• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I dont believe they will but we'll see.

I think it is safe to assume that they will look not that far away

Web have many sources stating that is easy to port multiplatform games developed also for OG Xone and even the worst case scenarios put the switch at 3/3,5 times more capable than wiiu
With portable mode helped by the 720p screen visualization

They will not look better of course

Im thinking more like this. Find it hard the PS4/XO graphics will be on Switch.

maxresdefault.jpg

Agreed, I've seen nothing mind blowing about DQ 11 on ps4 for a graphical standpoint, it looks like something that we have already seen with some fan made with this engine but nothing more IMO. Aside the resolution on the switch I don't think there will be too much difference.

What I think, is that Square had made Dragon Quest XI good looking on PS4, but not to the full extent like with Final Fantasy XV, just to keep both PS4 & Switch versions identical or near identical.

If that's the case, you should definitely get it on Switch, for not only having the option of playing it on the go, but also because it's on a gamecard.

I really can't wait to see the reactions around here when we'll see that many Switch games won't look too different from what can be produced by the PS4/Xbox One.

Well, it will likely depend on which games you're talking about. Most games on either platform are indie or mid-tier games. You're unlikely to see much of a difference when talking about those. AAA are an entirely different beast. The Xbox One can't even run many AAA games at a native 1080p resolution. So, I think if you're honestly believing that the most visually demanding games being developed currently aren't going to show a much of a difference when viewed on the PS4/Xbox One vs. the Switch, then you're likely setting yourself up for an unnecessary disappointment.

Yes, I am. Will 2K be making a Switch exclusive version? I dont think they will be able to port the PS4 version so they will just port over the xbox 360/PS3 version.

Dont forget Wii U had 2K as well and it looked like the 360 version!

LordKano

Yes, I am. Will 2K be making a Switch exclusive version? I dont think they will be able to port the PS4 version so they will just port over the xbox 360/PS3 version.

Because it couldn't get the PS4 version. Switch isn't a Wii U, it's vastly more powerful than it in docked mode.

I don't think it'll be Low v. Ultra from a Console comparison. Low v. High maybe. But you have to consider framerates as well.

High vs Ultra don't change that much on PC, it's more or less the same with a few toggles off.

Nah dude, it won't be that hard. Even undocked, it's way more powerful than a PS3.

Really, this blows my fucking mind just thinking about it this way. I mean growing up, most would've thought Nintendo would just do this:

Game Boy/Game Boy Color = Portable NES
Game Boy Advance = Portable SNES
Nintendo DS = Portable N64
Nintendo 3DS = Portable GameCube
Nintendo Switch = Portable Wii

It's weird, GBA and even more DS were under their console counterparts, but then 3DS with its modern shaders felt like it leaped to near PS360 territory (but worse than GC in other ways) with games like Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (and even more so with Monster Hunter Stories, thank you Capcom).

Now Switch basically went into MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE and is basically near PS4 and XBO? Beyond PS360 and even Wii U? What kind of voodoo is this? :p

Its more of a Wii U than PS4 come on now

It's using much more modern architecture than a PS4, just clocked far lower. GFLOPS don't tell the whole story- you can get a lot of nice visuals out of newer architecture if you have very good APIs, which is something Nvidia is known for. People are going to be surprised at the visuals this will produce.

There's a middle between Wii U and PS4. It's not either one or the other.

Show me the middle. Ive been asking for months, even when I was debating it would be a hybrid, show me some games in the middle..

edit: So far no proofs. So we would have waited to January 2017 to finally see games in this magical middle spectrum?

NateDrake

Its more of a Wii U than PS4 come on now

Not really. It has more in common with PS4/Xbox One than it does Wii U. Modern architecture, more RAM, and support for engines like UE4.

It's using much more modern architecture than a PS4, just clocked far lower. GFLOPS don't tell the whole story- you can get a lot of nice visuals out of newer architecture if you have very good APIs, which is something Nvidia is known for. People are going to be surprised at the visuals this will produce.

That's why comparing the power of Switch to Wii U is meaningless if GFLOPS is the only tool of measurement. It doesn't accurately reflect the performance of Switch.

LordKano

Show me the middle. Ive been asking for months, even when I was debating it would be a hybrid, show me some games in the middle..

edit: So far no proofs. So we would have waited to January 2017 to finally see games in this magical middle spectrum?

What ? You want games that are running on a hardware more powerful than a Wii U, and less powerful than a PS4, showing what the Switch could be ?

Easy. Launch any game on Steam, and toggle the "Medium" graphical option in the settings. Here you are.

Here's something from the tech thread:

You are right. Here is it with the HD7650k that we are talking about:
DOOM 2016 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpffDBOHwhM
Battlefield 1 looks extremely low poly on environments - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP_UqiGiyX8

What's the VRAM for Switch btw? The 4GB we are talking about?

Those are PC games at settings somewhat similar to what we should expect for the Switch. Compare that to PS4 footage if you want.

Dremorak

Banned
What ? You want games that are running on a hardware more powerful than a Wii U, and less powerful than a PS4, showing what the Switch could be ?

Easy. Launch any game on Steam, and toggle the "Medium" graphical option in the settings. Here you are.

Medium is closer to ps4

I keed I keed

Im thinking more like this. Find it hard the PS4/XO graphics will be on Switch.
Hmm, I'm not sure about that. The Switch obviously will have less raw power, but the GPU features matches or surpassees the PS4/XB1. So, we may see cases where raw geometry takes a hit (especially undocked) but the shader quality is high.

Not really. It has more in common with PS4/Xbox One than it does Wii U. Modern architecture, more RAM, and support for engines like UE4.

That's why comparing the power of Switch to Wii U is meaningless if GFLOPS is the only tool of measurement. It doesn't accurately reflect the performance of Switch.
Yeah but just how Nintendo doesnt release specs.. what does this mean in "real world" performance or however you want to say it. The 3DS technically had more modern hardware than the Wii but I wouldnt say the games looked better than Wii games. Sure some shaders and some shadows but not overall...

what I told Drake
Here's something from the tech thread:

Those are PC games at settings somewhat similar to what we should expect for the Switch. Compare that to PS4 footage if you want.
I'll check it out on lunch

And that's why Nintendo really needs to get a graphical showpiece game or two. Something like DOOM taking advantage of Vulkan, or a new Wave Race which is what they've typically used to show off new tech.

It would be a shame if they didn't really take the opportunity to get a game like this for the January event.

jmizzal

Thank you

Switch is closer to Xbox one thats the middle between WiiU and PS4

I have a Xbox one and the games look very good

Yeah but just how Nintendo doesnt release specs.. what does this mean in "real world" performance or however you want to say it. The 3DS technically had more modern hardware than the Wii but I wouldnt say the games looked better than Wii games. Sure some shaders and some shadows but not overall...

It means everything for real world performance. You don't sound like you what you're talking about at all.

NateDrake

And that's why Nintendo really needs to get a graphical showpiece game or two. Something like DOOM taking advantage of Vulkan, or a new Wave Race which is what they've typically used to show off new tech.

It would be a shame if they didn't really take the opportunity to get a game like this for the January event.

Absolutely. I've expressed this fear before, but folks cannot use Zelda as a measuring stick for Switch performance. Nintendo cannot lean on other Wii U ports/remasters as means of showcasing the strengths of Switch. They need original software (ideally 3D Mario in January) and third-party software to show the advancements Switch offers over that of the Wii U. Whether it be DOOM, Skyrim, or some other PS4/Xbone title that finds its way to Switch.

Zelda has been the focus for too long. They need to 'Wow' people with new stuff that was built for Switch and takes advantage of the hardware.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

That doesnt make sense
Switch even by the worst rumors is way more powerful than a wiiu so obviously way more powerful than ps3
Plus it is more modern and capable of getting downgraded assets
Plus nobody is developing ps3 versions anymore

Neoxon

That doesnt make sense
Switch even by the worst rumors is way more powerful than a wiiu so obviously way more powerful than ps3
Plus it is more modern and capable of getting downgraded assets
Plus nobody is developing ps3 versions anymore
If I recall, the Eurogamer numbers for Mobile Mode are a bit above the Wii U. That said, Nvidia's flops do more than, say, AMD's flops.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Absolutely. I've expressed this fear before, but folks cannot use Zelda as a measuring stick for Switch performance. Nintendo cannot lean on other Wii U ports/remasters as means of showcasing the strengths of Switch. They need original software (ideally 3D Mario in January) and third-party software to show the advancements Switch offers over that of the Wii U. Whether it be DOOM, Skyrim, or some other PS4/Xbone title that finds its way to Switch.

Zelda has been the focus for too long. They need to 'Wow' people with new stuff that was built for Switch and takes advantage of the hardware.

An AC Egypt first world premiere would be a good fit for the purpose

It means everything for real world performance. You don't sound like you what you're talking about at all.

I obviously dont Im reaching out because I dont know. In real world performance I mean "what does that actually mean for the Switch?" Will developers be put the effort through? Will that really help with parity and 3rd party ports?

Im not some tech expert and not trying to be one, just looking for proof in clarification.

NateDrake

A title of that magnitude would serve the role well.

I obviously dont Im reaching out because I dont know. In real world performance I mean "what does that actually mean for the Switch?" Will developers be put the effort through? Will that really help with parity and 3rd party ports?

Im not some tech expert and not trying to be one, just looking for proof in clarification.

In real world performance, it means even undocked at 160 gflops it would outperform the Wii U because of modern tech, more RAM, and better engine support. The GFLOPS number doesn't mean all that much when using it to draw a comparison as the comparison is outdated and the different architecture and technology creates imbalance. 1GFLOP on Wii U isn't the same as 1GFLOP on Switch.

oti

Banned
Here are some comparisons of "Max to Low settings" on PC versions of some games. Even then, it's missing most of the time things that will be in Switch version, such as shadows or stuff like that :

What's the point of these comparisons exactly?

Thank you

Switch is closer to Xbox one thats the middle between WiiU and PS4

I have a Xbox one and the games look very good

Nah. Not even close TBH. The Wii U's GPU is around 10x weaker than the XB1 actual performance, and was limited to DX10-range architecture. It also had less than a 1/5th of the RAM for games, and had a much less capable CPU. The XB1's GPU is only about 50% weaker, actually have a slightly faster CPU, and roughly matches in other areas.

Here are some comparisons of "Max to Low settings" on PC versions of some games. Even then, it's missing most of the time things that will be in Switch version, such as shadows or stuff like that :

Thing is your comparison makes no sense since some settings are lower than PC's low on PS4/One. Things like draw distances for exemple.

Showing more or less what to expect from downgraded ports of PS4 games to Switch.

Nope.

LordKano

Thing is your comparison makes no sense since some settings are lower than PC's low on PS4/One. Things like draw distances for exemple.

Nope.

I'm not saying they'll look like that. I'm saying that this kind of downgrade, aka reducing on shadows/anti-aliasing/LOD/lighting is what publishers will do to port their console games on Switch. Not rebuilding them from scratch.

If I recall, the Eurogamer numbers for Mobile Mode are a bit above the Wii U. That said, Nvidia's flops do more than, say, AMD's flops.

It's also that Maxwell flops do more than even GCN flops, not to mention Wii U's flops. The Nvidia vs. AMD flop comparison seemingly is much more valid in a PC environment than a console environment, but the modern architecture of Maxwell or Pascal does have a bit of an advantage over the GCN architecture in the OG PS4 and XB1. Pro and Scorpio will get back to about even in that area if I'm not mistaken.

That would be a very big win, yes.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I cant even tell the difference between those pics. I'm not even joking. I've never been good with this graphics comparison stuff. I choose to believe that's a good thing.

I'm not saying they'll look like that. I'm saying that this kind of downgrade, aka reducing on shadows/anti-aliasing/LOD/lighting is what publishers will do to port their console games on Switch. Not rebuilding them from scratch.

Right, but there's far more to this. You also took games that either were cross gen or weren't that scalable. The problem of the comparison is also about IQ. And resolution/IQ is what can ruin a game far more than shadows/anti-aliasing/LOD/lighting.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Countdown to Switch GIF have begun!

f2qDToP.gif

I think people are going to figure out what kind of theme I'm going for countdown. I hope that y'all would enjoy it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom