• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
3DS had a ton of hype that only died down after there was nothing to play at launch and for several months later.
2 million might mean nothing depending on the release date.
Early March-> not good. Late March->good

Neoxon

Just give me that Megaman Legends 3 on Switch, Capcom. I don't care even if it means no more Resident Evil or Street Fighter games to Switch.
Sony already made sure that there won't be a Street Fighter game on the Switch, & I'm 50/50 on if RE7 is gonna come to the Switch.

That said, if we're gonna get a Mega Man game, it's gonna be whatever game they're making to launch alongside the cartoon.

Peltz

3DS had a ton of hype that only died down after there was nothing to play at launch and for several months later.
2 million might mean nothing depending on the release date.
Early March-> not good. Late March->good

Was 3DS hyped? I remember everyone saying it was going to be slaughtered by the Vita (similar to DS pre-release predictions) even though we all know that didn't happen.

Was 3DS hyped? I remember everyone saying it was going to be slaughtered by the Vita (similar to DS pre-release predictions) even though we all know that didn't happen.
Nah, the e3 was huge. It was post release when we saw Vita's price and the 3DS's lack of games and specs for the price that the system died down.

On a scale of F-Zero to Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games,

What are the chances of a Fire Emblem announcement that isn't moblie? Actually will they talk about moblie? Animal crossing is a pretty deal.

AzaK

Did it affect the PS4 and Xbox One?

No it did not so I don't see this as a problem especially if these games are enhanced releases.

Yeah but those machines had lots of third parties and were great powerful machines (compared to consoles). Switch might be ports and the odd new Nintendo game.

AdanVC

At least then I can play it on the toilet. Saves me the trouble of shitting my pants!

On a serious note, that would be an incredible third-party get for Switch. I don't "expect" third party ports of every game, but I would love to see them. If Blizzard ports Overwatch, I will do 90% of my gaming on Switch.

LMAO! That is a nice and pretty darn convenient way to sell the Switch version of RE7. Yes I would looove to have Overwatch on Switch.

But then I think about Splatoon and since this two games are kinda similar on the multiplayer aspect... maybe Nintendo don't want that kind of competition on their own console :(((

Who knows. Maybe we can also get Resident Evil Remake & REZ, as well.

Oh man it'll be so damn nice :') Fingers crossed.

GDGF

Soothsayer
NIS confirms that they're working on Switch stuff

"Nippon Ichi Software will deliver various content from Gifu Prefecture to the world. In 2017 as well, we will actively launch new IP in the consumer game market. But it doesn’t end there. We will steadily take on new initiatives. We also have Nintendo Switch project(s), so please look forward to that. (There has been some skepticism about our company’s participation, but…. we’re in proper development!)"

Neoxon

Do you guys think they'll announce Pokémon Stars at the January event or are you of the belief that it'll be held off until whenever The Pokémon Company feels like showing it off (be it April or at E3)?

As for me, while announcing it in January would be a cool way to coincide with the launch of the Pokémon Bank for Sun/Moon, I could see them waiting a few months so they don't piss off those who got Sun/Moon for Christmas.

Do you guys think they'll announce Pokémon Stars at the January event or are you of the belief that it'll be held off until whenever The Pokémon Company feels like showing it off (be it April or at E3)?

As for me, while announcing it in January would be a cool way to coincide with the launch of the Pokémon Bank for Sun/Moon, I could see them waiting a few months so they don't piss off those who got Sun/Moon for Christmas.
I honestly doubt it.
Pokémon company tend to announce their own stuff. They needed their own 5 minute direct for concept art and logos.

Would be a nice surprise.

Neoxon

I honestly doubt it.
Pokémon company tend to announce their own stuff. They needed their own 5 minute direct for concept art and logos.

Would be a nice surprise.
That's the other reason why I'm thinking that they'll hold off on revealing Stars. The Pokémon Company more-or-less goes to the beat of their own drum. They'd probably want the reveal of Stars to not share the spotlight with any other Nintendo reveals, especially when (as you mentioned) TPC did a 5-minute Direct just to reveal Sun/Moon without any actual gameplay.

LordKano

"Nippon Ichi Software will deliver various content from Gifu Prefecture to the world. In 2017 as well, we will actively launch new IP in the consumer game market. But it doesn’t end there. We will steadily take on new initiatives. We also have Nintendo Switch project(s), so please look forward to that. (There has been some skepticism about our company’s participation, but…. we’re in proper development!)"

MAKAI WARS PLEASE
it will never happen

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
That's nonsense. We all know MH and AA will release on Switch. What we want to know is about the games that aren't that easily predictable.

oh, we entered the fanfiction phase?
darkstalker than

good to know!

This is a tough one! A January announce could certainly feel like a jab at current players, but I think Nintendo needs to be as upfront as possible about Switch's year-one lineup. Get it all out in the open as of January and save the rest of their energy to talk 2018 and beyond later in the year.

Clessidor

I expect the event to focus mostly on games coming between launch and August and the device itself.
I doubt we will see Pokémon at the event. TPC does always their on things when it comes to marketing and I doubt that Stars will be close to launch. So I expect them to announce Stars on a later event.

LordKano

It's nice to remember that the already-announced Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 has no platforms yet. It's the first time that an Ace Attorney game is announced without platforms tied to it.

Neoxon

AA and MH on Switch are hardly on level with a new Darkstalkers. Both are more likely to release than some Capcom games that actually have been announced (Deep Down).
Yeah, Ace Attorney & Monster Hunter on the Switch are more of a when than an if. And while something like a new Darkstalkers is pretty unlikely right now, people thought another MvC game in the near future was impossible, too. You can never really read Capcom, much like how you can never really read Sakurai.

MacTag

Banned
It's nice to remember that the already-announced Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 has no platforms yet. It's the first time that an Ace Attorney game is announced without platforms tied to it.
Yes DGS2 screams Switch. Really the entire series is ripe for porting now thanks to 3DS and iOS too. Get ready to buy the Phoenix Trilogy a 6th time.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I expect the event to focus mostly on games coming between launch and August and the device itself.

I've seen this opinion a lot and I'm just not convinced- this isn't a Nintendo Direct or even an E3- this is a huge, multi day event and the first true showcase for the system. I think (hope) you are going to see a very clear roadmap for the first 1-2 years of the system- people buy systems based on hype.

Neoxon

Good point, we should have gotten a platform announcement for The Great Ace Attorney 2 by now.

Yes, I also like those rumors.

- I don't think Pokémon Stars (or whatever they're gonna call it) has any new pokémon, that would make it incompatible with Sun & Mon. It's either 8th gen Pokémon game or those "new" Pokémon are just new Alolan forms that exclusive to "that" version of the game.

Is there something that would prevent Nintendo from just patching the new Stars-exclusive Pokemon in to Sun/Moon? Didn't they patch those new legendary Pokemon in to X/Y and AS/OR?

For trading, is there not some way with friends codes or whatever it is Nintendo has now, to have the Switch send "X Pokemon" to a server, and then the 3DS connect to that server and receive it?

I can see battles causing a problem but at the same time that would happen even without new Pokemon since it's across different hardware. Trading, I'd imagine, would be more simplistic and easier to accomplish.

But I don't see any reason why trading wouldn't work, though again I have no idea how the back end for that kind of thing works.

Oregano

I've seen this opinion a lot and I'm just not convinced- this isn't a Nintendo Direct or even an E3- this is a huge, multi day event and the first true showcase for the system. I think (hope) you are going to see a very clear roadmap for the first 1-2 years of the system- people buy systems based on hype.

Yeah if Nintendo only show the first few months worth of stuff they are going to be raked over the coals for not having games.

People seem to love vaporware

LordKano

Is there something that would prevent Nintendo from just patching the new Stars-exclusive Pokemon in to Sun/Moon?

For trading, is there not some way with friends codes or whatever it is Nintendo has now, to have the Switch send "X Pokemon" to a server, and then the 3DS connect to that server and receive it?

I can see battles causing a problem but at the same time that would happen even without new Pokemon since it's across different hardware. Trading, I'd imagine, would be more simplistic and easier to accomplish.

But I don't see any reason why trading wouldn't work, though again I have no idea how the back end for that kind of thing works.

They didn't even bothered to patch XY with the new Mega-Evolution introduced in ORAS.

Shaii

At least then I can play it on the toilet. Saves me the trouble of shitting my pants!

On a serious note, that would be an incredible third-party get for Switch. I don't "expect" third party ports of every game, but I would love to see them. If Blizzard ports Overwatch, I will do 90% of my gaming on Switch.

Oh, I would double dip so hard for Overwatch on Switch... Just thinking about it brings a smile to my face

Neoxon

If its just an upgraded SUN/MOON i don't see why Pokemon wouldn't be hyped at the Switch event
Because it may anger those who bought Sun/Moon during the holidays & that The Pokémon Company typically does reveals on their own terms. While it's possible that Stars could be at the January event, TPC could very well wait until Spring to do the reveal.

That list is a hodgepodge. Some truths in it but lots of shit - like Mass Effect Andromeda. That isn't happening.

Not now, but Bioware doesn't say never:

Gamble also shot down plans for a version of Andromeda on Nintendo’s hybrid console, the Switch.

“Yeah, not right now, no,” he said. “We’re not planning on it. If the Switch launches and everyone’s just yammering for Mass Effect, who knows.

“We never want to close doors like that.”

http://stevivor.com/2016/12/mass-ef...orpio-enhancements-likelihood-switch-release/

Net

Because it may anger those who bought Sun/Moon during the holidays & that The Pokémon Company typically does reveals on their own terms. While it's possible that Stars could be at the January event, TPC could very well wait until Spring to do the reveal.

They could just do a teaser without showing footage.

They didn't even bothered to patch XY with the new Mega-Evolution introduced in ORAS.

So it's more of a "doubt they'll bother to do it since they didn't before" than a "it's not technically possible to do?"

I guess to be fair to GameFreak, XY and ORAS were different generations of Pokemon, whereas Sun/Moon/Stars would all be in the same gen, so I'm still holding out hope! I won't be crushed or anything but I don't see any reason for them not to at this point.

oti

Banned
RE7 not making it to switch would honestly surprise me. It's like the switch not getting call of duty next year.
Why? Resident Evil 7 is a weird ass game and somewhat of a gamble for Capcom. I bet they'd rather see how it performs on the other platforms before they consider Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom