themselves I'm disappointed with. I'm too old and impatient for no save features and punishing difficulty....

The Retron itself is pretty nice. Maybe I should just send this whole kit and caboodle to you, Broggie. It's not the Retron I have any issues with at all. I haven't messed with the filter settings so the NES is just okay but can probably look better with a different filter, but GBA with letterbox looks terrific, and the Genesis games look very good as well. Using an HDTV. So I have been really pleased with the device. It's more the older games themselves I'm disappointed with. I'm too old and impatient for no save features and punishing difficulty....

Well at least it works well. Only negatives that worried me was the cart holders seem loose and flimsy. As for the saving.... That's one thing Nintendo spoiled us with VC.

LayLa

I thought it had up to 10 save states for each game?

sörine;146650178 said:

Man, this so much. Put VC releases on a separate day and bring back Virtual Console Mondays.

maxcriden

Well at least it works well. Only negatives that worried me was the cart holders seem loose and flimsy. As for the saving.... That's one thing Nintendo spoiled us with VC.

I thought it had up to 10 save states for each game?

Oh, I should clarify. There are save states for every game, pretty similar to VC. It's more the games themselves and their lack of saving I don't have enough patience for. Take, say, Mickey Mania. Really clever Genesis game. You beat a level and die six times though (including the one continue you get), and you're back at the very beginning of the game. If you do a save state partway through, you're still going to end up getting a game over and having to restart the whole game unless you're really excellent at it. So with no save feature *at all* in the game, the save states only can do so much. If there's a save feature like a password or infinite continues (like Mega Man 2 for example), save states are much more useful.

maxcriden

I see what your getting at now. That wouldn't bother me too much but I can understand the frustration.

Oh, yeah, it's just my own silliness, really. I didn't grow up with a lack of save profiles because I didn't have a home console until the N64. I had a GB so I couldn't save SML but that's a pretty short game to begin with, and plenty of other GB games allowed you to save. :)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh cool, even better, a video! Pretty decent, though I wonder what the music's from (kind of surprised it's not one of the Flat Zone songs from Super Smash Bros). I KIND OF wouldn't mind a b&w version, though I still like the theme overall.

& not yet. Maybe I'll get it tomorrow.....though I might have to save it on the grounds I got my wisdom teeth removed today, though at least with how cold it's been, the candy bar will stay good.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
This is also in MMBN3, confirmed by Miiverse. Glad to see that they are continuing with it and make it possible to fully complete the games.
I want to see how they handle this for Europe. We never got the e-Reader and all the e-Reader stuff was patched out of the game. I believe the save file can still hold all the data for added salt.

All the e-reader stuff is still in the European version, they even localized everything in FIGS. But yes, it's dummied out but I hope they will find a way... probably not.
(You need those MMBN2 chips to unlock Hard mode and to achieve 100% completion)

Ondore

I was wondering why I got age-gated when I clicked that link, then I saw "Quest for the Laser Nipples" and it became blindingly obvious.

Top Bottom