• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
You can play through it in single player (not sure if it has any unnecessary always online requirement, though). I actually feel like it would work pretty well on Switch as a LAN multiplayer game. Getting together a sufficient number of consoles and TVs to play local multiplayer on a game like this is generally pretty difficult, but with Switch it should be pretty easy to get a game together whenever and wherever you want.

The idea is great. I'd love to see something like this but I'm afraid Nintendo will handle everything through the internet. Maybe they could use some kind of special wireless connection though?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it here but there is a Japanese ad in a magazine for the public demo at Tokyo Big Sight on January 14th and 15th:

https://twitter.com/japanese3ds/status/813791208552144896/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Seems that the hands on event last 7 hours each day, and according to the reddit post it is free for public entry and you get chances to win the console.

We've known the start-end times for the public hands-on sessions at Tokyo Big Sight for a while. Nice looking print ad, though :D

Thraktor

The idea is great. I'd love to see something like this but I'm afraid Nintendo will handle everything through the internet. Maybe they could use some kind of special wireless connection though?

Both DS and 3DS have supported direct wireless connections for multiplayer, and the Switch trailer shows two Switches being used to play a multiplayer game next to a basketball court under an overpass, so unless they were somehow getting a Wifi connection out there it would seem to confirm that they're still supporting this functionality.

oti

Banned
Both DS and 3DS have supported direct wireless connections for multiplayer, and the Switch trailer shows two Switches being used to play a multiplayer game next to a basketball court under an overpass, so unless they were somehow getting a Wifi connection out there it would seem to confirm that they're still supporting this functionality.

You're right. Now I remember the rumour about a new 1 vs. 1 mobile mode in Splatoon 2.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it here but there is a Japanese ad in a magazine for the public demo at Tokyo Big Sight on January 14th and 15th:

https://twitter.com/japanese3ds/status/813791208552144896/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Seems that the hands on event last 7 hours each day, and according to the reddit post it is free for public entry and you get chances to win the console.

Hot damn! 7 hours is a damn long time for a public demo. Good on them for offering plenty of opportunity for people to try it out. When I first saw that ad, I thought it was for the event on the 13th and that 2 of those hours were dedicated to the presentation.

So... What are the odds that Nintendo will actually open up pre-orders on the 13th? Does anyone know how long we had to wait to pre-order the 3DS/Wii-U? I've got some time off work schedule for the morning of the 13th (I live in the US) because I'm hoping I can just hop into my local Gamestop as soon as they open and pre-order.

- South Park : delayed from december to "Q1 2017" without any date, it's the more likely candidate for a Switch release. I even suspect thay they're waiting for the event to show a new trailer and to give the release date, explaining why they still haven't announced one.

I would love that game on Switch would be day one for me without a doubt.

J@hranimo

Banned
Oh God, OBE1 making videos about "12 days of Switchmas", with leaks "100% certified, ask Emily Rogers, ask Liam Robertson", and he starts with AC: Egypt coming to Switch. And Laura states she's heard the same.

Oh God, what the heck is going on.

Egypt? And now I'm interested.

I dont like the rabbids mario game leak thingy. Since when did Ubisoft excel at making RPGs? That would be like an average first person shooter game developer making a rpg about robot dinosaurs.

boxter432

I dont like the rabbids mario game leak thingy. Since when did Ubisoft excel at making RPGs? That would be like an average first person shooter game developer making a rpg about robot dinosaurs.
South Park games?

Never seen an OBe1 video before and man is he hard to watch. The forced voice intonations (like a yelling bill Cosby impersonation almost) and hand movements are exceedingly annoying. Day 2 leak is supposedly about switch vr...?

Problem isnt Ubisoft making RPGs. It's Rabbid being a low tier IP with a low quality track record. If it was a Rayman Mario game, now people could be excited.

Da-Kid

Problem isnt Ubisoft making RPGs. It's Rabbid being a low tier IP with a low quality track record. If it was a Rayman Mario game, now people could be excited.
Yeah, I'm not sure why they chose the Rabbid's over Rayman. It's as if every Mario crossover cannot do what people want. Case and point, the Mario and Sonic Olympic Games..

Child of Light was also done by Ubisoft and it was an excellent game.

UBI turned the CoL team into a studio within UBI Montreal. But at least from what i've seen they're now focused on small experimental games. In particularly VR stuff. They made Eagle Flight and apparently have some horror VR game in development. Although they're supposed to have three additional games on top of that. But as a studio they're supposed to have a cap of no more than a 100 people. It doesn't seem like this Mario/Rabbids game would be a small project.

NateDrake

Getting mainline Assassins Creed would say really good things about Switch's capabilities. o_O

Wii U had AC3 and AC Black Flag. All this would mean is that the Switch is capable of handling the engine of AC: Egypt and that a port is feasible. The extent in which the title is scaled will be the big question.

It's an encouraging sign for future third-party support.

Child of Light was also done by Ubisoft and it was an excellent game.

Child of Light was ok only on the front IMO was that it was a small scale game and a side scrolling RPG. Very hard to break down a game that unique in a small package. Mario and Rabbids have to be a huge game if they using the Mario IP and Nintendo better be developing that as well and Nabbit better be in there.

Charamiwa

Banned
I can't believe we're about to take Obe1 seriously lol. That dude is something else and I wouldn't pay attention to anything he has to say. But if it's true that he came across some legit infos, then it might be an interesting ride...

Laura Dale just said in her AMA that sometimes getting infos is as easy as a leaker liking your work and wanting to spread some news. Could be that someone came across Obe1, liked his goofy vibes and decided to throw him a bone. That would be a bit surreal, but if what he says is getting backed up by Laura... Might be a funny ride.

I don't know if Rayman is in a better shape than the Rabbids right now.

Rayman is consistently in quality games made by people who care. Even in his mobile output. I'd say it's a much better shape than the Rabbids

oti

Banned
Wii U had AC3 and AC Black Flag. All this would mean is that the Switch is capable of handling the engine of AC: Egypt and that a port is feasible. The extent in which the title is scaled will be the big question.

And neither of them were worth it for Ubisoft. Business is a far greater hurdle to overcome for Switch ports than tech.

NateDrake

And neither of them were worth it for Ubisoft. Business is a far greater hurdle to overcome for Switch ports than tech.

Absolutely. Tech won't be a tough hurdle to overcome. Long-term support will be determined by whether or not the effort yields results on ROI. AC Egypt has long been rumored for NX release, and it being a 2017 release makes sense from a business standpoint.

Reki

Regarding the sales of third party games on Switch, I have a hard time with estimations. "Amazing" is a pretty unlikely option considering the majority of its fanbase probably has another gaming platform, but given the nature of the system and that we still have some unknowns, an AC game could perform in any level between "bomb" and "great". Anyways, it's great to have hints of support at least on the first year.

jmizzal

I have seen something about Assassins Creed on Switch, seems Laura backed it up

I think Ubisoft is gonna support Switch with all its games like they did wiiU, Switch is easier to port to and will likely sell much better then WiiU, no reason for them not to do that again.

Oregano

Sure but Wii U was pretty equal to PS3/360, they never bothered porting those games to Vita. It's still a good sign on a tech basis.

The business realities are a totally separate issue.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I can't see the next AC working on Switch. It will be such a downgrade that everyone will stick to the PS4/XBO versions. Not worth the hassle IMO, except if it's a different game altogether.

Getting mainline Assassins Creed would say really good things about Switch's capabilities. o_O

What?!
I think that the recent rumors has spread misinformation about the actual capabilities
a multiplatform game as AC that would of course developed with the OG XBONE in mind would run decently also on Switch.
Commercial (target age, demographic and so on...) reasoning will be way harder to solve for Switch about this kind of games (even if it is Ubi, and even the Wii U had TONS of Ubi support at launch)

Rodin

I'm pretty sure Ubisoft wants to give it a shot because they want to see if they can sell the concept of a full fledged AC on a handheld device, and possibly because the audience that usually buys Nintendo's portables but not their consoles will likely be interested in the Switch, so they might have a much larger audience to sell the game to compared to AC III and IV on Wii U. It makes sense as a business decision, i hope it pays off.

I can't see the next AC working on Switch. It will be such a downgrade that everyone will stick to the PS4/XBO versions. Not worth the hassle IMO, except if it's a different game altogether.

I think those DF numbers really, really hurt the perception about the Switch capabilities, despite not telling us much until we know the number of cuda cores.

Just so you know, even in the worst case scenario (256 cores at those clockspeeds, basically a downclocked TX1) the gap would be much smaller than 360-One, and yet people keep drawing this pic about the Switch being in the same position compared to the Xbone as the Wii was to the Xbox 360, which is all kinds of ridiculous. Were Dragon Age and Metal Gear "different games altogether" on last gen consoles? Would a game made for PS4/One really be an entirely different experience when running on a device that's much better than PS360?

Thraktor

Sure but Wii U was pretty equal to PS3/360, they never bothered porting those games to Vita. It's still a good sign on a tech basis.

The business realities are a totally separate issue.

No, they created an entirely separate game for Vita pretty much from scratch. If they were willing to do that, then porting an existing game to Switch shouldn't be that surprising, even if they have to dial things down quite significantly to get it to work.

Oregano

No, they created an entirely separate game for Vita pretty much from scratch. If they were willing to do that, then porting an existing game to Switch shouldn't be that surprising, even if they have to dial things down quite significantly to get it to work.

Right but they wouldn't have even bothered if they could have ported the main games.

marmoka

Banned
South Park does not need too much power, I think it could run smoothly on Switch. It was delayed till March, there are many chances to come out in the new console. It will probably have Amiibo support for superhero costumes.

I'm pretty optimistic with South Park and switch.

jmizzal

I'm pretty sure Ubisoft wants to give it a shot because they want to see if they can sell the concept of a full fledged AC on a handheld device, and possibly because the audience that usually buys Nintendo's portables but not their consoles will likely be interested in the Switch, so they might have a much larger audience to sell the game to compared to AC III and IV on Wii U. It makes sense as a business decision, i hope it pays off.

I think those DF numbers really, really hurt the perception about the Switch capabilities, despite not telling us much until we know the number of cuda cores.

Just so you know, even in the worst case scenario (256 cores at those clockspeeds, basically a downclocked TX1) the gap would be much smaller than 360-One, and yet people keep drawing this pic about the Switch being in the same position compared to the Xbone as the Wii was to the Xbox 360, which is all kinds of ridiculous. Were Dragon Age and Metal Gear "different games altogether" on last gen consoles? Would a game made for PS4/One really be an entirely different experience when running on a device that's much better than PS360?

Yea we have people acting like Switch specs are Wii level, its already been praised by 3rd party devs, and we know its easy to develop for. Porting games over are not gonna be that hard, and its gonna sell much more then the WiiU, so the sales are gonna be much better on software.

South Park does not need too much power, I think it could run smoothly on Switch. It was delayed till March, there are many chances to come out in the new console. It will probably have Amiibo support for superhero costumes.

I'd buy the Switch version of South Park.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I really can't wait to see the reactions around here when we'll see that many Switch games won't look too different from what can be produced by the PS4/Xbox One.

J@hranimo

Banned
That's kinda my attitude, too, haha.

There's such a lack of African-related anything in the game industry so I can't help but get excited for this stuff, even if it isn't good.

I can't believe we're about to take Obe1 seriously lol. That dude is something else and I wouldn't pay attention to anything he has to say. But if it's true that he came across some legit infos, then it might be an interesting ride...

Laura Dale just said in her AMA that sometimes getting infos is as easy as a leaker liking your work and wanting to spread some news. Could be that someone came across Obe1, liked his goofy vibes and decided to throw him a bone. That would be a bit surreal, but if what he says is getting backed up by Laura... Might be a funny ride.

Rayman is consistently in quality games made by people who care. Even in his mobile output. I'd say it's a much better shape than the Rabbids

Eh, I'm down for the ride. To be fair Assassin's Creed was on the Wii U around launch so this isn't too far-fetched. I am curious what else this "source" did tell him though. Should be really interesting at most and downright entertaining at least.

Yea we have people acting like Switch specs are Wii level, its already been praised by 3rd party devs, and we know its easy to develop for. Porting games over are not gonna be that hard, and its gonna sell much more then the WiiU, so the sales are gonna be much better on software.

Too many people always like to put down Nintendo just because that they have refused to be like Sony & Microsoft who are all about bigger graphics & cinematic movi-*Clears throat*-I mean, games.

A lot of people here don't understand specs. I'm not going to pretend I do completely, which is why I sit back and watch, but too many people seem to frame every post in the form of [SWITCH] [MULTIPLIER] [OTHER SYSTEM] and nothing more

I think that even the Wii U is capable of run South Park.

thefro

I really can't wait to see the reactions around here when we'll see that many Switch games won't look too different from what can be produced by the PS4/Xbox One.

Some people will watch a Digital Foundry video and claim they saw glaring differences all along and how 1080p hurts their eyes or other such nonsense.

Rodin

This is about what we should expect (kinda)

PS4
demdps4t1z90.png

Switch

This is what people are picturing in their minds

PS4

Switch

Doubt it will be really different.
Agreed, I've seen nothing mind blowing about DQ 11 on ps4 for a graphical standpoint, it looks like something that we have already seen with some fan made with this engine but nothing more IMO. Aside the resolution on the switch I don't think there will be too much difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom