• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2015

fernoca

So, I guess Affordable Space Adventures did well enough for them to make DLC?

Haven't heard about sales and was worried it wasn't performing as well as they expected.

BooJoh

I have mixed feelings on Dr. Mario Miracle Cure. On one hand it adds some fresh ideas to Dr. Mario. On the other hand, it's pretty barebones presentation-wise and it's mind-boggling that they'd remove simple features that have been present since the first game.

Pros:
+Miracle Cures add an interesting new element to the game
+Endless Mode
+Several play variations
+Miracle Cure Lab adds challenges that are like preset puzzles
+Classic virus designs are back

Cons:
-No music select
-No music select
-No music select
-Miracle Cure toggles endless mode on and off, so there's no Endless without Miracle Cures and no Stage Mode with Miracle Cures (unless you count the challenges which are few in number)
-No 3D effect during gameplay
-No Mii integration like in Dr. Mario Online Rx (I'm probably the only person who wants this feature)
-Dr. Luigi virus designs are completely absent even as an option
-The special scenes after beating levels 5, 10, 15, etc on Med-High seem to be gone entirely, which makes me sad.
-No music select

Regarding the music, there seem to be 6 songs present and as far as I can tell they're randomly selected upon starting a game:
Dr. Mario: Fever, Chill
Dr. Luigi: Dizzy, Drowsy
Virus Buster: Relaxed Fever, Relaxed Chill

Honestly it seems like the most complete and feature-packed version of Dr. Mario to-date, there's just a few curiosities that make you scratch your head. It kind of makes me think whoever developed it was competent, but didn't put much love into it.

NIR08B8.gif

I'm curious who made this version since Arika seems to not have made this one. Are the credits easily accessible?

There's no credits in the digital manual and I don't see any credits ingame anywhere. Not sure if there's a credit roll at any point.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So, I guess Affordable Space Adventures did well enough for them to make DLC?

Haven't heard about sales and was worried it wasn't performing as well as they expected.

It seems so. Especially since they make a free DLC first. On the other hand, making a free DLC is a good promotion idea, as it will bump up the sales without a price drop (being present in Nintendo's PR and getting some buzz from Nintendo sites around).

GulAtiCa

Yep. Free content does a good bit to generate buzz and get people playing your game again.

I just released a new patch that added nearly everything in a new patch for my game, and Miiverse activity & twitter talk is way up.

Does anyone have any input on the following Wii U eShop games?

Unepic
Rock Zombie
Lone Survivor
Master Reboot

All of them are on sale (NA) at the moment. I've watched the trailers so I get the basic idea of them, but I'm wondering if any are worth buying. Like I know Rock Zombie is about beating zombies to death with guitars, but is it a decent beat 'em up or a boring waste of time?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

69wpm

Unepic
Rock Zombie
Lone Survivor
Master Reboot

All of them are on sale (NA) at the moment. I've watched the trailers so I get the basic idea of them, but I'm wondering if any are worth buying. Like I know Rock Zombie is about beating zombies to death with guitars, but is it a decent beat 'em up or a boring waste of time?

I enjoyed Master Reboot quite a lot. Very atmospheric game, kinda creepy with interesting puzzles and a very nice art style. Can't say anything about the other games as I haven't played them.

Dee Dee

Unepic
Rock Zombie
Lone Survivor
Master Reboot

I played Lone Survivor on the PC. Very eerie horror survival game, that has you scouting your old apartment building for the essentials. Weird zombies lure in the dark. You will sometimes find pills, that will cost you sanity - it all goes downhill from there.
It has multiple endings and things get pretty intense once you are able to leave the building (or enter it even deeper).

I think it is really strong in the atmosphere it creates, but the story is quite convoluted and I am not even sure there is a canon ending. Sometimes you just doze off into a pill induced sleep, where you are finally reunited with your loved ones. And this is one of your more optimistic outlooks. I have not seen all of the endings though.

If you dig the pixel look and can deal with the unsettling feeling of having no idea what is going on, I can recommend it. Just don't get frustrated when you are stuck, there are a lot of mechanics in there with food, ammo and sanity needing to be managed, and you will be going in blind with no explanation whatsoever.

sörine

Banned

Unepic
Rock Zombie
Lone Survivor
Master Reboot

Unepic is a great sidescrolling action rpg and probably one of the best games on the eShop at all. BUY!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I forgot to mention with so many Star Wars nerds and the amiibo rush I said fuck it and preordered DI 3.0 SW Edition for Wii U. Not gonna take my chances.

Unepic
Rock Zombie
Lone Survivor
Master Reboot

UnEpic is really legit even if I thought the opening story section didn't immediately grab me. Once you got to playing it was really fun.

jholmes

Unepic
Rock Zombie
Lone Survivor
Master Reboot

Only one I played is Lone Survivor. Everything Dee Dee said is true, but I felt like the game fell a little short of my expectations so I'd give it a more cautious recommend. It goes for unsettling but for the most part it really only manages to be 16-bit Resident Evil with some moments where things briefly go off the rails. This is also a game that can be had for far less on PC and has little going for it on Wii U, if money is a big factor.

That said if you read Dee Dee's post and were giving the screen a thumbs up the whole time, dive in. You should enjoy yourself.

man, Virtual Console is such a joke. weeks and weeks of terrible releases.

hundreds of amazing N64/DS games out there, and every week? nothin.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's more of the 3rd parties need to agree to re-release ther N64 & DS games. Though yes, Nintendo does have some N64/DS games of their own that deserve to be re-released.

terrisus

I also hope that's a combined total, because - and I say this as a fan of the N64 - there are definitely not "hundreds of amazing N64 games."

Heck, I own around 70 N64 games, and I wouldn't even say there are one hundred "amazing" N64 games.

steveovig

man, Virtual Console is such a joke. weeks and weeks of terrible releases.

hundreds of amazing N64/DS games out there, and every week? nothin.

I disagree a little. May was a pretty decent month for releases and I was surprised on some weeks, specifically the last week. This week was shit though. Why not release two Natsume games instead of one? Would that really affect the sales of either one?

donny2112

I also hope that's a combined total, because - and I say this as a fan of the N64 - there are definitely not "hundreds of amazing N64 games."

Heck, I own around 70 N64 games, and I wouldn't even say there are one hundred "amazing" N64 games.

N64 was a tentpole system. ~1 historically great game every 6 months. Some good games in-between but not a lot, no.

3DS stuff:

Johnny Dynamite is actually pretty fun. I like jetpack and dynamite mechanics. I played about two thirds of the game's 54 levels already. It's not a long game, but it has a level designer if you're into that sort of thing. It's now $3.99 on the 3DS eShop.

I already picked up another $20 eShop card. It's so addicting, and I always want money in my account.

Got to decide what I want between Rayman GBC or the DSi-ware game, Earthworm Jim, Super Mario Bros 3, or that Steamworld Tower Defense game by the same dev who did Steamworld Dig.

I'm also wondering what kind of sales we'll have around E3. I heard Ocarina of Time went on sale around then before. I have it on N64, but I don't have it on my 3DS yet, and now the game has gone up in price.

Also Skypeace is also the only game I've bought that only costs $1. The art is actually pretty neat and the gameplay is generally solid.

If only the VC would be more active. I'm looking forward to Gunstar Heroes which was supposed to come to 3DS, I think.

terrisus

N64 was a tentpole system. ~1 historically great game every 6 months. Some good games in-between but not a lot, no.

It was a strange time for me, because I finally was earning money and could buy games myself - the system came out when I was a few months shy of turning 14, and I had mowed lawns all summer to purchase the system, Mario 64, and Pilotwings 64 on launch day. Then, I got a paper route at 15, and a regular influx of money for that. Much of that had to go out to relationship-related expenses (this was back when phone calls outside of one's area code were toll calls, and I would have a $200-a-month phone bill I had to pay most months), but I was single
(not by choice. No one wanted me >.>)
from 17 (2000) through 19 (2002), and so had no real expenses to speak of during that time - but a lack of a regular influx of games to purchase. So I ended up purchasing a bunch of mediocre games just because I had the money and nothing else to do with it (yeah, I know, I should have saved it... Or done something productive with it... Yes, I have many regrets in my life >.>), and would buy games like Paperboy 64 and Golden Nugget 64 and Virtual Pool and such new at full price >.>

But, yes, there were some amazing games for the N64. And some hidden gems (or, I loved them at least) like Shadowgate 64 and Aidyn Chronicles and Tetrisphere and such as well.

Vanillalite

Going into E3 my tops for both systems would be...

Wii U
Retail - Splatoon
Downloadable - Elliot Quest

3DS
Retail - Majoras Mask
Downloadable - Pokemon Shuffle (I guess)

maxcriden

3DS stuff:

Johnny Dynamite is actually pretty fun. I like jetpack and dynamite mechanics. I played about two thirds of the game's 54 levels already. It's not a long game, but it has a level designer if you're into that sort of thing. It's now $3.99 on the 3DS eShop.

I already picked up another $20 eShop card. It's so addicting, and I always want money in my account.

Got to decide what I want between Rayman GBC or the DSi-ware game, Earthworm Jim, Super Mario Bros 3, or that Steamworld Tower Defense game by the same dev who did Steamworld Dig.

IIRC you want the DSI Rayman and not the GBC one which is much worse. I assume you've played SMB3 before. If not, for sure get that. But Rayman should be your top priority otherwise if you haven't played that. Although I really hope the 99 lives cheat exists for that version.

DagsJT

What would people say is the best Match 3 game on the 3DS? I loved Puzzle Quest back on the DS (I think?) and Pokémon Shuffle is fun although you can't play for long without paying. So I'm looking for a good Match 3 similar to PQ really.

Benedict

I think I have a problem with my N3DS.
Even though It's connected to the cradle or directly to the charger it won't charge.
The battery keeps being at low (blinking red) and because of this I can't update the system.

Is this a known problem?
Solutions?

It's been in the charger when I don't use it, and I havent used it in two weeks.
So I only discovered it when I went and opened the system.

Swords and Darkness is legiiiiiiiiiit. Think River City Ransom, Castlevania and a sprinkling of rouge like stuff. I love it! Probably one of the best eShop releases in a long while.

It prompted me to pick up the Ninja puzzle game from ASW as well.

It's weird that most of their good-looking eShop games haven't hit yet, they've only really released stuff like Family Karting/Tennis/Bowling etc. Brave Tank Hero and Gotcha Racing localized by Natsume look to be way more interesting than the Family series.

Vanillalite

What would people say is the best Match 3 game on the 3DS? I loved Puzzle Quest back on the DS (I think?) and Pokémon Shuffle is fun although you can't play for long without paying. So I'm looking for a good Match 3 similar to PQ really.

Puzzles and Dragons

Pokemaniac

Pokemon Battle Trozei is pretty nice.

TheMoon

I think I have a problem with my N3DS.
Even though It's connected to the cradle or directly to the charger it won't charge.
The battery keeps being at low (blinking red) and because of this I can't update the system.

Is this a known problem?
Solutions?

It's been in the charger when I don't use it, and I havent used it in two weeks.
So I only discovered it when I went and opened the system.

Sounds like you need a new battery? Your profile says you're from Sweden, I have no idea how customer service works over there but try contacting them.

Benedict

Sounds like you need a new battery? Your profile says you're from Sweden, I have no idea how customer service works over there but try contacting them.

I bought it from Amazon.fr.

Customer service in Sweden usually isn't that great. It's Bergsala AB who takes care of that, not Nintendo. If I'm out of luck they'll refuse to do anything since it's not bought in Sweden.

TheMoon

I bought it from Amazon.fr.

Customer service in Sweden usually isn't that great. It's Bergsala AB who takes care of that, not Nintendo. If I'm out of luck they'll refuse to do anything since it's not bought in Sweden.

Hmmm... at least it's a EU system. Maybe a gaffer from France could help out.

Robin64

Got to play Affordable Space Adventures multiplayer today. Damn! Really really good. There's no co-op like it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
3DS stuff:
\
I'm also wondering what kind of sales we'll have around E3. I heard Ocarina of Time went on sale around then before. I have it on N64, but I don't have it on my 3DS yet, and now the game has gone up in price.

I finished Majora's Mask last month and now I have $40 sitting in my account waiting to buy Ocarina of Time. Last year it did go on sale during E3 week: http://**************/2014/06/nintendo-eshop-e3-sale/

But I feel like its real foolish to expect the exact same sale again this year. Its more likely that we'd see Majora's Mask or Hyrule Warriors or something else rather than the exact same thing as the previous year.

I think I"m going to go ahead and buy it. I feel like a foolish fool if it does go on sale next week, but I'm going out of town on Monday and it'd be nice to have something to place in the hotel room while watching those conferences.

maxcriden

At least the challenge mode finally adds some sort of single-player content beyond the usual stuff, even if it is pretty meager.

Challenge Mode, eh? What's that all about?

I finished Majora's Mask last month and now I have $40 sitting in my account waiting to buy Ocarina of Time. Last year it did go on sale during E3 week: http://**************/2014/06/nintendo-eshop-e3-sale/

But I feel like its real foolish to expect the exact same sale again this year. Its more likely that we'd see Majora's Mask or Hyrule Warriors or something else rather than the exact same thing as the previous year.

I think I"m going to go ahead and buy it. I feel like a foolish fool if it does go on sale next week, but I'm going out of town on Monday and it'd be nice to have something to place in the hotel room while watching those conferences.

I dunno, Adam. If I'm not too late to change your mind, I'd say play something else in the meantime. I say this b/c OoT and similar evergreen titles rarely go on sale but if they're going to E3 is the prime time for it. I think it's pretty possible it'll go on sale again and you've waited this long so I'd say go with something else in the meantime. :) Just my two cents, though. If I'm too late to change your mind, well, OoT is worth a heck of a lot more than $40 for the experience! I'm assuming you've played the game before, though.

Also, I sold my cart so I'm waiting for a sale too since I've barely scratched the surface of OoT 3D. I think Phantom Hourglass is my next Zelda, though.

Rayman on the GBC is actually a pretty great demake that combines stuff from Rayman 2 and the original in 8 bit form. I recommend it over the DSi version.

If it were 10 years ago and handhelds were more prevalent in the west, we'd have probably gotten an awesome 3Dized version of the original Rayman with some expanded content or something. :(

maxcriden

Rayman on the GBC is actually a pretty great demake that combines stuff from Rayman 2 and the original in 8 bit form. I recommend it over the DSi version.

If it were 10 years ago and handhelds were more prevalent in the west, we'd have probably gotten an awesome 3Dized version of the original Rayman with some expanded content or something. :(

Ugh, I wish (I mean, I'd play it in 2D but I'd welcome it nonethless, esp. vs. the crappy Rayman 2 port we got). In the meantime Rayman 3 GBA is an under-appreciated side-scrolling gem in the series.

So Rayman GBC is 8-bit? Evidently my memories of it are failing me, or I didn't play enough of it. I guess I'll check it out then. The DSi one is a faithful port though IIRC so closer to the PSX experience. With that said it has this dreadful picture-taking feature at checkpoints. I don't want my photo taken in games. @_@

maxcriden

The direct for today is in one hour, right? So only one hour until they confirm Mother 3 coming to VC, right? Right?

It's the Smash Direct today. Unless they reveal that as part of the news about Lucas, it seems lol that would be saved for the Digital Event on Tuesday. It could happen during the Smash Direct to build up some extra hype for E3, though!

Ladekabel

It's the Smash Direct today. Unless they reveal that as part of the news about Lucas, it seems lol that would be saved for the Digital Event on Tuesday. It could happen during the Smash Direct to build up some extra hype for E3, though!

I want it to happen during the Smash Direct because of Lucas! Didn't they announce Duck Hunt for VC in an Smash related direct, too? That is what is giving me hope.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
ALL DA SMASH STUFF OUT TODAY, I.E. RIGHT NOW.

eShop seems to be experiencing a TON of traffic because LUCAS AND RYU AND ROY AND TWO NEW STAGES AND MORE MII OUTFITS AND AAAAAHHHHHH

Top Bottom