• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

Like i said in my not so quick edit, the opposite can also be true, I can see some developers making the game with only the portable mode in mind and doing nothing about the docked mode
GameFreak

Well Gamefreak doesn't use 3D in the 3DS games so they'd probably actually use the higher clocks
and still put out a game that performs terribly!

So... I've seen more than a few people who want an ethernet port on the dock. My question is how we all think that would work when it comes to playing online games?

More specifically, if I'm playing Splatoon while my Switch is docked and decide to remove it from the dock mid-match, what would happen? Obviously the Switch would need to change over to Wifi, but would that be fast enough to keep your online session active? Looking for thoughts/information from those more familiar with that technology.

I don't know how fast that switch could occur, but here's the relevant portion from the patent:

For example, in other embodiments, the information processing system may use different communication methods for the communication with external devices via a network (e.g., the Internet) (in other words, may switch between different communication methods) in the portable mode and in the console mode. For example, consider a case in which a predetermined network connection device is connected to the cradle 5, the predetermined network connection device having a function of connecting to and communicating with the network. In such a case, in the portable mode, the information processing device 1 may communicate with the network using the network communication section 82. On the other hand, in the console mode, the information processing device 1 may communicate with the network via the cradle 5 and the network connection device.

It seems to be possible that they'll have an ethernet mode like that, but like you said that could be an issue when removing the console from the dock. Remember on the Jimmy Fallon footage when Reggie undocked the Switch- there was seemingly a pause screen or menu pop-up during the transition. I could see something similar if switching to wifi doesn't take too long.

Apathy

I was watching the giant bomb goty discussion and they bright up an interesting point of discussion regarding the nes classic and artificial scarcity. I wanted to ask GAF if you think Nintendo will create some artificial scarcity for the switch or if it will actually be able to produce and release enough at the actual release?

oti

Banned
I was watching the giant bomb goty discussion and they bright up an interesting point of discussion regarding the nes classic and artificial scarcity. I wanted to ask GAF if you think Nintendo will create some artificial scarcity for the switch or if it will actually be able to produce and release enough at the actual release?

if you think Nintendo will create some artificial scarcity for the switch
no

if it will actually be able to produce and release enough at the actual release
depends on the demand

I don't know how fast that switch could occur, but here's the relevant portion from the patent:

It seems to be possible that they'll have an ethernet mode like that, but like you said that could be an issue when removing the console from the dock. Remember on the Jimmy Fallon footage when Reggie undocked the Switch- there was seemingly a pause screen or menu pop-up during the transition. I could see something similar if switching to wifi doesn't take too long.

I didn't have time to read the whole patent so I appreciate the excerpt! I guess we'll have to see how they handle it, but I obviously can't imagine they'd take an approach that compromises either mode. You would need to be able to "Switch" modes on the fly.

As for the Fallon footage, that's an interesting take! I noticed that too and have been wondering what the prompt was for. My initial thought was that the game automatically paused upon being removed from the dock, but I'm not so sure that's the case now. I saw someone suggest that it might have asked whether he wanted to keep using the Pro controller while the console was removed from the dock. That seems like the more likely scenario to me.

They already stated 2million for launch and if demand is high they'll ramp up production.

The Nes classic should not be compared to The Switch.

Kouriozan

It's one of those day I wish the Switch would be released already.
I'm not feeling well and the toilet room is out of range of the Wii U

Yeah, that use :lol

They already stated 2million for launch and if demand is high they'll ramp up production.

Yeah... I'm in line with Deco here, they've been very upfront with how many units they plan to produce for Switch. People need to stop acting like NES Classic is a console and not a novelty item. To assume Nintendo would devote as much manufacturing capability to the NES classic as they would to a full-fledged console is insane.

I didn't have time to read the whole patent so I appreciate the excerpt! I guess we'll have to see how they handle it, but I obviously can't imagine they'd take an approach that compromises either mode. You would need to be able to "Switch" modes on the fly.

As for the Fallon footage, that's an interesting take! I noticed that too and have been wondering what the prompt was for. My initial thought was that the game automatically paused upon being removed from the dock, but I'm not so sure that's the case now. I saw someone suggest that it might have asked whether he wanted to keep using the Pro controller while the console was removed from the dock. That seems like the more likely scenario to me.

