• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

Javier

This has been available on the Wii U Virtual Console since May 2014. Why the fuck can't they just release it on both platforms at the same time?
I imagine Wii U and 3DS use different emulators to run NES VC games, so they need to be tested separately before release. If one version finishes testing and is approved for release before the other one is, why wait until the other version is finished to release both?

Another Mega Man. FFS release something else. Horrible week. A new year and already being shitty. NOE at least does two Wii U VC titles. At this point Nintendo deserves their low console sales. They aren't doing anything to improve it.

maxcriden

Today's downloads:

Diddytantrum.gif

Wasn't there an Ubisoft-sale that ended last week that had Child of Light for less than a fiver? Or was that not in the US?

Just started Scram Kitty. Seems pretty good in the first five levels though I must get used to it a little bit more. How many stages are there?

SKAHBOR has several stages, let me try to remember how many, though--okay, I looked it up, there are 29 in total from what I can see. :) It gets very tough and addictive to 100% IMO. I hope you come to love it as I did. (Oh, and as mentioned below, that COL sale was EU-only. Thanks though!)

Saw that (and replied)! Thanks a whole bunch for the offer but there's no need, I already bought it! Really looking forward to playing the game. Max, coolest of Nabbits, there's awesome times ahead and I can feel them coming. Can you hear them as well? They're marching in like giants on pogo sticks!!!

I haven't played Mega Man Battle Network but I know a lot of people like it.

My pleasure, man. I hope you're right about those awesome times, it's been a really crappy week!

Team Top Hat, have you tried MMBN at all? That's a game I remember fondly from my childhood. Really solid and clever RPG.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Shin'en said:
We will release Arc System Works 'Family Tennis SP' on #WiiU #eShop on January 15th! Price 4.99USD/4.99€. Smash away!

Check out the 'Family Tennis SP' website:
http://familytennis.shinen.com/

https://twitter.com/ShinenGames

screen05.jpg

Smash away in this exciting new tennis game.
Choose from eight cute anime characters and challenge opponents in a tournament or practice match. It's your choice to play singles or doubles.
Play alone or together with up to four friends. Dominate your opponents with super shots and master all special courts. Need a break between games? Then check out the exciting minigames.
Bursting with fun characters and no-holds-barred action!
Four courts, all with rich different features! Play some doubles and make it a real show!
The whole family is here! Choose any of the eight different characters!
Roulette Rally: Hit the right panel and you could be racking up the points in no time!
Swing at the right moment to blast the ball back at your opponent! Control the ball and grab your chance!

Saw that (and replied)! Thanks a whole bunch for the offer but there's no need, I already bought it! Really looking forward to playing the game. Max, coolest of Nabbits, there's awesome times ahead and I can feel them coming. Can you hear them as well? They're marching in like giants on pogo sticks!!!

Leaving aside the ones maxcriden mentioned (and you've already beaten), and the obvious ones like Zelda 1, 2, 3 and Minish Cap leaves us with these:

Gargoyle's Quest 2 has a lot of RPG elements, like an overworld map, towns, NPCs and even a sort of leveling up, and it's great. Harvest Moon isn't really what I'd call an RPG but a lot of people consider it one and it's a good game. Mystical Ninja also has a lot of action-RPG stuff mixed with platforming and is one of my favorite games ever, so check it out if you haven't. I haven't played Mega Man Battle Network but I know a lot of people like it. I'm interested in Pier Solar even if I hear it has some flaws, maybe check out a few videos and see if it grabs your attention. Breath of Fire 1 and Battle Network 2 & 3 (both among the best in the series, supposedly) are coming out soon, so maybe wait for that.

If you're willing to play on Wii mode there's a whole lot more great stuff to choose from. Do you want some recommendations for that or are you set for now?

Gargoyle's Quest 2 sounds interesting. I'll check that out. Thanks!

Wasn't there an Ubisoft-sale that ended last week that had Child of Light for less than a fiver? Or was that not in the US?

Just started Scram Kitty. Seems pretty good in the first five levels though I must get used to it a little bit more. How many stages are there?

Does anyone know how much Citizens of Earth is going to cost?

UbiSoft didn't have that sale in North America....NOA probably didn't reach out to them like Sony does to publishers.

Today's downloads:

SKAHBOR has several stages, let me try to remember how many, though--okay, I looked it up, there are 29 in total from what I can see. :) It gets very tough and addictive to 100% IMO. I hope you come to love it as I did. (Oh, and as mentioned below, that COL sale was EU-only. Thanks though!)

My pleasure, man. I hope you're right about those awesome times, it's been a really crappy week!

Team Top Hat, have you tried MMBN at all? That's a game I remember fondly from my childhood. Really solid and clever RPG.

I respect Mega Man games, but they are not my type at all.

Looks like Shin'en is releasing a game next week
https://twitter.com/ShinenGames/status/553198853479223296

Family Tennis SP for $4.99/4.99€.

It's interesting that Shin'en is publishing that. I didn't think they would be a publisher. maybe it's part of a deal they made for Arc to publish their games in Japan in exchange for localized Arc's Wii U games in the West

Edit: well I was late on the above

Also Circle announced a new Quell game
https://twitter.com/CIRCLE_Ent/status/553055482726715393

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hell I really like Megaman as a franchise and I've been with it since MM1 on the NES.

At some point though even fans have to be MM out'd. I mean there are a ton of games on the NES, SNES, and GBA. Is it so wrong to want something non MM for a change?

The only good thing is they are getting to the point where there isn't any MM games left to put out. I mean we have the rest of the BN stuff and that's it right? We already got all of the mainline NES/SNES titles.

Still disappointing is understating it for me this week.

Hell I really like Megaman as a franchise and I've been with it since MM1 on the NES.

At some point though even fans have to be MM out'd. I mean there are a ton of games on the NES, SNES, and GBA. Is it so wrong to want something non MM for a change?

The only good thing is they are getting to the point where there isn't any MM games left to put out. I mean we have the rest of the BN stuff and that's it right? We already got all of the mainline NES/SNES titles.

Capcom hasn't released a new Megaman in years.

I bet they like the idea of relying on old Megaman games to bring them money for shitty DmC.

I don't mind them releasing more Mega Man games, but at least release something else additional too. That's the problem here.

When I look at NOE and they are releasing multiple VC games at once; along with NCL doing 4 or even more, I wonder how anyone can defend NOA at all.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I feel like Wayforward is sliding in that 25% off on the 3ds version of Shantae because sales aren't that great.

I have a feeling this game probably ends up tanking on both the 3ds and Wii U due to the $20 price point vs $15.

I could be way off base though.

Ladekabel

Okay, didn't know that sale was EU only.

It's addictive but the kittens, which you have to catch under time-pressure are annoying. Want to get all cats because I read they are required for the final boss but these make it hard for me to do this...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's addictive but the kittens, which you have to catch under time-pressure are annoying. Want to get all cats because I read they are required for the final boss but these make it hard for me to do this...
Yeah, some of those time-trial cats were annoying. But no, you don't need EVERY single cat for the final boss. I think you need....70, perhaps? I just remember that when I was 100%ing each stage, I unlocked the final boss and still had about....8 stages left, if I recall correctly.

maxcriden

I had a hard time with those, too. As Zonic said above, I don't think you need to rescue all the kitties to get to the final boss. But, it's super fun and satisfying to do so. There was one level I found insanely hard that I had to go back to later, but the rest I was completing with one kitty saved and then going immediately back in and working on the level till I could complete it with all four kitties saved in one run. You also get a nifty gold banner on a level when you do so. It's really tough, but very satisfying.

Ladekabel

Yeah, some of those time-trial cats were annoying. But no, you don't need EVERY single cat for the final boss. I think you need....70, perhaps? I just remember that when I was 100%ing each stage, I unlocked the final boss and still had about....8 stages left, if I recall correctly.

I had a hard time with those, too. As Zonic said above, I don't think you need to rescue all the kitties to get to the final boss. But, it's super fun and satisfying to do so. There was one level I found insanely hard that I had to go back to later, but the rest I was completing with one kitty saved and then going immediately back in and working on the level till I could complete it with all four kitties saved in one run. You also get a nifty gold banner on a level when you do so. It's really tough, but very satisfying.

Okay, so I had a little misinformation there. Don't know if I go for the 100% because of the timetrial mittens. I have several other games on my backlog which I'm looking forward to enjoy. And I usually don't 100% games.

Why does NOA insist on having massive lag time for AAA NES and SNES VC releases as opposed to when Europe gets them? DKC delay is starting to look like another repeat of LTTP and SMB 3, both of which Europe received roughly 5-6 months before NA.

Why does NOA insist on having massive lag time for AAA NES and SNES VC releases as opposed to when Europe gets them? DKC delay is starting to look like another repeat of LTTP and SMB 3, both of which Europe received roughly 5-6 months before NA.

Careful. Few people here don't take kindly to attacking NOA using reason and logic.

Real Answer: NOE & NCL does what NOA'int. NOA even missed the opportunity for releasing the DKC series on it's anniversary.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I remember Sega saying it'd be a monthly thing, but was hoping we'd get a more specific schedule, like the order of games being released.

Was After Burner II the first 3D Classic in the 2nd set released in Japan as well?

Yeah, I remember Sega saying it'd be a monthly thing, but was hoping we'd get a more specific schedule, like the order of games being released.

Was After Burner II the first 3D Classic in the 2nd set released in Japan as well?

Good question, not sure.

I wish they'd release two a month, getting them about a year after Japan is bad enough.

Edit: Otherwise this IS great news and AB II and Fantasy Zone will be instant purchases.

maxcriden

It is really odd, especially since this is the only way to get VC of the DKC games right now; at least the others were available on other VC services already in NA. I'm hopeful we'll get the DKC games this month.
I'll be saying this every month till it happens or we're told it won't happen. But I really hope for it to happen ASAP.

Chrom

Here's a comprehensive list of every eShop sale that just went live in NA:

[3DS] 4 Elements - $3.99 thru 4/2 (was $5.99)
[3DS] Azada - $3.99 thru 4/2 (was $5.99)
[3DS] Hidden Expedition Titanic - $3.99 thru 4/2 (was $5.99)
[3DS] Luxor - $3.99 thru 4/2 (was $5.99)
[3DS] Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove - $3.99 thru 4/2 (was $5.99)
[3DS] Mystery Cave Files: Ravenhearst - $3.99 thru 4/2 (was $5.99)
[3DS] Mystery Cave Files: Return to Ravenhearst - $3.99 thru 4/2 (was $5.99)
[3DS] Shantae and the Pirates Curse - $14.99 thru 1/22 (was $19.99)
[3DS] Van Helsing Sniper Zx100 - $0.99 thru 1/28 (was $6.66)
[Wii U] 99Moves - $1.49 thru 1/29 (was $2.49)
[Wii U] 99Seconds - $1.49 thru 1/29 (was $2.49)
[Wii U] Abyss - $1.49 thru 1/29 (was $1.99)
[Wii U] Cake Ninja 3: The Legend Continues - $1.99 thru 2/2 (was $4.99)
[Wii U] Cubemen 2 - $4.99 thru 1/22 (was $7.99)
[Wii U] Kung Fu Rabbit - $2.49 thru 1/22 (was $4.99)
[Wii U] Puddle - $4.99 thru 1/22 (was $7.99)
[Wii U] Snake Den - $1.25 thru 1/28 (was $3.99)
[Wii U] Tetrobot & Co. - $7.99 thru 1/22 (was $9.99)
[Wii U] Wooden Sen'SeY - $6.99 thru 1/22 (was $9.99)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So after searching longer than it should've taken, this was the release order for the 2nd set of Sega 3D Classics. I see Sega's JPN site for it has them in order of newest to oldest, so this should be correct as far as I know, plus I checked each game's page & confirms this was indeed the release order in Japan.

- After Burner II
- Fantasy Zone
- Outrun
- Fantasy Zone II
- Thunder Blade

So if Sega USA goes by this same order, it could mean:

- Fantasy Zone in Feb.
- Outrun in March
- Fantasy Zone II in April
- Thunder Blade in May

daydream

Banned
So after searching longer than it should've taken, this was the release order for the 2nd set of Sega 3D Classics. I see Sega's JPN site for it has them in order of newest to oldest, so this should be correct as far as I know, plus I checked each game's page & confirms this was indeed the release order in Japan.

- After Burner II
- Fantasy Zone
- Outrun
- Fantasy Zone II
- Thunder Blade

So if Sega USA goes by this same order, it could mean:

- Fantasy Zone in Feb.
- Outrun in March
- Fantasy Zone II in April
- Thunder Blade in May

IIRC, the first batch released over consecutive *weeks* with two games per update. I hope the second one approximates that pattern. Where'd you get the month-long gaps from, just by mirroring the JP schedule?

^^^^

Yeah, that's pretty much how I remember it. Also, didn't they add some kind of multiplayer or extra modes to at least one of the Fantasy Zone games?

I have Space Harrier and Galaxy Force 3D (which has some of the best 3D effects on the system) and highly recommend them, M2 does an amazing job on the 3D Classics. One of these days I might get Shinobi III 3D.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
IIRC, the first batch released over consecutive *weeks* with two games per update. I hope the second one approximates that pattern. Where'd you get the month-long gaps from, just by mirroring the JP schedule?
From Sega's US Blog:

Beginning with the release of 3D After Burner II in early 2015, the second batch of titles will be released monthly and include 3D Fantasy Zone, 3D OutRun, 3D Fantasy Zone II, and 3D Thunder Blade.

And now I just realized they had the order typed up already.

Edit: I guess for comparison's sake, there were the JPN release dates for each game:

- After Burner II: Dec. 18th, 2013
- Fantasy Zone: March 19th, 2014
- Outrun: April 23rd, 2014
- Fantasy Zone II: July 16th, 2014
- Thunder Blade: August 20th, 2014

Top Bottom