• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMONKUMA

I have a bad feeling that someone is gonna be a dick and pretty much spoil the January presentation.

I swear if someone reveals the new IP before the Jan presentation I'm gonna be salty.

If anything hope that's it's nothing similiar to the leakage of Microsoft's E3 conference. It's whole schedule was leaked, the order of games and what they were talking about in the presentation all of it was up already.

So in regards to "achievements" on Switch, it seems very likely that a system like that would tie into My Nintendo. How do ya'll think we'll see this work for third party games?

I would love a world where every game that comes to Switch has achievements with My Nintendo coins tied to them, but I'm not sure Nintendo would do that. Thoughts?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So in regards to "achievements" on Switch, it seems very likely that a system like that would tie into My Nintendo. How do ya'll think we'll see this work for third party games?

I would love a world where every game that comes to Switch has achievements with My Nintendo coins tied to them, but I'm not sure Nintendo would do that. Thoughts?

I would be positively surprised by every Nintendo games receive the same treatment in terms of My Nintendo coins integration.
No way third party games will see the same imho

Blues1990

Oh man it'll be so damn nice :') Fingers crossed.

I hope that's the case. Both the remake and REZ had originated from the Nintendo GameCube, so it's only fair that the HD versions will pop up on the Nintendo Switch, as I can't think of either game being that intensive for the system.

Oh yeah, Mikami definitely had a huge role in the push for GCN exclusivity. My point is that Capcom wouldn't have allowed those dealings to go as far as they did if their relationship with Nintendo wasn't healthy, even if many of the execs were wary of the idea. I don't really see any evidence to suggest Capcom and Nintendo were on shaky ground during that time period.

Yeah the real Capcom exclusive "gotcha force" has nothing to do with Mikami

Trago

Getting mainline Assassins Creed would say really good things about Switch's capabilities. o_O

Probably not. If a publisher really wanted to, they'd port a game to whatever platform they wanted regardless of power. Just look at multiplatform Wii ports, or the Vita.

Oregano

Probably not. If a publisher really wanted to, they'd port a game to whatever platform they wanted regardless of power. Just look at multiplatform Wii ports, or the Vita.

Wii and Vita never received multiplatform Assassin's Creed. Liberation wouldn't have been a thing if they could have ported the main games to Vita.

LordKano

Oh God, OBE1 making videos about "12 days of Switchmas", with leaks "100% certified, ask Emily Rogers, ask Liam Robertson", and he starts with AC: Egypt coming to Switch. And Laura states she's heard the same.

Oh God, what the heck is going on.

Oh I didn't watch the video, that will be nice !

Trago

Wii and Vita never received multiplatform Assassin's Creed. Liberation wouldn't have been a thing if they could have ported the main games to Vita.

I'm saying in general, publishers can port to whatever they want. Hardware limitations is a non factor, unless we're talking VR.

Hell, Activision thought it was a good idea to port CoD to the Wii for a few years because those ports sold decently for some reason. If a publisher is looking at the Switch for their games, it's for business reasons.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Oh I didn't watch the video, that will be nice !

Let's be honest here: OBE1 is...well, insane, going by his own videos and even just his video previews. :lol Sincerly (diplomatic tone incoming) I don't know how much whatever is going to say in the next 11 days of Switchmas will be true; it could be that he gets something right thanks to sheer insanity and/or luck.

LordKano

Let's be honest here: OBE1 is...well, insane, going by his own videos and even just his video previews. :lol Sincerly (diplomatic tone incoming) I don't know how much whatever is going to say in the next 11 days of Switchmas will be true; it could be that he gets something right thanks to sheer insanity and/or luck.

Well this one is backed by Laura, we'll see for the others.

Most engines these days are scalable, so you can port whatever you want assuming the studio wants to put he time and effort into making it work. That doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a great version of the game, but you could get it to work. You could kinda see that with something like Dead Rising on the Wii. It "worked", but was in no way a preferable way to play the game.

Interfectum

Most engines these days are scalable, so you can port whatever you want assuming the studio wants to put he time and effort into making it work. That doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a great version of the game, but you could get it to work. You could kinda see that with something like Dead Rising on the Wii. It "worked", but was in no way a preferable way to play the game.

I think the more telling thing, if the rumor is true, is the day/date release with Xbone/PC/PS4. A massive AAA game being ported to a presumably much lower powered system and released on the same day as the others could give us some insight on how easy it is to port to the system.

Oregano

Chop Till You Drop wasn't really a port. The entire structure of the game was different and it actually ran on a completely different engine(the Resi 4 engine).

LordKano

Chop Till You Drop was also one of the worst games I've ever played in my life, and that's coming from someone who saw some high shit.

Ah sweet, my "insider" report is looking good so far!

I think Geno has gotten things right in the past simply by throwing everything he can think of at the wall. I can make a similar prediction: at least 2 unannounced PS4/XB1 games will have a Switch version in 2017 and 2018.

Anyway, I think this is the first we're hearing of a straight port between a PS4/XB1 game and a Switch game, right? Not that it's surprising but it's good to hear.

I guess Sonic 2017 counts...

MacTag

Banned
A better Capcom example would be UMVC3 or SFXT on Vita versus 360/PS3. That's a more comparable power gulf to (undocked) Switch and XBO/PS4.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh God, OBE1 making videos about "12 days of Switchmas", with leaks "100% certified, ask Emily Rogers, ask Liam Robertson", and he starts with AC: Egypt coming to Switch. And Laura states she's heard the same.

Oh God, what the heck is going on.

OK, I'm curious now.

oti

Banned
Getting mainline Assassins Creed would say really good things about Switch's capabilities. o_O

I don't know. It could be part of the deal between Nintendo and Ubisoft. You have to release the next mainline AC on Switch and in return you get the Mario IP for an RPG with the Rabbids.

Unless they really put effort into the Switch version and Nintendo fans buy it, it should go like every other 3rd party game. Inferior to PS4 Pro/Xbox Scorpio, not enough people buy it, market backs away from Switch.

Oregano

I don't know. It could be part of the deal between Nintendo and Ubisoft. You have to release the next mainline AC on Switch and in return you get the Mario IP for an RPG with the Rabbids.

Unless they really put effort into the Switch version and Nintendo fans buy it, it should go like every other 3rd party game. Inferior to PS4 Pro/Xbox Scorpio, not enough people buy it, market backs away from Switch.

I don't think the Rabbid RPG would be worth rocking the Assassins Creed boat for Ubisoft, not when it's already in a precarious position.

It's more likely that Ubisoft wants to test the whole "portable" home console version thing, which could wind up making up for the inferior visuals. I'm actually betting a solid amount of third parties will expect this to work, at least for the first year or so.

Hopefully they're right.

18-Volt

I have my suspicions, I don't expect next AC to hit in 2017, I believe Ubisoft have also hinted in the past. But if they manage to release in 2017, it's gonna be a late 2017 game. What we need to know what Ubi have in for launch window.

But this version of AC has an advantage, it's portable. For some people it's a major deal. There's no way market "backs away from Switch" as long as it gets good third party support. Let's not forget; it'll be only portable gaming device for a long time.

oti

Banned
I don't think the Rabbid RPG would be worth rocking the Assassins Creed boat for Ubisoft, not when it's already in a precarious position.

With the TV show Ubisoft is trying to position the Rabbids as their big Kids franchise. AC is missing and the movie won't set the world on fire. Watch Dogs 2 as a franchise is basically done and who knows about For Honour (I think that franchise has got a ton of potential but the gameplay looks too demanding for the mainstream crowd). They need to add value to their portfolio to keep up their defenses against Vivendi.

Rabbids X Mario is like a Jackpot for Ubisoft when it comes to publicity and mindshare.

Heck, I could imagine the Rabbids in Mario Run during the Switch launch.

LordKano

I have my suspicions, I don't expect next AC to hit in 2017, I believe Ubisoft have also hinted in the past. But if they manage to release in 2017, it's gonna be a late 2017 game. What we need to know what Ubi have in for launch window.

Well, they already stated that Just Dance 2017 is a launch game. Mario RPG is also rumored to be at launch. That's already two games. Let's look at what else they have in store for 2017 :

- For Honor : launching one month before the Switch, will they bother to make a late port ? I doubt it, I also don't think they have high expectations for that game. It doesn't seem like it's high-budget.

- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon : launching ten days before the Switch, the port wouldn't be too late to not be worth it. It may be a launch game.

- South Park : delayed from december to "Q1 2017" without any date, it's the more likely candidate for a Switch release. I even suspect thay they're waiting for the event to show a new trailer and to give the release date, explaining why they still haven't announced one.

Reki

I thought they choose to skip 2016, with WD2 being their holidays title, with the objective to deliver a "different" and polished AC.

oti

Banned
Well, they already stated that Just Dance 2017 is a launch game. Mario RPG is also rumored to be at launch. That's already two games. Let's look at what else they have in store for 2017 :

- For Honor : launching one month before the Switch, will they bother to make a late port ? I doubt it, I also don't think they have high expectations for that game. It doesn't seem like it's high-budget.

- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon : launching ten days before the Switch, the port wouldn't be too late to not be worth it. It may be a launch game.

- South Park : delayed from december to "Q1 2017" without any date, it's the more likely candidate for a Switch release. I even suspect thay they're waiting for the event to show a new trailer and to give the release date, explaining why they still haven't announced one.

Ghost Recon Wildlands is such a Wildcard though. Can it be played on the Switch properly? It's got to be always online, does it not? Also Voice Chat, account systems, servers? Sounds like a mighty challenge for a new Online System.

KooopaKid

Banned
I can't see the next AC working on Switch. It will be such a downgrade that everyone will stick to the PS4/XBO versions. Not worth the hassle IMO, except if it's a different game altogether.

LordKano

Ghost Recon Wildlands is such a Wildcard though. Can it be played on the Switch properly? It's got to be always online, does it not? Also Voice Chat, account systems, servers? Sounds like a mighty challenge for a new Online System.

Every upcoming Ubisoft games will be always online. Including Assassin's Creed, so...

Pastry

Banned
Is this OBE1 person reliable? Do they have a legit track record with leaks? I don't keep up with Youtubers or Twitter so I've never heard of them.

oti

Banned
Every upcoming Ubisoft games will be always online. Including Assassin's Creed, so...

... so Ubisoft won't bother and will instead release exclusive B-tier games on Switch? How does that sound? Sounds pretty cool to me tbh. I've got a PS4 for AC anyway.

LordKano

... so Ubisoft won't bother and will instead release exclusive B-tier games on Switch? How does that sound? Sounds pretty cool to me tbh. I've got a PS4 for AC anyway.

I meant that if it gets Assassin's Creed, that means that they don't have problems with always online games on Switch.

Thraktor

You can play through it in single player (not sure if it has any unnecessary always online requirement, though). I actually feel like it would work pretty well on Switch as a LAN multiplayer game. Getting together a sufficient number of consoles and TVs to play local multiplayer on a game like this is generally pretty difficult, but with Switch it should be pretty easy to get a game together whenever and wherever you want.

I can't see the next AC working on Switch. It will be such a downgrade that everyone will stick to the PS4/XBO versions. Not worth the hassle IMO, except if it's a different game altogether.

I don't think any PS4/XB1 game will actually seem like as much of a downgrade as people are thinking. The Switch does have much more modern hardware than those consoles after all, and supports all of the modern engines from what we know. Simple flop comparisons don't really tell you much across different architectures, especially when one is a few years newer than the other.

Anyway I think this is the first Switch game we're hearing of that is only rumored to be available otherwise on PS4 and XB1 that we know anything about. Sonic 2017 is one too but we have no idea what that's going to look/play like. AC is a pretty known quantity.

It would be veeeery interesting if South Park is featured at Nintendo's conference. I'm not sure if I can remember a game with that type of humor featured in one of those conferences or events.

Interfectum

I don't see how you can say that yet considering A) we still don't have a complete picture of Switch's capabilities and B) we haven't seen much of the new AC yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom