• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctre81

I'd buy Resident Evil 7 on Switch if it offered something PC and PS4 don't have.

It would be default. Being able to be played anywhere. No load times?

Remember the times when Resident Evil used to be a big thing on Nintendo consoles? I don't.

???

Resident_Evil_2002_cover.jpg

51GXYSKK0GL.jpg

Why? Resident Evil 7 is a weird ass game and somewhat of a gamble for Capcom. I bet they'd rather see how it performs on the other platforms before they consider Switch.
Barring exclusivity agreements they seem to put RE everywhere it will run, then release it again on the next machines, and the next machines. Why hold back here?
Like when RE4 was almost a Gamecube exclusive?
0, REmake, 2port, 3port all announced together at Japanese GameCube launch was kind of a big deal too.

Like when RE4 was almost a Gamecube exclusive?

And then got immediately ported to the PS2, and with PS2 exclusive content as well.

REmake and Zero got held hostage (contractual reasons?) until Capcom woke up and realized more people should play those games, since they weren't done proper justice being GameCube exclusives.

And then got immediately ported to the PS2, and with PS2 exclusive content as well.

REmake and Zero got held hostage (contractual reasons?) until Capcom woke up and realized more people should play those games, since they weren't done proper justice being GameCube exclusives.

They were done plenty justice and still hold a place in my heart. Still pretty much Gamecube exclusives given that they were ported so much later.

What are the latest potentially valid rumors on Mario Switch? A surprising lack of leaks and interest in what could be the best game on the console (and one of the best launch games of all time) .

(Yes, I am one of those people who loves adventure Mario, 3D World Mario, and Galaxy games equally)

Net

What are the latest potentially valid rumors on Mario Switch? A surprising lack of leaks and interest in what could be the best game on the console (and one of the best launch games of all time) .

(Yes, I am one of those people who loves adventure Mario, 3D World Mario, and Galaxy games equally)
It is rumored to be open world.

oti

Banned

Not a rumour but just a feeling on my side, I dont think we'll see Mario at launch. If Mario was released at launch and Zelda in summer the Jimmy Fallon bit would make no sense. People will want to play Zelda on that Nintendo thing they saw on TV and Nintendo is very open about promoting Zelda lately.

I'm saying Zelda at launch, Mario in Autumn/Winter.

Not a rumour but just a feeling on my side, I dont think we'll see Mario at launch. If Mario was released at launch and Zelda in summer the Jimmy Fallon bit would make no sense. People will want to play Zelda on that Nintendo thing they saw on TV and Nintendo is very open about promoting Zelda lately.

I'm happy either way. Those are both my two biggest favorite franchises after all.

I did notice GoNintendo included slightly more from Laura Dale (than what was quoted by that poster on the previous page), and she is saying Mario will be day 1.

Debirudog

If this turned out to be true, then whoo boy, those leakers are gonna have it rough again.

They've already shown Zelda before and had it playable. Mario would essentially have been a whole new announcement, and they were already showcasing Mario Run. They likely wouldn't want to reveal a new Mario game on a late night TV show instead of a worldwide Nintendo Direct.

Neoxon

On top of the recent rumors, there's also the issue of Skyrim. Why buy Skyrim when you can buy BotW on Day 1? This may be the thought process of new Switch owners, which could doom the Switch's potential third party support going forward.

7Th

If Phoenix Wright jumps to Switch there would be very little preventing it from going to
iOS/Android.
They could just do a teaser without showing footage.

It would be pointless to reveal Stars without showing footage since the reveal trailer would ideally do something like show every Pokemon game running in their actual resolution before suddenly jumping to 720p at the very end.

Doctre81

Hey now! You ignoring Zero huh? Huh? �� ��

But yeah, it was big with Nintendo at one time. It also got UC and DC. Which were exclusive until ps move came out.

Forgot to post it lol. I own zero as well. Followed the game since it's origins as a late n64 game.

Effect

Didn't Capcom cut the legs from under the the GameCube version of RE4 by announcing the PS2 version before the GameCube game even was allowed to be released? I remember the game didn't have a chance to do as well as it could have because people decided to wait out the PS2 version before even seeing what the Cube version was like or if it was better.

Edit:

I'm going to be honest here. I really hope Nintendo goes all out with launch titles and launch window titles. I don't care what third parties offer at this point. If something interesting comes out out from them I'll get it but they're not going to be a deciding factor for me. One of the biggest mistakes Nintendo made with the Wii U was allowing a window for third parties to release titles and that plan failed. It failed because third parties don't bother to advertise their own games. It failed because of the age of the games. It failed because of the quality of the games compared to the other versions and by that I mean features not graphics. It failed because of the lack of communication and support of the games. Lack of information on DLC for Call of Duty, matchmaking in various games going unfixed for long periods of time, speed of patches or in ZombiU case if there would even be a patch at all, etc. Then there was the general drought of titles. That drought of quality titles hurt the Wii U a LOT. More then I think people realize. Nintendo needs to push as many of their titles or partnerships as hard as possible and for as long as possible to make sure they sell as many units (of those games and systems) as they can regardless of what third parties are offering as well. Those are the games that are going to move units. Don't rely on the third parties. That's a recipe for failure. With all development teams (console and handheld, both 1st party and 2nd party) making games I think they can do it.

That's not to say third party game's aren't important, they are. However they're not the games that move systems when it comes to Nintendo systems. If they're good then people will buy them. If they offer something that makes the Switch version worth buying (portability goes a long way with many genres) then they'll be bought as long as it's not lacking. If a third party game happens to be so great that it moves systems then great! I just think depending on them is a mistake. A constant flow of games from Nintendo is what is needed and I hope they can deliver that.

Oersted

In short, no.

have there been any leaks/rumours about bluetooth audio support?

Nope and honestly, I don't think it'll be supported.

The need to have proper voice chat support or it's going to alienate a lot of potential buyers.

Yeah wouldn't count on it with Nintendo...

In short, no.

I think the relationship between Capcom and Nintendo in the gamecube years were pretty spotty overall.

The fact that Capcom was planning on releasing multiple Nintendo exclusives during the era of the PS2 says to me their relationship was actually quite strong. Financial realities are probably the only reason they ported most of those games elsewhere.

Platy

0, REmake, 2port, 3port all announced together at Japanese GameCube launch was kind of a big deal too.

forgot
making all non shitty FPSs resident evil released for the gamecube till that moment.

The fact that Capcom was planning on releasing multiple Nintendo exclusives during the era of the PS2 says to me their relationship was actually quite strong. Financial realities are probably the only reason they ported most of those games elsewhere.

aaah the Capcom 5 exclusives

Only 4 released and only 1 exclusive

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
forgot

making all non shitty FPSs resident evil released for the gamecube till that moment.

aaah the Capcom 5 exclusives

Only 4 released and only 1 exclusive
P.N.03 aka game of that generation!

I agree. Plus why would Capcom would want to be in cahoots with Sony other than for money?

The same company with their Anti-2D policy (or at least with SCEA)? The same company in which Capcom had to threaten to not release certain games on their platforms being PS1 & PS2 unless games such as Mega Man 8 & Mega Man X4 had gotten released in the US on their consoles?

Reki

Sun and Moon are likely going to keep selling for awhile and officially announcing it would take some wind out of its sales.

I agree. It's true that they have to show enough games at the event to make customers confident in the console, but take the position of a PR team that has to get the momentum going for the rest of the year. You need some big announcement at E3 and a holidays tittle, distributing your other two big titles (3D Mario and BOTW) between launch and the end of the year. You can't fill the schedule only with Wii U ports (even considering they are going to move some consoles) as they can damage the image of the catalogue if it is too dependent on them.

The marketing in the industry rests heavily on the surprise factor and hype management (for better or worse) and they will be better served by announcing Stars closer to release.

I always thought that was more about Mikami and his standing within the company at the time than Capcom. As Mikami's issues with the PS2 was well known. Meaning that it really didn't have much to do with Nintendo as much as it had to do with him wanting to get away from the PS2. For example, RE4 could've ended up being a Xbox exclusive

Bachus was furious. The translator explained: Mikami had confirmed what Microsoft had heard, that he was frustrated developing for PlayStation 2, which was tough to work with. But his team's bonuses were tied to game sales. He needed a reason, a way to explain the shift away from the wildly successful PlayStation 2, the dominant platform of the time, to the Xbox, which had yet to launch, and which in most Japanese eyes was doomed to failure. “What do you guys have to offer?” he asked, bluntly.

Eventually an exasperated Mikami boiled it down: 'what is your philosophy? Sony says games are entertainment, something larger, fuelled by the Emotion Engine. Nintendo says games are toys, created by the legendary Shigeru Miyamoto, perhaps the greatest game developer of all time. What do you feel?' Microsoft had no answer.

Bachus flagged down Pat Ohura, the head of Xbox Japan at the time, and told him to jump on the next train to Osaka to salvage the deal. But he was too late. Mikami had already met with Nintendo and pledged Resident Evil to its consoles. “That's why Resident Evil 4 was a Nintendo exclusive and it took a while for it to come to Xbox. That was very frustrating.”

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-13-why-xbox-failed-in-japan

Mikami was involved in all of the Capcom Five projects. Working as a director, writer, or producer on them. Once Mikami's standing with the company eroded so did all those exclusivity deals. Capcom watched as new IP's on the PS2 like Onimusha and DMC either sold over a million units in Japan or at least did really well, while their instant million seller in RE was suddenly struggling having moved away from the platform.

I always thought that was more about Mikami and his standing within the company at the time than Capcom. As Mikami's issues with the PS2 was well known. Meaning that it really didn't have much to do with Nintendo as much as it had to do with him wanting to get away from the PS2. For example, RE4 could've ended up being a Xbox exclusive

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-13-why-xbox-failed-in-japan

Mikami was involved in all of the Capcom Five projects. Working as a director, writer, or producer on them. Once Mikami's standing with the company eroded so did all those exclusivity deals. Capcom watched as new IP's on the PS2 like Onimusha and DMC either sold over a million units in Japan or at least did really well, while their instant million seller in RE was suddenly struggling having moved away from the platform.

Oh yeah, Mikami definitely had a huge role in the push for GCN exclusivity. My point is that Capcom wouldn't have allowed those dealings to go as far as they did if their relationship with Nintendo wasn't healthy, even if many of the execs were wary of the idea. I don't really see any evidence to suggest Capcom and Nintendo were on shaky ground during that time period.

I have a bad feeling that someone is gonna be a dick and pretty much spoil the January presentation.

I swear if someone reveals the new IP before the Jan presentation I'm gonna be salty.

Oersted

Kyuta Yamada, Director at Arc System Works

Known for: Gotcha Racing, Sabaku no Nezumi-dan!
Favorite title of 2016: Inside

“Next, I want to make a game that can be introduced in a Nintendo Direct. I will do my best.”

Aaw

grim-tales

It's nice to remember that the already-announced Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 has no platforms yet. It's the first time that an Ace Attorney game is announced without platforms tied to it.

I dont think the first DGS has been announced for localisation which sounds a shame.

Vacation is coming to a close soon and then only a week and change left for the presentation! I saw there's been lots of rumors and things Laura have said.

TLZ

Banned
I have a bad feeling that someone is gonna be a dick and pretty much spoil the January presentation.

I swear if someone reveals the new IP before the Jan presentation I'm gonna be salty.

You better stay off neogaf until reveal then. You don't want to risk it.

Hopefully the moderators will prevent that from happening by threatening them with bans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom