• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - January 2015

maxcriden

Ah nice OP max :)

I....... actually realized I haven't finished Yoshi's Island DS yet. I own it and it's currently sitting in my backlog. Maybe I'll move onto that next! (after I finish with Ace Attorney)

Thanks Alex! And, yes! You should totally do that.

Also, how about Ghost Trick thereafter?

36-headphone.gif

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Thanks Alex! And, yes! You should totally do that.

Also, how about Ghost Trick thereafter?

36-headphone.gif

Oh I've already played Ghost Trick! What an INCREDIBLE game! And you know I actually screamed with joy when
Sissel's true identity
was revealed! You know why :3

Absolutely agreed. I thought YI DS was even better than YNI, though. Here's my LTTP if you wanna read:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=915370

tumblr_lr7yyiLoAd1qbxfjqo4_250.gif

Gladly!

Yoshi's Island DS is a great platformer with impeccable level design and one of the most challenging Nintendo games ever made. Also, *ahem* I'll see your LTTP thread and raise you my thread from last year which you probably remember where I presented photographic proof of getting a perfect file on the game:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=741610

maxcriden

Oh I've already played Ghost Trick! What an INCREDIBLE game! And you know I actually screamed with joy when
Sissel's true identity
was revealed! You know why :3

Oh, I sure do. Same here! Ooh, how about Soul Bubbles?

One of the DS's truest under-appreciated gems.

Another LTTP I wrote, if that's helpful at all:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=902798

Also, the Disclaimer screen of the game is right up your alley!

Yoshi's New Island is a great platformer with impeccable level design and one of the most challenging Nintendo games ever made. Also, *ahem* I'll see your LTTP thread and raise you my thread from last year which you probably remember where I presented photographic proof of getting a perfect file on the game:

LOL, of course I remember your thread, Agent! That's what inspired me to try the game again after so many years ago giving up on it in confusion and frustration. :)

(BTW, did you mean to type YNI in your post, or YI DS?)

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Oh, I sure do. Same here! Ooh, how about Soul Bubbles?

One of the DS's truest under-appreciated gems.

Another LTTP I wrote, if that's helpful at all:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=902798

Also, the Disclaimer screen of the game is right up your alley!

I have never heard of this game before, I'm gonna read your topic and see if I can find a copy somewhere online perhaps, it does seem interesting! :) How I've never heard of it before (!!!!!) is a mystery to me as it appears to have gotten a North American release O_O

Yoshi's New Island is a great platformer with impeccable level design and one of the most challenging Nintendo games ever made. Also, *ahem* I'll see your LTTP thread and raise you my thread from last year which you probably remember where I presented photographic proof of getting a perfect file on the game:

Eek! Now I'm nervous to continue playing haha, I didn't realize YIDS had a reputation of being difficult! I had only played a few minutes before it went into my backlog pile...

LOL, of course I remember your thread, Agent! That's what inspired me to try the game again after so many years ago giving up on it in confusion and frustration. :)

(BTW, did you mean to type YNI in your post, or YI DS?)

Ha, I figured that was what got you into it. ;) And yes, I meant to type YI DS.

YNI is good too though, both are underatted.

donny2112

Got the SMG2 survey on Club Nintendo. Y'all should have yours. 20 coin survey :)

Yep, got it. And had previously done the physical disk, so they do still count as extra. :D

I'm still flabbergasted that we get Super Mario Galaxy 2 for a $10 download. It's like the $0.39 VC title stuff all over again. Just insanely great value. Yes, it's Wii mode via shortcut and it needs the Wiimote+nunchuk to work, but it's Super Mario Galaxy 2! Just wow!

I come in here to see 20 coin suverys for wii games and love of Ghost Trick. Always a nice surprise. I'm going to have so many coins for this year if they keep the wii vc going.

I don't know if they have every episode, but Bravest Warriors is available on https://www.youtube.com/user/CartoonHangover

Thanks, I love that I can use YouTube in the Wii U browser for stuff like this, so convenient.

Eek! Now I'm nervous to continue playing haha, I didn't realize YIDS had a reputation of being difficult! I had only played a few minutes before it went into my backlog pile...

Yoshi's Island DS is HARD. The only Nintendo platformer that compares to it in difficulty is Lost Levels. That said, like Lost Levels, YI DS has brutal yet ingenious level design and it's a game that feels very rewarding and satisfying to complete once you actually master it.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Does Fire Emblem Awakening Lunatic mode mean anything? Meaning, does it actually change the tactics? Or can I just accidentally over-level again? I know the first few missions you depend on Fredrick but what about after that? I loved the balance of getting the second generation characters when the enemy was just slightly above level of me.

Chrom

Two NA eShop sales I should've mentioned a while ago that I don't believe have been brought up yet: Code of Princess is also a part of the Atlus sale for $14.99 (was $29.99) and Darts Up 3D is currently $0.99 until 2/19 (was $2.99).

TheMoon

Perhaps, but I feel like Wii remasters are kind of off the table if SMG as a remaster is off the table and so is MPT at the moment. SMG is a much more popular game than TP, sales-wise. I very much doubt Nintendo would re-release SMG/MPT if they planned to remake them this gen. So I'm thinking (and hoping) that the same is true for any Wii games. As a result, I suspect any further remakes will be of GCN games, as WW HD was. FWIW, though, it seems like remasters are a very low priority for them at the moment since they said they have the capacity to do one pretty quickly now, and we haven't seen a single hint of one in well over a year now.

Aonuma said during WWHD interviews that it was too early for TP or SS so the 10 year anniversary (2016) for TP should take care of that part (WWHD came out during its 10 year anniversary, at least in the West). And they have sort of moved into annual Zelda games in a way with WWHD & ALBW -> HW -> MM3D/ZeldaU so they might very well have TP in the pipeline for 2016/2017 as their "old" game along with another spin-off or a new, original handheld game. *shrugs*

Thanks, I love that I can use YouTube in the Wii U browser for stuff like this, so convenient.

Yoshi's Island DS is HARD. The only Nintendo platformer that compares to it in difficulty is Lost Levels. That said, like Lost Levels, YI DS has brutal yet ingenious level design and it's a game that feels very rewarding and satisfying to complete once you actually master it.

I can vouch how hard it is. Especially the special levels. I was able to 100% it though. Great game.

SerTapTap

Got Battle Network 2, do all 4 games have the same level of reused assets? At least the Net looks different, mostly, but at least at the start it's pretty staggering. I think I'll survive but I'll be disappointed if the last two are still mostly all the same stuff. Enemies being almost identical in how they act is the biggest problem, though the visual and audio reuse is also annoying.

Did I mention in here that Attack of the Friday Monsters is awesome? Very glad I grabbed that in the $3 sale. Also got Dark Witch (not amazing, but surprisingly cool difficulty/control options, interesting mega man/gradius mix that's fairly unbalanced) and Weapon Shop de Omasse (funny but rather slow to start with, and hard to work + read what's going on). Don't regret any of them, though it'd be hard to at that price.

I can vouch how hard it is. Especially the special levels. I was able to 100% it though. Great game.

Special levels in the original were hard as nails too. I never even beat the ones in the first world. "Poochy ain't stupid" YES HE FREAKING IS

I caved in and preordered a new 3DS.

Anyone know of what the good stuff is on their eshop?

I haven't owned a Nintendo handheld since game boy advance. It's been awhile.

Rootbeer

Banned
Guys

Something that really irritates me about my Wii U is i'll open a game or app and it has to download an update. So, since Wii U does not do this in the background when i'm not using the system like it should, does anyone know a good resource that keeps track of all the various software and game updates on Wii U so I can know when to download them?

SerTapTap

Not much honestly, but Mighty Switch Force 1&2, Pushmo and Shantae are good if you don't have them on 3DS. Attack of the Friday Monsters (you play for the story not gameplay), Gunvolt (great game partially harmed by needless crafting), Mighty Gunvolt (though it's easy and pretty short) are all good pickups too if they're your sort of thing. I'll double check my library, but most of the good 3DS stuff is retail, digital is a lot of shovelware and hard to browse with not as much payoff as I'd have hoped.

Ignore Chibi Robo Photo Finder it's terrible. Be glad Nintendo never got too into AR because their attempts are all bad (the pokemon thing too)

Oh, there's Fantasy Zone 1&2 coming to 3D classics. The 3D classics and VC have some decent stuff but it's obviously not exclusive or new.

Guys

Something that really irritates me about my Wii U is i'll open a game or app and it has to download an update. So, since Wii U does not do this in the background when i'm not using the system like it should, does anyone know a good resource that keeps track of all the various software and game updates on Wii U so I can know when to download them?

IMO trying to keep track of what needs an update will drive you nuts way more than waiting for the update. You can also say no to the update (it won't let you play it online, but it's not like there are tons of games like that on it anyway). I think updates download automatically except retail games (if they're not currently inserted). I guess it depends how bad your download speed is, personally I find it annoying it's not as seamless as PS4 but I don't really fuss with it.

zroid

Banned
Not much honestly, but Mighty Switch Force 1&2, Pushmo and Shantae are good if you don't have them on 3DS. Attack of the Friday Monsters (you play for the story not gameplay), Gunvolt (great game partially harmed by needless crafting), Mighty Gunvolt (though it's easy and pretty short) are all good pickups too if they're your sort of thing. I'll double check my library, but most of the good 3DS stuff is retail, digital is a lot of shovelware and hard to browse with not as much payoff as I'd have hoped.

Ignore Chibi Robo Photo Finder it's terrible. Be glad Nintendo never got too into AR because their attempts are all bad (the pokemon thing too)

Oh, there's Fantasy Zone 1&2 coming to 3D classics. The 3D classics and VC have some decent stuff but it's obviously not exclusive or new.

There's a ton of good stuff on the 3DS eShop. It's the Wii U eShop that's a bit iffy (good games but few exclusives).

3DS has all the Picross-e games, Guild-01/02 series, Crashmo, and those you mentioned, among others

edit: check Nintendo Life's list sorted by review score to give you an idea of what's good: http://www.nintendolife.com/games?region=usa&system=3ds-eshop&submit=Filter&sort=rating

SerTapTap

I guess there's a fair share of puzzle games, I haven't really been into those though. It's something the (3)DS has always been good at but I'm more than burnt out on. If you skipped DS it might be good to check those out though.

TheMoon

Guys

Your Wii U only auto-downloads update data for recently played titles. Like, played within the previous month or so.

ZeroAKA

How often do first-party games go on sale on the eShop? And is there any way to access the store or redeem codes on a computer?

zroid

Banned
How often do first-party games go on sale on the eShop?

not often, but there are a few on sale right now. http://nintendo.com/eshop/offers

And is there any way to access the store
sort of... you can buy most (all?) first party games on the web, but I think that's it. you can also buy codes for these games, iirc. http://www.nintendo.com/games

or redeem codes on a computer?

login with your NNID and redeem them here: https://eshop.nintendo.net/redeem#/

They've done conditional sales before (Super Mario World/Super Mario 2, etc) the difference is NOA has never done a conditional sale like this that accounts for your library on the other system. For example, getting a discount (or even free copy) on a Wii U game for owning the 3DS version or vice versa. This is what NOA apparently doesn't have the infrastructure for, checking your library on the other system for promotions.
The bolded jogged my memory. It was a bit hazy as I didn't own a Wii U in 2013 so it being done fairly little in 2014 made me regress and think NOA couldn't do it.

Until recently (about firmware 9.0) the 3DS didn't have infrastructure to do conditional discounts of any kind so maybe that is what NOA meant when saying they didn't.

Does Fire Emblem Awakening Lunatic mode mean anything? Meaning, does it actually change the tactics? Or can I just accidentally over-level again? I know the first few missions you depend on Fredrick but what about after that? I loved the balance of getting the second generation characters when the enemy was just slightly above level of me.
Unless you use the DLC maps it is very hard to grind in Lunatic because all the risen battles are way too strong and summoned parties give 1 exp per kill. But what ends up happening is it turns a lot of the cast outside of Chrom, My unit (you will make her female, Chrom's husband and pair her up for the veteran exp boost) and Fredrick (for about the first 5 chapters) into completely useless death fodder as the enemies on regular maps are really dangerous.

You also may be retrying maps a lot especially in the first few chapters if my unit doesn't get good level ups or Frederick gets hit with a hammer.

If you can put it up with it and actually complete it your rewards is you can play lunatic+ (btw, if you beat lunatic in casual you'll only unlock casual lunatic+) where you end up having multiple restarts of each chapter just to avoid enemies rolling with the wrong complete bullshit skill. They will always have one of several whose effects include, completely ignoring defence or always hitting you (neither of which are fun when they're armed with silver weapons from prologue).

My opinion is replay value of Awakening died for me as I don't find Hard to be hard enough (I didn't bother with kids or grinding) and find the ways that Lunatic is hard (all enemies with silver weapons and later on forged weapons including brave weapons) to be unfun bullshit and way too restrictive on what cast members are even viable.

SerTapTap

BTW protip to any new 3ds (or new New 3ds) buyers, if you get Animal Crossing, get it digital, I really wish I had. Despite Nintendo's digital policies, really would appreciate not having to swap carts, because the end result is either ACNL is not played, or nothing but ACNL is played. Pokemon Y being digital probably saved some other games as well.

donny2112

BTW protip to any new 3ds (or new New 3ds) buyers, if you get Animal Crossing, get it digital, I really wish I had. Despite Nintendo's digital policies, really would appreciate not having to swap carts, because the end result is either ACNL is not played, or nothing but ACNL is played. Pokemon Y being digital probably saved some other games as well.

Yes, exactly. Having played the GCN, DS, and Wii (unfortunately) versions before, knew going in that it'd be digital or I wouldn't play it. Same with Brain Training 3D.

isitstill

Maybe this is the wrong thread for something like this, but I'm downloading DLC right now for FF Theatrhythm Curtain Call. I'd like recommendations.

Any particularly great songs that I shouldn't pass up?

There are a lot of good games on the eShop in a variety of genres and styles, from small to full-fledged games, wether they are exclusive or not. All of these are good games that are frequently recommended to people asking the same question as you, so it's usually very easy to find more information about them. Check them out on the eShop itself, or google them and look for youtube videos, whatever is more comfortable for you, and I'm sure you'll find more than a few that catch your interest.

All of the Guild 01 or 02 games are very interesting, specially Attack of the Friday Monsters and Crimson Shroud, which are widly considered among the best games on the eShop, but at least Liberation Maiden and Weapon Shop de Omasse are also worth taking a look at. Yumi's Odd Odyssey (Sayonara Umihara Kawase) is a puzzle/platformer and one of my favorite games on the console and I wholeheartedly recommend looking into it. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Dual Destinies is another excellent game, but you should definitely play the previous games on the series, which are also available on the 3DS as a trilogy compilation or through its backwards compatibility with the DS.

Azure Striker Gunvolt is an excellent, very good looking game. Mighty Gunvolt is also worht playing, but it's much smaller game than ASG and plays very differently to it. You've probably already played Shovel Knight on PC or Wii U by now, but in case you haven't, it's a fantastic game and looks beautiful on the 3DS. Shantae is another very pretty game that was also very well received. HarmoKnight is great mix of rhythm game with sidescroller, by GameFreak. Fluidity is a very interesting game by Curve, the developers of Stealth Inc, published by Nintendo. Sakura Samurai and both parts of Dillon's Rolling Western are Nintendo published games that you should probably look into. The Denpa Men games are very quirky, very interesting RPGs.

Pushmo and its sequel Crashmo are excellent puzzle games by Intelligent Systems. Both Mighty Switch Force games were very well received. Every game in the Picross series is automatically among the best the puzzle genre has to offer. Tokyo Crash Mobs, Kersploosh and Alien on the Run are other decent puzzles worth checking out. Mario and Donkey Kong Minis on the Move is another fantastic puzzle game with a crapton of content. Art of Balance Touch is another great puzzle.

Kokuga is a good shooter by ex-Treasure people who worked on Ikaruga. I've heard good things about Nano Assault. Steel Empire is a good version of an old Genesis / Mega Drive game, if a bit pricey.

There's a free version of Steel Diver Sub Wars that's a lot of fun if you can play multiplayer, but even if you don't it doesn't cost anything, so give it a try. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball is another fantastic game, some of its games are extremely addicting. The StreetPass Mii Plaza games can be a lot of fun, depending on how many StreetPasses you think you're going to get (or if you can set up HomePass). Pokedex 3D can be great or useless, depending on how much into Pokemon you are.

Then there's a whole bunch of great Virtual Console games, of course, as well as some very good DSi games. The 3D Classics collection is very good, even if just as a curiosity, and they're the best version of those games available. Sega and M2 did an excellent job with the 3D versions of classic Sega games and they have a great price, so definitely check them out as well.

I know I'm forgetting some games but I'm sure others have already mentioned them, or will. There are also some smaller games, like those by G-Style, that are well liked by the few people I know that have played them, but I haven't really looked into them.

There's a lot to like on the 3DS, wether its digital or physical games, or from its full compatibility with the DS's library, one of the best any console has ever had, handheld or not.

Not much honestly

Are you crazy? XD I wish I had money to own all the games I like on the eShop. I've been very lucky lately and played a few games I wouldn't have been able to under different circumstances, and I'm very grateful for that, but there's a lot of interesting, fun looking games in there, man.

Dee Dee

Is Teslagrad worth getting? I keep hearing conflicting things.

I hear good things about SteamWorld Dig, so I'll probably get that.

I am not far into Teslagrad, but I really like it. It is a so-called Metroidvania (or so I read), which I would describe as: A labyrinth of rooms with puzzles based around certain items and move sets you aquire while progressing through the game. I liked the boss fights too, they took a few trys to get, but they were fun. I really liked the art style and the atmosphere. Price seems just right at the moment! I think it has some bugs on PC, but no problems at all on the Wii U.

SteamWorld Dig is a fun addictive game where you dig for loot. Inventory management, your lamp runs out of oil, so close to that treasure room, but so little light and inventory space left... it's really cool and addictive in a very relaxing way. I died a few times, leaving me to re-collect my precious treasures, but never got angry about it.

Out of the two I actually prefer Teslagrad - it felt a bit more tense and urgent, and also interesting to go through. SteamWorld Dig grows on a people a lot though while they are playing it. Both games are quite short from what I hear, so getting them on sale seems a good way to make up for that if that is important to you.

I am not far into Teslagrad, but I really like it. It is a so-called Metroidvania (or so I read), which I would describe as: A labyrinth of rooms with puzzles based around certain items and move sets you aquire while progressing through the game. I liked the boss fights too, they took a few trys to get, but they were fun. I really liked the art style and the atmosphere. Price seems just right at the moment! I think it has some bugs on PC, but no problems at all on the Wii U.

SteamWorld Dig is a fun addictive game where you dig for loot. Inventory management, your lamp runs out of oil, so close to that treasure room, but so little light and inventory space left... it's really cool and addictive in a very relaxing way. I died a few times, leaving me to re-collect my precious treasures, but never got angry about it.

Out of the two I actually prefer Teslagrad - it felt a bit more tense and urgent, and also interesting to go through. SteamWorld Dig grows on a people a lot though while they are playing it. Both games are quite short from what I hear, so getting them on sale seems a good way to make up for that if that is important to you.

Okay, I'll get them. Thank you!

maxcriden

I have never heard of this game before, I'm gonna read your topic and see if I can find a copy somewhere online perhaps, it does seem interesting! :) How I've never heard of it before (!!!!!) is a mystery to me as it appears to have gotten a North American release O_O

Check your PMs, I might be able to help. It's a really rad game. :)

Aonuma said during WWHD interviews that it was too early for TP or SS so the 10 year anniversary (2016) for TP should take care of that part (WWHD came out during its 10 year anniversary, at least in the West). And they have sort of moved into annual Zelda games in a way with WWHD & ALBW -> HW -> MM3D/ZeldaU so they might very well have TP in the pipeline for 2016/2017 as their "old" game along with another spin-off or a new, original handheld game. *shrugs*

Oh, good point. Yeah, you absolutely could be right. But, I'm hoping for Paper Zelda next year. :)

Got Battle Network 2, do all 4 games have the same level of reused assets? At least the Net looks different, mostly, but at least at the start it's pretty staggering. I think I'll survive but I'll be disappointed if the last two are still mostly all the same stuff. Enemies being almost identical in how they act is the biggest problem, though the visual and audio reuse is also annoying.

Did I mention in here that Attack of the Friday Monsters is awesome? Very glad I grabbed that in the $3 sale.

Really glad you're enjoying AOFFM. As for BN2, I don't think I've played beyond the first game or two, but when you say all four games, you mean all seven-nine games, right? ;)

Lots of great recommendations listed above. I'll just say you need to play some of the amazing DS games you missed. I don't know where to even begin with that, just on this page alone we've discussed three amazing games in Yoshi's Island DS, Ghost Trick, and Soul Bubbles.

P.S. I take some of the credit for you picking up a 3DS. ;)

enigmatic_alex44

I know they charge more on the eshop for Earthbound than other SNES games and I see why... I'm only an hour in, what a gem. I missed out on most of the SNES era as a kid and had to play catch-up when I was older, and Chrono Trigger remains my favorite SNES game of all time but I could see Earthbound being on that same level if the quality keeps up.

Now if only they would make Super Mario RPG compatible with the gamepad I'd FINALLY be able to play through that gem :(

Check your PMs, I might be able to help. It's a really rad game. :)

:)

kanamechan

Let's say one gets a new 3DS.

How the heck does one transfer downloaded games over?

Sigh, I should have stayed with cardridges only :(

sakipon

I don't know that way, uguu. I just know it's apparently complicated. Or so I heard.

Seriously, it's not. Don't believe everything you hear. The only complicated part is that you need to have both systems at hand at the same time (compared to for example Vita where you can sell the old one first). Choose the transfer option on your 3DS and follow the steps.

TheMoon

I don't know that way, uguu. I just know it's apparently complicated. Or so I heard.

It's incredibly simple. You activate system transfer, follow the on-screen instructions. And you're done. lol

If you're smart and already have a microSD (with an adapter) in your current 3DS, the process is done with in 15-20 minutes max and you just switch out the microSD cards at the end after it has transferred all the licenses wirelessly.

I wish the DS games come to the eShop :/
I would buy TWEWY

You assume that Square Enix would suddenly care. :D Even if DS games had been coming since last Summer, I bet you we still wouldn't have a single Square Enix game among them because they're that fucking stupid. (yes, I'm basically Top Hat for Square Enix^^)

Lots of great recommendations listed above. I'll just say you need to play some of the amazing DS games you missed. I don't know where to even begin with that, just on this page alone we've discussed three amazing games in Yoshi's Island DS, Ghost Trick, and Soul Bubbles.

P.S. I take some of the credit for you picking up a 3DS. ;)

yeah yeah.

The big DS game that I've really wanted was Chrono Trigger DS, if anything just for the new dungeon and new ending. That is the planned DS pickup, maybe Mario 64 DS, and definitely Pokemon Card Game on the eShop. Also Monster Hunter 4.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
BN1-3 use the same visual style in when you're exploring, but I think there's enough different areas in each to keep one from getting tired. BN4-6 have a new style, everything is a little scaled down and there's outlines on sprites and stuff. Some overworld layouts such as ACDC Town and Lan's House has been completely changed for some reason in BN4-6.
However, the battle art style is the same in all games (there's a new MegaMan sprite in 6 though). A lot of the chips and enemies are present in multiple games, but I see it like the Pokémon games. There's some familiar stuff that are mainstays, but each game have their own additions, locales and scenarios that makes them different.

Top Bottom