• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

18-Volt

If there's gonna be a Cars 3 video game, it'll definitely be for mobile. The days of 50 dollar kids movie tie-ins are long gone and never coming back.

Plus, he skipped the only third party game rumored; Dark Souls 3. Inexcusable.

I like fake rumors when they're somewhat realistic, and the beginning of that doc was a pretty great read (though I have my doubts Nintendo would be competent enough to scale their advertising to that degree). Too bad it kind of descended into overly idealistic third party support/deals that would never be discussed this early.

That would be missing the point of the Switch itself.

I wouldnt mind a high clock mode when its hooked into AC

Just make it variable like a laptop

Either way though I expect that they will have ample performance and both modes or at least ensure that their software meets a certain standard as well as helping other devs do the same

Lets just wait and see bow big of an issue it even ends up being

What is a TsumTsum? I fear to google it

Disney's stuffed toys. A popular mobile game was developed based on them.

fwb_3t_disney_20160119.jpg

Genio88

Latest rumor says A73 CPU and Pascal based GPU, which would put Switch in the 500GFlops spot when undocked...Just about two week to reveal, it's gonna be fun

Javier

Not buying that list at all, but on more real talk, I can see Mario Switch having a gimmick around switches. Lots of coin-to-block levels, hidden doors, blue coins, and Switch Palaces (that are probably required to beat to progress on the game).

Everithing is almost beliaveble, but Danganronpa V3? I can't see
I doubt we'll get it at launch, but Danganronpa is a series I highly expect to eventually get moved to Switch. It seems like a perfect fit.

YBdisk

Lol, I stopped reading at NERD themselves "looking" into getting Capcom vs SNK 2 on Switch GC VC. Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Latest rumor says A73 CPU and Pascal based GPU, which would put Switch in the 500GFlops spot when undocked...Just about two week to reveal, it's gonna be fun

I saw A73 and Pascal but that in no way suggests anything close to 500GFLOPS...

Pascal does not automatically mean more flops, especially if the clock speeds reported by DF are true.

MomoQca

Xenoblade Chronicles X Aftermath? With new game missions? Hahahahahahahaha

We already know Monolith Soft is working on a new game and not on XCX port.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's missing the quintessential edgelord dark adult game that every solid full stupid nintendo 'leak' list has.

sources tell me retro's next project is not metroid and it is not donkey kong but finally they are given the chance to make something original and boy is it special it is a very adult (nudity violence extreme themes very mature) very controversial nintendo werent even sure if they were going to make it its the darkest mature game ever more than rockstar and will be r18 and prove nintendo is not kiddy but mature

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's missing the quintessential edgelord dark adult game that every solid full stupid nintendo 'leak' list has.

sources tell me retro's next project is not metroid and it is not donkey kong but finally they are given the chance to make something original and boy is it special it is a very adult (nudity violence extreme themes very mature) very controversial nintendo werent even sure if they were going to make it its the darkest mature game ever more than rockstar and will be r18 and prove nintendo is not kiddy but mature

Remember Acid Ghost? :lol

Waji

Xenoblade Chronicles X Aftermath? With new game missions? Hahahahahahahaha

We already know Monolith Soft is working on a new game and not on XCX port.
That's also what I was thinking.
I could see the amiibo/street pass stuff and the graphics upgrade to some degree, but not added contents like missions.
The title is also worth doubting.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
tsumie7pt0.png

I am confident the Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 will be very exciting, but perhaps not as great as some of these "rumors" suggest.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Of course he's wrong (again) and trying to spin negatively these rumors, there's a vast majority of positive things there, and a few reassuring ones.
He's outright lying with bullshit like "backpedaling on BGE2" and "indie dev left behind".

You know what? I could be angry, but I'm not.
Because I've finally understood the issue. and it is related to your following message.
Let's just say that I didn't lie, because she told that BG&E2 maybe will not be there, whiel she previously stated to look forward for the Jan reveal, and that Indie dev didn't receive the updated dev kit in october and are still working with the older June ones.
But let's try this again:

Even by showing only 2017 games I think they can have a pretty good show.
Zelda BoTW/3D Mario/Pikmin 4/Pokémon Stars/Retro Studio's new game/all the ports/some unknown games yet.

+ third-party stuff like Dragon Quest X&XI/Skyrim/Rabbids x Mario/Project Sonic/maybe BGE2.

There's enough content to fullfill a whole two hours event and only by talking about 2017.

I agree that even discussin about '17 releases (9 months of releases) they could cover a 2 hours event, covering also the HW itself (specs, key points, bundles, prices, dates...).
Fact is: for the Switch unveil, is a 2 hours event filled with those contents enough?

To me no, it's not. Not because it's 2 hours long, but because of the contents.

let's try this once again.

Nintendo Swithc has being positioned so far as their new HOME CONSOLE. this means that it is, so far, the successor of the Wii U.

Disclaimer: I have a Wii U. I own a lot of its games. I loved a lot of its games.

Wii U is the worst Nintendo console ever. It sold barely 13 millions pieces; its support dried up pretty fast, from third parties and in the latest 18 months also from Nintendo's team.

Nintendo has to prove many points in order to regain trust from the consumers and gain attention from the mass market.

There are hw aspects to be covered, and sw aspects.

PRICE:
The HW aspects clearly are not aimed to be the best performing console out there. Are aimed to offer a different user experience, so far defined as a "home console on the go".
Not being the best perfoming console out there, even with an additional value as "being able to be on the go", I strongly think they should position it in a wise manner to compete against competitors, so if the newest rumors are true, I'd say that a DS-like price point would be preferable over a Wii-like price point. Their focus on position it as a home console, so far, has me concerned because I thnk this will justify them in positioning it a 249$ SRP, probably too high to generate significant volume in the actual mass market situation.

The SW aspects are even more imporant, probably.
Wii U PORTS:
I think that propose Wii U games isn't particularly significant, considering how they didn't gain attention from the mass market in the Wii U era. Of course being (potentially) the Switch more interesting, they can complete a line up. But, Switch HAS to be more interesting. SO the aformentioned HW issues should be properly positioned, and the SW issues too. And Wii U ports aren't capable of re-positioning the Switch in the comsumer minds, of course, compared to the Wii U.

WESTERN THIRD PARTY SUPPORT:
It seems so far that the leaks are focused on this aspect, that worries me. We heard about few games (compared to the competition), we have heard about not-so-great titles on paper (LKD told us so yesterday, the reaction even here on GAF about the Rabbids crossover were mixed at best), we have heard about old ports. So far, nothing significant in terms of "change the trend" about Nintendo home console western third party direction and in this very moment both the "opinion leaders" in the message boards, nor the mass market has a Nintendo home console in mind as something capable of guarantee a constant third party support. This is a tough obstacle to be solved to push people into the purchase of a new home console imho.

INTERNAL MERGING SUPPORT:
nothing so far, apart our deduction and logic conclusion (and hopes) point to an actual merging of Nintendo first party internal teams efforts. I think that exposing from the beginning the actual advantages of a true hybrid console in terms of nintendo first party stream of software would be CRUCIAL to the success of the console itself. Being able to play proper version of FE, AC, Pokemon (the only rumor so far poiting toward this direction), would be as great as knowing from the beginning that being an hybrid would mean being able to play MK9 + DLC plus another new game from the same team in the same timeframe during which we played MK7 and MK8 on 3DS and Wii U last generation. Proposing MK8+ isn't as clear as announcing MK9 and specifying that the same team is also working on Diddy Kong Racing 2, for example.

JAPANESE THIRD PARTY SUPPORT:
bonded to the previous posts, it would be GREAT for the initial success of the console, knowing that Switch will be home for the vast majority of the usual Japanese Nintendo portable third party support, with MHXX, Inazuma Eleven, SMT, and other tipycal brands coming to Switch (even with a proper graphical overhaul - for cross-generation games, done like MH3Ultimate on Wii U, for example). That would automatically leads us to think "I'll buy ONE console to get the usual lineups of TWO, WOW!"
Instead nothing so far has been rumored in this direction.

So, I'm concerned about the screwing up a potential good concept (hybrid), ideal for their actual struggling in the market, trying too hard to position the harware as a home console, nerfing down the home console specs to present a portable that could present development/positioning issue for actual Japanese portable-oriented brands, not pushing out tons of software, even trying to fill the line up with Wii U ports.

Hopefully people will stop pretending I'm trolling and start reading my posts and reasoning.

Hoping, me as first, that my thoughts are wrong and that Nintendo will present somethjing reach, complete and coherent on January 12.

But the aformentioned points aim to a basic concept: the can't present a "normal" event, or a "usual" lineup of contents for a Nintendo home console and thinking of being successfull. There are many points that need an overhaul to..."switch" people minds about a Nintendo home console product.

I don't understand the weird obsession with E3 here. This year Nintendo had just Zelda, Pokemon and some minor things. And E3 was no longer that important for Nintendo. And it was pretty OK considering the conditions. Now suddenly the next year's E3 is again very important for whatever reason. I guess for some people "winning E3" is more important than a successful console launch. Really strange mindset.

Switch is launching in March, thus E3 becomes a stopgap in the whole process. Unless you want a repeat of 3ds launch.

Agreed again. I am flustered why people keep bringing up E3 or Nintendo having a good E3. You people been talking about E3 for the past 4 years...

AniHawk

Everithing is almost beliaveble, but Danganronpa V3? I can't see

the combination of zero escape and ace attorney with the audience that gave life to them both? it'll probably do well, but i think it'd need something like reload first.

as for the other rumors/leaks, i'm expecting zelda later, maybe no mario platformer at launch (because mario rabbids is already happening), splatoon at launch, mario kart at launch, new ip game at launch, and then a smattering of third-party games at launch and through the year. zelda, mario, and smash hit through the year, and lesser franchises like pikmin fill in the gaps. pokemon is the big holiday title and retro throws in something around there too.

also, people really need to let metroid go. as a franchise, there's stuff they can do with it, but people associate the games with samus aran and her story is basically over. plus the series has never sold more than 3 million units worldwide. i think nintendo would need to make a 2d game at a budget price for it to succeed in this day and age, and sell it digitally - and they could make more from sakamoto's team working on the next rhythm tengoku instead.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rösti;227249442 said:
I am confident the Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 will be very exciting, but perhaps not as great as some of these "rumors" suggest.

Anticipating and hoping for relative quality is the most important thing. Relative to personal wants and desires, imbued with realistic context for the device, industry, and production cycle of software.

Like EDarkness and myself were discussion, people will want the Switch for different reasons no different to any other platform. It's borderline impossible to please everyone. Even people who want Nintendo to rejoin the hardware race are valid in their own subjective disappointment, no matter how unrealistic the expectation might be. Everybody has their own standard of what they expect from a piece of hardware, its attached price, and the various facets attached to the hardware that make it attractive to purchase in the first place. And with a gaming platform that really is the software, which is what all hardware lives and dies on. Nobody wants a brick.

That being said I do think people need to taper expectations and appreciate the Switch for what it is and what it most likely is.
It's a launch hardware.
It's probably not going to be cutting edge processing power.
Rarely do any hardware platforms ever from anyone launch with a plethora of AAA quality titles from first and third parties in a short window, as such is the nature of production cycles, shifting development platforms (and thus toolkits), etc.
Nintendo is only as realistically capable as anyone else in producing software.
Third parties are under no obligation to support the platform in any capacity.

I'm not confident Nintendo will want a repeat of the Wii U situation where an alarming quantity of software was announced very early yet took at times years to see fruition. I figure, if anything, they'll want to keep their launch line-up punchy to attract people to buy in that window. And given the difficulties of launching a new platform, seeing stuff like Splatoon and Mario Kart, which are assuredly enhanced ports (whatever enhanced entails), will probably mean they get a focus. The Switch seems to be not just a new Nintendo hardware, but also a device aimed at providing a new contextual experience for existing Nintendo software. Given how disastrous the Wii U reviving older games does, in many ways, make a lot of sense. Mario Kart 8 becomes Mario Kart 8+, and is something you can now play on the go in local multiplayer too.

I'm sure there will be some teasers, but yeah. I wouldn't honestly be surprised if the main event is actually a bit lukewarm for the more enthusiast Nintendo fans who want a richer picture of Nintendo's software future and long term projections.

Akiller

Rösti;227249442 said:

So basically like most gaming events ?

Just finished reading through that big wall of text! I always take things like that with a huge grain of salt, but I will say this: If that person truly made that whole thing up, they really took their time to come up with some realistic ideas. The following really stood out to me:

- EA creating an "EA Sports Anywhere" brand just for the Nintendo Switch
- Amiibo collaborations with a few different publishers
- Joy con controllers that beat third-parties to the punch (unlike what we saw on Wii)
- Disney partnering with Nintendo for games like Tsum Tsum.

I know that just about anyone can take a wild stab at information like that, but I was impressed to see so many different ideas in one post. I "wish" everything from that "rumor" list would be true, but I would personally shit a brick if we saw Overwatch with special Nintendo skins. Either way, props to this guy/gal for putting so much work into that. If only they put as much work into formatting the document as they did "potentially" coming up with some of the information.

AniHawk

That being said I do think people need to taper expectations and appreciate the Switch for what it is and what it most likely is.
It's a launch hardware.
It's probably not going to be cutting edge processing power.
Rarely do any hardware platforms ever from anyone launch with a plethora of AAA quality titles from first and third parties in a short window, as such is the nature of production cycles, shifting development platforms (and thus toolkits), etc.
Nintendo is only as realistically capable as anyone else in producing software.
Third parties are under no obligation to support the platform in any capacity.

i got myself worked up into a small frenzy about the wii u's e3 2012 before it turned out to be a rehash of 2011. it was easy to think that the wii hadn't been supported in a meaningful way in years, and that big titles had to be on their way since 3ds's games were mostly remakes and outsourced titles (kid icarus, oot 3d, star fox 64 3d, steel diver, etc). the reality was that they didn't have their shit together.

with switch, they actually do seem to have their shit together. of course, knowing that there's a mario kart, splatoon, 3d mario, and 3d zelda coming because we've already seen them at this point helps, but the actions they've taken in the last year have been received positively for basically all of their big moves. so if they know what they're doing, and it seems like they do, then i expect a really focused reveal for stuff that is generally coming through june, with hints of other, bigger games to get people excited for the holidays. we won't hear about those games until e3 though, when we will probably first see titles that are further off (march 2018 or early fy 2018-2019). in the meantime, they'll be playing this safe. we know that already from the 2 million units they're supplying for launch. if things go sideways, they'll prop up the 3ds for a little while longer and try to get a 'true handheld' out the door to succeed the 3ds instead of letting the switch take over completely as it fails.

Someone on Reddit posted a huge wall of text leaking the line up on Nintendo Switch,
I have insomnia so I read the whole thing mirror of it https://docs.google.com/document/d/...qdJghIEk4mg/edit?pageId=106616208938932224254

Not saying it is real just found it really impressive if true

I got to try and sleep been fighting sleep too long 5AM here

What's the point of rumors like these? As in the ones that are blatantly fake. Yooka Laylee is a launch title in March? We already know that it's launching worldwide on April 11th. Why would 2K reference a college basketball tournament in NBA217's name? Battlefront Switch bundles? That would mean Nintendo has co-marketing, which would be odd considering how well the first Battlefront went with Sony. Kamitani has also said that he has no intention of working on IP's from other companies since he values working on new IP's. Vanillaware is also really small (26 people according to their website), and they're working on 13 Sentinels for Atlus right now. There's really no scenario where they'd be able to complete that and then get Metroid out by 2018.

Having played played Odin Sphere and Muramasa to completion, no it really isn't.

Hmmm Im torn on this

I think it would be cool but the issue being they need to redeliver a competent Metroid game before they star experimenting again

The trust is broken..... look what happened to Star Fox

Stop making shit games around gimmicks. Tickle the nostalgia bone and get these young upcoming devs comfortable with the basics

Then experiment

What's the point of rumors like these? As in the ones that are blatantly fake. Yooka Laylee is a launch title in March? We already know that it's launching worldwide on April 11th. Why would 2K reference a college basketball tournament in NBA217's name? Battlefront Switch bundles? That would mean Nintendo has co-marketing, which would be odd considering how well the first Battlefront went with Sony. Kamitani has also said that he has no intention of working on IP's from other companies since he values working on new IP's. Vanillaware is also really small (26 people according to their website), and they're working on 13 Sentinels for Atlus right now. There's really no scenario where they'd be able to complete that and then get Metroid out by 2018.

obviously bullshit, why even put energy into it lol

vall03

I just fucking want that Etrian Odyssey III Untold even though we still don't have localization news for Etrian Odyssey V and I want that more than P5 tbh. Just that game please!

Everything else sounds too good to be true though.

I don't have time to read that massive fake leak. Anything about StarTropics 3: Mike's Revenge?

Anyway I talked about this in the other thread, but Laura's AMA seems to strongly suggest that some developers can choose to make their game playable only with the docked mode clock rates, though still playable when portable. She says this mode appears to be the one where the battery life gets to about 3 hours.

Does this seem like a good idea? I feel like most developers will do this, so 720p rendering for the handheld and the TV with some higher visual settings, and most developers won't bother with the 720p handheld > 1080p TV when docked feature we've been assuming. Maybe Nintendo's first parties will give you the extra resolution boost when docked, and battery boost when undocked, but I doubt many third parties would if this simplifies their development process.

NSESN

I don't have time to read that massive fake leak. Anything about StarTropics 3: Mike's Revenge?

Anyway I talked about this in the other thread, but Laura's AMA seems to strongly suggest that some developers can choose to make their game playable only with the docked mode clock rates, though still playable when portable. She says this mode appears to be the one where the battery life gets to about 3 hours.

Does this seem like a good idea? I feel like most developers will do this, so 720p rendering for the handheld and the TV with some higher visual settings, and most developers won't bother with the 720p handheld > 1080p TV when docked feature we've been assuming. Maybe Nintendo's first parties will give you the extra resolution boost when docked, and battery boost when undocked, but I doubt many third parties would if this simplifies their development process.

If it is true i think most 3rd parties will do this
Nintendo probably will be the only ones to use the 2 modes in most of their games
The opposite can also be true I think

Oregano

If it is true i think most 3rd parties will do this
Nintendo probably will be the only ones to use the 2 modes in most of their games

Yeah to quote myself:
Leaving it at developer's discretion would be a terrible move because then everyone will just target the higher power mode. It would make it harder for developers if they did want to target low power mode because then they'd get criticized for their game not looking/performing as good as competitors.

It would make the lower power mode redundant and we'd just be left with a big, noisy handheld with terrible battery life.

NSESN

Yeah to quote myself:

It would make the lower power mode redundant and we'd just be left with a big, noisy handheld with terrible battery life.

Like i said in my not so quick edit, the opposite can also be true, I can see some developers making the game with only the portable mode in mind and doing nothing about the docked mode
GameFreak

So... I've seen more than a few people who want an ethernet port on the dock. My question is how we all think that would work when it comes to playing online games?

More specifically, if I'm playing Splatoon while my Switch is docked and decide to remove it from the dock mid-match, what would happen? Obviously the Switch would need to change over to Wifi, but would that be fast enough to keep your online session active? Looking for thoughts/information from those more familiar with that technology. Can/would the Switch use a combination of Wifi/ethernet to enable quick switching between connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom