• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has been causing me so much frustration lately...

Kaze Kyou

I would usually be really excited for their products and services, but how they handle things are just worrying me. I have difficulty in acquiring their products and it is just not simple for me as a consumer. Right now the biggest problems I have with Nintendo are:

3. Their online services still suck.

4. Their account system is still terrible.

5. Third Party companies are skipping out on the Wii U.

6. Still no region free despite the competition.

7. Controller options are not simple. It is confusing.

8. Wii u has no gamecube backwards compatibility despite that it is possible.

Perhaps I expect a lot from them, but it's not rocket science and Nintendo fans are pissed.

These are the points that are annoying me the most too. I am and always will be a Nintendo fan, but their stubbornness (especially from the Wii/DS days) forced me to explore other consoles, which eventually lead me to my first Sony product (Playstation 3). I'll always buy their consoles for the latest Marios and Zeldas, but my future "Day 1" consoles will most likely be Sony.

The online service, account system and region-lock hit me particularly hard since I'm working overseas - my online Nintendo games are laggy as fuck and I have no choice but to eShop games at full price.

Nintendo don't need to enter the mobile space. They just need to enter this century.

KooopaKid

Banned
3. Remember their online is free compared to the others. Plus, it's working great for their key games, like Mario Kart 8, and Splatoon from what I've played.

My opinions are after your bolded points aka I am the unbolded in the quote.

I would usually be really excited for their products and services, but how they handle things are just worrying me. I have difficulty in acquiring their products and it is just not simple for me as a consumer. Right now the biggest problems I have with Nintendo are:

1. Product marketing.

I agree. Their while I like the names for the most part, their names are horrible for anyone to tell what is what. Dunno why they keep fucking names up so bad lol.

2. Not meeting consumer demand.

Agreed. It sucks when I wanna buy Amiibo like Lucina and can't without paying $40 (and going up) for them. Amiibo supply is one of the worst things Nintendo has ever done imo.

3. Their online services still suck.

Nintendo's online is top notch imo. The Smash example would basically kill anyone who has a bad connection from playing becuase people would always quit on them. I don't think theres any other way to do a online fighting game, i find it annoying too, and quit after the first match against a laggy opponet, but it'd also be unfair if noone played with people with bad connections. Dunno what happened with your Mario Kart tho. Sounds like a really rare and horrible litch. :(

4. Their account system is still terrible.
Agreed. Nothing else to say here. Terrible.

5. Third Party companies are skipping out on the Wii U.
Nintendo has plenty of third parties. Their called Atlus, a every now and then Capcom/SE/Namco game, team ups like Hyrule Warriors and Mario P&D, and Indies. Those "AAA" games on other consoles? Well its just a guess, but I don't think Nintendo cares about them at all really which is why they don't bother trying to get them. Dunno why people keep bringing it up when I don't think it'll ever happen but whatever.

6. Still no region free despite the competition.

While I don't think I'd ever need it (live in US and can't read Japanese) theres no reason to disagree here. Really horrible to lock players out of (physcial since I don't think they'd do digital) games being imported.

7. Controller options are not simple. It is confusing.
I've never had trouble with controllers with WiiU. Then again I always play on gamepad off tv. *Shrugs*

8. Wii u has no gamecube backwards compatibility despite that it is possible.
As been stated not really possible or feasable. I'm just glad Nintendo does BC back one gen.

9. It's dependent on amiibo as a platform.

No its not.

Anyone who buys an Amiibo for ingame content is a fool. Its a collectable figure first and formost with bonus contents.

However I will agree that it is starting to...become really bad. They should've really never tied content to them and let them just be figures or let them be season passes (which they are...for some figures) while you can buy all as DLC like MK8 Mii costumes for $0.50-$1.00 or so.

10. No Nintendo stores in key locations.

lol.
On a whole, nothing really bothers me all that much and I still will always get Nintendo games but they do have made some bad stuff.

Edit: Sorry for typos. Its late and I'm tired.

The biggrdt issue for me was no ethernet port for the wii u.

I was honestly speechless when i opened the box. Then i just started laughing.

digdug2k

As far as I'm aware the Wii U disc drive is not capable of reading with GameCube's proprietary discs. How do you propose Nintendo let you play your back library with this hardware limitation?
On the flip side. I just finished Metroid Prime 2 on it for the first time thanks to the Wii digital download. Amazing game! Thanks Nintendo!

levyjl1988

Banned
Preorders from Nintendo has gotten so bad that 90% of Preorders are cancelled. Every fucking time. It all started with Majora's Mask CE, couldn't reserve it day 1, thus I necer picked up the game, Monster Hunter 4 CE preorder cancelled, never picked up the game. Majora's Mask CE for 3DS XL, nope I got denied, Wii U gamecube adapter, nope, amiibos, fuck no.

Every single time I got denied from Nintendo from purchasing physical goods, they underestimated demand and I never got to enjoying it.

So fuck Nintendo, I am sick of their anti consumer BS of handling stock. I purchase their games and items to open up from packaging to legitly enjoy and not to resell like most people. Money is money but experience and memorable momenents are most important. This paints a dark chapter in my hate towards Nintendo. So much hate and salt to the point that they are worse than EA and Ubisiift put together. Their games are fantastic but whoever performed the distribution and manufacturer limitation needs to be fucking fired for causing Nintendo negativity to many fans.

People prefer buying digital over physical carts and many demonstrate that they would prefer a CE goody over just a cart. Jeez intendo why so many fuck ups.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really dislike the way Nintendo has handled their business lately. It just seems desgined to milk their fanbase dry and create artificial demand through likited products instead of making their stuff more desireable and easy to get into.

Yep

But as long as they keep making amazing games I can't ignore, then what am I going to do? I'm not going to boycott the things I love in hopes they will "get it".

For example, I hate the stupid Wii U Gamepad. It's uncomfortable, the 2nd screen concept makes games worse and is unnecessary, it's battery life is pathetic. Yet despite all that, Splatoon this weekend was soooooo fun. I'm willing to put up with it to enjoy awesome content.

Air

Banned
Not sure why you'd be so attached to a company? If it causes you this much anguish (especially with how they market themselves lol) than you're better off just leaving them be. I love their games, but the level of attachment some people have over developers is a bit silly.

I always think about going back to Nintendo and buy myself a Wii U, again. I sill have access to my brother's Wii U when a big release comes out but other than that, i'm still not sure i want to reward Nintendo with my money. I want them to change and make thing easier and better for everyone.

My biggest beef is that there's no account system and online play is a complete joke, especially in this day and age where the competition does it so well. The gamepad could have been so awesome for chat and video chat live when playing games. The potential is there with the gamepad but Nintendo didn't execute it well enough for me.

Iwata even said that an account system would come on Wii U but it's still not there and things are still complicated digital wise on Nintendo systems.

But, the good thing is that Nintendo games are awesome, offline...

Maybe i'll buy your next system Nintendo ?

Top Bottom