That's interesting, I hadn't heard that theory. Seems plausible to me!

2 million isn't a lot. PS4 sold 1 million in North America alone the first 24 hours.

I'm assuming of course that the 2 million are speaking of is global.

2 million isn't a lot. PS4 sold 1 million in North America alone the first 24 hours.

I'm assuming of course that the 2 million are speaking of is global.

2 million global by the end of March is their current projection, and while it does sound rather low remember the PS4/XB1 launched in the holiday season where sales of everything are much stronger.

2 million still sounds low though, I hope they have or will revise that upwards.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think they'll do artificial scarcity, but I think they'll be pretty cautious with not wanting it gathering dust in store shelves if it doesn't sell super fast in the months after launch. So if demand is higher than they expect it could be hard to find for a while like the Wii was or like the PS4 the first few months after launch.

2 million may not be alot

If the demand for Switch is crazy people are gonna be crying artificial shortage the rest of 2017

Oh dear lord, I can already imagine what Gaf will be like if that happens. I think they just went as low as humanly possible with their projection and will "hopefully" ramp that up quite a bit. There's also the fact that they pledged to ship 2 million by the end of March. If Switch launches towards the end of the month, that estimate looks much higher.

DNAbro

vern

With regards to that leak, a lot of it doesn't jive at all with what I've heard. Also with software he's missing 5 games that I know exist, and listed one that I heard existed and was in development for Switch but was cancelled due to very poor sales on the other platforms and bad word of mouth. Also his R* info is wrong based on what I know. I wouldn't put tons of faith in that post, though at least some things are accurate (according to what I've heard) simply by throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. Of course I could be completely wrong as well. Time is moving to slow!

I don't agree with the artificial shortages accusation, i think all of this is because of incompetence of Nintendo

I definitely agree there. It seems more like they completely underestimated just how much people were going to want the NES Classic. Here's an article by Business Insider where they talk about how they'd called multiple Gamestops and most received 2-3 new units since launch and others hadn't received any

http://www.businessinsider.com/nintendo-nes-classic-edition-still-impossible-to-buy-2016-12

That's not artificial shortages, that's just poor handling of the hardware. With the Wii, which was selling out constantly, stores were getting a good number of units but the demand was so high that they were quickly scooped up before too long. Given how important the Switch is to them, I can't see a scenario where they try artificial shortages. If there's enough demand for it then they're going to continue to sell out anyway.

oti

Banned
I definitely agree there. It seems more like they completely underestimated just how much people were going to want the NES Classic. Here's an article by Business Insider where they talk about how they'd called multiple Gamestops and most received 2-3 new units since launch and others hadn't received any

http://www.businessinsider.com/nintendo-nes-classic-edition-still-impossible-to-buy-2016-12

That's not artificial shortages, that's just poor handling of the hardware. With the Wii, which was selling out constantly, stores were getting a good number of units but the demand was so high that they were quickly scooped up before too long. Given how important the Switch is to them, I can't see a scenario where they try artificial shortages. If there's enough demand for it then they're going to continue to sell out anyway.

I told you guys ages ago that Nintendo underestimated demand in a huuuuge way.

vern

I worked at Toys R Us during the Wii era. They came in boxes of three to us, so a shipment of two sounds suspect. But I suppose GameStop can break them down and ship to where they want from their own warehouse one by one.

We had 66 at launch. After that most of our shipments were between 18-30 every week or so. They sold out for months as soon as they got delivered. Shit was wild.

Finally read that fake rumor. First thing that jumped out at me was him calling the Joy-Con Grip a "Joy-Con Shell". I mean, this information is confirmed yet he still got it wrong.

Anyway, what I never understood about these types of "rumors" is, even if each individual thing he says sounds reasonable (which it doesn't) how in the hell are we supposed to believe that a single individual has gotten all of this information? Does he want us to think he's Miyamoto himself?

I remember the Wii getting embarrassingly low shipment orders too. I remember when I got mine I was outside gamestop since 4am and they only had got 2...

Remember though that Nintendo shipped more Wii consoles than any other previous console in history, so I don't think the per-store shipments were any indication of their overall shipment amounts.

Xdrive05

Hi, friends! What exactly do we know about the upcoming Switch event in a few weeks? What has been said about it?

Will it be showing off launch games (and verifying launch games)? Will it be price / bundle info? Will it be battery life info? Complete hardware features reveal? Tech demos? Something else?

I don't recall much about the Wii-U reveals to have an idea what to expect.

bomblord1

Banned
I know someone has already posted a few tidbits but here's a rundown of the LKD AMA from gonintendo

gonintendo said:
The following info comes from a Reddit AMA with games journalist Laura Kate Dale...

- surprises left for the Jan. 12th event
- a lot of third party stuff not touched on yet
- more hardware details
- UI system level info and other info not yet spoiled
- very info-heavy presentation
- at least one new unexpected IP
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild could make launch, but missing launch still seems more likely
- initial reports stated 3 hours max battery, but no details on whether that's full clock speed or portable clock speed
- longer battery estimates have since come out
- has heard about two third party exclusives, the Rabbids RPG, and one other
- suspects there's a third third party exclusive as well
- Initial VC library won't be a large amount of titles
- Wii U ports vary from extensive to minimal enhancements
- CGI teaser for BGE2 is in the works, less than a minute long, but may not air during the event
- Mother 3 rumor keeps floating around, but no more info to share
- Monolith Soft's new project is something new, not the Xenoblade X Switch port
- this new title is in the same vain as Xenoblade and X in terms of combat styl
- no reveals from Platinum

Scrawnton

That Reddit leaker will get some serious cred if it comes true with how specific it is. He "leaks" the names for Battlefront 2 and Destiny 2

Beyond Destiny
Battlefront II: Wrath of the First Order

How is he "getting" such specific information?

That Reddit leaker will get some serious cred if it comes true with how specific it is. He "leaks" the names for Battlefront 2 and Destiny 2

Beyond Destiny

From his ass clearly.

I don't really get how anyone is supposed to believe he can know all of that. Even if he knows some things (which I doubt) putting everything in a giant list like this completely removes any credibility he might have. He's just throwing shit at a wall.

Scrawnton

From his ass clearly.

I don't really get how anyone is supposed to believe he can know all of that. Even if he knows some things (which I doubt) putting everything in a giant list like this completely removes any credibility he might have. He's just throwing shit at a wall.
He even suggests that scorporio is called Xbox One Prime. No way this is all true let alone him knowing everything about every company. Ridiculous.

KingBroly

Banned
2 million global by the end of March is their current projection, and while it does sound rather low remember the PS4/XB1 launched in the holiday season where sales of everything are much stronger.

2 million still sounds low though, I hope they have or will revise that upwards.

2 million for...half a month seems okay, honestly.

What Nintendo is trying to do (and this is kinda obvious) is keep momentum going through the year-end holiday for 2017. Spring release, E3 hype, holiday stuff. I dunno what they'll have between E3 and the holidays, though. But I hope for some good things.

LordKano

Since you took the time to make a long post, it would be disrespectful from me to not answer.

You know what? I could be angry, but I'm not.
Because I've finally understood the issue. and it is related to your following message.
Let's just say that I didn't lie, because she told that BG&E2 maybe will not be there, whiel she previously stated to look forward for the Jan reveal, and that Indie dev didn't receive the updated dev kit in october and are still working with the older June ones.
But let's try this again:

Okay, first, time for a bit of fact-check. First, Laura didn't backpedaled for BGE2 as, more than one month ago, she shared some concerns about BGE2 being present during the January Event :
https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/800293411232288768?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
She was merely talking only about the presence, nothing about the game in itself, as she's still completely confident on it being an exclusive (despite everything).

Then, how in the world would you interpret "some indie don't have newer devkits" as "indie support is shit !!" ? You don't know anything in game development (like most people here, including me). If some dev was working on a relatively light game (stuff in pixel-art, like Binding of Isaac Afterbirth for example, which runs already on Wii U) that works perfectly on the July devkit, why would it be a problem if they asks to not have recent and more powerful devkits ? It's a matter of cases-by-cases. We have no details, and speculating furthermore about that point is stupid.

PRICE:
The HW aspects clearly are not aimed to be the best performing console out there. Are aimed to offer a different user experience, so far defined as a "home console on the go".
Not being the best perfoming console out there, even with an additional value as "being able to be on the go", I strongly think they should position it in a wise manner to compete against competitors, so if the newest rumors are true, I'd say that a DS-like price point would be preferable over a Wii-like price point. Their focus on position it as a home console, so far, has me concerned because I thnk this will justify them in positioning it a 249$ SRP, probably too high to generate significant volume in the actual mass market situation.

I understand why you would worry about that. I'm not, for my part, as it's releasing in March 2017, and not November 2017. It will compete against 300$ PS4 and 250$ Xbox One. It will be a brand new fresh console, with new concept that will try to elude the fact that it's underpowered. It's releasing at the same price as the cheapest home console on the market right now (the Xbox One), and I strongly expect it to be 50$ cheaper by the end of 2017 (so, you'll likely be able to find 199$ Switch during Black Friday 2017).

The SW aspects are even more imporant, probably.
Wii U PORTS:
I think that propose Wii U games isn't particularly significant, considering how they didn't gain attention from the mass market in the Wii U era. Of course being (potentially) the Switch more interesting, they can complete a line up. But, Switch HAS to be more interesting. SO the aformentioned HW issues should be properly positioned, and the SW issues too. And Wii U ports aren't capable of re-positioning the Switch in the comsumer minds, of course, compared to the Wii U.

Disagree. I think proposing Wii U games as port is a really smart idea. The thing is, it's not because of quality of these gams that the Wii U didn't attract the mass market. The problem was the console itself, and the fact that these games (the one that are getting ported) arrived way too late on the market (one year and a half later for the earliest of them, Mario Kart 8) didn't help either. There's nothing unattractive in Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Mario Maker or Xenoblade X. Almost everyone of them actually sold millions units on Wii U (barring Xeno X, which is more of a niche game). It's completely sensed to release them on Switch again, since they proved to be efficient games, that have the potentiel to sell way more if they released on a console that wasn't already dead in the waters. Nobody will think about the fact that they were Wii U games, nobody (in the casual market ofc) will care about it. They didn't play these games, so they will on the Switch.

I think the PS4 proved that enough with all the ports it had on its first year.

WESTERN THIRD PARTY SUPPORT:
It seems so far that the leaks are focused on this aspect, that worries me. We heard about few games (compared to the competition), we have heard about not-so-great titles on paper (LKD told us so yesterday, the reaction even here on GAF about the Rabbids crossover were mixed at best), we have heard about old ports. So far, nothing significant in terms of "change the trend" about Nintendo home console western third party direction and in this very moment both the "opinion leaders" in the message boards, nor the mass market has a Nintendo home console in mind as something capable of guarantee a constant third party support. This is a tough obstacle to be solved to push people into the purchase of a new home console imho.

You seems to not understand how leaks works. So far, we know where most leaks are coming from : Ubisoft. They're well know to be a leak-machine and that their French studios tend to tell everything to whoever came to them. It's only natural that the first things we heard about were Beyond Good & Evil 2, Just Dance, Raving Rabbids. Do you get what that means ? That means that most sources of Laura Kate Dale come from Ubisoft, thus leaking more their projects than the others.

My point is : you cannot say that because we haven't heard enough leaks means that the support isn't there. Leaks are unpredictable since they are off-planning. They're not official, they're not controlled.

Also, what I bolded is wrong. If you actually look at the leaks, most of them were aimed at the Nintendo games (more specifically : the Wii U ports). So far, we only got 5 third-party leaks, with two games from Ubisoft : BGE2, Raving Rabbids, Dark Souls 3, The Silver Case and Guardians of the Galaxies. The Nintendo games alone outclasses what we know about the software.

INTERNAL MERGING SUPPORT:
nothing so far, apart our deduction and logic conclusion (and hopes) point to an actual merging of Nintendo first party internal teams efforts. I think that exposing from the beginning the actual advantages of a true hybrid console in terms of nintendo first party stream of software would be CRUCIAL to the success of the console itself. Being able to play proper version of FE, AC, Pokemon (the only rumor so far poiting toward this direction), would be as great as knowing from the beginning that being an hybrid would mean being able to play MK9 + DLC plus another new game from the same team in the same timeframe during which we played MK7 and MK8 on 3DS and Wii U last generation. Proposing MK8+ isn't as clear as announcing MK9 and specifying that the same team is also working on Diddy Kong Racing 2, for example.

We're two weeks away from the event. The games have not been officially announced. There's nothing worth worrying in the fact we haven't heard about portable games on Switch since we have, officially, heard about no games on the Switch. Only a few leaked, but they are in no way describing the whole picture. We only got fragments of the puzzle, but we cannot reconstitue everything from the few pieces we have.

JAPANESE THIRD PARTY SUPPORT:
bonded to the previous posts, it would be GREAT for the initial success of the console, knowing that Switch will be home for the vast majority of the usual Japanese Nintendo portable third party support, with MHXX, Inazuma Eleven, SMT, and other tipycal brands coming to Switch (even with a proper graphical overhaul - for cross-generation games, done like MH3Ultimate on Wii U, for example). That would automatically leads us to think "I'll buy ONE console to get the usual lineups of TWO, WOW!"
Instead nothing so far has been rumored in this direction.

Same as above. Plus, you're being dishonest here. We know that there's a huge change that Inazuma Eleven Ares is coming to Switch. We know that, officially, Dragon Quest X (popular MMO) and Dragon Quest XI (the most popular japanese game of 2017) are releasing on Switch. We know that some strategy-rpg from Koei Tecmo (don't remember the name) is coming.

Again, it would be dishonest to describing the full picture with the few pieces we have.

So, I'm concerned about the screwing up a potential good concept (hybrid), ideal for their actual struggling in the market, trying too hard to position the harware as a home console, nerfing down the home console specs to present a portable that could present development/positioning issue for actual Japanese portable-oriented brands, not pushing out tons of software, even trying to fill the line up with Wii U ports.

Hopefully people will stop pretending I'm trolling and start reading my posts and reasoning.

Hoping, me as first, that my thoughts are wrong and that Nintendo will present somethjing reach, complete and coherent on January 12.

But the aformentioned points aim to a basic concept: the can't present a "normal" event, or a "usual" lineup of contents for a Nintendo home console and thinking of being successfull. There are many points that need an overhaul to..."switch" people minds about a Nintendo home console product.

So, in conclusion, it will be the same as with past attempts at answer : your worries aren't based on rational arguments. You're trying to prove that because we haven't heard unofficially of things, these things aren't there. You're trying to pass as logic that, because we haven't got massive leaks of third-party games, they actually don't exist. Your logic is that everything should leak at some point, where, in fact, it's not the case at all.

Tl;dr : you're projecting yourself waaaaaaaaaaaay too much with these leaks.

From his ass clearly.

Yeah... I don't personally "believe" the information, but I love his attention to detail. A lazy fake would have just mentioned things like the Destiny sequel and Battlefront 2, they decided to come up with names for everything and I love it. From Splatoon: ReFresh to EA sports "Anywhere", they at least put some time into thinking about names.

Scrawnton

"Super Mario Switcharoo"
"Super Smash Bros. Fusion"
"Xbox One Prime"

lol at these fucking names

I'll give him credit. Xbox One Prime is a pretty good name.

The disappointing thing at that fake list is that it will make us sad when Nintendo can't come close to giving us that...

bomblord1

Banned

Beyond Destiny

I'm currently reading through it and I'm filing it under "Too good to be true" nice creative writing exercise though.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I'll give him credit. Xbox One Prime is a pretty good name.

The disappointing thing at that fake list is that it will make us sad when Nintendo can't come close to giving us that...
No, the disappointing thing is that some random dude on the internet can throw out fake fantasies at you and you can't separate it from affecting your reality.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I spent too much time reading this Tales From My Ass rumor list, but I have to admit I really want the updated version of Splatoon to be called ReFresh.

Scrawnton

No, the disappointing thing is that some random dude on the internet can throw out fake fantasies at you and you can't separate it from affecting your reality.
The thing is, especially in regards to the third party list, that those are the games Nintendo SHOULD be getting onto Switch.

If Switch can run those games even with effects turned down, they should have those games. Every third party game that could run on Switch but isn't there will be a failure for Nintendo.

I'm not even saying this ironically: I 100% support the word Switcharoo being attached to franchises. Mario Switcharoo, Yoshi Switcharoo, Smash Switcharoo.

It's insane, but unforgettable. I love it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom