• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2015

Ok I'm pretty sure Echo has an end, and I already have Sonic.

So which of the other 3D Classics on sale have a ending and isn't a endless high score arcade game? I wanna know which ones I can actually beat. And which ones have save files because I suck at classic games lol.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Shinobi III, Altered Beast, & Streets of Rage does. If anything, I think the only ones that're "endless" are Space Harrier & Super Hang-On.

Also, EVERY 3D Sega allow you to use save states.

The Sega 3D Classics are only $2.99 hnnnnnggghhhh
Holy crap! I was super depressed since this morning thinking they would be $3.99 because I only have $3 and a bit of change after buying Shovel Knight last time it was on sale. Now I can finally get one of the Sega 3D Classics (Galaxy Force 2!).

Any thoughts on shiftlings or star fox command?
Speaking of SF, beat Andross on the easy path in SF3D. Solidly fun but I haaaate that no permasave system. I liked the game otherwise.
I'm glad you ended up liking the game. As you know, it's one of my all-time favorites. It's funny to see you hate the save system so much since the game isn't supposed to have one in the first place! It was added to this version for portability. Beating the game through a single path is supposed to be a short, arcade style experience that takes about 30 minutes, so it really shouldn't take too long to replay a couple of stages if you get a Game Over. Also, a lot of the levels can be played in multiple ways so there's always something new to do. You're going soft, max! XD
You should definitely give the other paths a go as well. A lot of those levels are really fun and you can't really say you've played Star Fox 64 until you've made a train crash (sadly, the rumble doesn't work in this version and they ruined the bigger explosion, but it's still awesome).

Unless they added a new control option for the Wii U, avoid it like the Noid. Even if it does have reasonable controls it's still the worst game in the series. Yes, worse than Adventures.
Haha, and I thought I didn't like the game all that much! It's not that bad, man. I don't like that it's not on-rails and the controls weren't that good (at least my hands wouldn't hurt on the gamepad now), but it's worth playing. All the different endings are so out there that I can recommend the game just for them alone.

Isn't the 3DS one the worst?
Well, the worst Mario & Luigi is still a pretty damn good game anyway.

Robin64

To be fair, to consider them simple ports is a bit of an injustice. The work M2 did is nothing short of amazing. The created the specs for a brand new console, then ported the games to that, then emulated that console. M2 doing God's work.

Also IIRC the PSP versions don't run perfectly. And a number of the games inb the 3D Classics line are actually the arcade originals, and in 2 cases, are based on the remade PS2 SEGA AGES versions (Fantasy Zone 2 and Galaxy Force 2).

Shinobi III, Altered Beast, & Streets of Rage does. If anything, I think the only ones that're "endless" are Space Harrier & Super Hang-On.

Also, EVERY 3D Sega allow you to use save states.
Alright thanks. I guess if I'm getting any of them now is the time. Now to lookup some videos. :D

Drago

Did NOA forget about N64 VC and Wii games?
Everyone forgot about N64 VC. I don't think there's been a single N64 game released anywhere beyond the first three games (and Japan only got two)

Wii digital releases definitely feel dead in America though. Not a one that released here after the first three games. Wii releases are pretty thin and dire everywhere but at least EU and JP got games beyond the first three...

I never expected much from the onset but I saw other regions were getting Kirby RtD. I thought "I doubt we'll get a lot but at least we'll get Kirby!" That's all I wanted given how expensive it still is to buy physical. But nope... absolutely nothing. :(

terrisus

Unless they added a new control option for the Wii U, avoid it like the Noid.

LvVja73.jpg

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Everyone forgot about N64 VC. I don't think there's been a single N64 game released anywhere beyond the first three games (and Japan only got two)

Wii digital releases definitely feel dead in America though. Not a one that released here after the first three games. Wii releases are pretty thin and dire everywhere but at least EU and JP got games beyond the first three...

I never expected much from the onset but I saw other regions were getting Kirby RtD. I thought "I doubt we'll get a lot but at least we'll get Kirby!" That's all I wanted given how expensive it still is to buy physical. But nope... absolutely nothing. :(

Europe just got Kirby 64 today.

At least we're getting some DS games more recently in NA/EU: Mario & Luigi: PiT & Star Fox Command in NA, Kirby: Squeak Squad and Yoshi Touch & Go in EU.

Seems like NA is the first territory to get Star Fox Command.

terrisus

Hahahaha...

store.playstation.com

Edit: And before anyone asks, yes, it can be played on the Vita. Download it to your PS3 & transfer it over.

But I don't have a PS3.

Clearly:

I uh... think your in the wrong thread?

This.

Before ppl blind buy the 3D Genesis Ports, just thought I'd let them know of the alternative sale for the psp/vita if they have 1.

That's not how GAF works.

Drago

Europe just got Kirby 64 today.

At least we're getting some DS games more recently in NA/EU: Mario & Luigi: PiT & Star Fox Command in NA, Kirby: Squeak Squad and Yoshi Touch & Go in EU.

Seems like NA is the first territory to get Star Fox Command.
Ah, that's nice! Good to see another N64 game somewhere.

And yeah I can't complain about DS VC too much. It's been a pretty steady stream of releases recently. Hopefully it keeps up a decent pace.

GulAtiCa

Ah ok. DT is like my only sense of the series (though I know some of the others are good) and got super annoyed with the hand holding and constant tutorials. Only real game I said, "fuck this", and just sold it. I should try it again when I'm in the mood.

I actually was looking over some of the nintendo indie corner stuff and noticed there's a dev chat with you in it :) (didn't have the time to listen to much of it, but I also noticed the Stone Shire dev was there in that same chat lol)

Also any impressions of Never Alone? Heard it's really pretty but kind of broken/glitchy?

Also seems like an indie game called Roving Rogue is releasing on the eShop on 7/2.

Yep! Wow, that feels like such a long time ago. That's right, Stone Shire dev was there. I forgot about that. Didn't have much of an opinion back then since game didn't have much info.

Haven't tried Never Alone, but did see NLife give it like 5/10 or so. Never heard of Roving Rogue, I'll have to look it up.

Back then, ZaciSa's Last Stand was only out on it's 1st patch. Demo wasn't released yet. Europe release wasn't even near started. My new game was yet to be thought up of.

And now, here I am nearly 1 year later since my game's launch, with new patch. With Europe release pending approval, with most likely Aug 20th release. Now looking to remove 1st demo (since bad compared to new version of game) and add new demo. Heck, getting closer and closer to revealing my next game!

Wow has time flown by.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The worst version of a collection of bad backbone ports (which is still totally worth it because of the insane value of the thing) versus all new, 3D versions done by the best emulation company around....hmm...

sörine

Banned
Before ppl blind buy the 3D Genesis Ports, just thought I'd let them know of the alternative sale for the psp/vita if they have 1.
Backbone versus M2. If you want a spottily emulated and glitchy collection over near perfectly emulated and eyemeltingly improved curated releases then by all means waste $4 on PSN.

While you're enjoying McDonald's, I'll be dining at Peter Luger's.

zroid

Banned
Iwata said:
Virtual Console releases require testing, checking for present-day issues, and other various work. It's not that we don't want to put in the effort, but there's new software development, so we can't use our limited headcount just on old products.

The VC shaft is real

jholmes

You'll notice I didn't say to avoid it like Yo Noid, which would be a much better pick for the Virtual Console. It takes a decent Famicom platformer and fills it with all sorts of absurd early '90s EXTREME stuff. And the boss fights are pizza-eating card battles.

Seriously though if you've never played this spend your $10 on this instead of the worst StarFox game.

Remk

For those looking to buy some 3D classics I would suggest starting with After Burner II and Shinobi III.

Out of the arcade experiences After Burner is the most "fair" one and looks and feels great.
Shinobi III is one of the best Genesis games ever made and is the whole package with a challenging, fun and polished experience.

Also IIRC the PSP versions don't run perfectly. And a number of the games inb the 3D Classics line are actually the arcade originals, and in 2 cases, are based on the remade PS2 SEGA AGES versions (Fantasy Zone 2 and Galaxy Force 2).

I googled for, about 30 minutes, all I see are positive reviews for the collection. Genesis was my first gaming console, Sonic was my first game, if the 3DS port is better I'll get it but I've seen literally nothing negative about the psp collection (save some unincluded games).

But I don't have a PS3.
That's not how GAF works.

lol what does that even mean. I like that crono avi btw.

The worst version of a collection of bad backbone ports (which is still totally worth it because of the insane value of the thing) versus all new, 3D versions done by the best emulation company around....hmm...

The worst version? Sure it only has 28 games, but it's portable & has an insane value of game per dollar. I think we can remove that moniker, I'd definitely put it above the ps2 collection.

rjc571

Banned
For those looking to buy some 3D classics I would suggest starting with After Burner II and Shinobi III.

Out of the arcade experiences After Burner is the most "fair" one and looks and feels great.
Shinobi III is one of the best Genesis games ever made and is the whole package with a challenging, fun and polished experience.

Maybe I'm missing something, but After Burner is the least "fair" game I've ever played. My play sessions consisted entirely of me getting shot down every 5-10 seconds by missiles which I couldn't even see. Flying in figure 8 patterns and doing barrel rolls didn't seem to help.

Simbabbad

Maybe I'm missing something, but After Burner is the least "fair" game I've ever played. My play sessions consisted entirely of me getting shot down every 5-10 seconds by missiles which I couldn't even see. Flying in figure 8 patterns and doing barrel rolls didn't seem to help.
Exactly.

The 3D Classics I'd recommend are Space Harrier, Super Hang-On and obviously Out Run, all fair, brilliant games that make marvellous use of the 3DS's 3D effect. I have also bought Sonic, Streets of Rage, Galaxy Force II and After Burner, but the first two aren't really better than any other version, and the last two are pretty poor gameplay-wise, way too shallow and/or unfair (despite Galaxy Force II's 3D being impressive).

ohlawd

oh yeah GC2

I'm stuck at the panda section with the giant rotating saw. I must be missing something cuz that panda is slow as hell at climbing stuff. wanna finish the game but that part is painful and I can't do it :(

tuffy

oh yeah GC2

I'm stuck at the panda section with the giant rotating saw. I must be missing something cuz that panda is slow as hell at climbing stuff. wanna finish the game but that part is painful and I can't do it :(
I tried to keep timing my jumps so the panda would land near the top of everything, and I pushed him as far to the right as I could get away with. Took a lot of practice but I eventually cleared the stage. It's the one after the panda that I never got around to finishing.

I'm looking forward to the bundle anyway, though.

terrisus

lol what does that even mean.

That posting an advertisement for Sony in a thread which is specifically about Nintendo is off-topic and disruptive.
If people were interested in seeing Sony's offerings, they would go into Sony threads and check them out.

I mean, I would love to go into the various Steam threads and go "Yeah, but you can get this on GOG instead! And it won't be loaded down with that horrible Steam DRM either!"
But, I would pretty quickly be banned for that.

I like that crono avi btw.

Thanks =)

Ladekabel

oh yeah GC2

I don't remember exactly but I think you can press the d-pad to the right to speed it up. Could be another button but I'm sure you had to press a button to make it go faster.

When you see it :p

I don't get it.

Tizoc

I don't remember exactly but I think you can press the d-pad to the right to speed it up. Could be another button but I'm sure you had to press a button to make it go faster.

I don't get it.

Earth Dance font resembles Earthbound font :p

Experien

I had a friend over last night to play some games and then I realized that most of my couch co-op games were "party games" such as:

Sports Ball
Runbow
Exorcism
Nintendo Land
Paparazzi

Don't get me wrong, we had fun, but they seemed better if there were more people involved. Any recommendations on co-op games for 2 that have a little more depth to them?

foltzie1

I had a friend over last night to play some games and then I realized that most of my couch co-op games were "party games" such as:

Sports Ball
Runbow
Exorcism
Nintendo Land
Paparazzi

Don't get me wrong, we had fun, but they seemed better if there were more people involved. Any recommendations on co-op games for 2 that have a little more depth to them?

Nintendo Land has quite a bit of depth, but there is always Mario Kart, Splatoon, and Smash if you want more.

I've only encountered one glitch in Never Alone. The girl essentially turned into liquid and fell through a platform. It was funny.

I would only play through this in multiplayer though. Had a blast playing through it with my girlfriend. She's going to use the game as a teaching tool in her classroom this fall when her kids do their unit on Native American art.

terrisus

Earth Dance font resembles Earthbound font :p

I mean, if by "resemble" you mean "both consist of 2 words, the first being Earth, the second having the same number of letters and starting with a letter which is similar in its orthographic construction," sure.

Otherwise, the font itself - not really. A stretch at best.

Tizoc

I mean, if by "resemble" you mean "both consist of 2 words, the first being Earth, the second having the same number of letters and starting with a letter which is similar in its orthographic construction," sure.

Otherwise, the font itself - not really. A stretch at best.

Must be my eyes then cuz it reminds me of the Earthbound font ^^;

ohlawd

I knew complaining on GAF would help

yeah I've been doing what you guys have been doing like timing the jumps right for no climbing and speeding. needed that extra push to finish that damn level

now I'm riding toward the sunset. this game does cinematics better than most AAA games >_>

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Sports Ball
Runbow
Exorcism
Nintendo Land
Paparazzi

Super Mario 3d World
New Super Mario Bros U
Disney Infinitity
Skylanders Trap Team
Affordable Space Adventures
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

terrisus

Must be my eyes then cuz it reminds me of the Earthbound font ^^;

To be fair, there are a couple of similarities in the letters.
On the other hand, there are also letters which are formed entirely differently

USGNqeO.jpg

The middle line on the 'E' is in a different place (centered versus the first one off-centered). Also the middle line going through the vertical line versus stopping at the vertical line.
The 'A' is different (line near the bottom versus a triangle at the bottom)
The 'T' is different (slanted versus straight)
The 'D' is different (connected and bigger versus smaller and disconnected)
The 'N' is different (connected versus disconnected)

I think that's all of the differences, although I may have missed something.

jholmes

Sports Ball
Runbow
Exorcism
Nintendo Land
Paparazzi

Can't believe no one else has mentioned Hyrule Warriors yet, probably the best co-op title on the system.

If you're looking for a throwback, Legend of the Mystical Ninja.

Also it was already mentioned but Super Mario 3D World bears repeating.

Top Bottom