• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - November 2014

I'm eyeing Demon's Crest and have never played it. I want to try new VC games since I already have the mainstays or plan on picking them up.

Preferably SNES games as I'm more familiar with the system than NES.

If you want a game that epitomizes awesome 2D visuals for the SNES then this is the one. Game is still freaking gorgeous after all these years.

I like it. The only real knock on it is that there's no battery save, but you can do like me and just make save states when you generate a new password.
I've done this for Mega Man X as well, so I'd be fine with that.
If you want a game that epitomizes awesome 2D visuals for the SNES then this is the one. Game is still freaking gorgeous after all these years.
The gameplay on the trailer looks sort of slow. Is that representative or is it a bit faster than the trailers lead me to believe?

Any other VC suggestions are welcome, though I'm aware the picks are sadly slim atm.

The gameplay on the trailer looks sort of slow. Is that representative or is it a bit faster than the trailers lead me to believe?

Any other VC suggestions are welcome, though I'm aware the picks are sadly slim atm.

It is more of a technical action game than something like Contra III. A lot of the gameplay revolves around timed flying and grappling onto surfaces. I guess you could call it kinda "slow". If you want fast I would recommend Contra III. That game is quite the spectacle visually as well. Contra III or Castlevania IV are both god-tier SNES action games imo.

jholmes

The game is really all about exploring stages and fighting bosses. The enemies are really just there in stages to get in the way of exploration. If you find poking around levels to figure out where to go a bit slow, yeah, you'll find this slow, although the levels are short so the pace is pretty quick. The boss fights, however, are pretty fast-paced and occasionally quite tough.

As for other things to recommend on VC, that entirely depends on what you're into and what you've already played, so tough to say... maybe Wild Guns?

It is more of a technical action game than something like Contra III. A lot of the gameplay revolves around timed flying and grappling onto surfaces. I guess you could call it kinda "slow". If you want fast I would recommend Contra III. That game is quite the spectacle visually as well. Contra III or Castlevania IV are both god-tier SNES action games imo.
Hmm. Sounds like a good change of pace then, I have or had both Castlevania 4 and Contra and they are indeed amazing. How does Dracula X stack up to 4?
The game is really all about exploring stages and fighting bosses. The enemies are really just there in stages to get in the way of exploration. If you find poking around levels to figure out where to go a bit slow, yeah, you'll find this slow, although the levels are short so the pace is pretty quick. The boss fights, however, are pretty fast-paced and occasionally quite tough.

As for other things to recommend on VC, that entirely depends on what you're into and what you've already played, so tough to say... maybe Wild Guns?
I love platformers and action games, not a fan at all of RPGs.

jholmes

Hmm. Sounds like a good change of pace then, I have or had both Castlevania 4 and Contra and they are indeed amazing. How does Dracula X stack up to 4?

If you like fast-paced action games, definitely give Wild Guns a look. It's kinda hard and you'll need the sort of get-back-to-it patience we all had 20 years ago as it's almost arcade-style, but it's a fantastic game.

Have you played Ufouria? It's certainly on the slow side but as far as those hidden gems go, it's one of the better ones on the Virtual Console. Other than that, I dunno... have you played Super Punch-Out? Can't go wrong with that.

Dracula X for SNES is kinda underwhelming. Didn't feel like much love went into that game tbh. It's an alright Castlevania, but rather bland. Compared to IV it's trash.

You might really like Demon's Crest. You can transform into different demons, each with their own unique abilities and speeds. It's a pretty awesome game. The previous games in the series had more RPG elements, but this one tones it down quite a bit.

jnWake

I don't think I've ever played a Castlevania game. Wii U VC has many of them, which one is recommended to start?

chronosic

I'd recommend 4 for the classic level based castlevanias, and for the metroidvania styled ones my favourites are circle of the moon and aria of sorrow

I don't think I've ever played a Castlevania game. Wii U VC has many of them, which one is recommended to start?

I would start with Castlevania IV or Aria of Sorrow. CV IV for an incredible straightforward action Castlevania, and Aria of Sorrow for one of the best action RPG Castlevanias.

If you like fast-paced action games, definitely give Wild Guns a look. It's kinda hard and you'll need the sort of get-back-to-it patience we all had 20 years ago as it's almost arcade-style, but it's a fantastic game.

Have you played Ufouria? It's certainly on the slow side but as far as those hidden gems go, it's one of the better ones on the Virtual Console. Other than that, I dunno... have you played Super Punch-Out? Can't go wrong with that.
Wild Guns actually did catch my interest, and I love Super Punch Out but felt too ripped off to waste my Club Nintendo points on a Wii download.

The following also have my interest:
Cybernator
Final Fight series

That Ufouria game looks great and reminds me that Sunsoft were the NES kings.

orborborb

Castlevania I, III, IV, and Rondo of Blood (boot up into the Wii VC for this one, Dracula X on the Wii U VC is an inferior version of this game)

All are great games and great starting points. Symphony of the Night and Bloodlines on the Playstation 1 and Genesis are equally good but not available on the Wii U.

Castelvania II is for the NES historian with a stack of old Nintendo Powers and a willingness to imagine playground rumors and dial-up hint lines as part of the fun.

The GBA and DS Castlevanias are just inferior versions of Symphony of the Night. Dawn of the Sorrow on the DS is probably the most worth playing. I don't think that's made it to the Wii U yet but DS games are supposed to be coming. The GBA Aria of Sorrow is also fine if you really want to try out this style of Castelvania on the Wii U right now.

jholmes

Cybernator
Final Fight series

I don't love Cybernator and it's kinda slow but if you like Demon's Crest it's probably about that speed. Cybernator definitely has its fans though so don't let me put you off it.

Final Fight is really monotonous but also fun, especially with a friend. I got the third one in their sale way back and had fun but I also never went back to it.

Chopper

I predict that we will find ourselves in Community shortly.
I wouldn't have thought so.

The Sony thread was essentially a Vita community thread anyway, with a smattering of release news. This thread serves its purpose brilliantly and are informative enough to justify being in the gaming section.

My only fear now is that the playstation releases are gonna be even harder to find. This thread's discussion revolves around the releases and their dates, but now no such Sony equivalent exists. Odd.

TheMoon

You essentially have to buy the game twice at roughly the same time to get the discount - usually one version has been offered before to get people to double dip on the second.

Again, that's perfectly normal. There have been a bunch of launch sales like this, even for VC games early on. Buy one, get ?% off the other. This is no different. Hell, this exact thing has been happening during the last four weeks with the DKC-sale!.

tolkir

Bye Gaming Discussion.

tumblr_m7thdj68WD1qhm3r5o6_500_zpsbd32d291.gif

Mod posted in the Steam thread. I think it is relevant info:
Sorry for the rough wake up, but as you can see we're trying something new. Less general-platform-type year-round (via repeating monthly / when needed or just staying yearly in a thread), all-encompassing threads in Gaming, more actual specific, this is happening right now type gaming threads. Community isn't supposed to be a dead place where threads go to disappear, so maybe this will liven up the Community forums as well.
So that confuses me, should there be threads on gaming for each press release as that is more of a "actual specific, this is happening right now type gaming threads".

Chopper

Well, it kinda is. It's basically the retail version of this thread, spread across the whole year.
I was referring to the screenshot thread, tbh. But I can understand moving that one too. They try to discourage megathreads, right? Any noteworthy retail release news will warrant its own thread, after all.

These threads are concise and informative enough to warrant being in the main forum, if you ask me. Which no one did.

So that confuses me, should there be threads on gaming for each press release as that is more of a "actual specific, this is happening right now type gaming threads".
Confuses me too.

These weekly release threads are important. Unfortunately they set a daft precedemt by closing the Vita community thread and turning the PSN thread into one big megathread, making it ineffectual and turning it into a Vita community thread anyway. Rather than reinstating the Vita community and having a useful PSN release thread, this happens. And we've been lumped in the same category.

TheMoon

Sounds like 80% of threads should actually be posted in Community then? The "LTTP/RTTP" "What's your favorite XYZ" "recommend me some gamz" type threads?!

radcliff

Final Fight series

Speaking of Final Fight, if Capcom put Final Fight One (GBA) on the Wii U VC, would it be able to support the 2 player mode? Even if it couldn't, there should be a way for Capcom to add it as they added online play to Super SF 2 (Genesis) for Wii VC.

If they did that, I would highly recommend FF One over the SNES FF as it has all 3 characters, 2-player co-op, more enemies on screen, and the industrial level that was cut from the SNES version. SNES version has more accurate colors and music, but I would willing to live with those sacrifices for the benefits of the GBA version.

Minsc

Gold Member
The idea is to have general purpose threads in community, and specific threads in gaming. Things can still change, and I thought this was a monthly thread?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
When Community launched the mods should have taken the bold step of putting every single brand new OT in there and moved everyone created on Gaming there until it became a second home. Doing the whole wait a month deal made it "the place where gaming threads go to die" instead of having people take their medicine right away.

That being said I love community but it does tend to scare people away and prevent many new people from going to community. Fantasy Life's thread just got moved here too even though the game is only ten days out in the primary region of this board's posters and I expect talk to seriously drag on that one.

Chopper

The idea is to have general purpose threads in community, and specific threads in gaming. Things can still change, and I thought this was a monthly thread?
It is. But "monthly" seems like a pretty arbitrary benchmark. It is a comprehensive news thread. Is the alternative a weekly thread instead, individual threads for each announcement, or just the hope that people will venture into Community to establish what's releasing when?

L~A

Damn, quoted the wrong message, ha ha.

Suddenly that Nov. 6 "release date" for Shovel Knight makes a bit more sense, no? ;)

zroid

Banned
It is. But "monthly" seems like a pretty arbitrary benchmark. It is a comprehensive news thread. Is the alternative a weekly thread instead, individual threads for each announcement, or just the hope that people will venture into Community to establish what's releasing when?

yeah i dunno, since it's moved to community anyway, maybe it'd be better to just have one continuous thread?

i get why monthly threads are helpful in the main forum (easier to organize and acquire relevant information), but in community?

in any case, i suppose we will be doing weekly PR threads from now on, which is fine I guess

Minsc

Gold Member

I think the idea is more people should use community for general all-encompassing threads like this, and individual announcements that you (or anyone) has actual interest in discussing and playing at the moment have new threads made for discussing them.

So 20 new games / news items are released during the week and they get indexed / mentioned here, that's fine, and useful, but now if you're interested in playing and discussing any of those games, you simply would create a thread to discuss that specific game like normal. If this structure doesn't work out, we can always go back.

Chopper

I think the idea is more people should use community for general all-encompassing threads like this, and individual announcements that you (or anyone) has actual interest in discussing and playing at the moment have new threads made for discussing them.

So 20 new games / news items are released during the week and they get indexed / mentioned here, that's fine, and useful, but now if you're interested in playing and discussing any of those games, you simply would create a thread to discuss that specific game like normal. If this structure doesn't work out, we can always go back.
Interesting theory. So no weekly thread? I guess we'll see if that works out.

sörine

Banned
I wonder if NOA held back on upcoming VC announcements last week due to the impending Direct? I sort of expect the DKC trilogy to be announced but what I'm really hoping for is TG16 and Square Enix.

TheMoon

sörine;137312515 said:
I wonder if NOA held back on upcoming VC announcements last week due to the impending Direct? I sort of expect the DKC trilogy to be announced but what I'm really hoping for is TG16 and Square Enix.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa, let's not get crazy here. Square Enix, lol, are you nuts! :D

also

Banned

There are two styles of castlevania games.
The games on (S)NES and other consoles are punishing, linear platformers with limited character mobility that require you carefully time your jumps and attacks.

The games on GBA and NDS (and Symohony of the Night) are quick action games that usually require you to explore a big castle. The difficulty is way lower and there's an emphasis on RPG elements; levelling up, switching gear. This games fit under the metroidvania label.

Out of the classic Castlevania games I've played (I, III, The adventure (GB), Rondo of Blood and it's remake) I like III the most. It has multiple paths and partners, so there's replayability and the level design is really varied. I was super impressed that such a modern feeling game came out so long ago. Be warned though, the game is hard, like really hard, so I'm hesitant to recommend it as your first classic Castlevania.
That's why you should probably start with Rondo of Blood (only available in Wii mode so far). If you have a PSP or Vita (NA only), you could instead get Dracula Chronicles X, which is an uglier but otherwise superior remake of Rondo of Blood. You can also unlock the original version and Symphony of the Night.

Speaking of Symphony, many say that it's the best metroidvania but to me that's just nostalgia talking; the game lacks challenge to the point of being boring. Aria of Sorrow is my favorite out of the metroidvanias and I've played them all except Circle of the Moon which supposedly more closely resembles the classic games than other metroidvanias.

The original NES game is also enjoyable but kind of basic and short.

The GBA and DS Castlevanias are just inferior versions of Symphony of the Night. Dawn of the Sorrow on the DS is probably the most worth playing. I don't think that's made it to the Wii U yet but DS games are supposed to be coming. The GBA Aria of Sorrow is also fine if you really want to try out this style of Castelvania on the Wii U right now.
Maybe if you're wearing nostalgia goggles. Symphony was the only metroidvania I had to force myself to finish; the game is just that boring.

Aria of Sorrow is hands down the best Metroidvania; the soul system just adds so much variety.

Top Bottom