• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo financial briefing Q&A: the future of 3DS and Wii U

It sounds good and all, but they've been receiving criticism of droughts and horrible online implementation for the past ten years.

Their droughts, at least to this end consumer, appear just as bad as they always are. And they had plenty of time to just blatantly steal XBL and rebrand it. Ten years is a long time. I'll wait and see how these new "partnerships" actually change anything.

Erethian

I have already shared with you Nintendo’s position on this kind of activity. (During the Q&A session of the last Financial Briefing, I said, for one thing, that add-on stages and content, for which the developers have poured a significant amount of their creative resources into, should be offered for the consumers to purchase separately.) Nintendo will also offer something like this for the titles Nintendo publishes next year, in a way that should be appreciated by our consumers.

Didn't see this mentioned much, but it sounds like there is going to be a Nintendo 3DS game coming next year that will have paid DLC.

Any guesses on what it might be?

NateDrake

Erethian said:
Didn't see this mentioned much, but it sounds like there is going to be a Nintendo 3DS game coming next year that will have paid DLC.

Monster Hunter 4 would be my guess.

Freezie KO said:
It sounds good and all, but they've been receiving criticism of droughts and horrible online implementation for the past ten years.

Their droughts, at least to this end consumer, appear just as bad as they always are. And they had plenty of time to just blatantly steal XBL and rebrand it. Ten years is a long time. I'll wait and see how these new "partnerships" actually change anything.
Yeah, if there's one thing I've learned following Nintendo in the past 6 or 7 years, it's that Iwata always gives the perfect answers during Q&A's. They hardly ever deliver on their promises, though.

watershed

Banned
Erethian said:

There will be multiple Nintendo published games with paid DLC next year according to the quote.

I would say is Animal Crossing but I don't know what Nintendo could sell you besides various items and Iwata has already said they don't want to do paid item DLC like social games do.

Looking at a list of upcoming Nintendo made 3ds games I can't really figure which ones would have paid DLC.

Maybe there could be additional mansions for Luigi's mansion or something for Girls Mode but I can't imagine what besides items.

The Lamp

Erethian said:
I should be more clear, he's talking about first party titles there.

Maybe it'll be Animal Crossing.

Maybe they don't realize the gold mine they are sitting on if they support Animal Crossing 3DS throughout the years with new clothes/furniture/decoration DLC. Or maybe they do. It rakes in the money for LittleBigPlanet, imagine it for AC.

fernoca

Maybe it's the "elusive" Pokémon: Gray Version, and they'll charge for "Pokémon Packs" for those that don't have specific games to trade with; or just want to save time. Maybe include some new area wit ha few new challenges, a rare/hard to catch and a shiny to make the package more attractive to prospective buyers (and fans).

watershed

Banned
fernoca said:
Maybe it's the "elusive" Pokémon: Gray Version, and they'll charge for "Pokémon Packs" for those that don't have specific games to trade with; or just want to save time. Maybe include some new area wit ha few new challenges, a rare/hard to catch and a shiny to make the package more attractive to prospective buyers (and fans).
Oh yeah, I forgot about the inevitable mainline pokemon 3ds game. That would definitely be a good place for Nintendo to make its move into paid DLC territory. I imagine pokemon fans would be willing to pay for the stuff you mention and more.

RedSwirl

EatChildren said:
Man, I'm totally with you on Geist and Battalion Wars. A better higher budget and polished Geist would be sublime, as would something like Battalion Wars, but yeah, I don't think either has the ability to cash in on that market. I do agree they had it with GoldenEye though, but that was a different era.

And as cool as Star Wars is, it's in their best interest to create something new. It would help them to have an exclusive, unique shooter franchise that is iconic to their hardware. Rare filled a lot of the gaps and gave them new IPs during the N64 era, but they're yet to get anyone to fill the gaps.

Make it so, Nintendo.

Think Nintendo needs to see about acquiring another western studio?

LOCK said:
Iwata proves once again why he was made President of Nintendo.

IwataPrettyBoy.gif

Erethian said:

Iwata already indicated before that any DLC from Nintendo would not have costs. Sounds like he was reiterating that.

wsippel

Banned
bgassassin said:
Iwata already indicated before that any DLC from Nintendo would not have costs. Sounds like he was reiterating that.
That's actually not what he indicated at all, and not what he reiterated:

add-on stages and content, for which the developers have poured a significant amount of their creative resources into, should be offered for the consumers to purchase separately
There will be Nintendo titles with paid DLC next year.

wsippel said:

Guess I was misreading what he said in the last Q&A.

rpmurphy

wsippel said:

Yeah, and plus this from the previous quarter earnings Q&A:
Generally, it may be thought that Nintendo is reluctant toward micro-transactions, meaning that Nintendo is not interested in gaining profit through add-on content or micro-transactions. I have been discussing this topic with Mr. Miyamoto for a fairly long time. For example, let's say there is an occasion where a user says, "I'm done playing this game but I would play it more if there were additional stages," and we were able to focus the right amount of energy to develop additional stages and that way, by distributing the additional stages, we were able to extend the life-span of the game or stimulate social topics, or increase sales. Then, we would discuss whether we could sell the add-on content at a price where both Nintendo and consumers would be satisfied. For example, in the future, I think it will be all right to have a situation where we prepare an additional stage and say to consumers, "Can you pay some more to play this?"
I hope they'll keep their word on bringing that type of DLC and not so much the worse ones.

watershed

Banned
I am perfectly happy Nintendo has been behind the times with DLC. The kinds of DLC they have offered, although rare, has at least always been free. I'm also glad to hear Iwata talk about different ways of providing "meaningful" DLC and not the kind of crap that the market is flooded with now.

Cmagus

muu said:
I still don't see it making any sense to sell Mario in a 99cent market when you can make $40 a copy for 20million copies. The #1 draw of nintendo consoles is that you can play nintendo games (bonus points if it becomes a console where you can play everyone else's games too!), and whatever short-term profit that the investors want to see from a multi-plat iOS/android Nintendo game will doom them in the long run. It's not like MS makes Halo for Windows Phone or Sony with God of War for PS Suite, right.

Well I wasn't getting at handheld Nintendo games in particular I meant like the type of stuff that is out now in addition to the $40.00 games.Obviously Nintendo wouldn't do that and do multiplat mario out. Why not give the people making these apps and smaller games another platform to put their stuff on in the end Nintendo would only profit from it. If someone has made say a bejeweled like game for ipad why not set up a marketplace that could provide that option to port it easily and offer it for download on your Wii-U controller then mom could play that or something make it appealing to everyone games like that have a huge market.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
RedSwirl said:
Think Nintendo needs to see about acquiring another western studio?

Maybe, but their rigid obsession with control and using their existing IPs would bite them in the arse. Retro could and should have been the studio to start really exploring new properties that will appeal to a Western market, but Nintendo seem content with drowning them in existing IPs. Retro's quality is sublime, but they're not doing Nintendo any favours in expanding their portfolio, because Nintendo wont let them.

So yeah, they need the partnerships, but they also need to relax a little and let new studios spread their wings. They need to give Western parterships the same flexibility and scale of development that Monolith got with Xenoblade, and Mistwalker with The Last Story. Let them make new games.

Just one thing I'd like to point out. Iwata said that there will be Nintendo published titles that will support DLC, it doesn't necessarily mean that there will be Nintendo developed games that use DLC. RE: Revelations will no doubt be published by Nintendo and that will probably have some kind of DLC (yes, probably even of the crappy unlock key kind)

That being said, I can see them using DLC for expansions like Wii Fit Plus and the F-Zero X Expansion Kit, but they won't use it for games like Mario Kart or Animal Crossing (yes, even though it is the progenitor of the likes of Farmville, they won't succumb to temptation, Iwata himself has said that they won't use this kind of DLC and I would trust his words)

The only real question mark is Smash Bros. It could be used for new characters and stages, but I doubt that Sakurai would want to splinter the community.

guek

Banned
nintendo should buy...silicon knights

wait, no, they should buy square

crap, that's no good either...maybe back in 95' if they could have even afforded it but now...

Personally, I feel like the studio that would benefit most from a buyout by nintendo would be...Capcom. They haven't really been wowing me with their quality this gen, but they're still a solid developer. They may have lost inafune and mikami, but they still have a solid slew of IPs to work off of. With a little reorganization and a bit more focus on the actual games rather than ways to whore them out or cheat gamers out of content, capcom could be a serious asset to nintendo.

Or buy platinum games cuz they're already crazy awesome.

wsippel

Banned
EatChildren said:
So yeah, they need the partnerships, but they also need to relax a little and let new studios spread their wings. They need to give Western parterships the same flexibility and scale of development that Monolith got with Xenoblade, and Mistwalker with The Last Story. Let them make new games.
After reading the Iwata Asks on Xenoblade, their Japanese studios don't have much freedom, either. More than Retro in that they don't always have to work with established IPs, but that's pretty much it.

Seik

Banned
Just do a Wii HD (or HD BC with WiiU) that gives me anything similar to Dolphin and my faith will be regained.

@MUWANdo

Banned
EatChildren said:
Maybe, but their rigid obsession with control and using their existing IPs would bite them in the arse. Retro could and should have been the studio to start really exploring new properties that will appeal to a Western market, but Nintendo seem content with drowning them in existing IPs. Retro's quality is sublime, but they're not doing Nintendo any favours in expanding their portfolio, because Nintendo wont let them.

Retro was working on multiple original games before they were given Metroid, and they were all cancelled because they floundered. Retro was a basket case before Nintendo took over, and I'm sure the higher-ups haven't forgotten.

guek

Banned
@MUWANdo said:
Retro was working on multiple original games before they were given Metroid, and they were all cancelled because they floundered. Retro was a basket case before Nintendo took over, and I'm sure the higher-ups haven't forgotten.

Remember the original metroid prime build they had going before nintendo stepped in?

Yeah...

Retro is an incredibly talented developer, but it took nintendo to really get them there. I feel like they've earned their chops though and should be given the opportunity to make a new IP. It's understandable though why nintendo has them on such a short leash.

wsippel said:
After reading the Iwata Asks on Xenoblade, their Japanese studios don't have much freedom, either. More than Retro in that they don't always have to work with established IPs, but that's pretty much it.

I'd hardly say that having an editor signifies a lack of creative freedom (they were actually grateful for the feedback!). They were given free reign with 3 years of dev time and a practically unlimited budget. Takahashi actually wanted to cop out and give up on certain aspects and later changed his mind when the NCL staff told him to take all the time he needed and encouraged him to do everything that he wanted to do.

Freezie KO said:
I tell my bosses the same thing in public. :p

Well it's not like Nintendo staff haven't complained about stuff their bosses have done or said (flipping over the tea table in light of ridiculous demands for change has become a meme with the series now after all!)

And let's be honest, this has happened with Takahashi's previous games in the past, where massive cuts were made (Xenogears) or parts of the game simply just made no sense (Xenosaga, Baten Kaitos). I can see where they're coming from in regards to Takahashi needing an editor.

guek

Banned
Yeah, complete creative freedom doesn't always pan out in the products favor. It can, but not always.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Go US gamers. We rule. :)

Iwata's no-BS, cut-to-the-chase nature always surprises me for some reason. His insights are always thoughtful and intelligent as well (they have to be I guess.)

That bit about online has me hopeful but worried at the same time. Mixed feelings. :-/ Please Nintendo, blow me away next E3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
@MUWANdo said:

I know, but Retro today =/= Retro of yesteryear. It's literally been over a decade since the company formed, and after four major, highly polished games I'm pretty comfortable assuming they're working on better ground than when they first started.

But if Nintendo won't let Retro give the goods, they need to find someone else who can. Nintendo needs to avoid falling in the ruck of relying off their established IPs to forever float the company. These IPs are excellent, and even this generation Nintendo has bought their A game and produced some of the best titles they ever have, but they need to open new doors to new audiences.

No matter what they do or change about Mario, Zelda, Metroid or anything else, they're never going to appeal to the markets they don't have. If they want that market, they need to give that market something new.

EatChildren said:
I know, but Retro today =/= Retro of yesteryear. It's literally been over a decade since the company formed, and after four major, highly polished games I'm pretty comfortable assuming they're working on better ground than when they first started.

But if Nintendo won't let Retro give the goods, they need to find someone else who can. Nintendo needs to avoid falling in the ruck of relying off their established IPs to forever float the company. These IPs are excellent, and even this generation Nintendo has bought their A game and produced some of the best titles they ever have, but they need to open new doors to new audiences.

No matter what they do or change about Mario, Zelda, Metroid or anything else, they're never going to appeal to the markets they don't have. If they want that market, they need to give that market something new.

Well, next year they are releasing a bunch of new ips in new genres for the 3DS. Let's hope that Retro is making one of them! (after all, I'm sure that not all of Retro's staff are working on Mario Kart 7!)

EatChildren

Nuclear Muffin said:
Well, next year they are releasing a bunch of new ips in new genres for the 3DS. Let's hope that Retro is making one of them!

Really? Source?

EatChildren said:
Really? Source?

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/111028/04.html

Aiming for the next fiscal year, we are also working on new genres of software that may attract people who are not particularly interested in video games. In order to further expand the definition of video games and to create new software fields under our gaming population expansion strategy, we are planning to launch several new software titles in the next fiscal year.
Some of you may be thinking that, with the expansion of smartphones today, proposing new genres, such as the company did with “Brain Training” and “Wii Fit,” might be difficult. However, the company will aim to develop and launch products that can provide meaningful surprises to the public by taking advantage of the company’s position of being able to make new proposals that integrate both hardware and software, and of its ability to develop products that can be accepted by a wide variety of consumers, irrespective of age, gender or past gaming experience.

He doesn't mention new IP specifically, but he does suggest that these games in new genres are designed for the expanded audience (which would mean new IP)

m.i.s.

Banned
The survey result does not support the generally-conceived notions that, now that the digital age has come, people are buying less packaged software for dedicated video game systems and that they will be willing to buy less of them from now on. Overall, there is no doubt that the importance of digital business is increasing in the industry. However, the situation is not as simple as that the packaged software sales will decrease and digital distribution will increase or that the lifespans of dedicated game systems are coming to an end and general-purpose devices are the future. Our consumers are not showing such a trend. What the industry will look like 20 years from today may be a different story. But as far as the ongoing trend is concerned, I do not think that our understanding of the overall game industry and consumer attitudes is greatly different from the reality. I thought that the survey results I have just shown you could prove our point, so I used this opportunity to share them with you.

I really can't see the optimism with which others are greeting Iwata's stewardship of Nintendo of late. Yes, he oversaw the biggest commercial expansion of probably Nintendo's history to date (then blew it by not funding 3rd party projects on Wii) but the bolded really concerns me. I mean, come on, 20 years from now? Are you kidding me? 20 years from now, probably smartphones, as we know them, probably won't exist and something else will have taken their place. The industry will be unrecognisable from wgat it is today. Yes, Nintendo has cash reserves of billions in the bank but doesn't this strike anyone as just a bit complacent?

EatChildren

Nuclear Muffin said:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/111028/04.html

He doesn't mention new IP specifically, but he does suggest that these games in new genres are designed for the expanded audience (which would mean new IP)

Well, that's all well and good, but not really what I was focusing on, which is games that appeal to gamer markets that are not attracted to Nintendo's IPs, rather than expanded audience titles.

EatChildren said:
Well, that's all well and good, but not really what I was focusing on, which is games that appeal to gamer markets that are not attracted to Nintendo's IPs, rather than expanded audience titles.

Who says that these new IPs won't include "bridge" games that appeals to both markets?

disco

DLC is evidently a means to appease shareholders. I trust Nintendo will do this all in good taste and not look to rattle the consumer.

@MUWANdo

Banned
EatChildren said:

Sure, but since the takeover they've twice suffered an exodus of key personnel - once after MP3 and once recently after DKCR - both of which have necessitated a firm guiding hand from Nintendo. If they keep losing major staff members after every game Nintendo will never feel confident in letting them determine/pitch their own projects.

I'm not saying I don't want an original game from Retro, and I especially don't understand why people seem to want them to take a stab at every existing IP known to man, just that I understand why it hasn't happened and why it may take a long time for it to happen.

Sadist said:
Apparently Sillicon Knights is in trouble :'D

All the more reason not to touch them - they're leery of Western studios as it is, so why would they invest in what looks to be a collapsing, basket-case of a studio?

disco

Nintendo know that industry talent is extremely flexible and tying yourself down to investing directly is extremely dubious. Rare and Silicon Knights are examples of once great companies that saw an exodus of a number of key staff that literally saw the studio collapse and become pretty much worthless.

Top Bottom