• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo E3 demo Best Buy locations revealed [Update: Canada]

Hmm... Closest one is like 3 hours away (Georgia). So... Not sure if I'm gonna go or not. It's incredibly tempting, but that's like 6 hours of driving for probably like a 20 minute demo (if that).

Man, these places are going to be a total shit show.

Yep. hahaha. Was going to plan on heading out after the ND on June 11th and trying some of the games out, but if there are only two windows with four hours each, I don't think most of the people who want to will get a chance to play these games. People are going to be driving from all over, and there will be lines. No way.

They should double the number of Best Buys and have the game demos run from open-til close Tuesday-Thursday, and even then it would probably still be hard to get a chance to play.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Worth noting:

The PR states that over 100 stores will be participating in the event. But I counted 89 stores in the PR listing, and the actual website lists considerably less stores then that. This could mean that more stores will be added later and the website listing is incomplete.

Also, stores participation are subject to change.

Brofield

21 in Canada...

God help me and everyone in Toronto and the GTA that are gonna be crowing Yonge-Dundas.

I guarantee that 4 hour block is gonna have a cutoff line with more people being turned away than actually getting to play it.

ultron87

Worth noting:

The PR states that over 100 stores will be participating in the event. But I counted 89 stores in the PR listing, and the actual website lists considerably less stores then that. This could mean that more stores will be added later and the website listing is incomplete.

Also, stores participation are subject to change.

I think the over 100 count includes Canada stores which aren't listed.

RMI

Banned
Syracuse NY is about 45 minutes away from me by car... It might be worth the drive. Any idea of what games they'll be demoing>?

Skiesofwonder

I think the over 100 count includes Canada stores which aren't listed.

Yeah I just fully read the PR. 89 stores in the United States, 21 in Canada.

I still have no idea why the website is listing less stores then the PR. The website is suppose to be the "up-to-date list".

Anth0ny

wait

They’ll be playable between 4 PM and 8 PM local time on June 12 and between 1 PM and 5 PM local time on June 15.

what the FUCK is this

what is the point? do they not realize people work?

21 in Canada...

God help me and everyone in Toronto and the GTA that are gonna be crowing Yonge-Dundas.

I guarantee that 4 hour block is gonna have a cutoff line with more people being turned away than actually getting to play it.

I wouldn't mind doing a Toronto meet up at a less populated location... Yonge and Dundas is going to be packed, most likely. I want to be speed running those Wind Waker and Mario demos by the end of this.

So. Nintendo took what sounds like a good idea and messed it up. Why not all stores? Why not release them also on the Wii u store? Why not a month or so instead of 8 hours. Isn't the point to expose these games to people who don't have a Wii u? the odds of hitting those people in this tight window is rare.

Nintendo should make some of their E3 demos as temporary eShop downloads, maybe just for the week, that expire as soon as it's over. Nothing huge, maybe just Sonic Lost World and Mario Kart Wii U.

Not expecting playable Smash or anything like that.

Rodimus

Banned
As it isn't all of them, hopefully they add a few more in Southern California as Culver City is the only one and it's a much bigger area than that...

Skiesofwonder

So. Nintendo took what sounds like a good idea and messed it up. Why not all stores? Why not release them also on the Wii u store? Why not a month or so instead of 8 hours. Isn't the point to expose these games to people who don't have a Wii u? the odds of hitting those people in this tight window is rare.

It is pretty obvious that they want to create a frenzy around the WiiU demo stations on those days. People will be lining up hours beforehand I'm guessing.

There will be huge lines. I don't think exposure is the problem. I live an hour away from the nearest participating store, and I briefly entertained the idea of driving over there to try it out. I talked myself out of it because I don't think I'll get a chance to play, too many other people who live nearby will already be there.

Nintendo missed a huge opportunity here to let these demos go up on the eshop with maybe 5 trials or something.

would be amazing for consumers to get to play stuff we hear about at E3.

oh well.

antonz

It is pretty obvious that they want to create a frenzy around the WiiU demo stations on those days. People will be lining up hours beforehand I'm guessing.

That and since they are E3 DEMOS they likely will be manned by regional representatives for resets etc. Site also mentions Luigi loot giveaways while supplies last

OctoWara289

Neo Member
I don't get all of the people complaining. They could have simply kept the games to the E3 show-floor and not have done this nice thing for us...

Anth0ny

I think they might be overestimating the appeal of the Wii U. They did a similar thing before the launch of the Wii U. Not only was it now crowded hours before hand, but not very many people showed up at all. I was speed running NSMB U by the end of the day.

This is just a pain in the ass. Make the fucking demos available all day Wednesday-Saturday, you jerks.

Wait this is 4 hours a day for 2 days? Wow.........I mean WOW.......

Half-assed event for a half-assed console.

Not half-assed. We're talking a console with billions of dollars in R&D invested in it, and developed over a period of five years. Quite the opposite of half-assed. This is Nintendo's baby for the next five years.

I think they might be overestimating the appeal of the Wii U. They did a similar thing before the launch of the Wii U. Not only was it now crowded hours before hand, but not very many people showed up at all. I was speed running NSMB U by the end of the day.

This is just a pain in the ass. Make the fucking demos available all day Wednesday-Saturday, you jerks.

To be fair, this is different than the Wii U launch mall tours. These will be games literally announced on June 11th that will be made playable to the public the following day. Completely unprecedented. Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart... big stuff.

Ridley327

Before anyone gets angry with Best Buy on the times and days, that was also Nintendo's call.

Nintendo is running this whole show; we just happen to be the retailer that had the floor space they were looking for to run it.

Penguin

Again, they probably want staff there at all times in case the device locks up or has problems.
Same as any other pre-release demo event.

Before anyone gets angry with Best Buy on the times and days, that was also Nintendo's call.

Nintendo is running this whole show; we just happen to be the retailer that had the floor space they were looking for to run it.

But I'm certain Best Buy doesn't mind the increased foot traffic, or the impulse purchases likely to ensue. It's not like it's an inconvenience.

DaBoss

21 in Canada...

Wait, where do you see this?

Petrae

Limited hours/locations sound to me as though Nintendo is staffing these events itself, as opposed to just having BBY employees handle the media and let customers go to town.

Given the sensitive nature of the demos and the probability of crashes, forced resets, etc... it makes sense to have trained staff on-site to oversee the demo experience. Also probably means that lots of Nintendo retail reps aren't going to Los Angeles and will be working those BBY shifts instead.

How the hell did Atlanta get skipped lol

OTP North is considered reasonably close to Atlanta, so the Pleasant Hill one kind of makes sense

I kind of wonder if Best Buy gave them a list of stores that could use increased foot traffic (that Best Buy in particular has some construction going on outside it and a Fry's within spitting distance) and this wasn't entirely Nintendo's call on which ones to use.

Ridley327

But I'm certain Best Buy doesn't mind the increased foot traffic, or the impulse purchases likely to ensue. It's not like it's an inconvenience.

Oh no, of course it's a good thing for us to be the ones they went with, but we really have no say over what their plans are. If it was up to us, we would definitely have wanted them going throughout the whole day and throughout the whole of E3 week, but it isn't.

Limited hours/locations sound to me as though Nintendo is staffing these events itself, as opposed to just having BBY employees handle the media and let customers go to town.

Given the sensitive nature of the demos and the probability of crashes, forced resets, etc... it makes sense to have trained staff on-site to oversee the demo experience. Also probably means that lots of Nintendo retail reps aren't going to Los Angeles and will be working those BBY shifts instead.

You are correct, sir; Nintendo is going to show up slightly before the scheduled times start to work their magic on the Wii U kiosks and be stationed there for the duration, then pack up their things and leave until the next event.

VariantX

Not only are the locations stupid, but the hours as well?? You have a digital distribution system Nintendo, fucking use it already. Idiots.

Top Bottom